• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
They keep things clean?
FHbrDrV.png

OneHand.png

HTupolev

hm... I suppose for the sake of 60fps, it'd be simpler to scale the enemy stats rather than #s, or was that what you were thinking?
Run a networked game simulation with the low-number major enemies. Run the masses of smaller enemies client-side so that each player has their own mobs to deal with (that don't appear for or interact with other players), and dynamically balance their allocation across the party to keep players rubberbanded together.

Then just hope that it takes some time before anyone notices.

AlStrong

Run a networked game simulation with the low-number major enemies. Run the masses of smaller enemies client-side so that each player has their own mobs to deal with (that don't appear for or interact with other players), and dynamically balance their allocation across the party to keep players rubberbanded together.

Then just hope that it takes some time before anyone notices.

Cloud power!

Also, too much rubber. ಠ_ಠ
#KeepItClean

Isn't the red Elite seen in the intro with Locke the shipmaster? I'm pretty sure it's the same voice actor.

The red/silver one is no half-jaw. ;..

Madness

Man, they're really milking the shit out of MCC bundles now. Why couldn't this be a bundle since the start? I had to buy the Sunset bundle just to get the white console/controller, and now less than 6 months later it's here.

The controller itself is the best part. I barely play but I'm worried that eventually it'll start to yellow or something.

m23

Man, they're really milking the shit out of MCC bundles now. Why couldn't this be a bundle since the start? I had to buy the Sunset bundle just to get the white console/controller, and now less than 6 months later it's here.

The controller itself is the best part. I barely play but I'm worried that eventually it'll start to yellow or something.

At least you got a better game with the Sunset bundle.

Obscured

Despite its faults, Bungie is doing work.

Halo could learn a lot from raid and prison of elders mechanics. Make whatever co-op mode they have other than campaign a lot more interesting than just lite story missions.

Toying the the idea of having loot in a Halo game. Rewarding you with cosmetic items. It's just a great way to keep people playing. You could even make it so certain playlists will only drop certain items (Yo I need 3 more for Team Objective, really want that Tashi player card) Would be an interesting way to incentivize the population into the less popular playlists. Maybe not loot, but I love the idea of some incentive to make people hop off SWAT and Team Slayer to play some objective.

Halo could also have a Trials of Osiris event. A multiplayer event that pops up every so often. Basically a tournament. You pick some map and gametype and you need to get this many wins without losing this many times on a single ticket. If you beat it you get an exclusive prize for the event. Tie it into the lore with having it be a tournament competition among Spartan's on the Infinity.

Halo 2 and Halo 3 both had tournament playlists to an extent that appeared for a limited time.

I'll play Halo just for playing Halo, because it's my favorite PvP shooter. But it would be cool if there was something happening in the game that pulled me and other friends in to play. (Spartan Tourney this weekend, lets dong / Special playlist this week etc.)

Sounds great. Even when Destiny is feeling grind-y for me I have a hard time not going back because there is always something to get leveled up or a piece of armor or weapon that I'm looking for. I think there are many ways they can improve, but that feeling like I have something uncompleted to do keeps me coming back. Also the moment to moment feel is great or else I would have given it up.

Cosmetic items are a good way to go about it. I'm hoping the unlocking ship has sailed, it has to feel like extra content, not locked away content. Giving incentives for people to try out other parts of the game (and giving them some clue how to go about how to properly play those parts) would be great.

One of the other reasons I keep going back to Destiny is that so much is available to matchmaking. I'm understand the reasons they have locked some of it out of matchmaking and the way this last update is approached seems a good compromise. I'm hopeful for lots of matchmaking options for all of Halo 5's game modes.

RowdyReverb

Perhaps they figured people would still be interested in playing old Halo games 6 months after MCC launched, but might not be so hot on playing a new title 6 months after launch, so they bundled the new stuff in the fall and waited until those bundles lost steam to bundle MCC.
They could keep bundling MCC for the next year and it would still look appealing because the games are old enough to be new again and it gives people a lot of content to play on their new console out of the box
(after a giant download)
. Plus, it reminds old fans that they still like the Halo franchise while potentially introducing new young players to MS's biggest Xbox franchise. Every XB1 sold should just include the game from here on out for that reason IMO. Hell, maybe the H5:G bundle will throw it in as a bonus; I doubt it would make much of an impact on H5's player base.

Perhaps they figured people would still be interested in playing old Halo games 6 months after MCC launched, but might not be so hot on playing a new title 6 months after launch, so they bundled the new stuff in the fall and waited until those bundles lost steam to bundle MCC.
They could keep bundling MCC for the next year and it would still look appealing because the games are old enough to be new again and it gives people a lot of content to play on their new console out of the box
(after a giant download)
. Plus, it reminds old fans that they still like the Halo franchise while potentially introducing new young players to MS's biggest Xbox franchise. Every XB1 sold should just include the game from here on out for that reason IMO. Hell, maybe the H5:G bundle will throw it in as a bonus; I doubt it would make much of an impact on H5's player base.

At that point just make the MCC a launch pad for All of the halo games

jem0208

Despite its faults, Bungie is doing work.

Halo could learn a lot from raid and prison of elders mechanics. Make whatever co-op mode they have other than campaign a lot more interesting than just lite story missions.

Toying the the idea of having loot in a Halo game. Rewarding you with cosmetic items. It's just a great way to keep people playing. You could even make it so certain playlists will only drop certain items (Yo I need 3 more for Team Objective, really want that Tashi player card) Would be an interesting way to incentivize the population into the less popular playlists. Maybe not loot, but I love the idea of some incentive to make people hop off SWAT and Team Slayer to play some objective.

Halo could also have a Trials of Osiris event. A multiplayer event that pops up every so often. Basically a tournament. You pick some map and gametype and you need to get this many wins without losing this many times on a single ticket. If you beat it you get an exclusive prize for the event. Tie it into the lore with having it be a tournament competition among Spartan's on the Infinity.

Halo 2 and Halo 3 both had tournament playlists to an extent that appeared for a limited time.

I'll play Halo just for playing Halo, because it's my favorite PvP shooter. But it would be cool if there was something happening in the game that pulled me and other friends in to play. (Spartan Tourney this weekend, lets dong / Special playlist this week etc.)

Special playlists? Yes, definitely. Personally I'd love to see weekend tournaments which could form a monthly or quarterly league. The top players at the end of the league could receive a special armour piece or something cool. If they really wanted to go all out they could offer some form of monetary award for the top players at the end of the league. Maybe XBL credit or something?

I think that would be amazing for retaining the player base.

I think loot on the other hand is a terrible idea. I hate RNG loot systems, just loathe them. Personally I'd like to Reach sort of system return where you earn credits which can be spent on cosmetic items.

Maybe they could modify the commendation system and reward special armour pieces instead? For example you could have "Complete 100 matches in the Objective playlist" and you would receive this specific helmet. That way you could avoid the rage inducing RNG system.

I think to work they'd have to constantly be adding new armour and new commendations though.

CliQ

I would actually like to see them cut firefight and extend the campaign a couple of levels. Then add in some really good campaign gametypes.

One gametypes I'll call "follow the leader" would be where the person in first place on scoring no longer can recharge shields unless he melees. Or maybe he moves at 50% speed. Something to that effect.

Or another gametype could where it's teams of two and you give each player an icon above there head and whoever can stay alive the longest wins the game for that level.

Or maybe the player with the icon can only score points for his team and he gets a multiplier the long her stays alive. So one teammate plays protection while the other tries to get the higher score.Friendly fire off of course.

I just thought of another cool one. All four players carry a skull and whoever has the highest points at the end wins.

You get the idea. Just thinking outside the box.

Its weapons are powerful, but I think it's balanced by its weak defense. If you get a few players firing BRs at it or a couple of players in a Warthog, it'll go down fairly quickly because the pilot can be directly damaged.

I'm not sure how to account for the erratic movements you saw though. I haven't seen that before. Did it look glitchy like lag or something, or were they just constantly adjusting their position? Also, I don't think I've played against any players who were exceptionally great at piloting the thing, so that could be part of why it hasn't frustrated me.

The thing goes down to small arms, let alone heavies, fast.

Here's the video of the Hornet moving like the first boss from House of the Dead 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMB7Q908kjY

Number of problems with the vehicle in H2 Anniversary

1) The vehicle was originally designed around a sandbox featuring the laser (and plasma pistol EMP, missile pod, competent turrets, power drain). Rockets are the only feasible option to take out a Hornet behaving like the one in the video. Reach had the laser and EMP capable Grenade Launcher to combat the Falcon.

2) The vehicle was originally designed to move around at a moderate pace with predictable movement. When it moves as in the video there are frames of invincibility and the aiming magnetism is thwarted.

3) Its incarnation in Anniversary is another case of remaking mistakes Bungie had already corrected or admitted (SMG starts in H2 anyone?). Bungie realised early on in Halo 3 that the Hornet was risibly overpowered and yanked it from online multi, leaving it for Forge sessions only. When they finally introduced it into MM with the Legendary map pack they tuned the turret power right down and disabled the rockets entirely. 343 learns nothing from this and dumps two of them in a vast open field with full turret and rocket capabilities plus new spasmodic movement options.

Oh and AR starts are still wrecking whole sessions of playtime in the MCC. AR start One Flag on Last Resort for four rounds anybody? They appear waaaaaaay too much in Team Objective when they shouldn't exist there in the first place (even Bungie realises obj needed precision starts). Halo 3 playlist still has all OBJ types as AR starts with no BR option available. Assault and KOTH BTB H3 are still AR start.

Here's the video of the Hornet moving like the first boss from House of the Dead 2:

1) The vehicle was originally designed around a sandbox featuring the laser (and plasma pistol EMP, missile pod, competent turrets, power drain). Rockets are the only feasible option to take out a Hornet behaving like the one in the video. Reach had the laser and EMP capable Grenade Launcher to combat the Falcon.

2) The vehicle was originally designed to move around at a moderate pace with predictable movement. When it moves as in the video there are frames of invincibility and the aiming magnetism is thwarted.

3) Its incarnation in Anniversary is another case of remaking mistakes Bungie had already corrected or admitted (SMG starts in H2 anyone?). Bungie realised early on in Halo 3 that the Hornet was risibly overpowered and yanked it from online multi, leaving it for Forge sessions only. When they finally introduced it into MM with the Legendary map pack they tuned the turret power right down and disabled the rockets entirely. 343 learns nothing from this and dumps two of them in a vast open field with full turret and rocket capabilities plus new spasmodic movement options.

Oh and AR starts are still wrecking whole sessions of playtime in the MCC. AR start One Flag on Last Resort for four rounds anybody? They appear waaaaaaay too much in Team Objective when they shouldn't exist there in the first place (even Bungie realises obj needed precision starts). Halo 3 playlist still has all OBJ types as AR starts with no BR option available. Assault and KOTH BTB H3 are still AR start.
Did he mod the hornet to maneuver it that way? It looks insanely op.

singhr1

The guy got a 30 + kill perfection that game. Don't think it's modding, I've seen it happen in several separate games.

So Rockets, Sniper, and BR couldn't take him out? What? That's definitely not my experience. Those are glass cannons and pretty slow to me. Sort of strong but pretty easily destroyed. Can you replicate that movement speed in customs?

jem0208

Absolutely shameful that they continue to promote and sell a broken product like this.
Is it really still broken?

I mean it's certainly not perfect, there is still a massive list of bugs which need sorting however the major issues, matchmaking and parties, have been fixed for the majority of people.

The complaints I see most now are mostly AR starts related.

I mean it's certainly not perfect, there is still a massive list of bugs which need sorting however the major issues, matchmaking and parties, have been fixed for the majority of people.

With AR and SMG starts it's basically still launch-day broken.

i don't mind either

In comparison to every console Halo that's launched with online matchmaking, yes it's still broken. Still seeing uneven teams regularly (had a 3v4 earlier, numerous 6v7's in BTB). Maps failing to load happens every single play session in BTB. Intermittently there'll be unnaturally long search times in BTB. The other day me and my friend searched H3 together; we ended up in seperate games despite neither of us backing out.

The launch was so bad that these problems now seem minor. Put them into any other Halo game throughout the ages, though, and they'd be scrambling, emergency patch level problems. Funny how expectations have been systematically lowered over the years.

RowdyReverb

I would guess that the player is using a control scheme that lets them rapidly alternate the ascend and descend buttons while piloting. It is definitely OP if they're able to do it that fast. It seems much more maneuverable than the one in H3. You're right, I doubt you could take it out with anything but a sneaky rocket when he's not looking, and getting to the rockets makes you Hornet fodder. You can PP vehicles in H2A though, right? I believe a PP spawns in the base, but I'm not 100%. That might be the only way to counter that behavior, aside from using the EMP in the base if the pilot is dumb enough to hang out over there.

I would guess that the player is using a control scheme that lets them rapidly alternate the ascend and descend buttons while piloting. It is definitely OP if they're able to do it that fast. It seems much more maneuverable than the one in H3. You're right, I doubt you could take it out with anything but a sneaky rocket when he's not looking, and getting to the rockets makes you Hornet fodder. You can PP vehicles in H2A though, right? I believe a PP spawns in the base, but I'm not 100%. That might be the only way to counter that behavior, aside from using the EMP in the base if the pilot is dumb enough to hang out over there.

Not 100% sure but I don't think PP has EMP in Anniversary. Could definitely be something in the control scheme theory. i wouldn't shed a tear if they deleted the Hornet in Forge like they did the Scorpion before launch.

Everyone should watch this too

http://youtu.be/j7qjyUF2kPY

Holy shit. Honestly, this is so impressive that I never want to play Halo again. What's the point? I got sick to my stomach, I felt sad for the people he was just carelessly sniping.

That's it: I swear off Halo forever. Nothing but awkwardly named Japanese grocery store simulators for me. Just, like, Coupon Veggie Indomitable 3: Kikimo Dances. Or whatever dumb name.

IronWarrior

Neo Member
Why are those box of tissues suspiciously close to your PC?

WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THEM?!

To keep it clean when I blow my
nose

Swa that it was Halo 2 and expected to see ezmode aim assist snipes, but wow that is awesome. Makes me hope that for Halo 5 they go back to a faster zoom in for the sniper, I always felt a little jarred by the zoom during the beta.

I normally lurk in HaloGaf, but I just wanted to share with you guys that I just got the last achievement in The Master Chief Collection! Damn shame with all the issues it has had, and still has, but I had a ton of fun doing it all! :)

m23

I normally lurk in HaloGaf, but I just wanted to share with you guys that I just got the last achievement in The Master Chief Collection! Damn shame with all the issues it has had, and still has, but I had a ton of fun doing it all! :)

How is that even possible? I never even thought about attempting that lol.

How is that even possible? I never even thought about attempting that lol.

I just love Halo, got all of the achievements in the main games! The speed running achievements were a blast, some of the new multiplayer ones were just terrible though, especially the Killjoys >.>

dwells

Last night I searched BTB three times, each time took a few minutes to get a game, and each time the game crashed during the map load. The fourth game I actually got a match, except with uneven teams.

Games with even teams that don't end early or lag horribly make up maybe 10% of my experience overall. Of those, maybe a quarter of them are actually competitive and with a decent gametype. The ranking system not working right certainly doesn't help.

So yeah, game is still pretty broken in my book.

I, uh...

wow.

Bastos

First time playing Halo Multiplayer. God, I suck. My aim is all over the place.

I'll try beating all Halos before jumping to MP, maybe I can get used to the sensitivity, etc.

Mix

I'd like to apologize, I didn't believe you so I did a little digging:

Congratulations my friend, not many people go in and make it out.

RowdyReverb

That is hardcore. What's next for you then? Waiting for ODST to add another 1000 to the total?

Ghazi

Could someone please tell the story behind this video, preferably in a very dramatic fashion and starting with the phrase, "Gather round"
Also use the phrase, "You must understand, it was a different time"
I don't think we know the story, just that the video is goofy as hell. Reminds me of that zanzibar/last resort leak for H3 with weird rap music playing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom