• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheXbox

Thank goodness no Flood in H5. I'm not a Flood hater like some but bringing back every single enemy and conflict would render H3's ending entirely moot. Let that fight be finished.

That's what my parents said when I got circumcised.

Heyoooo

Thank goodness no Flood in H5. I'm not a Flood hater like some but bringing back every single enemy and conflict would render H3's ending entirely moot. Let that fight be finished.

I have some bad news.

j3cq0odybhiw0szpag5v.jpg

They're coming back, it's just a question of when.

SaganIsGOAT

The flood have so much potential. I feel like next gen power should allow for the flood to procedurally break apart during firefights much more satisfyingly.

Fuchsdh

There's plenty to chew on right now in the universe without the Flood's return at this point. I can wait.

(Although I still want Infection + creepy Flood models, dammit!)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Even reading the words "Halo 5 mechanics" makes me want Halo 5 so bad. What a difference compared to the Halo 4 pre-release sentiment.

No Flood in h5 but they will be back. They are the evolutionary foil and counter to Whom Controls the Domain.

Imagine a Halo 3 campaign remastered but with Xbox One level hardware. Also, since you did like H4 and will like H5, imagine a multi-player that is about 10 of the best maps, remastered and built around H5 mechanics. Just as a stopgap between mainline titles.

Also, I'm ready to pay for more content. I was going to buy the new map packs regardless of whether they were free. Free just means that others will have them and I can play with them. But I mean, based on this roadmap, it means is that it for new content by June 2016? I can play Halo for a while. It doesn't matter to me. But if we're realistic, next year will see another Call of Duty and either a Battlefield or TitanFall based on EA roadmap for shooter alternation. For Halo 4, things like Forge Island and Champions DLC were never part of original post launch content plans, so maybe there will be something else? 15 maps, 6 of which are guaranteed Warzone, leaves 9 between Arena, BTB and Breakout.

If they release it of course I'll buy it... We just don't need it is all I'm saying. :p

Where is the bottom picture from?

Escalation.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm totally down for the flood coming back. Make it a spin-off game maybe. More run and gun and less sandboxy or sumthin.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I died a little when Josh said no Flood. But maybe halo 6.

343pls
I really don't know if I want them in a mainline game. They just play so differently. I guess I'd feel better about it if all the games that included the Flood didn't also include one obnoxiously terrible Flood level...

I really don't know if I want them in a mainline game. They just play so differently. I guess I'd feel better about it if all the games that included the Flood didn't also include one obnoxiously terrible Flood level...

Looking at you, Cortana.

I actually like the Library :-0

Halo CE didn't have a terrible flood level. If anyone thinks otherwise please repent and keep your mouth shut.

Bad opinion is bad.

*fist bump*

TheXbox

the library is definitely a dope level, good to see halo gaffers know better

No Flood in h5 but they will be back. They are the evolutionary foil and counter to Whom Controls the Domain.
I have no idea what any of this means. But at the end of Halo 3 Cortana says the Flood is finished, and that is exactly what they should be. Gone forever. That's good storytelling. Likewise, Cortana should stay dead. Not because she's a shit character, just like the Flood are not a shit enemy, but out of her respect for her and the narrative. Tell new stories, don't cheapen the old ones.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Looking at you, Cortana.

Dude the Library is the best Flood level, hands down. I love it. It just needed more navigation cues in the level design. Otherwise it perfectly plays to the Flood's strengths, and gives you plenty of ammo for the guns that are fun to use against the Flood: the magnum and shotgun.

After watching that game informer i can see that Marty was really unhappy where he was. Kinda sad. They were very guarded, but was easy to see they were relieved to be gone.

Gonna keep my eye on their game.

SaganIsGOAT

Dude the Library is the best Flood level, hands down. I love it. It just needed more navigation cues in the level design. Otherwise it perfectly plays to the Flood's strengths, and gives you plenty of ammo for the guns that are fun to use against the Flood: the magnum and shotgun.

Yeah when you have solid space to move around in the flood are great. Those cramped ass intestine tubes in Cortana paired with the new evolved flood was just baaaaaad imo.

Random17

I only just noticed the similarities between the Skyranger in Xcom and the OG Pelican. I vastly prefer the Skyranger's design to the current design, I'd like to add.

This is at 4k... is the image quality any good? Straight from Steam screenshots.

jem0208

The library is bloody terrible.

I want a horror style Flood spinoff. You could play as a Marine trapped on a ship infested with the flood.

Random17

The Library is an awful level that combined the worst aspects of CE. It's the polar opposite of the Silent Cartographer.

There has been no good (exclusive) flood level. The Flood is at its best when it is in a 3 or 4 way fight with the other factions, like in Quarantine Zone, or at its best in The Covenant.

Edit: Does the MS store ship to NZ? I'm thinking of picking up Halo CE on PC. Also, does H2V still require GFWL? Is there any hassle after the purchase?

TheXbox

The Library is an awful level that combined the worst aspects of CE. It's the polar opposite of the Silent Cartographer.

There has been no good (exclusive) flood level. The Flood is at its best when it is in a 3 or 4 way fight with the other factions, like in Quarantine Zone, or at its best in The Covenant.

Edit: Does the MS store ship to NZ? I'm thinking of picking up Halo CE on PC. Also, does H2V still require GFWL? Is there any hassle after the purchase?
Does Halo from H3 count? Minus a few Sentinels the only enemies you fight are Flood, and that is a god-tier level.

I only just noticed the similarities between the Skyranger in Xcom and the OG Pelican. I vastly prefer the Skyranger's design to the current design, I'd like to add.

This is at 4k... is the image quality any good? Straight from Steam screenshots.

I'm really hoping some kind soul puts together a Halo total conversion for XCOM 2. I don't think I'd need to play anything else ever again.

Oh, Flood is confirmed to not be returning?

Bummer.

I wonder if we will encounter a third faction of sorts..

ToO armors looks great too!

Trials_of_osiris_concept1.jpg

Oh wow, I like that.

I need to get into Destiny again, but the MP wasn't for me and the SP 'quests' became far too repetitive IMO. At the very least, I wish there were dungeons and environments to explore.

That Game Informer podcast was a great watch. Just reinforces my beliefs that Bungie wasn't a great fit for the Halo franchise as it usually appears they were tapped out early on and wanted to do other things. Can't blame or even hate them for it, devs should have the freedom of choice because it empowers them and allows for more creativity, so I think best case scenario happened that a new team was formed tasked with the sole purpose to take care of the Halo franchise: 343.

343 has to represent us, they have to be the fans of Halo making the decisions to please Halo fans. Halo is a franchise that has grown to be all about fan service; it's the only way it can maintain a strong position going forward. Long-lasting franchises all have this in common: cater to your hardcore fanbase, show love to all communities and do everything in your power to give them what they want while still bringing worthwhile surprises to the table.

One example: Spectator mode. People have been asking for this for a long time, but only now we're seeing it when it should have been a priority years ago. A lot of resources need to be put behind it, so that's why Bungie didn't do it? Well, I'd argue that it was something fans have always been extremely passionate over, so why not put serious resources into creating it? Why not have it a serious consideration during the pre-development and initial design phases? I feel like this has been the case for so many areas in Halo, but we've grown used to "Ehh well we got this nice new little thing, maybe next time we'll get ____" when ____ should've been a priority from the get-go lol​

Without 343, we either wouldn't have Halo or it'd be something completely different by now. By the time Halo 5 releases, this franchise will have been around for ~14 years; that's a damn long time that shows Halo is a strong brand and judging from the reception it still gets at press events and the high anticipation from fans, it has the legs to be around for much longer.

The power is in their messaging; it has to be transparent and honest. If you talk about CTF, you know the first thing that will come to people's minds are the most controversial changes like auto pickup, dropping the flag, the KILL waypoint, so for them to not mention those simple things was disappointing and a bit troubling. Easily avoidable, little things in their messaging that would be quickly picked up by long-time Halo fans. Maybe 343 needs someone to tell them, "Halo fans know this, Halo fans know that, Halo fans won't put up with that, you're going to see some resistance from Halo fans because of this this and that, maybe you should rethink your messaging if you can't answer questions where the audience views as a simple yes or no but you dance around your wording because reasons, etc. etc." And if they already have those discussions but are still making these little mistakes that are often blown out of proportion, then they need to do a better job thinking from the mind of a skeptical, sometimes positive, sometimes negative Halo fan because I feel that's what all Halo fans are at this point. Any fan who is heavily on one side is probably too jaded and/or started late in this franchise because how can you not have at least some level of disappointment and skepticism after being around for several years?

If 343 keeps improving, releases Halo 5 without any issues and gains a lot of support from fans, then rides that steadily into future projects, they will naturally become one of the most respected studios in gaming because that's the power this franchise still has. It is a massive responsibility to be tasked with a franchise like Halo, and if they succeed with Halo 5's launch (no issues) and continue with other Halo related projects that excite people, 343 will continue building that goodwill and growing their fanbase, not necessarily just fans of Halo which is quite a big deal in my opinion.

GhaleonEB

Oh wow, I like that.

I need to get into Destiny again, but the MP wasn't for me and the SP 'quests' became far too repetitive IMO. At the very least, I wish there were dungeons and environments to explore.

TTK will be up your alley then. That's what they're going for with the Dreadnaught. It's a giant space dungeon.

Wait, what thread am I in?

I'm still confused why every Halo since 3 hasn't had an ODST "take-this-engine-and-make-a-game-in-a-year" style DLC.

I would've been happy with short-but-sweet sequels to ODST with whatever Halo engine was in the most recent mainline game. Bundle in the mainline game's DLC mp maps and sell that thing for $40 at retail.

Did the formula not work for Halo 3: ODST?

Some dude with a GAF account. I like the Halos. (Well, most of them.)

You'll be back. They always come back.

I'm still confused why every Halo since 3 hasn't had an ODST "take-this-engine-and-make-a-game-in-a-year" style DLC.

I would've been happy with short-but-sweet sequels to ODST with whatever Halo engine was in the most recent mainline game. Bundle in the mainline game's DLC mp maps and sell that thing for $40 at retail.

Did the formula not work for Halo 3: ODST?

You'll be back. They always come back.

instead of doing Spartan Ops with Halo 4, they should have done it stand-alone like you suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom