• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Different game, different hype.

Personally, I doubt the mp for Halo 5 will be anything special, based on how I feel about 4 and MCC.

Campaign is looking hawt, to me, though. But I rarely pre-order games. Will probably pick up Halo 5 closer to launch day just for the pre-download digital.

--

rmvoil.gif

vqymqi.gif

Badass.

Madness

Solid points Strickland. I think I'm just over MCC and what a flop it was. The anger has just subsided. If you go back through the OT's I also level some pretty strong criticism at them, and don't absolve them of any responsibility for what MCC was, it's their name on the cover.

I'm also wary when I hear things like BTB coming soon after launch. But I figure, why be pessimistic as opposed to optimistic even though we all have a right to be. My Xbox One is gathering dust. Not only did MCC kill a lot of Halo love/hype, but almost all gaming hype. I spend more time talking about games than playing. I bought this console for MCC and I probably still have under 60 matches played. I get ger what you're saying though.

CRIMSONxSERAPH

Neo Member
Blah blah reasons numbers blah fear blah dead

All of that is your opinion and that's fine, I guess. I can't say I disagree that the MCC was a major disappointment on several levels.

The one place I have issue with your assessment is when you basically equate fandom with online multiplayer matchmaking only. You mentioned CE anniversary, but only in reference to it's multiplayer connections. Most of the issues with the MCC dealt with matchmaking and not the campaigns. Most all of your complaints overlook 343i's tenure in terms of story development and progression.

343i had carried the story so much further in these last few years than I think any of us anticipated, and done so superbly IMO. In all honesty, I'm looking forward to the story of Halo 5 moreso than I've ever been able to say about the Bungie games.

Is 343i perfect? By no means, and the MCC is statement to that. But just because their multiplayer track record may not be astounding, this doesn't equate to a company failing in all Halo aspects as you seem to believe. Multiplayer Matchmaking is over portion of Halo's legacy, while story is another. Failing in one does not equate to failing in all. May I remind you that Bungie gave us Reach? And yet many (I'm assuming such as yourself) forget this because all they remember is the beloved Halo 3.

So before you "vent" to fans about being naive, look in the mirror first.

As an aside, typically when someone "vents" about people, it isn't done to the very people that are talked down about. Typically, that is called berating instead of venting, FYI.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Don't take this personal, I'd like to vent here.

Now I go through your responses and all I see is hype and build up, based on what? Is it justified? Did 343i prove themselves? Why do you give them such an easy pass?

Halo MCC was the worst unfinished insult of a product I've ever had the displeasure of having for the first few months. Halo The Anniversary was Reach re-skinned (MP mostly). What did 343i do to prove themselves?

You're calling fans who've had this franchise as part of their daily lives as "idiots" just because they didn't fall for a PR series of videos called "Sprint", and you're disrespecting their opinions for the simple fact that they truly believe 343i to simply be INCOMPETENT and ruined a series that is still buggy and messy in the form of MCC.

I think Halo MCC did more damage to the franchise's legacy than you guys would realize, or would like to admit. Not being able to play the game we paid $60 for the first few months did a much more irreparable damage than many would like to admit.

Not only was MCC the perfect homage to an almost 15 years worth of legacy, it was the equivalent of the perfect party that was the worst party of all time. It was in fact the worst experience I've ever had in videogaming, period.

Halo MCC should have broken Live records, it was the perfect opportunity, the perfect reunion and the perfect online game..It's not even in the top 10 played games on Xbox Live.

The catastrophic launch was one of the final nails into Halo's dwindling popularity's coffin for me and to many of my friends who've followed this franchise for all this time.

Top 5 reasons why I believe the Halo torch is fading out IMO.

5- Halo MCC is still broken, can you find matches? sure, if you're willing to wait 30 seconds up to two minutes. In today's standards? This is atrocious. Calling this to be such a huge project and mistakes happen, weird how mistakes occur when a company is able to iron out most of them 3 months later, a 3 month delay would have been the sensible thing to do but oh no. Release now patch later.

4- It's not even on the top 10 most played games on Xbox Live..

Four complete Halo games didn't even break the top 10..doesn't that say something to you? They tried to fix the game but it was too late, not that many people play this as there would have if the launch went smoothly.

3- The game was released completely broken, the fans didn't deserve this, and for 343i to act so surprised and say "We're investigating complaints", EVERYONE was complaining about even the single player being broken.
Bonnie Ross released an apology for the hot mess that is MCC, but an apology does not fix a broken product.

2- Halo numbers on Twitch are just an embarrassment and not worth writing about.

1- Halo's channel on YouTube has 230,000 subscribers. Battlefield has 1M, Call of Duty has 3M. The series that practically started Machinima doesn't have the same exposure and popularity as other franchises. Halo 5's effort to rekindle the franchise's popularity is like ice skating up a mountain. I keep trying to look for gameplay of any of the 4 games on YouTube and it's a chore.

But it's okay, keep up the hype, at least you're enjoying your time. Beta was okay? So was Battlefield 4's beta, it was okay, the game launch was the biggest online disaster of all time alongside with MCC.

Don't doubt if someone is a fan for justifiably not trusting in 343i, because they still haven't earned that trust. All I read in this thread reminds me of the unbelievable hype before MCC was released, and this train is only heading to one familiar destination that based on past experiences is not something almost all would like.

halo 5 beta was fun. the end.

Makes a lot of sense and I expect a lot more games will start using it this gen. Video streaming sites like Hulu do it already, because people are far more sensitive to changes in frame rate than they are lines of resolution in most cases. As long as it's not abused as a way to compensate for poor optimization and rather an added benefit, I don't see the issue.

More games should do this, imo. I'm extremely sensitive to tearing and frame drops. I get motion sickness - couldn't play Skyrim on my PC at launch because of this. A mod called HiAlgoBoost added in dynamic resolution scaling and I was good to go, smooth as butter :)

Karl2177

Moaning about Gaming Side people who feel differently.

Ye are so cool.
Pretty much my thoughts. Then again, HaloGAF should have been locked years ago so it's p w/e at this point.

Don't take this personal, I'd like to vent here.

Don't doubt if someone is a fan for justifiably not trusting in 343i, because they still haven't earned that trust. All I read in this thread reminds me of the unbelievable hype before MCC was released, and this train is only heading to one familiar destination that based on past experiences is not something almost all would like.
I'm not getting H5G at launch. I'm going to wait a couple weeks for all the reviews to come in. This way I can see if multiplayer works day 1, if features are broken or missing, and if my friends enjoy it. 343i's track record is disappointing to me, and they have to earn me as a consumer back.

Solid points Strickland. I think I'm just over MCC and what a flop it was. The anger has just subsided. If you go back through the OT's I also level some pretty strong criticism at them, and don't absolve them of any responsibility for what MCC was, it's their name on the cover.

I'm also wary when I hear things like BTB coming soon after launch. But I figure, why be pessimistic as opposed to optimistic even though we all have a right to be. My Xbox One is gathering dust. Not only did MCC kill a lot of Halo love/hype, but almost all gaming hype. I spend more time talking about games than playing. I bought this console for MCC and I probably still have under 60 matches played. I get ger what you're saying though.

This is pretty much the definition of "boarding the hype train". I will ignore previous faults just so I can be optimistic. There's a way of being optimistic while still being critical.

danwarb

I don't understand what's so "WTF" about that?

Makes sense. Though I would hope that it doesn't drop below 1328×1080 or 900x1600 or whatever. Anything less looks awful and I blatantly refuse to pay money for a 720p game in 2015. A first party one at that.

I'd take 30fps if it meant I could choose to have higher res.

I'll take 720/60 over 1080/30 for a FPS every time. As long as there's decent anti-aliasing of some sort.

-Ryn

Banned
I don't blame anyone for being skeptical.

I just don't think that Halo 5 and the MCC are even remotely comparable. One was a multitude of games from different consoles ported by 5 different studios and then hastily tied together under a highly unrealistic deadline while the other is a game developed entirely in house with plenty of evidence pointing towards it being a solid game.

Plus I play games to have fun so not getting excited for a game that looks really awesome doesn't do much for me. But then I didn't play the MCC at launch so what do I know :p

Watched all 4 episodes of the new Sprint, it's pretty good.
More of this please.
Personally more interested in the Campaign stuff, but it felt refreshingly honest, had a good length.

I think the Guardian design is pretty silly, I don't like it.
Why does it have a face? The Forerunners didn't feel the need to give monitors like 343 a face.
They don't have big look-at-us intimidation faces carved into the Halos or The Ark.
The aesthetics continue to perhaps be the weakest part of how 5 is looking right on (stylisticly leading on from 4 of course).
Sound effects are still iffy too.

That sunglasses and boat little bit of bravado at the end... is that where the bro animations came from?
Pretty much my thoughts. Then again, HaloGAF should have been locked years ago so it's p w/e at this point.

This is pretty much the definition of "boarding the hype train". I will ignore previous faults just so I can be optimistic. There's a way of being optimistic while still being critical.
No comment on the former, but totally on the latter.

Haruko

I love it when people tell me what I shouldn't enjoy and look forward to.

I don't know how I'd get through life without their valued guidance.

I want Halo to be a powerhouse franchise as much as anyone, but I'm still going to try and enjoy it even if more people would rather play Black Ops 17.

HMCC launch was horrible; no argument there. But they make dedicated efforts to fix it, and we're getting more lore (books, HuntTheTruth, etc) and eSports (HCS) support than ever before. After the fun I had with the H5 beta, there's plenty for me to be excited about. If you aren't excited, good for you.

OEM

Different game, different hype.

Personally, I doubt the mp for Halo 5 will be anything special, based on how I feel about 4 and MCC.

Campaign is looking hawt, to me, though. But I rarely pre-order games. Will probably pick up Halo 5 closer to launch day just for the pre-download digital.

--

rmvoil.gif

vqymqi.gif

Badass.

Oh so thats arbiter, when i saw the trailer I thought it was just some elite. But the actor in the gif is arbiter. So spartan fighting with arbiter? That's lock's fire team right? Thought they were working with Arbiter.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Halo 4 looks like it could belong on next generation consoles, but Halo 5 looks like a 360 game.

SimilarFabulousCoyote.gif

anyone that cant see a HUGE improvement over halo 4's visuals, even im MCC, should take off the nostalgia googles or get their eyes checked.

Oh so thats arbiter, when i saw the trailer I thought it was just some elite. But the actor in the gif is arbiter. So spartan fighting with arbiter? That's lock's fire team right? Thought they were working with Arbiter.

or more likely they just got the same guy to do all the Elite mocap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom