• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impala26

I wish I had more of my old N64 games.

If we lived near each other, I'd say you could borrow some of mine. I've got like 20 in my current apartment (the "good" ones) and another 20-30 stored away at my parents' house.

Unlike P.T., Konami won't ever be forcefully recalling any of my massive N64 collection. And I'll be sure to have it for the rest of my days. I never have re-sold a game I've bought and I've got no intentions on starting now--especially as my collection ages and slowly becomes "classics".

It'd be nice to have some colorful games with a light hearted wimsy. Dark Souls does not have wimsy. Just bromance and a hot dragon hybrid.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

wat

The context of the word "hot" in the phrase means everything XD

-Ryn

Banned
If we lived near each other, I'd say you could borrow some of mine. I've got like 20 in my current apartment (the "good" ones) and another 20-30 stored away at my parents' house.

Unlike P.T., Konami won't ever be forcefully recalling any of my massive N64 collection. And I'll be sure to have it for the rest of my days. I never have re-sold a game I've bought and I've got no intentions on starting now--especially as my collection ages and slowly becomes "classics".
The thought is appreciated lol

Sadly most of my original games have been lost to the whims of time. I don't sell my games either though. I bought the game. I'm gonna keep it. Even if it sucks. At least I'll be able to look back and remember how much it sucks by playing it.

#physicalftw
#fuckKonami
#Nomotiontracker

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

wat

The context of the word "hot" in the phrase means everything XD
Bro, do I need to tell you the tail of the lovely lady of the painting?

Her land is such peaceful

Much kind

Wow

RowdyReverb

Do you think Bungie could have made a Destiny-esque game with the Halo IP? How would that have worked? Would that game be better than Destiny?

dwells

Do you think Bungie could have made a Destiny-esque game with the Halo IP? How would that have worked? Would that game be better than Destiny?

I don't see why not. Likely would'v eimproved on the lore and storytelling aspects of Destiny.

The key issue of that game for me is that I find the combat wholly uninteresting and the entire game to be a repetitive grind. That's something that can't be fixed by a new theme. I couldn't get into Borderlands for the same reason.

Impala26

I've thought about this, but maybe not Destiny-esque per se, but my pipe-dream project for the Halo IP is a game where you play as some unnamed/lower-ranking Forerunner around the time or the Foreunner-Flood war, possibly even prior to that. The general theme of the game is less combat focused and more puzzle-solving/survival focused. I'm not going to say it's a survival horror game, but there's so much you could do with the massive backstory of the lore and settings that you could almost do ANYTHING with a game set in that time.

Basically, I really want to see a Halo game set during the epoch of the Foreunner civilization where exploration, puzzle-solving and possibly shifting towards more survival focused towards the end. Let's just call it a Lara Croft/Myst/Half Life/Halo mashup, lol.

Who wouldn't want to explore massive Foreunner facilities or settlements/cities while they were still functional and being utilized?

-Ryn

Banned
I do my best to get a least one shit-post about Konami SOMEWHERE on GAF daily.
:p
Is there a more noble cause?

Freudian Slip?
Double Entendre
;)

Yes

If they made it a spin off series or game taking place during the Forerunner-Human War (the time when space magic was at its most prominent in Halo) it could easily play similar to Destiny while both staying true to Halo as well as being justified within the universe. All kinds of crazy jams were happening in those days.

It would've worked closer to what Destiny was originally portrayed as. Perhaps with a few tweaks such as making the mission structure a more linear and structured campaign with the open world aspects left to the multiplayer/co op side (call it war zone or something).

If it actually pulled off everything it was supposed to then yes. Yes it would be better than Destiny. If it was in the same state as the Destiny we ended up with but more Halo, then it would still be better. Maybe.

Three. Fucking. Times. Luckily the third time didn't kill me or I'd have quit lol.
lol That has never happened to me before. Fascinating...

Who wouldn't want to explore massive Foreunner facilities or settlements/cities while they were still functional and being utilized?
MAH MAN

Set it during the Forerunner period, and you could get away with it. The game would still be shit, though. Destiny's problem isn't the IP; the setting and ideas therein are interesting ones, and there's some very good stories to be told there.

The problem is that they didn't tell a good story there, and they didn't offer up enough variety of content to make up for the...

You know what, nevermind. You guys have heard all this before :p

Tawpgun

Set it during the Forerunner period, and you could get away with it. The game would still be shit, though. Destiny's problem isn't the IP; the setting and ideas therein are interesting ones, and there's some very good stories to be told there.

The problem is that they didn't tell a good story there, and they didn't offer up enough variety of content to make up for the...

You say that, but how do you explain all these filled socks?

It's called Destiny. Like, Destiny is practically what Bungie would have wanted to do with Halo if they hadn't been under Microsoft's control. Halo 2 was originally supposed to be a similarly hyper-ambitious game with 4 or 5 additional missions, jetpacks, sprinting and zero-g sections in multiplayer, etc.

Halo 4 (lol)

GrizzNKev

Banned

I'm sure you will die soon.

RP2AmtF.gif

Impala26

It's called Destiny. Like, Destiny is practically what Bungie would have wanted to do with Halo if they hadn't been under Microsoft's control. Halo 2 was originally supposed to be a similarly hyper-ambitious game with 4 or 5 additional missions, jetpacks, sprinting and zero-g sections in multiplayer, etc.

Halo 4 (lol)

Kinda sorta. Halo 4 was a big step in the direction of what I wanted to see, but true exploration of the "I can get there from here" variety was only really teased at during the first two levels. What I envision is perhaps a bit too ambitious. If you're familiar with the Myst series at all, THAT'S basically more of the influence I'd like to see with a game like this.

The amount of parallels between the Halo and Myst universes is actually quite staggering when you sit down and examine it. I could write a short essay about it, so I'll spare everyone, but I'd be happy to discuss more in detail if people were curious.

Funny you say this because this reddit post was just shared over at Destiny GAF and it offers a really compelling take on the Hive from a lore perspective.

https://m.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/36ekrt/hidden_lore_of_the_hive/

The backstory and lore is there in Destiny, it's just hidden behind so much grime.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I feel bad destroying nubs in halo

I dont feel bad for the ones that populate my teams

Can't wait to be out of the level 1-10 range and into the rank 30-40+

Anyone interested in playing some team slayer with me?

Flu?
Or just a really bad cold?

Good times.
So what do you think of H5 so far dude?

If I recall correctly weren't you banned right before the beta?

I see you brought your old avatar back. Nice.

Halo 5 beta was nice. While I'd rather have the original design for rockets and no sprint, and no ADS. They really don't detract from the game that much. Like the weapons felt good, sound design was great and I want breakout With just plasma pistols.

And with Battlefront forgoing ADS, I hope 343 takes a feather from their book

-Ryn

Banned
1. Use lore from Grimiore Cards
2. Insert it into the actual game
3.????
4. Profit

Sparrow racing
Space ship flight/battles
Truly open world areas

Destiny is saved

You say that, but how do you explain all these filled socks?
I sort of assumed you were starting your own micro-composting business.
dead.gif

Kinda sorta.
I think one if the biggest problems with Halo 4's portrayal of Forerunner architecture was that there didn't seem to be any real function to anything. It was all really cool to look at in certain places but overall it made no sense. Who would live there? If not live then what do these buildings do? What is this mechanism supposed to be and why does it take x amount of buttons to make a door open or a hologram turn on?

I would love to explore Forerunner cities and worlds. Similar to this kind of thing. Just make it have more substance that floating obelisks. The "Wow" factor only does so much.

Some kind of virus. Caught it just before a long weekend trip out of state, so that didn't help my immune system any. But I shall survive.
You'll be punching out Cthulhu before you know it

Halo 5 beta was nice. While I'd rather have the original design for rockets and no sprint, and no ADS. They really don't detract from the game that much. Like the weapons felt good, sound design was great and I want breakout With just plasma pistols.

Breakout with PP would be pretty great.

Mostly, though, I just want them to take the BR off the map.

-Ryn

Banned

People just spraying PP fire everywhere.
I like it.

Not sure if you heard but the original SPNKr rocket launcher will be returning as a legendary weapon. Sprint can be turned off as well so that just leaves ADS (which iirc will not be going away according to Josh, but they are designing some "classic" style weapons to appeal to that). Ultimately I hope we see classic zoom return one day. H6... Beli343

The sound design was most certainly awesome. Wish I could comment on weapon feel but... yeah.

Impala26

1. Use lore from Grimiore Cards
2. Insert it into the actual game
3.????
4. Profit

Sparrow racing
Space ship flight/battles
Truly open world areas

Destiny is saved

I wanna play a modern Star Wars Episode I: Racer god-damn it!

I would love to explore Forerunner cities and worlds. Similar to this kind of thing.

*foams at mouth*

Mostly, though, I just want them to take the BR off the map.

Scruffy: "Seconded."

jem0208

This isn't the salty Ragnarok I remember
;)

I wonder what they're going to do with the plasma pistol's ads. I do find it a bit odd that they're trying to shoe horn in zoom for every single weapon. I understand (and actually like) it's inclusion for ARs and SMGs. However the sword? Just why...

Akai__

You guys are the best. lol

Seriously though... I turn my Xbox One on, check if there's an MCC update and turn it off again. :(

Mr White

Ok, so last night I tried MCC multiplayer. I prefer objective playlists in online shooters, so I jumped right in team objective. Matchmaking was fast and overall experience was great. But fact that you need search for new bunch of players every match is frustrating. Some of them don't care about objective at all, but there is also many people who cooperate and even use voice chat, and I wanted to play with them more, but nope. Really strange design decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom