• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

singhr1

Pretty much, I'm pretty sure it had a slip space drive on board. Because it was physically impossible to be in all the places it was.

Edit: So now that UC4 is 30 SP/60 MP. The vast majority of posters are completely fine with it. I feel like that's a bit hypocritical, or maybe I'm just so jaded by our saltines that I can't accept some communities are okay with whatever

It's their trust in the developer. Their game library and quality of releases gives people good reason to trust Naughty Dog's decisions. Few developers get that kind of trust anymore.

Tawpgun

Regarding the thread in gaming side about headcannon you accept.

I think Jorge is alive. I don't know the intracacies of slipspace but all that happened was the part of the ship Jorge was on was teleported somewhere. Dunno if the covies used Cryo or if theres enough edible sustenance on board but if 343 wanted to they could make some bullshit reason to bring him back.

Johnson came back after Halo 1 after all lol.

-----------

Another note, to those that played the Beta how do you think Halo 5 ranked in terms of gunfights between people. Me and Karl had a disagreement. He felt that in Halo 5 whoever sees someone first will win the fight more so than in Halo 2 and 3. I felt the opposite. I felt that Halo 5 is probably the best Halo for fighting back when behind in a gunfight. The only ones that come close are Halo 3 and Reach. And only because the BR in Halo 3 is hard to use and can be wonky and DMR bloom.

CE maybe, but I think CE in MCC is too easy to melt unaware players too fast before they can react.

Fuchsdh

I think Jorge is alive. I don't know the intracacies of slipspace but all that happened was the part of the ship Jorge was on was teleported somewhere. Dunno if the covies used Cryo or if theres enough edible sustenance on board but if 343 wanted to they could make some bullshit reason to bring him back.

Yeah, Jorge I think is an interesting case. They didn't explode the ship, they just teleported a nice chunk of it... somewhere. I could see him grabbing himself a Seraph or something and getting out of there. Where he'd end up is another matter. It's a big universe.

Another note, to those that played the Beta how do you think Halo 5 ranked in terms of gunfights between people. Me and Karl had a disagreement. He felt that in Halo 5 whoever sees someone first will win the fight more so than in Halo 2 and 3. I felt the opposite. I felt that Halo 5 is probably the best Halo for fighting back when behind in a gunfight. The only ones that come close are Halo 3 and Reach. And only because the BR in Halo 3 is hard to use and can be wonky and DMR bloom.

CE maybe, but I think CE in MCC is too easy to melt unaware players too fast before they can react.

It's been a while since beta, but I feel like in H5 it's easier to respond than it was in 1 or 2. 3 was easier because the BR was simply less of a danger (although still lethal, obviously). 5 I felt like I had more of a chance due to the thruster. It felt good, and the Reversal medal, as I keep bleating on about, is the best thing evur.

Madness

I'd like to see Jorge back. Felt more of a connection to him than the others on Noble Team. Maybe because he was a Spartan-II, he spoke Hungarian at times, and showed extra concern, almost like a child for his mother at Halsey.

Only played through the Reach campaign once, on heroic. Was doing a legendary run, but for some reason my save deleted and everything I had was reset. I couldn't even see the missions again and I never started, and yet I can still picture the Jorge death scene clearly.'Have to fire it manually, that's a one way trip, we all make it sooner or later. Listen, Reach has been good to me, time for me to return the favor, don't deny me this. Better get going six, they're gonna need you down there, tell them to make it count'. Throws you off the corvette, Marty's music playing etc.

But how could he really survive the almost what 7+ years since Reach without any trace or hint of him being alive no? Probably dead.

jem0208

I found the beta to be pretty damn good in that regard. Except maybe when someone got the drop on you with the SMG.

I think thruster helped quite a lot, at least against my opponents. I found myself thrusting and spinning around whenever I didn't know where I was being shot from. Gave me a split second to figure out where they were whilst they readjusted for the thrust.

Also the reversal medal is great, really good addition to the medals.

Regarding Jorge, 343 could just pull a Sgt. Johnson and never tell us how he survived. I always quite liked that we never found out how Johnson survived, made him seem a bit more of a badass.

Haruko

Ever since my first Reach campaign playthrough, I've wondered the same thing.

They certainly left enough of an opening for him to survive, it felt like.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

-----------

Halo 5 felt best at coming back when cover is around because of thrust. The higher skill gap in aiming likely plays a role in it feeling this way as well.

For some reason (the much better ar?) Though team shooting seems way more effective than its ever been

Fuchsdh

I found the beta to be pretty damn good in that regard. Except maybe when someone got the drop on you with the SMG.

I think thruster helped quite a lot, at least against my opponents. I found myself thrusting and spinning around whenever I didn't know where I was being shot from. Gave me a split second to figure out where they were whilst they readjusted for the thrust.

Also the reversal medal is great, really good addition to the medals.

Regarding Jorge, 343 could just pull a Sgt. Johnson and never tell us how he survived. I always quite liked that we never found out how Johnson survived, made him seem a bit more of a badass.

Well, technically we did.

Yeah, Jorge I think is an interesting case. They didn't explode the ship, they just teleported a nice chunk of it... somewhere. I could see him grabbing himself a Seraph or something and getting out of there. Where he'd end up is another matter. It's a big universe.

A very interesting theory... And one that they could definitely work with if they needed a good twist/tangent/extended universe story down the road. I'd definitely be into the idea of him being teleported somewhere.

Speaking of unknown somewheres...
We still don't know where 343gs/chakas took the Rubicon, though Hunters in the Dark kept alluding to the event.

Fuchsdh

Speaking of unknown somewheres...
We still don't know where 343gs/chakas took the Rubicon, though Hunters in the Dark kept alluding to the event.

At this point I think the two longest-dangling plot threads in the Halo universe are the fate of Sprit of Fire (going on 6 years) and the Rubicon (since 2012.)

At this point I think the two longest-dangling plot threads in the Halo universe are the fate of Sprit of Fire (going on 6 years) and the Rubicon (since 2012.)

I'd like to offer a third, and longer-running one:
Mendicant Bias

While his mystery was amplified considerably in the Forerunner trilogy, he has been dangling about since Halo 3, pulling strings and manipulating events. Heck, he was basically the sole cause of what was able to take place in Halo 4.

On average? I'd say that it's better for reversals, though in specific situations it's definitely worse. Lower TTK overall + actually effective automatic weapons means that in super-close combat you're more likely to see whoever shoots first win (though Thruster can prove to be a wildcard even there), but at basically every other range the lowered aim assist and hugely increased mobility means that reversals are even more skill-dependent than before.

Madness

On average? I'd say that it's better for reversals, though in specific situations it's definitely worse. Lower TTK overall + actually effective automatic weapons means that in super-close combat you're more likely to see whoever shoots first win (though Thruster can prove to be a wildcard even there), but at basically every other range the lowered aim assist and hugely increased mobility means that reversals are even more skill-dependent than before.

I think the greater defensive options of sprint, thrust, and clamber give players the option to evade more or not necessarily be killed if seen first. Meaning, if I saw Tawp first he could thrust away, clamber up a ledge, prolonging the kill and then actually outshoot me back. But then with AR and SMG, forget about it. If someone has that, and is scoped, pretty much nothing you can do because it's almost saw levels of quickness you'll get shredded in my opinion.

You have the best chance at coming back in CE actually. Low potential kill time with a higher average kill time, lower aim assist, good strafe.

H5 thrusters will help, but up close I think the automatics are so strong amd easy to use that it's gg unless you're right near cover.

I think the greater defensive options of sprint, thrust, and clamber give players the option to evade more or not necessarily be killed if seen first. Meaning, if I saw Tawp first he could thrust away, clamber up a ledge, prolonging the kill and then actually outshoot me back. But then with AR and SMG, forget about it. If someone has that, and is scoped, pretty much nothing you can do because it's almost saw levels of quickness you'll get shredded in my opinion.

Depends on the range. At close range, yeah, the SMG is gonna wreck your face off, because... that's what it does? It's like one step below a power weapon. Like, you come around a corner into a shotgun, that only ends one way too (unless the other guy really sucks, which is still true of the SMG). The AR is more easily reversible 'cause of the longer TTK, especially now that they've disposed of the headshot bonus on autos.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
There will be a Halo 5 panel at San Diego Comic-Con next week.

Yeah, it will be a great Comic Con panel but no megatons, and we'll have a solid presence at Gamescon. Also I will be appearing in person at China Joy. I'm as big as Keanu Reeves there.

Impala26

Ted Theodore Logan style.

GIF-amazing-astonished-Bill-and-Teds-Excellent-Adventure-Keanu-Reeves-mind-blown-OMG-surprised-wow-GIF.gif

The Fall of Reach Animated Series is being done by The Sequence Group, who were behind the terminals for Halo CEA, Halo 2A, and Halo 4. So I'm assuming it'll be something in that similar art style perhaps?

I'm down. Loved the terminal videos.

Surprisesurprise

Ramirez

Mmmmmmm

So there's a new twitch king in town. Watch out Henery!

Hey you probably see high level play on Henery's, no danger of seeing that on my MCC stream.

The game works well now, but I think I'm just tired of these games. I've put in so many games over the years, that I was ready to be done after about 8 matches. Roll on Halo 5.

Wait how do you know that?

http://halofollower.com/fall-reach-animated-series-available-halo-5-limited-editions/

or

http://www.gamesradar.com/halo-5-limited-edition-fall-of-reach-animated-series/

"The Halo 5 Limited Collector's Edition, Limited Edition and Digital Deluxe Edition will be the only way to watch a special animated series from SEQUENCE, the studio behind Halo 4 and Halo 2: Anniversary's Terminal videos, a Microsoft spokesperson has confirmed to GamesRadar. "

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
"The Halo 5 Limited Collector's Edition, Limited Edition and Digital Deluxe Edition will be the only way to watch a special animated series from SEQUENCE, the studio behind Halo 4 and Halo 2: Anniversary's Terminal videos, a Microsoft spokesperson has confirmed to GamesRadar. "
okay neat

Hey you probably see high level play on Henery's, no danger of seeing that on my MCC stream.

The game works well now, but I think I'm just tired of these games. I've put in so many games over the years, that I was ready to be done after about 8 matches. Roll on Halo 5.

I'll be honest Ram.

To me these games are not as good as they once were back in the day.

Roll on H5 indeedly.

I also have a hard time playing MCC. I'll play two or three games then I'll just stop and don't really have any desire to keep playing. Weird because I can still play Destiny or CSGO for hours, yet I get bored of MCC after a few minutes. I still enjoyed them, maybe I've also played too much and I'm just bored of them.

SaganIsGOAT

Exactly my thoughts. They're still fantastic but it's just harder to sink hours in at a time anymore.

I'll be honest Ram.

Roll on H5 indeedly.

I also have a hard time playing MCC. I'll play two or three games then I'll just stop and don't really have any desire to keep playing. Weird because I can still play Destiny or CSGO for hours, yet I get bored of MCC after a few minutes. I still enjoyed them, maybe I've also played too much and I'm just bored of them.

For me, it's the speed. I've been playing Destiny endlessly since last year and every time I've loaded up MCC for multiplayer I can't adjust to the slower play (not bothered by this for campaign stuff, oddly). The nostalgia of how much fun I had in the CE and 2 days is still there, but man, it's hard to flip back and forth between classic and modern shooters haha.

I still love you Headlong <3

SaganIsGOAT

For me, it's the speed. I've been playing Destiny endlessly since last year and every time I've loaded up MCC for multiplayer I can't adjust to the slower play (not bothered by this for campaign stuff, oddly). The nostalgia of how much fun I had in the CE and 2 days is still there, but man, it's hard to flip back and forth between classic and modern shooters haha.

I still love you Headlong <3

Do you think it's mostly the speed and mobility of modern shooters that makes it hard going back? For me personally, I ADORED Halo 3 team doubles back in the day, but playing H3 now and it just feels so slow. I'm really glad H5 is picking up the pace with faster movement speed and mobility options like thruster.

I still love playing them. Not, perhaps, for as long as I used to, but I love the fact that I can do co-op with a friend on Live on any of the games and still be entertained by random shit and the sandbox.

Same for MP.

Do you think it's mostly the speed and mobility of modern shooters that makes it hard going back? For me personally, I ADORED Halo 3 team doubles back in the day, but playing H3 now and it just feels so slow. I'm really glad H5 is picking up the pace with faster movement speed and mobility options like thruster.

For me, yes. I can't readjust to not being able to
sprint
. It's so jarring that I get frustrated and don't play for long lol. But again, this doesn't bother me for the campaigns. Just MP.

Ramirez

I'll be honest Ram.

Roll on H5 indeedly.

Definitely, time has not been kind to them. That's kinda why I like H5, because for me, it has married the speed you see in most games these days, but still kept the core Halo combat.

I was having the most trouble adjusting to the feedback, or lack thereof in Halo 2's case for example. Had no idea where I was being killed from, or by what in most cases. I also still get game crippling lag in Anny, which seemed to only be happening to me, but it's a problem that's been there since the game launched on my end. It only happens every 30 seconds or so, really strange.

Also, dem crushed blacks. o_O

For me, yes. I can't readjust to not being able to
sprint
. It's so jarring that I get frustrated and don't play for long lol. But again, this doesn't bother me for the campaigns. Just MP.
And that's the issue with modern shooters imo. They need cookie cutter elements to appeal to people. People want everything to be a twitch shooter. Not an arena shooter like UT or original halo.

Shit original halo would be fine with better movement options but shoehorning Sprint in did more bad than good. Imo.

Definitely, time has not been kind to them. That's kinda why I like H5, because for me, it has married the speed you see in most games these days, but still kept the core Halo combat.
Good point

SaganIsGOAT

If you're there sprinkles can you clarify the "game redesigned around 60fps" comments? Or maybe someone more tech savvy. I just keep seeing posts where people say, "just give me 30fps instead with better visuals" or "drop to 30fps for spilt screen." With the game being built around 60fps I am assuming they are aiming to lock it at that? Also, what kind of core systems benefit from this? Obviously fluidity of motion and quicker response to input are given, but what else? Does AI calculate more often and faster? Do the physics get the same treatment in regards to faster responses and more frequent updating for accuracy?

I'm just curious because I'm stoked they are aiming for 60fps. The feel is oh so good.

daedalius

If you're there sprinkles can you clarify the "game redesigned around 60fps" comments? Or maybe someone more tech savvy. I just keep seeing posts where people say, "just give me 30fps instead with better visuals" or "drop to 30fps for spilt screen." With the game being built around 60fps I am assuming they are aiming to lock it at that? Also, what kind of core systems benefit from this? Obviously fluidity of motion and quicker response to input are given, but what else? Does AI calculate more often and faster? Do the physics get the same treatment in regards to faster responses and more frequent updating for accuracy?

I'm just curious because I'm stoked they are aiming for 60fps. The feel is oh so good.

He has said something about the underlying base also running at 60fps, and controller inputs, etc. Basically everything is supposedly built to run off of this faster base.

Going from 30 to 60 feels crazy.

Rewatching some Warzone, I feel like the matches should be up to a half an hour long and require more points to win. The availabe reqs come so fast in the current state so everyone immediately has really good weapons. A longer match time would allow for comebacks and just more time to settle into the battle. I don't know, maybe they tested longer times and it didn't work very well. Warzone has JiP, correct?

Glass

They mentioned the E3 Warzone leveling was sped up for the show. I think that version had a time limit of 18 minutes, whereas the current internal version has a time limit of 24 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom