• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welfare

Halo Channel is a bad example, as was Halo Waypoint, but I'd much rather have a snappable Xbox One app that does this across all Halo games than one that is in-game.

No one should have to go to a separate app to look at detailed stats. If I'm in Halo 5, I want to be in Halo 5 to look at stats.

When more Halo games come out, maybe the Halo Channel can put in stats, but only after those stats are viewable in game.

singhr1

By the way, what happened to campaign stats/splits. I saw them early on but never looked into them until I recently started speed running. Now I don't see them on the website. Did they get removed?

No one should have to go to a separate app to look at detailed stats. If I'm in Halo 5, I want to be in Halo 5 to look at stats.

When more Halo games come out, maybe the Halo Channel can put in stats, but only after those stats are viewable in game.

Kinda sad that MCC's in-game stats are more in-depth for everything but game history.

I dunno. I can't recall ever seeing stats done very well in a game before. I find them clunky and usually held back by having to respect the game UI design. All the stats that I've liked have been on websites or in apps. Not saying it isn't possible, I just haven't seen any that stick out in my mind.

Having it be a separate app also adds a few benefits, like being able to push updates separately from game updates. That can also be circumvented with more intelligent server-side stat presentation, but again, I haven't really seen anything all that compelling.

I much prefer an app approach, personally. Have a good, robust, and open stats API, and 9 times out of 10 some random dev will come up with something better than the official within a few weeks or months. Now, if there were only a way to publish that sort of thing the Xbox One marketplace ;)

Man, MCC is working like a champ tonight, for me at least.

I gotta say the H2 BR isn't the tool of destruction in my hands that it is in 3 or 4.

I miss the feature where after a match, it just rolls on into the next one.

Lastly, I think I ran into way more AFK than quitters tonight.

Goddammit, this game could have really been something! I honestly would support a full recall. Game goes away for 3 months or however long it takes and then ships again as intended. Hell, they could even build a little hype back for the diehards before rerelease if it was indeed fixed.

Like many of you, I really hope Stinkles keeps his word about that MCC postmortem. That's gotta be s hell of a story...

Random17

Random talk; ODST on Legendary with Black Eye is the only real way to play it. It actually makes you feel kind of like an ODST, as opposed to a Spartan with a mask.

That's a challenge for you Halo Gaf; first time playing ODST on MCC should be on Legendary with Black Eye activated. It's still easier than the other Halo campaigns on Legendary, imo.

I dunno. I can't recall ever seeing stats done very well in a game before. I find them clunky and usually held back by having to respect the game UI design. All the stats that I've liked have been on websites or in apps. Not saying it isn't possible, I just haven't seen any that stick out in my mind.

Having it be a separate app also adds a few benefits, like being able to push updates separately from game updates. That can also be circumvented with more intelligent server-side stat presentation, but again, I haven't really seen anything all that compelling.

I much prefer an app approach, personally. Have a good, robust, and open stats API, and 9 times out of 10 some random dev will come up with something better than the official within a few weeks or months. Now, if there were only a way to publish that sort of thing the Xbox One marketplace ;)

Sure I'd love an app so I can just get stats pushed to an iPhone/Windows phone or web app. I still want to see a real time phone style app that shows a team comparison stat table e.g. KDR for each player in a team line up or % of their games for the current game variant voted for and their win/loss ratio as well. Possibly complex big data stuff but it would be awesome to get to brainstorm some really useful competitive stats and apps.

I'd imagine they could be re-purposed for live events too e.g. Snipedown takes out Ninja and a stats shows his KDR against that player on that weapon match up or map etc. Let the code do the work.

As for in game I'd say Halo 2 had some great stats and the classic simple Bungie presentation, which has returned in MCC but missing a few vitals stats/modes. I loved the shots fired & hit percentage from H2. H4 medals really broken down the objective stats and points rewards over the slayer foundation really well, they just never pushed that into the stats for post carnage report.

RowdyReverb

Last game of the night: H3 SWAT on SWATSSEMBLY, which if a word can be a mouthful, that's one that's also a fingertwister. Yeesh.

Anyway, guys, I am not good at Halo right now. I'm never that great, even with tons of practice, but in the months following the release of a new game I typically become fairly sharp. That hasn't happened with MCC because of all the problems, and I no longer have my old systems to play on.

The point is, I just stank up a game so badly. Have you ever had one of those days where you just seem to get nailed from the second you spawn? Fucking OVER and OVER, never had a chance to turn around! Like, spawn, begin to move and scan, TOO LATE, spawn, etc.

Nobody even gave me the respect of good ol' fashioned warrior-to-warrior teabagging. Why waste time? There's no point when they can just go shoot me again the instant I respawn.

Fuck this shit, bruh. It's bedtime, I'm gonna go cry into my pillow like a beyotch.

RowdyReverb

Last game of the night: H3 SWAT on SWATSSEMBLY, which if a word can be a mouthful, that's one that's also a fingertwister. Yeesh.

Anyway, guys, I am not good at Halo right now. I'm never that great, even with tons of practice, but in the months following the release of a new game I typically become fairly sharp. That hasn't happened with MCC because of all the problems, and I no longer have my old systems to play on.

The point is, I just stank up a game so badly. Have you ever had one of those days where you just seem to get nailed from the second you spawn? Fucking OVER and OVER, never had a chance to turn around! Like, spawn, begin to move and scan, TOO LATE, spawn, etc.

Nobody even gave me the respect of good ol' fashioned warrior-to-warrior teabagging. Why waste time? There's no point when they can just go shoot me again the instant I respawn.

Fuck this shit, bruh. It's bedtime, I'm gonna go cry into my pillow like a beyotch.
SWAT and CE are pretty merciless in this regard. It is definitely frustrating to feel like you're just trying to scramble for cover every time you spawn so you can actually take a breath before dying again. I'd recommend going into a more gentle playlist like BTB where you're less likely to get spawn trapped and you can play less aggressively until you get back in the groove.
Also, I've noticed my skill in SWAT is inversely proportional to the hours I've been awake. It's not an easy game to play if you're nearing your usual bedtime. A tired brain just doesn't do twitch.

meanwhile in the gears thread gaming side:
36e2ap.jpg

everyone seems to be drawn to the same conclusion - Campaign is just the first game and MP is a grab bag from the best of what the other three games have to offer.

on one half I'll be very pleased, on the other I'll be crying on the inside yelling why MCC wasn't done in the same manner.

Defect

meanwhile in the gears thread gaming side:

everyone seems to be drawn to the same conclusion - Campaign is just the first game and MP is a grab bag from the best of what the other three games have to offer.

So just Gears 1 and 3?
hue

I tried playing Halo today but my controller has severe stick drift so I can't aim for shit. Y bungee

only good things 2 had was cover canceling, scorcher, chainsaw duels, nerfed active longshot and blood drive.

as for halo, won a game of halo 3 rumble pit, had to work for it though. 8 people make game control so difficult.

Madness

Gears of War 2 had Horde though and a decent campaign. Prior to MCC, I had called it my most disappointing multi-player purchase. Gave up on the game by Christmas though. Played World at War and Halo 3.

I think what happened with Gears 2 is a big reason Gears declined in terms of longevity and playerbase beyond just the hardcore fans. Gears 3 MP was solid, but the game plummeted after first month in terms of total players.

IMO that Gears Remaster is going to die really fast if they are aiming for a 2015 release.

With Halo 5, CoD and Battlefront on the horizon this game wont keep a healthy population...

Madness

IMO that Gears Remaster is going to die really fast if they are aiming for a 2015 release.

With Halo 5, CoD and Battlefront on the horizon this game wont keep a healthy population...

That's true. As much as I loved Gears 1 (played it honestly every single day until Halo 3 launch), I just can't see buying it full price and playing it if I have Battlefront and Halo 5. However, a $39.99 launch price might not be too bad, but even then, why play it over the other games.

All those 3rd person shooters you listed off, much competition.

NVM: Forgot SW is 3rd Person, ehh it'll be fine.
It'll have a better pop than MCC though.

I've been there, man. SWAT is my warmup playlist, since it gets me back into most of the good habits (scanning, spotting, headshots). As a result, my first few games are... generally pretty ugly :p

Fuchsdh

Random talk; ODST on Legendary with Black Eye is the only real way to play it. It actually makes you feel kind of like an ODST, as opposed to a Spartan with a mask.

That's a challenge for you Halo Gaf; first time playing ODST on MCC should be on Legendary with Black Eye activated. It's still easier than the other Halo campaigns on Legendary, imo.

Haven't ever tried it with Black Eye, but I agree about Legendary. It's the only game I started on Legendary first and played through (that said Coastal Highway with Black Eyes sounds like a nightmare unless you're doing it coop.)

Impala26

Haven't ever tried it with Black Eye, but I agree about Legendary. It's the only game I started on Legendary first and played through (that said Coastal Highway with Black Eyes sounds like a nightmare unless you're doing it coop.)

Any major vehicle section of a Halo campaign with Black Eye is a fresh hell...
That or stuck in a fight with high-ranking Elites, Brutes or Hunters.
Buggers can go fuck right off too...

Tawpgun

I'm really excited for ranked Halo 3. Then I can spend the two days a week I don't spend playing Halo, playing more Halo. As a "Halo 3 kid"

Anyone else realize that soon after griz got hired the patch that broke the game came out?

It's ok Griz, just flip the BR switch and I'll forgive you

jem0208

Been pretty heavily rumoured since Ninja made his new squad actually. Surprised they actually managed it though because there was a bunch of contract issues for almost every player.

Pretty cool though because Liquid is really big org.

that website is stuck in 2005

i dont know who team liquid is

http://www.teamliquidpro.com/news/2015/05/14/welcoming-halo-to-the-liquid-family

Here's their (much nicer) main website. Team Liquid are huge though, one of the biggest eSports organisations around I think. They're sponsored by people like Nissan, Alienware and HTC.

Team Liquid is one of the oldest esports organization out there, it was originally a Starcraft team, they merged with Curse Gaming last year and expanded to a lot of other games like LoL and CSGO.

Fuchsdh

Seems like a lot of the old SC groups are expanding to other games as the competitive scene fades—LoL ate a lot of their lunch, and a lot of casters and such are going to Hearthstone and HoTS. Not surprised Liquid is diversifying as well.

You got a problem with the mid 00's?

2005 was a good year. I graduated high school, Xbox 360 launched, Halo 2 on Xbox Live was actually PLAYABLE. Great year.

Finished primary school, got rekt in melee alot, was really good at ninja gaiden, girls were suddenly less "icky", life was simpler.

geez, a decade goes by in the blink of an eye

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Wow. Just read Ttuvapor and Wahrer's argument about his ban, in response to my completely unrelated tweet about e3.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Rat's Nest is a damn good BTB map. Lots of opportunity for Warthogs to rack up kills, but plenty of options for infantry to counter them or avoid them altogether.

Ban over?

Naw it was perma, for what looked like diet racism in a Baltimore thread.

Fuchsdh

Watching Twitter arguments like that is really weird. It's the equivalent of three people in a room where two guys are arguing with each other and looking silently over to the third person after every statement like they're expecting him to back them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom