• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not what Frank and others have said at all though. They said everything was hunky dory in the internal tests and it was only when released to the public that the problems arose. My point is, a deadline is only unrealistic depending on when development starts. If they started working on MCC in, say, 2011 then a Novemeber 2014 launch is very realistic. Seeing as nobody here knows when the development started, I think it's fair to challenge Ryn's statement.

That's what they've said. There is no way, with the internal politics of any organization like Microsoft or any major corporation, that we are going to get anything but a vague blame-less response, that "no one could have forseen". Someone made a bad call, and we are probably not going to find out for years who did, if ever. I can't blame Frankie or anyone else at 343i for not wanting to get fired over this, but it takes a considerable amount of naivete to take them at their word.

The sort of test environment you would need to miss the kind of un-subtle bugs MCC had is basically unimaginable. Any human with eyes and/or ears, plus an off-the-shelf Xbox One, is all you needed to tell you the game was not ready for prime time.

The deadline was unrealistic in the sense that regardless of when they started, what we got needed more development time- several months if the patches to date are anything to go by. It makes more sense that they started ridiculously late, than Microsoft, with all its resources available, and with this being one of their flagship franchises, spent several years on it and gave us MCC.

It was from the Game Informer article. The same one where she said every Halo game would have a beta from here on out.
via Gamespot. She doesn't mention an exact timeline, but the late-game change of plans goes along with other rumblings that I only vaguely recall now, sorry. I think it was clear that most of MCC's problems stemmed from putting all the games in one package with one matchmaking system, so it stands to reason that this is the consequence of the unified UI being half baked.

I would have had no problems with the original vision for the game then. Of course it's cooler to have an interconnected UI but in retrospect it obviously wasn't worth the pain.

In this video at 17.30

http://youtu.be/bTDVFdQVNw4

Dan Ayoub: "we've been working on this [MCC] for a long time"

Doesn't sound like he's under the duress of unrealistic time constraints there.

18-24 months is very reasonable for a collection of games that are already made imo

jem0208

wtf happened? RC is not at all a contender team, and Liquid has some great talent

I only watched 2 of the games but I have no idea...

Reality Check has got a quad host so they have a pretty major advantage in that aspect. I think they won both the slayers, the first by a large margin and then game 5 went to 49-49. Somehow they managed to win a Warlord flag as well.

I really don't know how TL let it happen.

Ramirez

I'm just confused Henery, it's like you expect the truth out of them at a trade show. All of these companies are lying to you at some point to make everything seem perfect.

Madness

Sudds get unfair heat at times. Yeah they're not the best of the best, but they're still elite level Halo players. Writing them off is foolish as Ninja just saw. It's Halo, anything can go wrong or people can have off games. Maybe if they beat another top team, Cyren will finally give them that pro color for their Beyond names :)

Sudds get unfair heat at times. Yeah they're not the best of the best, but they're still elite level Halo players. Writing them off is foolish as Ninja just saw. It's Halo, anything can go wrong or people can have off games. Maybe if they beat another top team, Cyren will finally give them that pro color for their Beyond names :)

People would eventually start to respect them if they didn't make asses of themselves. It comes down to how immature they can act.

They need to hit top 8 at the finals if they want that sweet green pro color.

jem0208

They just got 3-0ed by Denial.

I think Liquid were just having a bad day, they typically don't have any problem beating teams at RC's level.

Also the Sudds aren't bad players, I mean they're capable enough to play against the top 8 teams and (sometimes) give them a good match. They're not top 8 caliber though and their attitude gets them a bad rep.

Pistola broke his hand punching a wall after being all umad.

and then asked for money on gofundme for the hospital costs.

But yes sudds are hilariously asshats

Yeah, drama is pretty pervasive in HCS. Honestly it's almost more entertaining than the actual game.

Tawpgun

People would eventually start to respect them if they didn't make asses of themselves. It comes down to how immature they can act.

Pistola broke his hand punching a wall after being all umad.

and then asked for money on gofundme for the hospital costs.

But yes sudds are hilariously asshats

Madness

Oh yeah, lol, they're clowns personally, I was referring to their skill.

They just got 3-0ed by Denial.

I think Liquid were just having a bad day, they typically don't have any problem beating teams at RC's level.

Also the Sudds aren't bad players, I mean they're capable enough to play against the top 8 teams and (sometimes) give them a good match. They're not top 8 caliber though and their attitude gets them a bad rep.

Yeah, drama is pretty pervasive in HCS. Honestly it's almost more entertaining than the actual game.

Imagine what will happen when Halo 5 ships and the pro scene actually gets off the ground unlike MCC. Spectator mode, a working game, dedicated servers for customs matches etc.

That's what they've said. There is no way, with the internal politics of any organization like Microsoft or any major corporation, that we are going to get anything but a vague blame-less response, that "no one could have forseen". Someone made a bad call, and we are probably not going to find out for years who did, if ever. I can't blame Frankie or anyone else at 343i for not wanting to get fired over this, but it takes a considerable amount of naivete to take them at their word.

Yeah I agree with everything you're saying m8, I don't actually believe the "didn't know, honest!" story one bit, I was playing devils advocate by posting the official narrative.

The sort of test environment you would need to miss the kind of un-subtle bugs MCC had is basically unimaginable. Any human with eyes and/or ears, plus an off-the-shelf Xbox One, is all you needed to tell you the game was not ready for prime time.

In other words, Frankie was spouting brazen lies, then.

The deadline was unrealistic in the sense that regardless of when they started, what we got needed more development time- several months if the patches to date are anything to go by. It makes more sense that they started ridiculously late, than Microsoft, with all its resources available, and with this being one of their flagship franchises, spent several years on it and gave us MCC.

I suppose it's a matter of perspective then. If I know two years in advance that my University has set the deadline for my dissertation submission as May 1st, and I hand in a poorly sourced, unreferenced insensible piece of work, was the deadline unrealistic or did I mismanage my work? Somebody should have made the hard choices and made sure what they released was playable even if it wasn't the magic umbrella UI. You're absolutely right though, once October rolled around and the build was still recurrently crashing, the game should have been delayed.

RowdyReverb

I would have had no problems with the original vision for the game then. Of course it's cooler to have an interconnected UI but in retrospect it obviously wasn't worth the pain.
Yeah, same here. Or perhaps if MCC was released in installments with H2A on Nov 11 with the rest of the games getting added in over time after the H5 beta ended. Somebody in charge really wanted that bombshell for the holidays though. It's unfortunate that it didn't work out. Of course, hindsight is 20/20.
In this video at 17.30

http://youtu.be/bTDVFdQVNw4

Dan Ayoub: "we've been working on this [MCC] for a long time"

Doesn't sound like he's under the duress of unrealistic time constraints there.

18-24 months is very reasonable for a collection of games that are already made imo
I think Dan may have been referring to H2A and the bundled ports when he said that, not necessarily the MCC. He seems genuinely excited about the concept of the unified interface in that interview, because it really is an awesome idea, but I believe they underestimated the difficulty of making it work smoothly by launch and overpromised as a consequence. The idea for the MCC would have only been a few months old at that time (if we're operating under the assumptions of my last post), so it's entirely possible that they hit snags between June and November that they didn't anticipate.

Madness

6vxc11I.jpg

Remember when Ghazi ran into a Sudd working at Best Buy?

Installed Windows 10 and tested out streaming......works REALLY well! Doesn't look amazing, but functionally its great! Was able to play MCC pretty well with a wired connection

Also Windows 10 is a big improvement over 8/8.1

Agree, running Windows 10 on my Surface. They kept all the things in 8.1 that made sense and made it better. The new setting app is great. Swiping in actual is useful now to get to wireless options etc.

jem0208

Yeah, Frankie confirmed it was due to a schedule clash as the article suggested.
Oh yeah, lol, they're clowns personally, I was referring to their skill.

Imagine what will happen when Halo 5 ships and the pro scene actually gets off the ground unlike MCC. Spectator mode, a working game, dedicated servers for customs matches etc.
Yeah, hopefully it'll be great. I think H5 had a real chance as well. The base settings are fairly competitive so it won't need to much tweaking from Arena, 343 look like they're going to be going all out with HCS, there's a proper spectator mode with an Oracle mode and everything. It looks promising.

Fuchsdh

FFA slayer/obj
2v2 slayer/obj
4v4 slayer
4v4 obj
6v6 slayer/obj
8v8 slayer/obj
HCS/"Pro" slayer/obj
Multi Team slayer/obj

Action Sack
Breakout
Community Maps
Flood/Infection
Snipers
SWAT
Ricochet/Grifball
Warzone

Niche Returning Gametypes:
Stockpile, Head Hunter, VIP, Regicide, Juggernaut, Race.

Edit:
How many playlists do yall think we can support at once?

I think those 16 are the only ones worthy of an entire playlist, I think all the game types we have can fit into those molds

Edit 2:
DLC 4v4 slayer/obj
DLC 8v8 slayer/obj

I imagine for the first month or so they might want to feature the new stuff?

If DLC is free you could just heavily weight them for a month in voting or something rather than new playlists.

RowdyReverb

is halo fixed yet?
Never. If you check on your MCC disc, don't be surprised when you find that it has cracked in half due to game breaking bugs breaking the game to build their nests. The meager population still playing MCC online are literally dying in their homes by the thousands hundreds dozen, which explains why there are so many AFK players. Also, your installation has probably become corrupted and is now going to fabulous dinners from mysterious corporations and accepting bribes from shady characters.

Anyone want to hang on some Halo?

Or is that not something we do here?
Next week. Add me.

nillapuddin

If DLC is free you could just heavily weight them for a month in voting or something rather than new playlists.

Yeah that makes sense, it'd prolly work.

16 playlists is too many, I guess you could rotate some of those, but I'm not a fan of rotating.

Idk, another job we can complain about online but I am sure is immensely difficult to balance which hoppers are live.

Centurionomegai

Unconfirmed Member
I see Amazon finally changed LCE release date to 8-20, for that early pre-loading goodness. Can't wait to get it.
I am very happy with the decision to have LCE come with a digital copy, and not a disc. Any true fan buying LCE wouldn't be concerned about being able to trade it in after anyways.

I guarantee I will be the only person looking for the $250 neckbeard edition at my local WalMart. I'm just gunna walk in (at midnight for dramatic effect) but I doubt I will have much competition)

I will have to make sure its stocked, hopefully my area gets some

You better have it pre-loaded for playing at midnight on launch. The Group will not wait for you.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Never. If you check on your MCC disc, don't be surprised when you find that it has cracked in half due to game breaking bugs breaking the game to build their nests. The meager population still playing MCC online are literally dying in their homes by the thousands hundreds dozen, which explains why there are so many AFK players. Also, your installation has probably become corrupted and is now going to fabulous dinners from mysterious corporations and accepting bribes from shady characters.

well fuck

RoKKeR

Just finished The Sprint. Pretty fascinating stuff. It's too bad that I personally found the E3 demo to be the epitome of "scripted, cinematic gameplay" like that lady said in one of the episodes but what can you do. I understand it's tough to pull of a captivating demo of some super open ended gameplay but I don't know, just wasn't totally sold by it.

Warzone is looking great and I the sound design stuff was so cool. Hope they do one more set of these before release.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Some of the new vehicle designs look borderline Protoss from Starcraft. Not necessarily bad, but I still am not sure why there's a need to change them.

Some of the new vehicle designs look borderline Protoss from Starcraft. Not necessarily bad, but I still am not sure why there's a need to change them.
Can be said about a lot of the changes that they do aesthetically. Don't know why they feel the NEED to change certain things like the Ghost and Wraith. The design has been consistent throughout all the games and then suddenly they change it out of no where.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom