• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh halo, i've missed you!
http://xboxclips.com/LoopOfHenle/25659737-ff3e-44c0-bfa5-c84b2a1bbed1

enjoying the hell out of halo 4 now. what a difference the removal of infinity settings and additional of map spawns make. i can live with AAs and loadouts, and some of the maps are pretty good, as this is the best playing/shooting halo out there.

I have to agree, kind of! I never really gave H4 a chance on the 360. I had around 300 games played and that was it. I also never bothered with any of the map packs or updates. Now in MCC, it's what I play a majority of the time. It just feels and plays great. Yeah, sprint is garbage and so are the AAs, however that's all I really hate about it. Also there's no ordnance in the MCC version which is also nice, but the maps are fairly underwhelming. They're not terrible, however, they leave a lot to be desired.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I have to agree, kind of! I never really gave H4 a chance on the 360. I had around 300 games played and that was it. I also never bothered with any of the map packs or updates. Now in MCC, it's what I play a majority of the time. It just feels and plays great. Yeah, sprint is garbage and so are the AAs, however that's all I really hate about it. Also there's no ordnance in the MCC version which is also nice, but the maps are fairly underwhelming. They're not terrible, however, they leave a lot to be desired.

i'm enjoying some of the dlc maps i never really got to play on. landfall in particular, i'm finding to be loads of fun (but that could also be because i'm still pretty low ranked and playing against scrubs). its so great that were are getting free dlc maps in 5.

jem0208

i'm enjoying some of the dlc maps i never really got to play on. landfall in particular, i'm finding to be loads of fun (but that could also be because i'm still pretty low ranked and playing against scrubs). its so great that were are getting free dlc maps in 5.
The DLC maps really are far better than the on disc maps. I've said a bunch of times but I really, really like Monolith. Very underrated map imo.

Hate that map. Lol

Really?

I really like it, loads of fun to play CTF on. It's also gorgeous, I think it's the best looking Halo map.

Madness

AX5X9Vx.jpg

I liked Monolith too. Good symmetrical design, as well as clear color delineation for teams/sides.

Impala26

Nothing could beat the glory that was Harvest SWAT.
Harvest was a good chaotic BTB map if it was an objective gametype.

Vortex seemed cool in concept, but had too much "void spaces" that players simply didn't go to, traverse or utilize. I wonder if a map like Vortex would have been better suited for something like Warzone where you could populate those void spaces with AI objective kills and utilize the full area of the map?

Can we stop linking to Greenskull vids? Pls. Link to other people.

Like Reclaimerhub.

The best source for uptodate halo 5 news and the award winning Recliner HuD podcast.

Madness

Maps like Vortex, Longbow literally had me wondering what the heck were they thinking designing this stuff? Maps were easily 50% too large. Longbow could have removed both base areas at the back, a lot of the outer edge area behind the two smaller bases closer to water and it would have played the same just with less useless space.

Impala26

Maps like Vortex, Longbow literally had me wondering what the heck were they thinking designing this stuff? Maps were easily 50% too large. Longbow could have removed both base areas at the back, a lot of the outer edge area behind the two smaller bases closer to water and it would have played the same just with less useless space.

Warzone Pre-Alpha

Longbow was another good map on disc least better than the other large scale maps.

longbow is fun but i also really really like exile.

Base BTB maps were bad. Ragnarok and Meltdown would have been ok, but the Mantis killed the flow on those maps, sure that's bad vehicle design to blame, but they never took them out. Longbow had really bad sight lines and was just generally a bad map, it's weapons and vehicles made it play like Heavies every match too. Vortex has no redeeming factors and I don't know what they were thinking. Exile was a joke as they had to balance the tank with a Gauss hog, which isn't balanced at all.

Then there's Shatter and Outcast that had Mantis design in consideration and play pretty well. Harvest is also pretty decent with the outer Warthog path and there's generally well balanced.

op_ivy

And Warzone maps are supposedly 4x as big as anything they've done before, so that's just crazy.

yeah, i don't buy that. at least not based on the map shown at e3. that looked about on par with the big btb halo 4 maps, perhaps a tad bigger, but not 4x

Karl2177

H4's beam rifle is ridiculous. It's an absolute monster of a weapon, snapshots all day every day. Definitely needs reduced aim assist.
That map pack was probably the last time I went into a dev map and changed the weapon layouts. Replaced the Beam with a regular Sniper.

I've had thoughts of going into some of the dev maps for Halo 4 in MCC and updating them to the static weapon spawns that I had shortly after the game came out, but I can never remember what the " correct" custom game settings are. I remember there's something with no custom load outs and jetpack, shield thing, and promethean vision left out, but beyond that I don't remember the damage settings.

-Ryn

Banned
Hey guys, I just received an Xbox One as a gift for doing some work and I got MCC. I am new to xbox: I already have a PS4 and a Wii U. I used to play Halo a lot back in high school when halo two came out (lan parties and stuff). I am looking for some people to add to my friends list that wouldn't mind occasionally playing halo with someone returning to the franchise after a decade of not playing it.

My gamertag is: AntonHtz

(just for context: I guess they were giving out a free game with a purchase of the MCC bundle so I was gifted batman arkham knight as well. I bought forza horizon 2 when I was surprised with the gift!)
Welcome back to Halo dude!

I'll send you a friend request. Feel free to hit me up if you ever see me online.

And there's no Destiny Lore Thread either. It's all kinda mashed into one thread.

Inb4 the "there is no story in Destiny" comments. There is. And it's fascinating as hell.
...feh. Something something not really in the game something EU would be more appropriate something whatever floats your boat something #butts

THE GOAT

The bar is set 343--impress us!
Can't believe that ViDoc is almost 5 years old now... >_<
I still remember thinking we would get huge 16v16 battles to support the map size. That chess game type was legendary.

And Warzone maps are supposedly 4x as big as anything they've done before, so that's just crazy.

Size isn't everything, sometimes it's what you do with it. Too big hurts and while it initially seems like a good idea eventually you see if for the pain it is and want to avoid it

Would rather smaller but more perfectly formed maps than massive just for the sake of it maps

Mistel

Banned
longbow is fun but i also really really like exile.
Exile felt like the majority of the right hand of the map didn't flow that well. In comparison to the left which offered more cover and pathways the right didn't have much other than a killing field and the mantis/tank spawn.

kosmologi

I still remember thinking we would get huge 16v16 battles to support the map size. That chess game type was legendary.

Man. If only we could get exactly this map and sandbox with 64 player support. Slayer on a huge area like that with dozens of vehicles and endless carnage...

Vico

The Reach Forge reveal at SDCC 2010 really is one of the best hour of halo news we ever got. The way the crowd went nuts multiple times in a row was just incredible to see. I wish we could have another panel like that.

Welfare

The Reach Forge reveal at SDCC 2010 really is one of the best hour of halo news we ever got. The way the crowd went nuts multiple times in a row was just incredible to see. I wish we could have another panel like that.

Only if Forge is a massive improvement over Reach and 4's, and by the looks of it, Halo 5 forge looks to not be that big of an improvement.

nillapuddin

Happy Birthday to me, newest book came, so excited! Beautiful cover, embossed letters, nice finish. Lets just put it in the shelf now...

rafSTSY.jpg

God damnit.

TOR kept everything.. Mostly the same. Annoying stupid little changes.

But now apparently the Gallery Books era is a free for all. There is no god.
The build quality is really really fantastic though, good job gallery/343

Happy Birthday to me, newest book came, so excited! Beautiful cover, embossed letters, nice finish. Lets just put it in the shelf now...

rafSTSY.jpg

God damnit.

Beautiful collection!!!

Mine are all different shapes and sizes :p

rafSTSY.jpg

God damnit.

Nice, the only ones I still having lying around are the original copies of The Fall of Reach, The Flood, and First Strike. Everything else is on my Kindle now.

-Ryn

Banned
Happy birthday Puddinpop

Hope it's filled with joy and whatever other stuff you may find appealing.

Man. If only we could get exactly this map and sandbox with 64 player support. Slayer on a huge area like that with dozens of vehicles and endless carnage...
Perhaps we will get the spin off Super BTB boogaloo wet dream with every vehicle ever and all sorts of crazy modes that we've* always wanted if Warzone is a success. Or not... could go either way.

*Not representetive of the entire fandom

Only if Forge is a massive improvement over Reach and 4's, and by the looks of it, Halo 5 forge looks to not be that big of an improvement.
According to Frankie it's a great improvement (not an exact quote). Here's hoping.

RowdyReverb

I really hope we get an Silent Cartographer-like Warzone map.
I love this idea. There would need to be some routes added, obviously, but just the theme and appearance would be enough.

THE GOAT

The bar is set 343--impress us!
Can't believe that ViDoc is almost 5 years old now... >_<
I hope H5 forge really nails it. Community creation in games is the hot thing right now, so they'd be crazy not to aim high.

Based on what?

op_ivy

Exile felt like the majority of the right hand of the map didn't flow that well. In comparison to the left which offered more cover and pathways the right didn't have much other than a killing field and the mantis/tank spawn.
Absolutely. I only stuck to the middle and left caves, on foot. I loved the battles that occurred for both portions. I can see where the map could be heavily critiqued for the other side, vehicles on hand, and vehicular combat though

Fuchsdh

Absolutely. I only stuck to the middle and left caves, on foot. I loved the battles that occurred for both portions. I can see where the map could be heavily critiqued for the other side, vehicles on hand, and vehicular combat though

Well, it's a map that's clearly designed to be weighted differently for different types of combat, but I'm not sure it ever fully expressed the developers' intent.

I also think that their approach to carving up the landscape with vehicle "lanes" hurt the BTB maps because many of them felt like I was hemmed in driving (Longbow and Meltdown particularly.) I think later maps improved on that issue.

nillapuddin

Beautiful collection!!!

Mine are all different shapes and sizes :p

Thanks man, I scoured the internet making sure I got all paperbacks in the same size

Nice, the only ones I still having lying around are the original copies of The Fall of Reach, The Flood, and First Strike. Everything else is on my Kindle now.

Still have the OG copies also!
snaEyIQ.jpg

Happy birthday Puddinpop

Hope it's filled with joy and whatever other stuff you may find appealing.

Thanks bud, for my birthday celebration I am driving around town setting up Water, Electric, Cable and Bank stuff for my new apartment. #waitingrooms

Adulthood!

RowdyReverb

Just didn't look like there was much of anything that screamed "Forge is better we swear". It was a beta and all but Halo 5's forge maps just did not impress me and honestly I'm getting sick of them. First impressions and all.
Oh right, I completely forgot they threw a couple Forge maps in. Maybe they held back a little though, you never know. I try to be optimistic.

RowdyReverb

Last exam of my 3rd year of medical school is in an hour, wish me luck. I've been posting more lately because I've been at my computer studying all week. I've got a 4 day weekend though to take a bit of a break from both things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom