• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fracas

#fuckonami
New Hunt The Truth

residentsleeper.png

Hunt the Truth > Game of Thrones

Entertainment is about an enjoyable experience, and this season of Game of Thrones has been sketchy at best imo. Only good thing about Sundays have been Hunt the Truth and Big Brother Canada (not bad, only on season 3 so you can tell they're still learning a lot, but serves as a decent substitute for the main show).

EDIT: Forgot to mention this, but I appreciate the reference to Halo Legends: Homecoming. Pretty cool.

Haruko

Anyone else feel like FERO may actually be CINCONI Serin Osman? Setting Ben up?

Aren't ONI/#TeamLocke the ones painting Chief as a traitor in the other Halo 5 marketing?

Welfare

Had the LAGGIEST game in my Halo career last night, and it was on Blackout :(((

Suffered through 12 minutes of bullshit just so I could get my rank 12.

"Dedicated servers"

Nodnol

Hi Halo GAF,

Rather than make a LTTP thread, I thought I'd post in here.

So until a few week ago, I'd never played a MC Halo game. I borrowed a friend's copy of ODST, and played Reach. I always felt awkward about jumping into Halo without starting at the beginning.

Thanks to the MCC though, I've just blitzed 1-4 in a couple of weeks. What a ride. I get it now, I think. Halo 5 has gone from a "looks cool" title to a "choo choo hype train" game.

Can anyone recommend any essential further reading/viewing to flesh things out? I have had no exposure whatsoever outside of the games.

You know what I really appreciate about Halo 4 now, and thought Halo 5 was pretty damn good at?

Sound design, playing the MCC for a few days now, and the sound design for H2/3 is terrible.

Halo 2A suffers from multiple sound issues as well.

Tawpgun

You know what I really appreciate about Halo 4 now, and thought Halo 5 was pretty damn good at?

Sound design, playing the MCC for a few days now, and the sound design for H2/3 is terrible.

I remembering thinking I was gonna hate all the beeps and shit in Halo 5.

Ended up loving it. Great feedback. Could get toned down a bit but now I'm craving those sounds

I really disliked the sound design in 4, felt like a cacophony of noise in MP.

Impala26

I have mastered Halo. Let's move on to a more relevant franchise.

Not Destiny, Impala.

See... you say this, but House of Wolves drops tomorrow and I'd be willing to be dollars to doughnuts that even amongst HaloGAF regulars more will be playing that this week than any other XB1 offerings. :p

Crucible is still a hot mess though, I'll give you that. But it's the kind of random fun that I'd liken to a game of Super Smash Bros.--you'd like to treat it competitively, but at the end of the day there's too much random bullshit. Much like Smash, be sure to check any notions of "balance" at the door before entering.

By the way Daeddy, you best get that Last Word upgraded ASAP because Last Word in Crucible is...
residentsleeper.png

I remembering thinking I was gonna hate all the beeps and shit in Halo 5.

Ended up loving it. Great feedback. Could get toned down a bit but now I'm craving those sounds

You guys are right on the money with this. Loved H4's sound design minus just a few things:

"Chirpy" BR--my gun is a starling apparently
Magnum--OG pistol sound used in Reach was more than fine
Warthog Engine--'nuff said

Nowise10

I thought that too, but playing it recently, I don't mind it.

I know people have issues with the iconic weapon sounds though.
And vehicle sounds :(

Halo 4 tried to get everything all realistic sounding. Halo doesn't need that. Halo Reach showed that. I think a Halo 5 is sounding a lot better than H4 though, which is nice.

IHaveIce

Banned
Reach had shit maps, shit BTB, shitty playlists most of the time and shit forge.

Except for Zero bloom, Squad Slayer or MLG it was shit.

Swat with DMR was boring on shit maps, Snipers on Blood Gulch was terrible.

Grenade Launcher was awesome.

That's Reach for me.

Impala26

Reach had shit maps, shit BTB, shitty playlists most of the time and shit forge.

Except for Zero bloom, Squad Slayer or MLG it was shit.

Swat with DMR was boring on shit maps, Snipers on Blood Gulch was terrible.

Grenade Launcher was awesome.

That's Reach for me.

Umm... Invasion and Action Sack?

THUS I REFUTE THEE.

Nowise10

shitty playlists....shit forge.

lolwat
Beach had basically every playlist. My only complaint was lack of a headhunter playlist. Other then that they catered pretty heavily to everything.

And Forge was amazing coming from Halo 3. The grey metal was its main setback after a year, and probably could've used another dlc forge map.

IHaveIce

Banned
lolwat
Beach had basically every playlist. My only complaint was lack of a headhunter playlist. Other then that they catered pretty heavily to everything.

And Forge was amazing coming from Halo 3. The grey metal was its main setback after a year, and probably could've used another dlc forge map.

Shitty playlistmanagement, lots of different setting across the board.

Game relied to much on Forge maps, which looked ugly and ran poorly most of the time.

Also Action Sack is not for me, Invasion was good on paper was boring to play and again shitty maps

Hi Halo GAF,

So until a few week ago, I'd never played a MC Halo game. I borrowed a friend's copy of ODST, and played Reach. I always felt awkward about jumping into Halo without starting at the beginning.

Thanks to the MCC though, I've just blitzed 1-4 in a couple of weeks. What a ride. I get it now, I think. Halo 5 has gone from a "looks cool" title to a "choo choo hype train" game.

Can anyone recommend any essential further reading/viewing to flesh things out? I have had no exposure whatsoever outside of the games.

I'd recommend reading Eric Nyund's books. That includes the fall of Reach, which gives you a great look into how and why the spartan program came to be.

First strike is also great. It tells what happened on Reach, and bridges the gap between Halo CE and Halo 2.

The ghost of Onyx is also a must read in my opinion. It focuses on the Spartan III and their involvement in the Human-Covenant war, and you also spend some time with blue team(which is going to play a part in Halo 5).

jem0208

Hi Halo GAF,

I'd recommend playing through Reach and ODST again. They're both excellent games and knowing the context of what you're doing makes their stories a lot better.

Other than games some of the books are very good. I can't remember all of the good ones but I know that the Fall of Reach is very good; explains the back story of the Master Chief and how the Spartan program was set up. There are a few irregularities between the game Reach and the book but it's still worth reading. The forerunner trilogy is also worth reading. It's not quite as good and can drag on a bit however it really builds the backstory of the universe. Explains all about forerunners and the origins of the Halo Rings and the Flood etc. Definitely worth pushing through the slower parts.

Hunt the Truth is also absolutely amazing. Go listen to that right now if you haven't already. One thing to note is that it starts on episode 0, not episode 1.

jem0208

Honestly, Hunt the Truth is incredible so I'm not bummed at all.
I think it's quite funny how initially lots of people were really disappointed that we got this audio series instead of a trailer. Turns out Hunt the Truth is far better than any trailer could have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom