• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
State of Decay, if anyone was wondering.

edit: I cancelled redeeming it since I don't have a One, so that's how I know what it is even though Jumper got it.

That reminds me, I still need to get my Reach 360 out of whatever glacier it's buried in and play Super Time Force.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.

Apologies, I'll stop designing and polishing in order to boost my post count.

TOsmile.gif

Welp, the ARG we got isn't what I was expecting. Think I'm just gonna wait until we get past the circuits to continue. Too much luck and happenstance.

Lol does that really happen? I haven't touched Escalation because all I've heard about it is HaloGAF hating on it

Spoilers (lol):
Chief and friends happen to encounter the Didact again, who got knocked the fuck out and thrown to Installation 03 after falling into the Plot Portal at the end of Halo 4. Didact murders another EU Spartan team (Spartan-IIs, no less!) that were aiding in researching the ring. Didact eventually makes his way to a shield installation (I think?) that houses something known as the Composer's Forge - a place that houses multiple (six, not counting the one blown up at the end of Halo 4) Composers identical to the in-game incarnation. Didact plans on using these to attack Earth again, but this is in violation of the mantle and the resident Monitor (404 Spring Cotillion or Sporadic Carry-on or Static Carillon or some shit) fights back and incapacitates the Didact just long enough for Chief and pals to escape... I think. Also, a it turns out square segments of rings can jettison themselves from their primary Installation if they need repair, Chief and pals pass through a "Domain of the Digitally Damned" area that's basically a hallway with holograms in anguish all amassed (fucking called it, by the way), and before Didact can get his bearings and launch another assault, Chief crashes a Composer into the other six or something to blow up the Forge. Bottom line is that the resulting demolition composed the Didact in the process, so his status at this point is, so far, unknown. Cortana has not resurfaced.

HTupolev

Spoilers (lol):
Chief and friends happen to encounter the Didact again, who got knocked the fuck out and thrown to Installation 03 after falling into the Plot Portal at the end of Halo 4. Didact murders another EU Spartan team (Spartan-IIs, no less!) that were aiding in researching the ring. Didact eventually makes his way to a shield installation (I think?) that houses something known as the Composer's Forge - a place that houses multiple (six, not counting the one blown up at the end of Halo 4) Composers identical to the in-game incarnation. Didact plans on using these to attack Earth again, but this is in violation of the mantle and the resident Monitor (404 Spring Cotillion or Sporadic Carry-on or Static Carillon or some shit) fights back and incapacitates the Didact just long enough for Chief and pals to escape... I think. Also, a it turns out square segments of rings can jettison themselves from their primary Installation if they need repair, Chief and pals pass through a "Domain of the Digitally Damned" area that's basically a hallway with holograms in anguish all amassed (fucking called it, by the way), and before Didact can get his bearings and launch another assault, Chief crashes a Composer into the other six or something to blow up the Forge. Bottom line is that the resulting demolition composed the Didact in the process, so his status at this point is, so far, unknown. Cortana has not resurfaced.
Holy shit.

That's a hell of a shoe horn.

RowdyReverb

Spoilers (lol):
Thanks for the summary! So, it basically leaves off in the same way as Halo 4 with
the Didact apparently getting composed
. That's convenient. If Halo 5 built on the ending for either, I wouldn't have known the difference.

Thanks for the summary! So, it basically leaves off in the same way as Halo 4 with
the Didact apparently getting composed
. That's convenient. If Halo 5 built on the ending for either, I wouldn't have known the difference.

Pretty much, and the reason I believe reading the comics is not necessary. Actually I stopped after the part
where Palmer and her team stopped that guy who glassed the ship and killed the Elite mercenaries, but could anyone tell me what significant plot there is (potential relevance to Halo 5).

MouldyK

Splatoon said:
Free Post-Launch Content: Five Turf War stages will be available at launch, but Nintendo will continue to add free new stages throughout summer 2015. Additionally, Nintendo plans to continually expand the game with new weapons, battle modes and gear. A major game update event in August will add two additional matchmaking options, including the ability for friends to form four-person teams and search for other four-person teams to battle against. The second option lets eight friends join up to battle in four-on-four matches on any stage and with any rules they want. The August update will also deliver a new battle mode and additional gear for characters to wear.

How would you feel if Halo 5 launched with limited maps, but promised free maps throughout October - December?

MouldyK

More Splatoon said:
Four-on-Four Online Action: Players will have to think strategically when participating in Splatoon’s Turf War mode. Two stages are refreshed every four hours, meaning players will have to carefully consider weapons and tactics for the stages on hand.

What about Shuffling Maps so you can only play 2 every 4 hours? Nintendo are just trying some weird ideas...

Splatoon Stress Test said:
Global Testfire: Wii U owners with a broadband Internet connection can now download from the Nintendo eShop a free special demo, which will enable them to participate in four-on-four Turf War battles in several one-hour demo events set at optimal times for global play. The first Testfire event is scheduled for 8-9 p.m. Pacific time on Friday, May 8, with additional opportunities on Saturday, May 9, at both 4-5 a.m. and 12-1 p.m. During the first one-hour demo event, Nintendo will be broadcasting a live stream hosted by game experts from Nintendo’s Treehouse as they play against other Testfire participants.

^--- Halo 5 Beta this is not. Why only 3 hours on this one day?

How about... ~10 maps, with a working MP. And then map packs that go free a few months later once the new pack comes out.

Yeah, free maps should be in Halo 5 no matter what.

SaganIsGOAT

Spoilers (lol):

Yo someone scan their copies and PM them thanks. Our accounts will be fine I promise!

jem0208

Who in their right mind uses the far inferior babby mode toggle crouch?
I do.

Although you probably guessed that already.

Anyway, toggle crouch is far superior. Who wants to hold the stick down when you're sneaking around avoiding the radar?
#NoMotionTracker

Also, I find crouch jumping feels a lot smoother with toggle crouch.

All I see are filthy casuals in this thread and it's disgusting. Here's a mark of shame that the casuals can use as their avatars.
nqPu6WA.png
People only use this stupid setting because they're conditioned to relying on radar to know where the enemy is when the maps aren't even that large lol

Motion tracker is so. damn. terrible.

So, the latest Canon Fodder gives us the synopsis for Halo: Last Light, revealing it to more or less be a post-war murder mystery featuring a serial killer - possibly a Spartan serial killer, at that:

It is 2553, and the three-decade long Covenant War that defined a generation has suddenly drawn to a close. Yet, in the remotest parts of human space, tensions remain that threaten to overflow into another full-scale conflict. Beneath the surface of the planet Gao lies a vast cavern system renowned for its therapeutic effects and rumored miraculous cures. But now Gao natives are turning up brutally murdered down there – violent acts that happen to coincide with the recent arrival of a UNSC research battalion protected by Spartan Blue Team, led by the renowned Spartan-II Fred-104.

Maverick detective Veta Lopis of the Gao Ministry of Protection is only trying to do her job as the Special Inspector assigned to catch a serial killer – one who is possibly hiding within the Spartan ranks – but she never anticipates the situation spiraling out of control into an all-out crisis. When Gao is revealed to harbor ancient Forerunner technology that could solidify the UNSC’s military supremacy for centuries to come, Insurrection loyalists within the planetary government will do anything – even align with a vicious faction of what remains of the Covenant – to ensure that never happens…

But, more importantly, we also got the cover art which appears to feature Fred (a lock), the aforementioned Veta Lopis (top-right), and Spartan Tanaka:

I don't know why 343 keeps on relegating all of the awesome armors to book covers - first that Elite permutation on Hunters in the Dark, and now Tanaka's. It's pretty much my favorite "completely original" Halo 5-era armor so far (my only other one so far has been Nightfall). Couple of awesome, awesome things to note:

- Seems to near-perfectly mix the old and new aesthetics of the MJOLNIR permutations
- Illustrates you can have Spartan armor conform to feminine anatomy without either making it seem like they'd have to be borderline anorexic outside of the suit given how many layers there are to the armor (Palmer) or without hanging gracious amounts of ass out the back (Reach). Her midriff seems a little too angular, but it's still nothing awful compared to some of the other stuff we've seen.
- Ties back into my first point, but the design meshes elements of both Bungie and 343-era suits in ways that are aesthetically and practically pleasing - note especially the plating of the abdomen seamlessly transitioning into the general codpiece area without having to resort to the space diaper or doing the really out-of-place looking "space jockstrap" thing most of the male 343 armors seem to have
- look at that shit
- look at how fucking cool that shit looks
- check out her fucking forearm plating and the definition on her knuckles
- she looks like she could fucking rip out an Elite's spine with that shit

/end fangirling

-Ryn

Banned
I do.

Although you probably guessed that already.

Anyway, toggle crouch is far superior. Who wants to hold the stick down when you're sneaking around avoiding the radar?
#NoMotionTracker

Also, I find crouch jumping feels a lot smoother with toggle crouch.
As expected of the conductor of the Bad Opinion Train
:p

It's quite the opposite for me with crouch jumping. Timing and whatnot all feel clunky as all hell when toggle crouching. Most importantly teabagging is ruined by it as well.

It's a travesty

#Nomotiontracker

So, the latest Canon Fodder gives us the synopsis for Halo: Last Light, revealing it to more or less be a post-war murder mystery featuring a serial killer - possibly a Spartan serial killer, at that:

But, more importantly, we also got the cover art which appears to feature Fred (a lock), the aforementioned Veta Lopis (top-right), and Spartan Tanaka:

I don't know why 343 keeps on relegating all of the awesome armors to book covers - first that Elite permutation on Hunters in the Dark, and now Tanaka's. It's pretty much my favorite "completely original" Halo 5-era armor so far (my only other one so far has been Nightfall). Couple of awesome, awesome things to note:

- Seems to near-perfectly mix the old and new aesthetics of the MJOLNIR permutations
- Illustrates you can have Spartan armor conform to feminine anatomy without either making it seem like they'd have to be borderline anorexic outside of the suit given how many layers there are to the armor (Palmer) or without hanging gracious amounts of ass out the back (Reach). Her midriff seems a little too angular, but it's still nothing awful compared to some of the other stuff we've seen.
- Ties back into my first point, but the design meshes elements of both Bungie and 343-era suits in ways that are aesthetically and practically pleasing - note especially the plating of the abdomen seamlessly transitioning into the general codpiece area without having to resort to the space diaper or doing the really out-of-place looking "space jockstrap" thing most of the male 343 armors seem to have
- look at that shit

/end fangirling

It does look pretty damn cool.

Important to remember, though, that generally cover artists are given only a general idea of what's supposed to go on the cover. It's a weird process.

-Ryn

Banned

- look at that shit

/end fangirling
Completely agree with this

Really hope we see that armor and more like it in H5. It looks fantastic. Simple, punchy, but not without flare.

Damn I'm excited for H5

I need to start catching up on the EU. Way behind. A side not regarding Tanaka,
I thought she died in a slip space accident while in a CQC battle with Elites when the ship got hit, causing her to be sucked out mid slip jump. I guess that was someone else... I think maybe Lee?

jem0208

As expected of the conductor of the Bad Opinion Train
:p

It's quite the opposite for me with crouch jumping. Timing and whatnot all feel clunky as all hell when toggle crouching. Most importantly teabagging is ruined by it as well.

It's a travesty

#Nomotiontracker
I think the biggest reason I toggle is that I use the H4 control scheme so crouch is B. I also claw so that makes things easier.

I also find tapping B to be a bit more precise than clicking the stick, which I found quite useful for crouch jumps. Also teabagging is fine for me as I can spam the button easily :p

substradamus said:
- There's no doubt in my mind that Halo 5 will feature Space Hades / Digital Styx, or rather "The Archive of the Digitally Damned," some sort of megastructure hidden away in a Forerunner facility that serves as a processing center for all of the life that gets Composed. Maybe throw in a "clockmaker" Promethean character or AI that runs the whole place. Either way, it would explain how the Prometheans are keeping such consistent recirculation of their Composed victims. The Prometheans fought in Spartan Ops largely consisted of victims of the New Phoenix annihilation event, for reference.

some sort of megastructure hidden away in a Forerunner facility

640px-Escalation_-_AbyssEntrance.png

processing center for all of the life that gets Composed

Escalation_-_Composer%27s_Abyss2.png

throw in a "clockmaker" Promethean character or AI that runs the whole place

Escalation_-_Static_and_Blue_Team.jpg

IN DECEMBER OF 2013

EDIT: lol, from the same thread:

Jakeee said:
Last thing we need is MC going rogue and Halo 5 being CoD in Space.

IHaveIce said:
Nothing wrong with changing how story is told and the elements of it, but MC going rogue is such a stupid thing to do.

People only use this stupid setting because they're conditioned to relying on radar to know where the enemy is when the maps aren't even that large lol

Motion tracker is so. damn. terrible.

when I see people crouch walking in no radar playlists I die a little on the inside.

#IUseToggle - except in halo 3 though

You know its time to stop playing Halo when you get 5 games with bottom of the list negative KD ratings per game.

Fuck this :(

I had that the other night, just turned the xbox off and thought fuck that wasn't my night. Zero fun had. Things are evening out in terms of ranked matches now though, makes for better games.

Nowise10

Do you guys count skulls in Halo as easter eggs? Like you would put them in the same category as Siege of Madrigal, or the food nipple grunt?

GrizzNKev

Banned
Do you guys count skulls in Halo as easter eggs? Like you would put them in the same category as Siege of Madrigal, or the food nipple grunt?

Depends on the game. I don't think having an achievement for it necessarily invalidates it bring an easter egg though.

Also, anyone want to play MCC with me?

Karl2177

Attention Frank, Josh, David, Tashi, Melad, Grizz:

I just had a BTB game that started us in a FFA. The voting options were CTF on Sidewinder, Assault on Rat's Nest, and BTB Slayer on Terminal. The vote timer was at 0:00 when we joined the lobby. We tried to vote, but it loaded up Terminal regardless. It started the match as an FFA. I'd say that this is a high priority bug. Starting matches uneven isn't good, but not even loading the right settings is definitely bigger.

Tawpgun

I just had a BTB game that started us in a FFA. The voting options were CTF on Sidewinder, Assault on Rat's Nest, and BTB Slayer on Terminal. The vote timer was at 0:00 when we joined the lobby. We tried to vote, but it loaded up Terminal regardless. It started the match as an FFA. I'd say that this is a high priority bug. Starting matches uneven isn't good, but not even loading the right settings is definitely bigger.

staredog.gif

-Ryn

Banned
I think the biggest reason I toggle is that I use the H4 control scheme so crouch is B. I also claw so that makes things easier.

I also find tapping B to be a bit more precise than clicking the stick, which I found quite useful for crouch jumps. Also teabagging is fine for me as I can spam the button easily :p
I suppose a different control scheme would potentially justify the (dirty) toggle setting

Sometimes I forget people use different schemes. It's either Recon or Bumper Jumper for me personally. Reach has the best default scheme though.

I would consider their original implementation Easter eggs yeah. If they are unlocked from the get go though then they're basically just fun with the control board.

I much prefer finding them.

- look at that shit

/end fangirling
im pretty sure Tanaka Is wearing SPI armor
and Not Gen II armor like Freds

EDIT So this looks like this is team saber and not Fred and Tanaka This is likely Olivia from Ghost of Onyx and The kilo 5 trillogy

Overdoziz

Banned

"All online users that have played “Halo: The Master Chief Collection” between Nov. 11, 2014 and Dec. 19, 2014 will be eligible for the 1-month of Xbox Live Gold, an exclusive in-game nameplate and avatar, as well as the campaign for “Halo 3: ODST.”

Oh speaking of strange glitches, I picked up a Camo on Hang 'Em High and it oddly deactivated a second later lol

Never saw that happen before. Maybe it's a Halo PC thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom