• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaganIsGOAT

WTF is with the big ass gorilla and those titties

halo-mmorpg-03.jpg

GORGEOUS

614_max.jpg

Akai__

Now that Forge is fixed, has anybody created a 1:1 remake of the Octagon with accompanying 1 second respawn in Halo 3 MCC?

The 1 second respawn was modded, iirc. You'll probably have to ask 343i, if they can port over that gametype or wait until people find a way to create modded gametypes on the Xbox One.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Halo ruined me.

My coworkers are discussing networking and keep saying 'dedicated servers'.

All I can think of is Bonnie Ross and Dan Ayoub.

Karl2177

Now that Forge is fixed, has anybody created a 1:1 remake of the Octagon with accompanying 1 second respawn in Halo 3 MCC?

Now that Forge is fixed I decided I was going to open Halo 3 Forge and MCC H3 Forge at the same time and fix maps that haven't been updated to MM settings. Then I thought to myself, "I can only have 50 content items, it's not worth it."

-Ryn

Banned
Why can't we get ODST firefight with the ODST release? Been gone a while don't know if this has been explained.
To my knowledge the only reason they've stated is that they want to focus on making the ODST campaign work well.

Something about Delta Halo's ancient stone Forerunner architecture speaks to me 😍😍😍
It's beautiful. I love how it looks really ancient but at times, really advanced as well. I don't mind having some places look pristine (after all the sentinels and whatnot still operate things) but it'd be nice to have more aged architecture here and there. Some ruins maybe?

jem0208

What did you both agree on?

I wasn't actually aware of any agreement, but I said I quite liked the look of that cancelled Doom footage. Although it looked nothing like Doom.

I also said that I really liked Doom 3, although that too was nothing like Doom.

I love the original Dooms as well.

dwells

I wasn't actually aware of any agreement, but I said I quite liked the look of that cancelled Doom footage. Although it looked nothing like Doom.

I also said that I really liked Doom 3, although that too was nothing like Doom.

I love the original Dooms as well.
Yeah, I didn't think the leaked footage looked that bad either. It wasn't particularly exciting, but everyone in the thread was getting their panties in a bunch and throwing a fit about it being all "dudebro." 27 seconds of leaked, unfinished footage that served simply to set the atmosphere on Earth, and suddenly everyone knows everything they need to know about the game and that's absolutely horrible and had been ruined. Give me a goddamn break.

Doom 3 was great, even with the original flashlight setup. Not to mention the fact that it was groundbreaking in terms of visuals.

RowdyReverb

Why can't we get ODST firefight with the ODST release? Been gone a while don't know if this has been explained.
I'd guess it's because the extra time they'd need to port firefight would delay ODST until too close to the lead up to H5's launch. Also, pre-E3 seems like a strategic time to release the port to possibly, possibly foster a little goodwill before more of H5 is unveiled, especially if it ends up being a free update for all MCC owners.
Yeah, I didn't think the leaked footage looked that bad either. It wasn't particularly exciting, but everyone in the thread was getting their panties in a bunch and throwing a fit about it being all "dudebro." 27 seconds of leaked, unfinished footage that served simply to set the atmosphere on Earth, and suddenly everyone knows everything they need to know about the game and that's absolutely horrible and had been ruined. Give me a goddamn break.

Doom 3 was great, even with the original flashlight setup. Not to mention the fact that it was groundbreaking in terms of visuals.
I like the idea of a supernatural, demonic modern FPS, but I don't think it would be fair to title that game "Doom" because it would be so far removed from what made Doom, Doom. Could just as well call it Hell on Earth or whatever. It just seemed like the wrong tone for a franchise that's traditionally been about one person alone against hordes of demons and ridiculous odds, not a ragtag band of quasi-military buddies cheering each other on as they battle for Earth together.

jem0208

Yeah, the thread was a bit silly. That footage didn't look bad by any means, like I said, I actually quite like the gritty apocalypse vibe it gave off. The problem was that people were taking that to be an exact representation of how the game would play. Although that "jump to conclusions" attitude is fairly endemic of the gaming community.

As for Doom 3, I can understand why fans of the originals would be upset, it really is nothing like the originals. However as a singular game I thought it was excellent; genuinely scary at points and it just dripped with atmosphere. The guns were so meaty as well. (I even liked the flashlight mechanic as it forced you to choose between being able to see and shooting which just upped the tension). And like you said, it was just gorgeous for the time.

It's beautiful. I love how it looks really ancient but at times, really advanced as well. I don't mind having some places look pristine (after all the sentinels and whatnot still operate things) but it'd be nice to have more aged architecture here and there. Some ruins maybe?

It was a nice touch to have the old Forerunner(?) structures / tablets in the pools of water along the bridges at the start of Regret showing their age by looking more rusty in the Anniversary visuals.

It's also pretty funny that Halo 2 was as linear as it was (development was a mess, I know) despite most of its locations being perfect opportunities to have more open options; I could see an almost Quake / Doom / Marathon sort of setup working where it featured a bunch of interconnecting pathways peppered with secret passages and powerups, etc. That concept art reminded me of that - I could see the opening section to Regret being a lot more interesting if it was more densely loaded with towers that you had to circle around using the catwalks on the perimeters, with more interior sections and maybe even another floor or two. Flying around and shotgunning Covenant trying to defend their encampments while being distracted by the wealth of Forerunner artifacts, etc.

jelly

It never had matchmaking which is probably a big hurdle but I suppose solo/local play could have been nice but not sure if there is enough interest for just one player. Shame, it's was so much better than Reach Firefight. Also, ODST was surely last minute so I doubt they even considered doing anything major with it in the time frame like matchmaking.

Fuchsdh

It never had matchmaking which is probably a big hurdle but I suppose solo/local play could have been nice but not sure if there is enough interest for just one player. Shame, it's was so much better than Reach Firefight. Also, ODST was surely last minute so I doubt they even considered doing anything major with it in the time frame like matchmaking.

Well, the root of all their troubles began when they inflated their scope beyond just doing H2A. I think while disappointing, it's wise to keep things grounded and simple at this point.

It had online co-op didn't it? I really need to play ODST again

Online coop, yes; online matchmaking, no.

It had online co-op didn't it? I really need to play ODST again

jelly

Well, the root of all their troubles began when they inflated their scope beyond just doing H2A. I think while disappointing, it's wise to keep things grounded and simple at this point.

Halo 2 is a bit underwhelming though. They needed MCC to get the hype and sales. If they couldn't deliver MCC in full, should have drip feed the content starting with Halo CEA, Halo 2A then add the others later at no extra cost but nothing stops the Halo 5 train. You were getting MCC then no matter what to sell Xbox Ones and Live subs.

Now that Forge is fixed I decided I was going to open Halo 3 Forge and MCC H3 Forge at the same time and fix maps that haven't been updated to MM settings. Then I thought to myself, "I can only have 50 content items, it's not worth it."

This is 2015, how did 343 think a content cap was a good idea anyway? Bungie already ditched the cap in 2010 with Reach.

Anyone else realised that the H2 Anniversary Hornet is as broken as the Reach Banshee? The rockets are as powerful as a banshee bomb and the turret is near Halo 3 Hog levels of evisceration. In addition to this, not sure if modded controllers are being used or??? But A few times I've seen them spasmodically twitching all over the place essentially making them invulnerable to gun fire. Only the rockets can reasonably take it out and they're in the centre of the vast, flat dish of soil that is Bloodline and they're inaccessible if the Hornet pilot is competent.

Not really sure why I even bother to bring it up here because 343 are so busy patching the macro that in-game balance issues will likely never see remedial treatment. A full blooded Hornet should never be in that map anyway. The map should never have been remade full stop.

Madness

Only was able to play Bloodline maybe a handful of times so I can't even agree if it's broken or not. Haven't touched MCC since March, and even then was just to see if the update worked. Such a waste.

RowdyReverb

Anyone else realised that the H2 Anniversary Hornet is as broken as the Reach Banshee? The rockets are as powerful as a banshee bomb and the turret is near Halo 3 Hog levels of evisceration. In addition to this, not sure if modded controllers are being used or??? But A few times I've seen them spasmodically twitching all over the place essentially making them invulnerable to gun fire. Only the rockets can reasonably take it out and they're in the centre of the vast, flat dish of soil that is Bloodline and they're inaccessible if the Hornet pilot is competent.

Not really sure why I even bother to bring it up here because 343 are so busy patching the macro that in-game balance issues will likely never see remedial treatment. A full blooded Hornet should never be in that map anyway. The map should never have been remade full stop.
Its weapons are powerful, but I think it's balanced by its weak defense. If you get a few players firing BRs at it or a couple of players in a Warthog, it'll go down fairly quickly because the pilot can be directly damaged.

I'm not sure how to account for the erratic movements you saw though. I haven't seen that before. Did it look glitchy like lag or something, or were they just constantly adjusting their position? Also, I don't think I've played against any players who were exceptionally great at piloting the thing, so that could be part of why it hasn't frustrated me.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Why must the Internet gods taunt me!!?

Witcher 3 downloading, yet internet decided to become dog shit.

FyreWulff

I think it has to do with Halo 3 having the 100 item content limit.

You'd think they would have gotten rid of that from the backend, though.

AFIAK with Halo 3, it was a RAM and user experience thing. The game has to enumerate all those content items and decrypt them/read them in, so they seemingly set it at 100 for the minimum amount of RAM usage and to keep people from having to wait 3 minutes to start the game. This was also when they didn't expect Forge to be a Thing so they probably figured people wouldn't have many content items anyway.

With Reach (and 4) post Forge explosion, there's still an upper limit because finite RAM (I think it's 3000 items), but they probably figured that people that wanted a shit ton of content items didn't mine waiting for the game to load them in at the start of each session. I have so many things in Reach it takes 2 minutes from Select Map -> being able to select. But I'm fine with that.

And I've already posted my theory on why they don't let you save temp films, either.

Karl2177

You'd think they would have gotten rid of that from the backend, though.

AFIAK with Halo 3, it was a RAM and user experience thing. The game has to enumerate all those content items and decrypt them/read them in, so they seemingly set it at 100 for the minimum amount of RAM usage and to keep people from having to wait 3 minutes to start the game. This was also when they didn't expect Forge to be a Thing so they probably figured people wouldn't have many content items anyway.

With Reach (and 4) post Forge explosion, there's still an upper limit because finite RAM (I think it's 3000 items), but they probably figured that people that wanted a shit ton of content items didn't mine waiting for the game to load them in at the start of each session. I have so many things in Reach it takes 2 minutes from Select Map -> being able to select. But I'm fine with that.

And I've already posted my theory on why they don't let you save temp films, either.

There's a lot of "You'd think"s with the Master Chief Collection.

After being put in a game with two AFK players on Warlord, it was nice to be able to get a Perfection and a Steaktacular the next game.

dwells

I want to play ODST, but I really would've preferred that they put the resources into fixing the content that's already out - I've searched BTB twice tonight, and after long waits it crashed during the map loading screen for both games.

EDIT: Let's make that three times in a row. It's not just me, either - saw some of the same names, so they're having it too. Come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom