• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impala26

On the subject of snowy maps, it'd be neat to see another one set on a planet dealing with the nuclear winter following it being glassed by the Covenant.

Gimme a map like the debris-filled, wartorn scene depicted in the MC/Locke HuntTheTruth spot. Preferably a more urban environment; there was a map in H4 that pretty much fits this description (name escapes me... Wreckage?) but falls short in terms of gameplay.

Nowise10

I really hope 343 announces when Halo 3:ODST + Relic are coming out, and don't just release it out of nowhere, at 9:34 AM on a Thursday, like what they've been doing with every patch and Spartan Strike.

SaganIsGOAT

Gimme a map like the debris-filled, wartorn scene depicted in the MC/Locke HuntTheTruth spot. Preferably a more urban environment; there was a map in H4 that pretty much fits this description (name escapes me... Wreckage?) but falls short in terms of gameplay.

That would be a pretty poor aesthetic. War torn areas in modern games are pure visual clutter. Way too much noise.

I want more maps with absurdly gorgeous sky boxes. Some of the H4 maps (Skyline, Landfall) were just beautiful in that respect. Then at the other end of the scale, you have the subtle, ominous gloom of Sandbox. Or the arctic pall of Breakpoint.

I love Halo's skyboxes. They are so yummy.

Tawpgun

He's actually got a point, though. You're bombarding stuff with plasma and turning it to slag. I suppose it's possible it essentially traps and melts particulates (I know jack about plasma interaction with other matter states) but you'd think conventionally you'd be kicking a lot of particulates into the atmosphere and leading to some kind of cooling effect. I dunno if it would be as pronounced as a nuclear winter though, since those models expect massive and widespread firestorms.

Wasn't there something in the lore about a spartan IV that was part of a band of survivors on a glassed planet. They mentioned it had a nuclear winter.

Ah it was Tanaka. "For a year after the bombing, Holly, her father, and nine other colonists on the mining crew thrived without harassment by Covenant occupation forces and were able to gather resources in the snow-capped landscape caused by nuclear winter." Whether this can actually happen in a hypothetical glassing, who knows.

I'm embarrassed I knew that. In my defense I remember googled Tanaka after some people thought she might be on Locke's squad and I had no idea who she was.

I want more maps with absurdly gorgeous sky boxes. Some of the H4 maps (Skyline, Landfall) were just beautiful in that respect. Then at the other end of the scale, you have the subtle, ominous gloom of Sandbox. Or the arctic pall of Breakpoint.

I love Halo's skyboxes. They are so yummy.

I hope Halo 5's skyboxes are better than the one's we saw in Halo 4. They just seemed so flat and static.

Bungie is still king when it comes to skyboxes.

Wasn't there something in the lore about a spartan IV that was part of a band of survivors on a glassed planet. They mentioned it had a nuclear winter.

Ah it was Tanaka. "For a year after the bombing, Holly, her father, and nine other colonists on the mining crew thrived without harassment by Covenant occupation forces and were able to gather resources in the snow-capped landscape caused by nuclear winter." Whether this can actually happen in a hypothetical glassing, who knows.

I'm embarrassed I knew that. In my defense I remember googled Tanaka after some people thought she might be on Locke's squad and I had no idea who she was.

I doubt the nuclear winter was caused by glassing. Maybe from fighting Insurrectionists? This universe seems to chuck Havoc Nukes like they're pillows haha

I realize this post is parody, but maybe I need to move to Texas. Beer, barbecue sauce, and concealed carry are some of my favorite things.

Somehow that doesn't surprise me.

I doubt the nuclear winter was caused by glassing. Maybe from fighting Insurrectionists? This universe seems to chuck Havoc Nukes like they're pillows haha

From the wiki:

halopedia said:
Subsequently, the atmosphere is saturated with millions of tons of ash, debris, and soot that are thrown up from the initial impact, blocking sunlight and dramatically lowering the amount of sunlight reaching the planets surface, subjecting it to an impact winter. As the ground zero area cools, the surface is covered by extensive areas of molten soil.[14]

That specifically refers to orbital bombardment, though - glassing done in-atmosphere is done using (relatively) weaker tech and doesn't have the same effect.

Madness

I just want some color in the newer maps. I'd even take a Mario Kart-esque rainbow road at this point. Clean lines, less clutter, basic geometry, but crisp blues, neon greens, purples etc. No tints, no filters, no 7 shades of yellow or green or brown on one map.

AlStrong

He's actually got a point, though. You're bombarding stuff with plasma and turning it to slag. I suppose it's possible it essentially traps and melts particulates (I know jack about plasma interaction with other matter states) but you'd think conventionally you'd be kicking a lot of particulates into the atmosphere and leading to some kind of cooling effect. I dunno if it would be as pronounced as a nuclear winter though, since those models expect massive and widespread firestorms.

Aaaaand now Frankie has to write up an explanation in the Halo Story Bible. :D

edit: booo it was already done.

I just want some color in the newer maps. I'd even take a Mario Kart-esque rainbow road at this point. Clean lines, less clutter, basic geometry, but crisp blues, neon greens, purples etc. No tints, no filters, no 7 shades of yellow or green or brown on one map.

Sounds perfect for a Chiron remake imo

#HUNTtheTRUTH

Its actually hilarious how easily you can use "#HUNTtheTRUTH" as an answer to anything.

"Guys wheres my milk" "#HUNTtheTRUTH"
"Son, wheres the car keys" "#HUNTtheTRUTH"
"John, why won't you wake up" "#HUNTtheTRUTH"

"Are the government spying on us again?" "#HUNTtheTRUTH"

Edit: On the maps note, I was watching a Ninja play through of H2 MP, and I he was on some sort of grave mind style covenant map, and it was amazing how spooky, dark and ominous looking Halo used to be. With all those opening and closing door sounds (what map is that?). We need more maps like that!! I miss the spooky factor of Halo which started to go missing from H3 onwards.

m23

Its actually hilarious how easily you can use "#HUNTtheTRUTH" as an answer to anything.

"Guys wheres my milk" "#HUNTtheTRUTH"
"Son, wheres the car keys" "#HUNTtheTRUTH"
"John, why won't you wake up" "#HUNTtheTRUTH"

"Are the government spying on us again?" "#HUNTtheTRUTH"

Edit: On the maps note, I was watching a Ninja play through of H2 MP, and I he was on some sort of grave mind style covenant map, and it was amazing how spooky, dark and ominous looking Halo used to be. With all those opening and closing door sounds (what map is that?). We need more maps like that!! I miss the spooky factor of Halo which started to go missing from H3 onwards.

Are you thinking of Gemini? That's a horrible map and I don't want that crap in Halo anymore.

Are you thinking of Gemini? That's a horrible map and I don't want that crap in Halo anymore.

I think he's talking atmosphere, not necessarily the map itself. Covie doors could be interesting if implemented properly - a linear hallway with a Brute Shot in it sure as hell isn't the way to do that, though.

I think he's talking atmosphere, not necessarily the map itself. Covie doors could be interesting if implemented properly - a linear hallway with a Brute Shot in it sure as hell isn't the way to do that, though.

Yup, never seen the map before till Ninja had it on YT but it was very dark, not everyone sticks out, the sounds the door makes, the whole ambiance it was just superb.

RowdyReverb

I actually would be interested to see how Chiron would play in H5.
I think it would be a less divisive map if they used Portal-style teleporters so you're not always jumping totally blindly into somebody camping by the other end. Could be really interesting if each room was themed drastically differently, like a frozen room, a fiery engine room, and a room overgrown by jungle.

Finished hunt the truth last night and I must say that I enjoy them much more than I thought I would.

Kind of disappointing that we know most of the story he is trying to figure out (flash clone + early enhancement, so on), but the surrounding details are interesting.

I'm sure this has been talked about, but in I believe ep5 he mentions
slipspace and waypoint disruptions in certain areas of the galaxy
, which reminded me of (Bear's Forerunner trilogy spoilers)
the disruptions the Prometheans made for the Forerunners when they returned as the flood

Can't be a coincidence. It would be very interesting, IMO, if Halo 5 just set up
the return of the prometheans/Flood and Halo 6 was this all out epic galactic battle against them.

The only problem with all of that at this point is that Halo 4 did absolutely nothing to set any of that up, and the current situation with the Didact means that Halo 5 would have a lot of work to do if they are going down that path.

RowdyReverb

Can't be a coincidence. It would be very interesting, IMO, if Halo 5 just set up
the return of the prometheans/Flood and Halo 6 was this all out epic galactic battle against them.
The only problem with all of that at this point is that Halo 4 did absolutely nothing to set any of that up, and the current situation with the Didact means that Halo 5 would have a lot of work to do if they are going down that path.
There could always be come sort of deus ex machina that the Prometheans manage to recover and activate. Perhaps (Halo 4 spoilers)
Cortana leaving rampant copies of herself in the composer leads to the formation of an evil Cortana-Promethean hybrid super AI
that manages to reintroduce angry forerunners or flood or some other new threat

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Tim Longo ;)

There was a rumour back in 2014 that the campaign got a redesign after Longo joined. And that this was the reason for H5's 2015 release.

It's true that Tim Longo is the game's creative director, but it's not true that "it got a redesign" because Tim has been aboard pretty much through the entire Campaign design. So, same result, wrong detail.

Kind of disappointing that we know most of the story he is trying to figure out (flash clone + early enhancement, so on), but the surrounding details are interesting. .

Most Halo players don't actually know all that stuff. So it works in layers - new stuff for you, core stuff for casual listeners. If that makes sense.

Most Halo players don't actually know all that stuff. So it works in layers - new stuff for you, core stuff for casual listeners. If that makes sense.

Do you have any numbers or anything to give you guys any idea of how many people are listening to these?

You mentioned it being core stuff, which makes a lot of sense, so I'm wondering if non die-hards are actually listening to them.

Fuchsdh

Do you have any numbers or anything to give you guys any idea of how many people are listening to these?

You mentioned it being core stuff, which makes a lot of sense, so I'm wondering if non die-hards are actually listening to them.

I wonder that as well, but Microsoft knows the amount of diehards who will pretty much buy a copy of Halo regardless, at the very least, so if they're getting numbers above that it's probably all gravy.

Dust and co. were talking about Hunt the Truth on Podtacular yesterday and it is a sort of curious ARG where you're almost disadvantaged because you're a diehard fan.

When I checked a few weeks ago Hunt the Truth was the #2 gaming podcast on iTunes, so it would seem it's got at least some reach beyond us lore nerds.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I do, and the numbers mean it is 100% certain "casuals" are listening in significant #s

The soundcloud files are all showing > 100k listens on all but the last one, which I assume will hit that by this time next week. So it's decent. Huge dropoff from the first, though, which had more than half a million.

That's to be expected, though. It's the same for all forms of media. Comic books rarely get more than half the numbers in issue 2 than they do in issue 1. Ditto TV shows (that are not called Empire).

Will you guys introduce all this new Spartans properly in Halo 5? Like with some CGI Cutscenes etc Because not everyone reads Comics and Books.

There could always be come sort of deus ex machina that the Prometheans manage to recover and activate. Perhaps (Halo 4 spoilers)
Cortana leaving rampant copies of herself in the composer leads to the formation of an evil Cortana-Promethean hybrid super AI

Halo 6: Revolutions would not go down very well, I think ;)

29622-Agent-Smith-meme-meme-meme-9UHb.jpeg

Will you guys introduce all this new Spartans properly in Halo 5? Like with some CGI Cutscenes etc Because not everyone reads Comics and Books.

That's crazy talk, they'll put all of the important information in hidden terminals so you have to work to understand the basic story. :p

AlStrong

T Perhaps (Halo 4 spoilers)

Escalation spoiler: Maybe the Composer
merges Didact and Cortana
:O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom