• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

IHaveIce

Banned
Honestly, Hunt the Truth is incredible so I'm not bummed at all.
Yeah but the barn is linked to MP footage for me. So meh.
I think it's quite funny how initially lots of people were really disappointed that we got this audio series instead of a trailer. Turns out Hunt the Truth is far better than any trailer could have been.

I like Hunt the Truth aswell but come on man. A real Trailer would have been way better than these datalogs where the chief is painted in a bad light

Fuchsdh

I like Hunt the Truth aswell but come on man. A real Trailer would have been way better than these datalogs where the chief is painted in a bad light

We're going to get more trailers. That's a given. But as promotional tools I think this one is far more engaging and more targeted.

Yeah i would prefer screenshots or some teaser trailers over this huntthetruth thing :/

SaganIsGOAT

Hunt the Truth has hyped me up for Halo 5 more than ANY other piece of marketing material. The direction they are pushing this Universe is something I always wondered about, but never truly believed it would head this way. I'm very intrigued and excited about where this is all going.

jem0208

No way, this is far more interesting and exciting than any trailer could have been.

I don't think I have ever been so engaged by any form of marketing before. I'm more hyped for the next episode of Hunt the Truth than I am Game of Thrones...

Not only has it been very effective in getting me excited for H5, it's also been extremely entertaining in it's own right as well. You can't say that about a trailer, even if it's a very good one. Trailers are purely hype builders. Hunt the Truth is more than that.

They should have made him a video blogger. I am enjoying the hunt the truth stuff but a visual aspect would help a lot.

I'd just like to say that I would welcome the ability to spawn a giant pile of Ghosts on command. I think it'd really enhance the Halo experience.

SaganIsGOAT

Get chased by the plasma launcher was both harrowing and hilarious at the same time. It was like a mini game trying to outrun it. Very fun weapon.

Impala26

Eh, but that adds a lot of production costs and introduces a lot more headaches. Audio is relatively simple to produce at a professional level. Rather have an extremely well-done audio drama than a middling video series.

Depends on the production values, but you can't deny if they did HuntTheTruth as a vlog series the same ilk as the Nightfall Second Stories it wouldn't be pretty damn sweet.

Depends on the production values, but you can't deny if they did HuntTheTruth as a vlog series the same ilk as the Nightfall Second Stories it wouldn't be pretty damn sweet.

The Second Stories were pretty tiny in comparison, though. You'd better believe they wouldn't have been able to secure the talent they have for that, and overall production values would take a hit too.

IHaveIce

Banned
Eh, but that adds a lot of production costs and introduces a lot more headaches. Audio is relatively simple to produce at a professional level. Rather have an extremely well-done audio drama than a middling video series.

Opinions I guess, Adio only just doesn't do it for me.

Everybody's different I guess, I can#t get excited at all about all this stuff

jem0208

I don't see how it would really benefit from being a visual blog though. Most of it would just involve looking at Ben talking to a computer...

Opinions I guess, Adio only just doesn't do it for me.

Everybody's different I guess, I can#t get excited at all about all this stuff

Do you care all that much about the lore? I can understand not being interested in it if so.

AlStrong

Reach is the best.

EzraLee4cd0a3588f0d3.jpg

full of win

IHaveIce

Banned
I don't see how it would really benefit from being a visual blog though. Most of it would just involve looking at Ben talking to a computer...

Do you care all that much about the lore? I can understand not being interested in it if so.

Read all books and everything, used to love the Halo lore before the Kilo Five Trilogy and all these comics released.

jem0208

Read all books and everything, used to love the Halo lore before the Kilo Five Trilogy and all these comics released.

Why does the lack of a visual aspect bother you considering you were interested in reading all the books?

Hunt the Truth is basically an episodic audio book.

Production costs would probably go way up, but the format would have to be much different. When they were talking about with the boxing coach (or whatever he was) they could have done flashback type stuff with the voice over. Most of it would have to be redone to fit a visual format

But yea, doing a visual thing would require a lot more resources than a script, voice actors, and special effects sounds.

Where's a good place to jump into Hunt the Truth? Like besides "episode 1"

Episode 0.

:D

Besides that, I'd go with episode 6. Everything up until now has mostly been Ben uncovering the details of the Spartan II program, the new material has only just started showing up. You'd still be better off starting at the start, though. Getting proper introductions to the characters and all that.

daedalius

See... you say this, but House of Wolves drops tomorrow and I'd be willing to be dollars to doughnuts that even amongst HaloGAF regulars more will be playing that this week than any other XB1 offerings. :p

Crucible is still a hot mess though, I'll give you that. But it's the kind of random fun that I'd liken to a game of Super Smash Bros.--you'd like to treat it competitively, but at the end of the day there's too much random bullshit. Much like Smash, be sure to check any notions of "balance" at the door before entering.

By the way Daeddy, you best get that Last Word upgraded ASAP because Last Word in Crucible is...
residentsleeper.png

You guys are right on the money with this. Loved H4's sound design minus just a few things:

"Chirpy" BR--my gun is a starling apparently
Magnum--OG pistol sound used in Reach was more than fine
Warthog Engine--'nuff said

My last word is almost to the last damage bubbles ;)

SaganIsGOAT

I probably love Hunt the Truth because it has a full voice cast. Audio books with a single narrator/single narrator who doesn't change his voice per character are rough to get through for me. His Dark Materials series as an audio book with full voice cast was riveting.

Episode 0.

:D

Besides that, I'd go with episode 6. Everything up until now has mostly been Ben uncovering the details of the Spartan II program, the new material has only just started showing up. You'd still be better off starting at the start, though. Getting proper introductions to the characters and all that.
About how long are each episode?

jem0208

Where's a good place to jump into Hunt the Truth? Like besides "episode 1"

Episode 0 (I'm not even joking, that's actually the first episode). It's definitely worth listening from the start though rather than jumping in somewhere in the middle. It's been building a lot throughout and really helps the impact of the later episodes.

Welcome back btw, again.

About how long are each episode?

About 15 - 20 minutes long usually.

Production costs would probably go way up, but the format would have to be much different. When they were talking about with the boxing coach (or whatever he was) they could have done flashback type stuff with the voice over. Most of it would have to be redone to fit a visual format

But yea, doing a visual thing would require a lot more resources than a script, voice actors, and special effects sounds.

Fair enough, it could work in a visual format as well. That said I really like this format as well, I've never particularly liked stuff like flashbacks.

I don't think they could have managed anywhere near the same level of quality as they have done if they'd gone the visual route though. The budget would have had to be really massive compared.

Episode 0 (I'm not even joking, that's actually the first episode). It's definitely worth listening from the start though rather than jumping in somewhere in the middle. It's been building a lot throughout and really helps the impact of the later episodes.

Welcome back btw, again.

It varies. Around 10-20 minutes, with a couple being longer and a couple being shorter.

Thanks. This all sounds pretty interesting and I hope it comes to some sort of fruition in Halo 5.

Played reach a few nights ago at a friends house while our other friend had to drive back home to get his wii u power cord.

It felt, weird. Love how the Needler got buffed from 2 to 3. Then got a small nerf in 3 to Reach; and then they went crazy with it again going into 4.

So many times when I thought the thing was going to kill me.

Welfare

I swear these Team Slayer players don't even know what they are voting for. They just look at the screen, see Halo 3 in the middle, and go, "Nothing could possibly go wrong."

Orbital is not a good map, and Team Slayer means AR starts. Stop picking it.

Also, why the hell is the voting in Team Slayer the same every time? It should not be H2/A in slot 1, H3 in slot 2, and CE in slot 3 every time. It's stupid. Change it up.

Is the Sword on H2C glitched? More often than not when I hit someone it acts like a normal melee.

I swear these Team Slayer players don't even know what they are voting for. They just look at the screen, see Halo 3 in the middle, and go, "Nothing could possibly go wrong."

Orbital is not a good map, and Team Slayer means AR starts. Stop picking it.

Also, why the hell is the voting in Team Slayer the same every time? It should not be H2/A in slot 1, H3 in slot 2, and CE in slot 3 every time. It's stupid. Change it up.

Is the Sword on H2C glitched? More often than not when I hit someone it acts like a normal melee.

Thats why i think that Team Slayer should be BR/AR starts from the get go. No need for seperate gametypes.

Yeah, I saw that too, it's weird there are only 4 weeks left ;)

E3 here we come!!!

Anyone wanna start placing bets as to what we'll see?

I'll keep it simple: campaign footage for sure, BTB (or whatever they're calling the >4v4 mode now) footage also for sure. Possibly another beta announced, open, much closer to launch; this one's for stress testing rather than design input.

Less likely is Halo Wars 2, but dammit, I want to believe!

Deception

Yeah, I saw that too, it's weird there are only 4 weeks left ;)

E3 here we come!!!

Anyone wanna start placing bets as to what we'll see?
It would amazing if 343 put together a PT style demo for Halo 5 with 2 missions taking place at the same time, on the same planet, but with one perspective being Chief's and the other being Locke's and tie it into the beginning of the full campaign by adding a 1-3 minute cut scene once you finish them both.

A man can dream right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom