• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh so thats arbiter, when i saw the trailer I thought it was just some elite. But the actor in the gif is arbiter. So spartan fighting with arbiter? That's lock's fire team right? Thought they were working with Arbiter.

More likely that they've got the mocap guy doing more than one role, since the elite in the bottom gif doesn't look anything like Arby.

Are there other hoppers/gamemodes/playlists other than Arena and Warzone ?

As far as we know, the divide is an entire separate "suite" or "division" of play rather than a major playstyle split like Legendary-Infinity. Think Halo 3's setup with the following options:

Campaign
Matchmaking
Warzone (Firefight-esque menu where you just choose a map, possibly difficulty and Skulls)
Arena (1-16 players)
Forge
Theater (RIP)
Halo Channel

Haven't gotten any playlist details yet. "Arena" technically covers everything that isn't Warzone, so it'll probably be in multiple playlists.

I was wondering because it looks like Arena is ranked and Warzone is unranked and anyone that wants to play a small scale unranked match can't. It seems it might force people who care about ranks to play with those that don't, like how it was in the later time in H4 and perhaps MCC. Unless there are unranked games in Arena.

is TMCC fixed now or still issues?

http://youtu.be/zSWBD5bbu8M
http://youtu.be/raiSsTAlguk

Other than that it's pretty much fixed.

Well actually search times in BTB are still too long and often MM will randomly not work until you reset the game (not just me, saw it on Kampy's stream the other night and various friends also confirm).

Also if Rumble Pit's going to be unranked (as it has been for 7 months now) then why can't I go in with a party for fun times? Halo 3 is still exclusively AR start in there too.

nillapuddin

FFA slayer/obj
2v2 slayer/obj
4v4 slayer
4v4 obj
6v6 slayer/obj
8v8 slayer/obj
HCS/"Pro" slayer/obj
Multi Team slayer/obj

Action Sack
Breakout
Community Maps
Flood/Infection
Snipers
SWAT
Ricochet/Grifball
Warzone

Niche Returning Gametypes:
Stockpile, Head Hunter, VIP, Regicide, Juggernaut, Race.

Edit:
How many playlists do yall think we can support at once?

I think those 16 are the only ones worthy of an entire playlist, I think all the game types we have can fit into those molds

Edit 2:
DLC 4v4 slayer/obj
DLC 8v8 slayer/obj

I imagine for the first month or so they might want to feature the new stuff?

Nope. Tried several times last night to get a Halo 2 co-op session going and the campaign never loaded. Worked alone for each of us, but not when trying to play online.

Very disappointing ;'[

In retrospect, I don't know what I was thinking with that statement.

Money on Halo 3 being available on backwards compat and therefore MLG gametypes being playable on XOne before MCC gets them (despite being promised for November 11 launch)?

nomis

In retrospect, I don't know what I was thinking with that statement.

Money on Halo 3 being available on backwards compat and therefore MLG gametypes being playable on XOne before MCC gets them (despite being promised for November 11 launch)?

People may hate on the h3 BR spread/bullet travel for competitive and call it as a whole inferior to h2, but MAN, Halo 3 was the peak of my enjoyment for watching and playing MLG game types. I need MLG rules flag on Narrows in MCC.

Madness

Moaning about Gaming Side people who feel differently.

Ye are so cool.

Difference between feeling differently and outright trolling that goes on though. Half the time, it's not even discussing in any meaningful way.

This is pretty much the definition of "boarding the hype train". I will ignore previous faults just so I can be optimistic. There's a way of being optimistic while still being critical.

True. Funny thing is, Halo 5 Guardians is the only big name game for Xbox One, I haven't pre-ordered. Can't explain why. Even Gears Ultimate I just pre-ordered. You're right, there's a lot of things about H5 to be critical about, especially with regards to MCC and how it's been handled/communicated.

FFA slayer/obj
2v2 slayer/obj
4v4 slayer
4v4 obj
6v6 slayer/obj
8v8 slayer/obj
HCS/"Pro" slayer/obj
Multi Team slayer/obj

Action Sack
Breakout
Community Maps
Flood/Infection
Snipers
SWAT
Ricochet/Grifball
Warzone

Niche Returning Gametypes:
Stockpile, Head Hunter, VIP, Regicide, Juggernaut, Race.

Edit:
How many playlists do yall think we can support at once?

I think those 16 are the only ones worthy of an entire playlist, I think all the game types we have can fit into those molds

Edit 2:
DLC 4v4 slayer/obj
DLC 8v8 slayer/obj

Rumble pit
Team doubles
Team slayer
Team objective
Team swat
Team snipers
Hcs
Btb
Action sack
Breakout
Weekly playlist
Warzone

More than I would like, would probably condense breakout/action sack into the weekly, or just throw them all into action sack. Wonder how a daily playlist would work out.

You guys blow my mind, beta worked very well a year out from release. But people are still questioning if the game will even boot up on launch day.

RowdyReverb

DLC 4v4 slayer/obj
DLC 8v8 slayer/obj

Since the DLC maps are going to be free for H5 owners, I doubt they would dedicate a playlist to it. Perhaps they'll just increase the weighting for the new maps for a couple weeks so people get to try them, like they did for Remnant in H2A.

Source for the unrealistic deadline? Unless you know when they started developing the game.
The deadline was the 10 year anniversary of H2's release, which is a relatively arbitrary date, as opposed to a "release when finished" approach. Also, it's been mentioned by a few sources that the decision to roll H1, H3, and H4 into the package with a unified UI was a late decision during the development of H2A.

Random rumors probably, but it's obvious the deadline they had was unrealistic.

That's not what Frank and others have said at all though. They said everything was hunky dory in the internal tests and it was only when released to the public that the problems arose. My point is, a deadline is only unrealistic depending on when development starts. If they started working on MCC in, say, 2011 then a Novemeber 2014 launch is very realistic. Seeing as nobody here knows when the development started, I think it's fair to challenge Ryn's statement.

Ramirez

That's not what Frank and others have said at all though. They said everything was hunky dory in the internal tests and it was only when released to the public that the problems arose. My point is, a deadline is only unrealistic depending on when development starts. If they started working on MCC in, say, 2011 then a Novemeber 2014 launch is very realistic. Seeing as nobody here knows when the development started, I think it's fair to challenge Ryn's statement.

The game was originally H2A only, didn't Bonnie just say that? I know I heard that a while back.

They can't come on a public forum and say the deadline was unrealistic. MCC is a disaster, but I really doubt 343 had much say in it. MS needed this to push systems last fall, and they got it.

I also hate when people on a forum tell others not to preorder. Are you buying the game for them? No, so it's none of your business even if you disagree with it.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Preorder culture is why the modern industry sucks so much though

Reserving a CE or limited print run is fine, but preordering a $60 disc when you can just walk into any store and pick it up on launch day is dumb. I mean yeah you can do what you want but it's so pointless and only furthers the whole dividing up games into retailer exclusives nonsense.

Ramirez

Preorder culture is why the modern industry sucks so much though

Reserving a CE or limited print run is fine, but preordering a $60 disc when you can just walk into any store and pick it up on launch day is dumb. I mean yeah you can do what you want but it's so pointless and only furthers the whole dividing up games into retailer exclusives nonsense.

P I P B O Y

-Ryn

Banned
It's a fair question to ask.

Honestly it's essentially like Prinz said. I don't have an actual source on hand. Can't remember where I got the idea specifically but I'm pretty sure there was an interview or an event where they mentioned they had started talking about the idea for another Anniversary game shortly after Halo 4 came out. It wasn't until later that they decided to just go for a full on collection with the game.

Assuming that's true and my head isn't just filled with cheese wiz, that's a little under 2 years to properly port and stress test the game. They had to outsource the game to hell and back so it wouldn't surprise me that they either missed bugs or just hadn't had them appear yet while hastily tieing the games together. The game seriously could've used a beta. If I recall correctly the game's campaign worked fairly consistently right (albeit with some issues and weird menu fuckery)?

jem0208

So, Suddoth 2 won against Ninja? For the 1st time ever? Time to quit Halo, Ninja...
Yup. Ninja was not pleased.

RC faces Denial next so they're going to be destroyed but still, beating Liquid is probably the best they're going to do all season.

I think I do, and oh fuck.

Yeah, it's not good. The Sudd ego is gunna go into overdrive.

I have no idea who that is or what that means.

halp

Reality Check = the Sudd twins and friends. Generally regarded as a pair of idiots, they almost constantly have ridiculous drama surrounding them. They're considered to be pretty bad, certainly not top 8 material.

Team Liquid = Fairly new team however have shown loads of promise, one of their members is Ninja (most popular Halo streamer) and the sudds feel like they're as good as him although they're really not.

Getting beaten by Reality Check is a token of massive shame because they're just really bad.

Only if it is warm to the touch and vibrates gently in your hand.

image.php

RowdyReverb

The game was originally H2A only, didn't Bonnie just say that? I know I heard that a while back.

They can't come on a public forum and say the deadline was unrealistic. MCC is a disaster, but I really doubt 343 had much say in it. MS needed this to push systems last fall, and they got it.

I also hate when people on a forum tell others not to preorder. Are you buying the game for them? No, so it's none of your business even if you disagree with it.
It was from the Game Informer article. The same one where she said every Halo game would have a beta from here on out.
Speaking with Game Informer as part of its cover story on Halo 5, 343 head Bonnie Ross discussed the problems MCC experienced. She said that "the original pitch that we wanted to do was sort of a war chest. Ship all four games separately. Package them up." But then the idea was broached to put them all together with a single user interface, something that the studio felt was "a magical experience when you can pull it all together and seamlessly move across games." Ross added, however, that it was "very ambitious."
via Gamespot. She doesn't mention an exact timeline, but the late-game change of plans goes along with other rumblings that I only vaguely recall now, sorry. I think it was clear that most of MCC's problems stemmed from putting all the games in one package with one matchmaking system, so it stands to reason that this is the consequence of the unified UI being half baked.

Something else interesting. Remember the legendary ntkrnl leak in Jan. 2014 that ended up being very accurate? Look at these quotes.
ntkrnl said:
Halo 2 Anniversary Edition
-
Halo 5 beta access
Halo real time show... think Forward Unto Dawn (not the Spielberg stuff)
Someone told me there was going to be an alternative fucking ending. <-- I have zero info as to whether this is legitimate or not
That is the plan.

Let me reiterate some of the Halo stuff, as there is some confusion and I didn't lay all the cards down.

Two versions of H2A.

Collectors Edition with the Beta access, the Halo series (not the Blomkamp one)

War Collection with the above, as well as ports of Halo 3 & 4 for XB1.
Halo 2 HD
Halo 3 Port
Halo 4 Port
Halo 5

In the span of one year.

Don't forget two live action series too!
Will the war bundle release at the same time as the collectors edition? Are 3 and 4 only obtainable through the war bundle? Will they have mp?
Same day launch (Nov 11th)

Yes

No idea (I assume so, as they're ports and the original servers are online.
So, this info was from the end of January 2014, and it sounds like the plan at that time went along with what Bonnie Ross said. Even used the phrase "War Collection", similar to Ross's "war chest". So at some point between February and June 2014, the decision was made to put them all in one UI. That means they had 5-9 months to get matchmaking working seamlessly on dedicated servers for 5 games built for 3 different consoles designed for P2P play. So yeah, I'd wager they crunched pretty hard and still couldn't quite finish in time. /detective

daedalius

Putting 5 multiplayer games onto one disc all integrated into one menu does kind of seem like madness.

Wonder who came up with that part?

nillapuddin

I guarantee I will be the only person looking for the $250 neckbeard edition at my local WalMart. I'm just gunna walk in (at midnight for dramatic effect) but I doubt I will have much competition)

I will have to make sure its stocked, hopefully my area gets some

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom