• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah what the heck is with the controller quality? Both of mine have a problem with the stocks that significantly effects gameplay. One tends to drift my aim up without touching it, the other one's left thumbstick gets stuck when clicking it in.

Elite controller for me if it's actually quality.

I'll get an Elite. The quality of the regular controllers is hit or miss, I've already gone through 1, and my 2nd is creaky and sticky.

I keep VERY good care of my stuff too, almost OCD.

Seems worth the price when you compare alternatives and the money I'll save over the next 6-7 years.

Having to buy controllers every 6-7 months because they either get creaky/loose or the buttons start to stick.

I bought these aluminum thumbsticks http://amzn.com/B00K1HJEPO

81c2uMjxbWL._SL1500_.jpg

Found them on ebay though for about $2 from hong kong. They work pretty nicely. Works for my DS4, too (not that I ever use the thing any more after microsoft released PC drivers).

What are you guys doing to break your controllers so frequently?

i don't use my XBO controller for more than turning on basic cable more than once or twice a month

Also, thinking out loud here RE: control schemes:

Bumper Jumper - Paddler Straddler Elite Edition
RT - Fire Weapon
LT - Throw Grenade
LB - Jump
RB - Melee / HOLD airborne: Ground Pound
LS - Movement / Crouch
RS - Aim / Zoom
Y - Switch Weapon
B - Action / Reload
A - Hologram (343 pls)
P1 - Sprint
P2 - Thrusters

Toying around with a configuration where Thrusters are on RB and Melee's on a paddle could be interesting, too.

Interesting.

Oddly enough, my DS4 is still in perfect condition. I guess I got lucky since a lot of people tend to think the build quality is shite.

Yep, I originally bought the sticks for my DS4 (bought it before PS4 came out for PC). The rubber on my DS4 wore off within a couple weeks, and it's not even like I used the thing that much since I don't have a PS4. Mainly for the odd game here and there on PC.

But I liked the sticks enough that I got another pair for my Xbox One controller.

Apparently my thumbs sweat acid. Rubber breaks down on almost all thumbsticks I use withing a few months. Left thumbstick is usually first to go, and the thumbstick hole goes with it.

Hell yes on the Elite x 2. One for me and one for my son, you have to raise them up on Halo just the right way :)

I've also has two standard controllers with the stick grinding issues :(

Invert

Neo Member
I'll probably grab an elite controller to see how they hold up. I have a Scuf right now, but both the the sticks are pretty borked. Left stick drifts to the left, right stick has slow turn to the right. Rubber on the sticks are pretty worn. I think the scuf costed around 160, so if the elite holds up better I'll consider it a worthy investment. If you haven't experienced a paddled controller, you're in for a treat.

It's neither, pretty sure it was a Gaffer's montage but it wasn't either of those
About midway through this I ground pound a dude off the map, thought it was pretty funny. http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Invert%203RB/video/3845155

I don't have the base clip anymore, Upload decided to prune my H5 clips out of there, so sorry that you have to suffer through some H4 clips to get to it.

Madness

My controller has held up well. I barely play that much though. The build quality so much better than Xbox 360 controllers though. I remember the stick literally smoothing out on my launch 360 controller within 2 days or NHL play.

I want an Elite controller though. Just for the triggers, hopefully it doesn't squeak or feel flimsy especially near the battery area.

Trying to give Halo 4's campaign a chance again. The intro IMO is just boring. Constant over the top banter between chief and cortana, lots of scripted events that take control of the screen, a running away "everything is exploding!" sequence etc. Just feels like its pacing was ripped out of a Call of Duty campaign.

Doesn't feel like Halo.

EDIT: seems like the writing and voice acting delivery is my biggest complaint. I just cringe at about 3/4ths of the dialogue, even the voice logs I uncover.

Everyone seems to say Halo 4 looks next gen on the MCC. Sorry but this is just false. The anisotropic filtering is really low and almost all of the scenery is an extremely low resolution flat painting.

Trying to give Halo 4's campaign a chance again. The intro IMO is just boring. Constant over the top banter between chief and cortana, lots of scripted events that take control of the screen, a running away "everything is exploding!" sequence etc. Just feels like its pacing was ripped out of a Call of Duty campaign.

Doesn't feel like Halo.

EDIT: seems like the writing and voice acting delivery is my biggest complaint. I just cringe at about 3/4ths of the dialogue, even the voice logs I uncover.
I always felt like Chief talked too much in Halo 4. I get that they're trying to humanize him but he's always been the "man of few words" and I kind of liked that.

Ampoc

Neo Member
Still my absolute favorite Halo and in my top 3 campaigns of all video games. It's just.... Extremely excellent.

Yeah it's great. Not as fun as Halo 3 gameplay wise, but certainly much better in terms of storytelling.

The thing about 4's campaign is that if you don't have good knowledge of the universe from the books and etc before playing it, it doesn't seem nearly as good as it is.

Yeah it's great. Not as fun as Halo 3 gameplay wise, but certainly much better in terms of storytelling.

The thing about 4's campaign is that if you don't have good knowledge of the universe from the books and etc before playing it, it doesn't seem nearly as good as it is.

Agreed.... I think that's what turned some people off of it. It was a beautiful story backed by 6 novels of grand scope. Skipping the novels definitely would lessen the impact.

Doesn't take away from how amazing it was though. 343 nailed it.

I always felt like Chief talked too much in Halo 4. I get that they're trying to humanize him but he's always been the "man of few words" and I kind of liked that.

I'm all for humanizing him, but I think there needs to be a bit more of a balance struck, I feel like the Chief talking so much, even the very last line of Halo 4 was super out of character to me.

I hope they tone it down for Blue Team (I sincerely doubt it, as Halo 5 has around 40,000 compared to Halo 4's 14,000) as they were supposed to already know what each other was thinking.

Leave the clever quips to Buck.

Chief's always been a little snarky whenever he's had a back-and-forth with Cortana. I don't mind that part of him talking. The "You any good at clearing LZs?" "On occasion." moment was cute in 4, and it made me think of CE-era dialogue. I wish 343 was willing to make their mainline games a little less serious, though. Part of the reason the original trilogy worked was because Jason Jones went out of his way to add all sorts of goofy little stuff mixed in with the rest of the story. It's clearly possible in 343-era times, too - Midnight in the Heart of Midlothian somehow perfectly juggles gravitas and comedy and probably has the most hilarious payoff of any of the EU stuff to date.

Fuchsdh

Interesting.

Oddly enough, my DS4 is still in perfect condition. I guess I got lucky since a lot of people tend to think the build quality is shite.

I still remember going less than a week after launch to a Sony store and seeing the controllers destroyed. Their build quality was most definitely shit on some batches, I have no idea if that's still an issue.

Haven't gone through any gamepads either. Those anodized thumbsticks are awesome though. Who knows, might grab some for a rainy day (or at that price, just style.)

I'm all for humanizing him, but I think there needs to be a bit more of a balance struck, I feel like the Chief talking so much, even the very last line of Halo 4 was super out of character to me.

I hope they tone it down for Blue Team (I sincerely doubt it, as Halo 5 has around 40,000 compared to Halo 4's 14,000) as they were supposed to already know what each other was thinking.

Problem with just going with Bungie's approach is that ultimately you're just starring a dead-end character. 343 basically had to do something with Chief if they wanted to do anything interesting with him, and I'm glad they did.

Chief's always had a fairly obvious dry streak of humor, although interestingly with Cortana they sort have alternated being the straight man to each other.

His name is Buck. And he's here to..

m23

What do you people do with your controllers? I'm still on my launch day controller with no issues at all. Even the battery for the play and charge kit gives me days of use.

Problem with just going with Bungie's approach is that ultimately you're just starring a dead-end character. 343 basically had to do something with Chief if they wanted to do anything interesting with him, and I'm glad they did.

Chief's always had a fairly obvious dry streak of humor, although interestingly with Cortana they sort have alternated being the straight man to each other.

I totally agree, the silent protagonist, doesn't really have any place in such a story-rich world such as Halo. I just feel like they went 0-60 with him, and now he's Cathy McChatty.

I like the direction they're pushing him in, but I wish it was more of a gradual thing. I'd ideally like to see him become the sort of soldier that has sort of shut himself away inside his armor and war, but at the end of Halo 4, with Cortana's death, he can't do that anymore, and slowly he rediscovers what it means to be human with Blue Team. Ideally.

TheXbox

They need to open Halo 5 showing Chief's face, full stop. I'm tired of this half-and-half wishy washy shit. Make him a real character or don't. Let the nerds rage. It'll be so bizarre if he never takes off his helmet while he's around his best mates the whole game. He's like the never-nude of Spartans.
It's clearly possible in 343-era times, too - Midnight in the Heart of Midlothian somehow perfectly juggles gravitas and comedy and probably has the most hilarious payoff of any of the EU stuff to date.
Love this story. stanky is a pretty decent writer. Evolutions as a whole is probably one of my favorite EU... things. The Return is the fucking GOAT

They need to open Halo 5 showing Chief's face, full stop. I'm tired of this half-and-half wishy washy shit. Make him a real character or don't. Let the nerds rage. It'll be so bizarre if he never takes off his helmet while he's around his best mates the whole game. He's like the never-nude of Spartans.

Agreed, it's a weird "damned if you do, damned if you don't" sort of thing.

In-universe, it's not a big deal, a bunch of people already know what John looks like, but for us, the player, it's huge, we've never seen his full face before, only teases like the back of his head in Bungie update stuff, or his eyes in the H4 Legendary ending.

Shuck. He's an Iowa boy, big on his corn.

His name is Buck, and he's from Cornfuck, Iowa.

The Flash

Banned
I'm glad to see that Lee survived and pursued his dream of becoming the CEO of multi-billion dollar corporation. He deserves it after all he's gone through.

Invert

Neo Member
What do you people do with your controllers? I'm still on my launch day controller with no issues at all. Even the battery for the play and charge kit gives me days of use.

Sometimes I furiously punch dance with a controller in each hand after a solid game. Honestly though, my controllers do have a lot of time played on them though. Sticks have been the first thing to go on my two pads.

Please tell me this is fake:
CIP1rpYUsAAv1Cz.jpg

Because if its not, What happened to this assault rifle? why is their a "Energy Bayonet" attached to the AR? Am I fighting space confederates now?!

Thank god its just a variant I'm not forced to use and it does have a nice color scheme. can I just use the color scheme without the dumb bayonet?

Also what the heck is a "Roadout"?

Mix

CIP1rpYUsAAv1Cz.jpg

Because if its not, What happened to this assault rifle? why is their a "Energy Bayonet" attached to the AR? Am I fighting space confederates now?!

Thank god its just a variant I'm not forced to use and it does have a nice color scheme. can I just use the color scheme without the dumb bayonet?

It's for Warzone, the skin is only cosmetic and can be used in any multiplayer mode, and we don't know what roadout is all about.
EDIT: and there are others with different traits.

CIP1rpYUsAAv1Cz.jpg

I agree. It's pretty darn silly. I'm glad that the "perks" of those skins aren't in effect arena, but I still have to see them. Also, if someone dies and I pick up their weapon, I will have to deal with the skin stuck on my screen.

I wish Arena just disabled them entirely. Or at least give me an option in the menu to make all the weapons appear like the default.

It's for Warzone, the skin is only cosmetic and can be used in any multiplayer mode, and we don't know what roadout is all about.

So all these attachments I'm seeing are just for warzone? good, for a second their I thought we were going Halo Online with full weapon customization in MP but with a price.

EDIT:

Oooh, this one is nice looking. but "pre-order" is in its file name, whats the catch here? GS exclusive?

Mix

So all these attachments I'm seeing are just for warzone? good, for a second their I thought we were going Halo Online with full weapon customization in MP but with a price.

No, while you can buy REQ packs which contain these weapons and attachments pre-installed, you won't be seeing them anywhere near classic BTB or Arena multiplayer. only for Warzone.

Oooh, this one is nice looking. but "pre-order" is in its file name, whats the catch here? GS exclusive?
They aren't pre order exclusive, you can obtain them in the game by playing or by purchasing REQ packs, but if you reserve (this one in particular is for Best Buy) you get it day one out of the box without trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom