• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sucks for the ones who bought the console only to play MCC.

I was going to switch to Playstation after Halo 4, but luckily for Microsoft Killer Instinct was released and it is amazing!

I did and I'm still excited for Rare's project but thats about it now that Phantom Dust is in a weird state.

Luckily I got it for $200 so Im not too bummed.

But will Rare's project be any good? Does anyone really want another Battletoads? lol

Impala26

Well, I kind of did, more for H5 though.

Destiny, MCC, and Sunset Overdrive are the only games I have lol.

I was just about to post that it's the same for me but the I realized I have both AC 4 and AC: Unity from the bundle I bought. Played about two hours of AC 4... probably should go back to those at some point, lol.

Let's not forget about the myriad of free XBL Gold games I have since November too.

EDIT:

I bought a 2nd Xbone for my wife to play Destiny on.

Perhaps not the best decision I've ever made, but at least I can play Xbone games upstairs as well?

Oh shit, THAT'S how I was playing with the both of you? XD

m23

I was going to switch to Playstation after Halo 4, but luckily for Microsoft Killer Instinct was released and it is amazing!

Recently got back into playing it, the league thing is pretty cool. Still have to play around with season 2 characters though, pretty much only using Jago online.

Recently got back into playing it, the league thing is pretty cool. Still have to play around with season 2 characters though, pretty much only using Jago online.

Leagues are cool, but I think they need to be worked on a bit more. Everything should be reset every couple months including brackets. I really love all the characters, they all play very differently and are lots of fun to use.

TheXbox

Well, to be fair, I think I'd rather sit in a MCC lobby indefinitely than play AC.
Definitely. ACU is absolutely terrible. 4, on the other hand...

Edit: Just played a game of team slayer and this guy went 27-10, he still lost. Incredible.

Edit2: and I just got loaded into a game of swat by myself. fuuuuuuuu

jem0208

I really loved Unity, other than the performance issues I thought it was probably one of the best AC games I've played. Paris was just so damn cool.

You say that, however other than performance issues, the stupid Initiates shit and people trolling about "girls being too hard to animate" I haven't seen any legitimate complaints about the game. It has the best assassination missions of the series, it also has the best open world. Yes it has the same issues as previous AC games like weak combat and iffy traversal however they're improved upon from previous games in Unity. Combat is no longer just a tap X to win game and the new up/down traversal is a massive improvement over previous systems.

It's a far better Assassin's Creed game than 4. Sure the boats were kinda cool but the rest of the game was terrible, so many awful tailing missions.

daedalius

I really loved Unity, other than the performance issues I thought it was probably one of the best AC games I've played. Paris was just so damn cool.

You say that, however other than performance issues, the stupid Initiates shit and people trolling about "girls being too hard to animate" I haven't seen any legitimate complaints about the game. It has the best assassination missions of the series, it also has the best open world. Yes it has the same issues as previous AC games like weak combat and iffy traversal however they're improved upon from previous games in Unity. Combat is no longer just a tap X to win game and the new up/down traversal is a massive improvement over previous systems.

It's a far better Assassin's Creed game than 4. Sure the boats were kinda cool but the rest of the game was terrible, so many awful tailing missions.

Is it on sale yet? I'll probably get it eventually.

Omni

Yup, Unity was amazing. DLC was fun too. Can't wait to see what they do with that storyline. I expect another Arno game in the future.

In the meantime I'm really looking forward to the new AC game this year (also playable female characters? Awesome)

Impala26

Jem... please understand...

Busting your balls is basically a weekly tradition here at HaloGAF. XD

Obviously AC:U had a ton of launch issues, but I haven't played it honestly so I have no idea how it plays today.

jem0208

Is it on sale yet? I'll probably get it eventually.

I bought it for like £12 on a cd key reselling site. But I don't think we're allowed to talk about them here anymore...

Jem... please understand...

Busting your balls is basically a weekly tradition here at HaloGAF. XD

Obviously AC:U had a ton of launch issues, but I haven't played it honestly so I have no idea how it plays today.

I know :p

The whole ACU thing just kinda annoys me because it's a genuinely good AC game and definitely a bit of a return to form yet it gets brushed aside because of the performance issues.

AC is zzzzzzzz

Wake me up when it moves to feudal Japan.

http://kotaku.com/new-assassins-creed-spinoff-is-a-sidescroller-in-16th-c-1637649790

Close enough :p

Shovel Knight is legit if anyone is on the fence about it. Been playing that and Tomb Raider lately, both great games.

And Poker, a new Battletoads is something you don't think you want, but you do. In fact, it's probably a matter of need by now lol

I mean, even I don't like the survivor perk...

Honestly, I don't like any perks and I don't like most AAs. I tolerate them so I can use thruster pack though. Also spawning with a boltshot is so damn annoying.

I really enjoy H4, however I acknowledge it has problems. You can like perks etc. however you have to admit they're distinctly un-Halo. I do think Legendary BRs is a genuinely good game of Halo though. Shooting just feels really good in H4; I seriously think it has the best feeling guns in the series.

I had no problems with the perk. It's not like big team was a ranked playlist in Halo 4, and I enjoyed the casual fun. And again, I'd have no problem with legendary if it let me keep infinite sprint and my thruster. That's pretty much all I want as far as the Halo 4 goodness goes.

Luckily Halo 5 is keeping those two things and making everything even starts once more. Which is great and a fair middle ground for people like me and old school fans who really want that legendary equal starts feeling.

Edit: I'm sad to see people still having issues after the patch. I'm having pretty decent luck every night with my team. But we play with the same group every night, we could definitely just be getting lucky.

daedalius

I was kind of hoping a while back they'd put in a pseudo H5 playlist, with thruster pack, infinite sprint, resupply maybe?

Now it seems like the game breaks whenever we get a new playlist(or anything else), so I doubt that is going to happen.

TheXbox

The whole ACU thing just kinda annoys me because it's a genuinely good AC game and definitely a bit of a return to form yet it gets brushed aside because of the performance issues.
For me at least the performance was so bad I just didn't want to play it. Running full speed down any street resulted in single-digit framerate and throngs of people popping in mere feet ahead of me. And frankly, beyond the veil of bugs and performance issues, I don't see anything noteworthy. It's a totally average AC game, one that happens to play a lot worse than all of its predecessors.

15664343-0C95-4880-A5B4-97B5FC7C3A76_zpsqabygq1j.jpg

When was the last time YOU were put in a 3v4 and had a -26 kid on your team?

Hey guys, Halo Reach is a really cool game and I've noticed the majority here does not love it as much as I do. I've been playing it from time to time in between the MCC and I really miss it and its heydays. Train of thought incoming:

The weapons and armor abilities added to the Halo sandbox really give you more ways to play the game. The Falcon is the coolest thing ever and the pro-pipe is better than the sticky detonator will ever be. Next to competitive tryharding, Halo for me has also been about doing cool stuff in the multiplayer like tricking people with a hologram (people never fell for this) or jumping of Spire and breaking the fall with a jet pack. I sound like an excited ten-year old but I fail to care at this point. Remember Highland and Breakneck? Those maps were the coolest and don't get me started on Forge World, although that map became bland after a while. I do admit that the DLC maps were much better than the stock maps (lots of them done my Certain Affinity right?). Armor customization was also really cool and stuff. Campaign-wise Bungie really tried developing characters, it is debatable however whether Noble-Team is actually interesting but Bungie really managed to put together an awesome and diverse campaign experience. (inb4 retcon)

Whether you disagree with the design decisions such as bloom, I think Bungie really succeeded innovating the Halo genre all the way to its limit, without conforming too much the mainstream shooter genre, which 343 is guilty of doing according to popular opinion (and mine!). It is also hard to believe that this same Bungie that made Destiny, which is in terms of content nothing like Halo.

Don't lynch me pls, this is what I feel man. Go tell me my feelings suck, I'll go back to lurking again.

I have to say, im sometimes that guy in your game.

The guy that goes way negative.

Im sorry, the matchmaking in this game is just terrible. Sometimes i play with people my skill and have a blast. sometimes people way below me. sometimes i feel like im playing with pros.

Its all over the board.

m23

Hey guys, Halo Reach is a really cool game and I've noticed the majority here does not love it as much as I do. I've been playing it from time to time in between the MCC and I really miss it and its heydays. Train of thought incoming:

The weapons and armor abilities added to the Halo sandbox really give you more ways to play the game. The Falcon is the coolest thing ever and the pro-pipe is better than the sticky detonator will ever be. Next to competitive tryharding, Halo for me has also been about doing cool stuff in the multiplayer like tricking people with a hologram (people never fell for this) or jumping of Spire and breaking the fall with a jet pack. I sound like an excited ten-year old but I fail to care at this point. Remember Highland and Breakneck? Those maps were the coolest and don't get me started on Forge World, although that map became bland after a while. I do admit that the DLC maps were much better than the stock maps (lots of them done my Certain Affinity right?). Armor customization was also really cool and stuff. Campaign-wise Bungie really tried developing characters, it is debatable however whether Noble-Team is actually interesting but Bungie really managed to put together an awesome and diverse campaign experience. (inb4 retcon)

Whether you disagree with the design decisions such as bloom, I think Bungie really succeeded innovating the Halo genre all the way to its limit, without conforming too much the mainstream shooter genre, which 343 is guilty of doing according to popular opinion (and mine!). It is also hard to believe that this same Bungie that made Destiny, which is in terms of content nothing like Halo.

Don't lynch me pls, this is what I feel man. Go tell me my feelings suck, I'll go back to lurking again.

The best thing about Reach mp was the grenade launcher. Not really sure how they innovated Halo with Reach.

Glad for you, enjoy the things you love. Enough time has passed that I can look past my distaste for Reach and embrace it as a stepping stone for this franchise, similar to Halo 4. Everything that happened needed to happen in order to get the vision back on track. No longer will we have useless weapons and painfully sluggish gameplay. No longer will the BR be the only weapon people use. No longer will Halo 3 fans rule this franchise with a floppy fist.

Halo 5 will hopefully be the sequel I've wanted for 10 years, but if not, there's always Halo 6.

daedalius

The first thing that comes to mind about reach for me is how much I disliked the 100% bloom dmr in multiplayer.

It worked fine in invasion because elites had giant heads.

85% was better, but still not great, and ZB was definitely the best. Nades were still a bit too nuclear imo.

I did like the campaign well enough tho, good infantry combat, not as many big dumb set pieces as h3 tho.

Akai__

Im sorry, the matchmaking in this game is just terrible. Sometimes i play with people my skill and have a blast. sometimes people way below me. sometimes i feel like im playing with pros.

Its all over the board.

I don't think anyone has anything against people who go negative. It's just the way the game matches you up. Trueskill simply doesn't exist and if there was a clear social/ranked split (with a real ranking system and not this half assed one), people wouldn't even complain.

Halo 2 (and Halo 3 to a degree) had it right. I never had teammates, that had 0 kills or went -20+.But in the MCC? Happens like every 5th match...

The best thing about Reach mp was the grenade launcher. Not really sure how they innovated Halo with Reach.

Yes. BEST. WEAPON. EVER.

Impala26

Two Words:
Forge World

Haven't seen anything approaching it yet on any other console FPS even 5 years on. Reach's Forge is still the best Forge in the franchise (have yet to see about 5).

Its all over the board.
Don't get hit. Don't die. Cover your teammates and hold positions. When you spawn, immediately go to where your teammates are and cover angles they aren't watching. Put bullets into everyone even if you think they won't die, but understand that it takes several seconds for them to regenerate, allowing you time to be productive as they play it safe.

The rest will fall into place if you worry more about your deaths and ensuring your teammates' safety than your own kills. This is one barrier that keeps players from progressing and consistently dropping huge neg-bombs. It may be obvious, but many are oblivious to the fact that if you don't die, the enemy team doesn't get kills and may lead to them making poor decisions in their positioning, allowing you to capitalize on situations where you maintain control. The problem with many fans (not limited to the Halo fanbase) is that they put soooooo much investment into their K/D spread that they forget some of the most important aspects of a team.

Seriously, don't die and think critically about your positioning. If you have three teammates walking down a single hallway, looking the same direction, shooting one guy, it would be more effective for you to watch another angle and let them get that kill. Don't try and steal it to boost your stats, understand the greater situation at hand.
I don't think anyone has anything against people who go negative.
Well, I wouldn't say that. How many times must one run into a group of 4 people expecting things to change when all they're doing is giving free kills to the enemy team?
Halo 2 (and Halo 3 to a degree) had it right. I never had teammates, that had 0 kills or went -20+.But in the MCC? Happens like every 5th match...
Lucky you lol

Still a right bugger's muddle though on any front of balance.

Which is what legendary was for. I may not like it, but I understand why some people need it.

For a more crazy big team experience infinity big team filled that void for me. I actually enjoyed grabbing a damage boost and jumping in a banshee, it was nuts. Or with the survivor perk, timing your vehicles explosion so you could burst out and jack an enemy vehicle. Very little was cooler than that. Yes it wasn't the most balanced thing but I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Plus the sticky det made for some fun in vehicles too. Let someone jack your ghost and then blow it up.

But yes it isn't BR versus BR standard spawn controlling Halo so not every digs it, I understand that.

Speaking of the Grenade Launcher, are there any objections to it returning as a hybrid with the Sticky Detonator? As in:

Hold RT for Grenade Launcher properties (bouncing off walls, release to explode)
Press RT for Sticky Detonator properties (press once to shoot Sticky Det., can stick to walls, press again to detonate)​

I feel like that's the obvious design to bring the best of both worlds, but is it too obvious that they won't do it? Like the Keyes' Magnum; it makes too much sense that I doubt it will be in the game lol

EDIT:
But then what would be the ADS mode be?
Displays the motion tracker on the Grenade Launcher? Maybe even bring up a little holographic motion tracker out of the weapon or it can just be a slight zoom. Anything, really.

Welfare

Speaking of the Grenade Launcher, are there any objections to it returning as a hybrid of the Sticky Detonator? As in:

Hold RT for Grenade Launcher properties (bouncing off walls, release to explode)
Press RT for Sticky Detonator properties (press once to shoot Sticky Det., can stick on walls, press again to detonate)​

I feel like that's the obvious design to bring the best of both worlds, but is it too obvious that they won't do it? Like the Keyes' Magnum; it makes too much sense that I doubt it will be in the game lol

But then what would be the ADS mode be?

Glad for you, enjoy the things you love. Enough time has passed that I can look past my distaste for Reach and embrace it as a stepping stone for this franchise, similar to Halo 4. Everything that happened needed to happen in order to get the vision back on track. No longer will we have useless weapons and painfully sluggish gameplay. No longer will the BR be the only weapon people use. No longer will Halo 3 fans rule this franchise with a floppy fist.

Halo 5 will hopefully be the sequel I've wanted for 10 years, but if not, there's always Halo 6.

That's another way to look at it, very well said.

I can't believe its been almost 5 years since the release of Reach and almost 8 since Halo 3. It makes you realize how invested you are in this franchise since it left me such vivid memories of me playing the game (with friends) and having fun.

That's another way to look at it, very well said.

I can't believe its been almost 5 years since the release of Reach and almost 8 since Halo 3. It makes you realize how invested you are in this franchise since it left me such vivid memories of me playing the game (with friends) and having fun.

Nerd.

-Ryn

Banned
Dank memes are for hippies
14977506.jpg

They just want to take morning wood to its most literal conclusion breh

Truly one of the greatest posts I've seen here in my short stint with HaloGAF
Greatness can be found even in the thickest Cambodian ass swamps

Luckily HaloGAF is cool so it's much easier to find

I used to write off Dwells posts as "old saltiness", but as the months roll on and the promise of a well-working MCC seem to diminish, his posts are starting to reverberate a little stronger now. I'm not at the point where I'm going to say 343i/MS have committed criminal acts with the release and support of the MCC, but it is beginning to become disgraceful.

At this point, I'd rather have the game be issued a proper recall and some dev team that isn't 343i and knows how to code multiplayer well should start work on the package almost clean-slate fresh/square one and re-relase the game sometime like Q2 2016. People ask me why I've been playing so much Destiny lately... well, much like Daeddy said, it's that I can't stand a broken game when my gaming time is semi-precious.
It'd be cool if they could bring BluePoint on the MCC. Those guys have level 80 port wizards.

At least there's hope for H5 working from launch. Really would like the MCC to be mostly fixed before that though...

It's weird that despite knowing of the MCC's eregious flaws, my desire to play it hasn't faltered at all. Halo is a curse.

Speaking of the Grenade Launcher, are there any objections to it returning as a hybrid with the Sticky Detonator? As in:

Press RT for Sticky Detonator properties (press once to shoot Sticky Det., can stick to walls, press again to detonate)​

EDIT:
Displays the motion tracker on the Grenade Launcher? Maybe even bring up a little holographic motion tracker out of the weapon or it can just be a slight zoom. Anything, really.
I'm into this. However it makes too much sense to exist. I'm pretty sure we've used up most of the alloted sense with the Thruster Pack and Keyes Pistol.

That's what 343 has been saying since November.
Ba dum T
A
SSHH
I

jem0208

I had no problems with the perk. It's not like big team was a ranked playlist in Halo 4, and I enjoyed the casual fun. And again, I'd have no problem with legendary if it let me keep infinite sprint and my thruster. That's pretty much all I want as far as the Halo 4 goodness goes.

Luckily Halo 5 is keeping those two things and making everything even starts once more. Which is great and a fair middle ground for people like me and old school fans who really want that legendary equal starts feeling.

Edit: I'm sad to see people still having issues after the patch. I'm having pretty decent luck every night with my team. But we play with the same group every night, we could definitely just be getting lucky.
The lack of consistency is what annoyed me about the perk, some people having it and others not. It was also rather annoying taking down a vehicle only to see the driver pop out of the vehicle and sprint away.
For me at least the performance was so bad I just didn't want to play it. Running full speed down any street resulted in single-digit framerate and throngs of people popping in mere feet ahead of me. And frankly, beyond the veil of bugs and performance issues, I don't see anything noteworthy. It's a totally average AC game, one that happens to play a lot worse than all of its predecessors.
The performance is definitely far better than that now. Drops are still pretty prevalent. However nothing under 25ish from my experience.

As for the actual game, I thought it was probably the best game of the series. They improved upon control and combat issues (sadly didn't solve them but they're much better), the large scale sandbox assassination missions are fantastic and the game is completely gorgeous. Paris is so damn detailed that it's one of the few games where I've found myself just wandering around looking at things. It's definitely not perfect but I really enjoyed it.

Funny discussion about how terrible NeoGAF apparently is on the Beyond forums at the moment.

RIP in pieces FollowTheWind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom