• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to apologize, I didn't believe you so I did a little digging:

Congratulations my friend, not many people go in and make it out.

Hahaha no offense taken! It's been my main game on my Xbox since it came out. Not sure what I'll do in my freetime now, probably grind some Halo 2 classic multiplayer!

BlackJet

OT but HOLY SHIT Lollipop on my s5 is terrible. Who the fuck is responsible for this ugly os?

Anyway, it's kinda funny how we all put the cover art pieces together and freaked out about the forerunner construct being important, even though H2 anniversarys intro already pointed it out.

Welfare

I wonder what everyone here's reaction to this was when they first saw it.

I remember some people saying "Lol Reach gameplay". Not here I think, but Waypoint and Bungie.

I sat in my chair in wonder and thought, "What? No, it can't be. These people gave us No Bloom! How could they do this?!"

<3

Destiny's new expansion is fun...

Actually, go get the witcher

I have been really looking into maybe picking that up. May wait a little bit for some patches to iron some things out, but I have heard great things about it!

ODST will supposedly be out soon anyway, so I am sure I wont be gone too long! Hah

Nowise10

I have 7 achievements left in MCC.

PLEASE HELP ME BOOST THE ENVIRONMENTALIST ACHIEVEMENTS. SOMEONE. Its not fucking possible to get 100 of those medals without playing 1000 matches of Lockdown.

I normally lurk in HaloGaf, but I just wanted to share with you guys that I just got the last achievement in The Master Chief Collection! Damn shame with all the issues it has had, and still has, but I had a ton of fun doing it all! :)

Congrats! I'm currently sitting at 4795/5000 with 15 achievements left. Mainly the tedious multiplayer ones.

So is MM still messed up? I searched for like 10 minutes last night in a couple playlist and didn't get a single match.

I had no issues playing before the most recent patch.

What is going on?

RowdyReverb

So is MM still messed up? I searched for like 10 minutes last night in a couple playlist and didn't get a single match.

What is going on?
It's a weeknight and Witcher 3 just came out, so maybe population is low? It is the first new game to come out in a while, so I'll bet a good number of people jumped on it day one

What is going on?

Do you have the Wireless Display app? I dunno if this is still a thing but apparently just having it was breaking MCC matchmaking somehow.

IHaveIce

Banned
Can't believe I just saw a match picked with High Ground over Lockout.

How does that happen?

maps are secondary. let us say High ground was BR, Lockout SMG, I would never vote for SMG starts.

I ac tually wouldn't vote because it was Lockout, I am one of those people who think Lockout isn't even that good

jem0208

Last night I searched BTB three times, each time took a few minutes to get a game, and each time the game crashed during the map load. The fourth game I actually got a match, except with uneven teams.

Games with even teams that don't end early or lag horribly make up maybe 10% of my experience overall. Of those, maybe a quarter of them are actually competitive and with a decent gametype. The ranking system not working right certainly doesn't help.

So yeah, game is still pretty broken in my book.

I, uh...

wow.

Seems like you're fairly unlucky then. My experience is 90% fine now. I get the odd map failing to load and the odd laggy game but they're pretty infrequent now. I generally have fairly close games as well. The ranking system is working fine... what issues are you having with it?

maps are secondary. let us say High ground was BR, Lockout SMG, I would never vote for SMG starts.

I ac tually wouldn't vote because it was Lockout, I am one of those people who think Lockout isn't even that good

Lockout is stalemate central.

dwells

Seems like you're fairly unlucky then. My experience is 90% fine now. I get the odd map failing to load and the odd laggy game but they're pretty infrequent now. I generally have fairly close games as well. The ranking system is working fine... what issues are you having with it?
Leveling up is inconsistent, and it seems like it's impossible to lose a rank, which makes them pretty much meaningless for skill matching.

Bastos

Good luck with that.
LOL yeah, yesterday was the first time I could play Halo MP for more than 15mins, I was just going to test it because I just got a XBO, I was anxious to play something and always wanted to play Halo seriously. I was planning to sleep 00:00, stopped playing 02:00 even though I still suck and got my ass kicked.

Now I understand why this game is loved so much.

I suck though, and that Plasma + BR combo is bullshit,sorry. lol

jem0208

Leveling up is inconsistent, and it seems like it's impossible to lose a rank, which makes them pretty much meaningless for skill matching.

I've not noticed any inconsistency, although I'm not entirely sure of the underlying mechanics so to be fair I wouldn't know if it was being inconsistent.

I have 100% gone down in rank though so that's just not true.

LOL yeah, yesterday was the first time I could play Halo MP for more than 15mins, I was just going to test it because I just got a XBO, I was anxious to play something and always wanted to play Halo seriously. I was planning to sleep 00:00, stopped playing 02:00 even though I still suck and got my ass kicked.

Pretty sure he was talking about The Witcher 3... Although I know that Halo feel too well.

Which of the Halos were you playing?

I normally lurk in HaloGaf, but I just wanted to share with you guys that I just got the last achievement in The Master Chief Collection! Damn shame with all the issues it has had, and still has, but I had a ton of fun doing it all! :)

Wow. Respect. Real Halo player right here ^^

I want to do this eventually, but I need to make sure I have enough spare controllers for the SLASO cheevos ;)

I doubt I can, but I'll get to it some day.

Congrats on the 100%. You rock.

SaganIsGOAT

I can not wait to see how Hunters and the other AI behave now that we can thrust all the time in Campaign. Battling hunters during the Composer level with Thruster pack was awesome.

Bastos

Pretty sure he was talking about The Witcher 3... Although I know that Halo feel too well.

Which of the Halos were you playing?
Oh lol, didn't notice, read too fast.

I played mostly Halo 2, got a match of Halo 3, lost miserably and a Halo 4 CTF match. I misses CTF so much. There was a map of H2 that has a huge wheel or whatever that is in the middle of the map, Zanzibar I think. That was the only map I could do anything because I found a Sniper Rifle and it's sooooo good.

Loved this game, damn.

dwells

I've not noticed any inconsistency, although I'm not entirely sure of the underlying mechanics so to be fair I wouldn't know if it was being inconsistent.

I have 100% gone down in rank though so that's just not true.
Halo 2's ranking system was a very consistent and easily calculated system and worked well. This one's a grab bag of how many wins it'll take to go up.

As for going down in rank, dashboarding or powering off the system during the game or at the lobby definitely has no effect on rank. Quitting doesn't seem to have an effect either. Actually losing seems to increase the number of wins to level up, but I'm yet to go down a rank, despite strings of five or more losses and quits in a row.

AlStrong

please be more aggressive, please be more aggressive....

Wonder if they could try having hunters with different weapons, just for variety or even to just complement one another in each Hunter pairing. The classic fuel rod is just too limiting for them because of the minimum safe distance for firing them, and... it's getting a bit old.

1. Fuel Rod shell (classic)
  2. Fuel Rod beam (ala H2)
  3. rapid fire, less explosive ammo?
  4. gauss-like (hit-scan) with charge-up delay?
  5. return of the plasma launcher?
  6. dual wielding shields w/thruster! (that would be kinda scary).

Haruko

I had a Big Team Battle vote last night where King of the Hill on Headlong was the first choice.

I wanted to try it out as I've never gotten that combo before.

But everyone voted for Big Team Slayer on a Halo 4 map. :(

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

Well I was referring to The Witcher 3.

These days you'd be lucky to even get 30 minutes of a Halo match in without errors or some bullshit going on.

Fuchsdh

Wonder if they could try having hunters with different weapons, just for variety or even to just complement one another in each Hunter pairing. The classic fuel rod is just too limiting for them because of the minimum safe distance for firing them, and... it's getting a bit old.

1. Fuel Rod shell (classic)
  2. Fuel Rod beam (ala H2)
  3. rapid fire, less explosive ammo?
  4. gauss-like (hit-scan) with charge-up delay?
  5. return of the plasma launcher?
  6. dual wielding shields w/thruster! (that would be kinda scary).

Well, ODST had both beam and bomb Hunters. I dunno if more weapons makes them more interesting, but I think it would be cool if they were more proactive, especially in their responses to what weapons you bring to bear on them—why would they sit sit and let you blast them with rockets?

Haruko

Hey Frankie, is there any chance the top TWO teams in #HuntTheSignal can get their faces into Halo 5?

Just asking; no real reason...

Figured it was worth a shot. First place team are friends of ours :p

Also, AFAIK, 3rd place is still open, or at least unclaimed publicly...

AlStrong

Well, ODST had both beam and bomb Hunters. I dunno if more weapons makes them more interesting, but I think it would be cool if they were more proactive, especially in their responses to what weapons you bring to bear on them&#8212;why would they sit sit and let you blast them with rockets?

Yeah, so I think part of the reason why they just sit there blindly is because the AI is confused whether to fire (enough distance) or to lunge/run forward... unless the AI really is that stupid. Giving them different weapons can get around that issue, or perhaps they could just tweak the explosive range of the FRG or when the AI should fire (the prometheans almost never gave a shit when firing the incinerator cannon at close range).

But at this point I just don't see why they can't have other weapons, like the plasma launcher (another heavy weapon) that would help mitigate their slow turning ability by giving them homing newb-fire.

HTupolev

I'd be more inclined to simplify their behaviors to something more Halo 1-like, vulnerable when isolated but defended from one direction and capable of lobbing well-telegraphed slow projectiles. Combine them with other Covenant and take advantage of the possibilities for keeping players on their feet.

A few different weapon options might work, but trying to make them "interesting" by themselves is a mess that's only lead to clumsy hunter fights with bullshit feedback.

AlStrong

I'd be more inclined to simplify their behaviors to something more Halo 1-like, vulnerable when isolated but defended from one direction and capable of lobbing well-telegraphed slow projectiles. Combine them with other Covenant and take advantage of the possibilities for keeping players on their feet.
I always liked that bit in FoR where it was implied the Hunters just don't g.a.f. about others and trampled over some jackals (on Coral? planet with the crystal map thing).

So maybe... have the grunts/jackals etc get close enough to serve as distractions, and then hunters fire away? >:D

edit: Would be pretty nifty if they could integrate the jackal's diamond shield formation from the E3 2003 demo

if (jackals>3 && within_grouping_distance)
{
keepFiringAssholes();
diamondShield();
shieldStrength = lolMaximus;
}

:3

A few different weapon options might work, but trying to make them "interesting" by themselves is a mess that's only lead to clumsy hunter fights with bullshit feedback.

Gotta try. :p It'd need some iterating/testing - I'd be curious to see what the bungie AI would do if the weapons were swapped. Plasma Launcher beeps + faster loading/tracking for the Hunter. :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom