• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

jem0208

Crysis PC allowed Servers with Controller users only. Sadly I don't remember many people using it.

Windows 10 WinRT API is sandboxed so I would imagine its harder to play illegitimately. Microsoft could easily lock out M/KB users from Cross-Platform multiplayer access.

The other issue I'm thinking of is PC players playing at 4k 120FPS
lol.
They see a lot more pixels and have a better response time than console players.

That's the problem. The PC population would be much smaller if they forced controllers. One of the biggest draws of the PC is that aiming with a mouse if just so much more accurate and responsive.

Personally though, I don't think Halo 5 would work as well on the PC without some pretty serious changes. It's entirely designed with controllers in mind and it shows. Not that that is a bad thing in any way.

Lazaro

Don't forget potential FoV differences.

That too. Especially with the rise of 21:9 ASPECT RATIO monitors.

That's the problem. The PC population would be much smaller if they forced controllers. One of the biggest draws of the PC is that aiming with a mouse if just so much more accurate and responsive.

Personally though, I don't think Halo 5 would work as well on the PC without some pretty serious changes. It's entirely designed with controllers in mind and it shows. Not that that is a bad thing in any way.

I agree with everything you said. But Halo 1 sold quite well on PC despite the Gameplay and Design Philosophies being designed around Controllers. First Person Shooters generally translate great between KB/M and Controller anyway.

Most PC users from what I noticed, couldn't give a shit about gameplay from a Console Port as long as the port was made in love; like optimized performance and expansive settings and such. They know what to expect from the game because of Social Media and review scores an such. Halo 2 Vista sold poorly because of buggy integrated graphics support and poor GFWL Client support.

Like I said, the technology in Windows 10 is much more secure than a normal desktop program. If Halo 5 has Cross-Platform support Microosft could easily lock out KB/M users from Cross-Platform play. I could imagine in a situation If you want to play with your Console friends from your PC you will need to connect a controller. Dedicated Xbox Servers can identify users and their control schemes similar to what Crysis servers did.

And also there are a lot more PC Gamers playing with controllers nowadays anyway. Which is what I think Microsoft has been trying to standardise on PC for ages.

RowdyReverb

Sell a balls out Forge Windows version separately that has game search/toggles linked to the community cartographer program/process.
This is an awesome idea. PC Forge would need to be almost Sims-like to keep system requirements low enough for just about anybody with a PC to contribute (or make it cloud-based?), and the maps could be quickly tested on the user's XB1. Could even have a stripped-down simplified version for tablets for sketching out a map. There could be so many great maps if they put the tools in as many hands as possible.

Danny 117

As a side note I'm only noticing now that in Halo 3 Johnson and Miranda were going to commit suicide to prevent Truth lighting the rings. I always heard it as "Me, and you, now"...implying that they would light the rings together. Totally the wrong impression haha.

Fuchsdh

As a side note I'm only noticing now that in Halo 3 Johnson and Miranda were going to commit suicide to prevent Truth lighting the rings. I always heard it as "Me, and you, now"...implying that they would light the rings together. Totally the wrong impression haha.

Why Miranda takes so damn long to do anything always bothered me, though—and really, you didn't bring a few Marines as backup on your rescue? While she wasn't my favorite character, I do think she got tossed out rather unfairly.

Not sure how interested you are in these but hey, here's some reasons:

- Sunset Overdrive
- Destiny (It's actually really good...)
- Forza Horizon 2 (probably my favourite game of last year)
- Killer Instinct
- EA Access (Not really a game but it is amazing value, $30 gets you BF4, Plants vs Zombies, NFS Rivals, Peggle 2 and a bunch of sports games like FIFA 15 for a year)

- Rise of the Tomb Raider
- Quantum Break
- Scalebound
- Crackdown
- Forza 6
- GOW Remake and the new game by Black Tusk

I know this will probably get some flack but the MCC is genuinely fun to play now. Most games I get are smooth, matchmaking is pretty quick, skill matching actually works (in the ranked playlists at least), and now they're putting out a playlist update that makes AR/SMG starts far less likely to happen and objective much more likely.

Also the H5 beta was so good. If you genuinely aren't interested in anything else, why not just keep an X1 till H5 comes out and see what you think? If it doesn't live up to it sell the Xbox then.

Oh and E3 is just around the corner so we'll get more then as well.

Actually I think so... I can never remember which gaffers I'm friends with.

True. Honestly forgot about how much of a game changer E3 can be. I played Forza, was so good, but it's not something that I want to return to very often. I disliked Sunset Overdrive's gameplay and I encountered a lot of gamebreaking bugs. Also my eyes are extremely sensitive to texture/shadow pop-in. That game's texture pop-in is horrendous.

IDK man, if they just got rid of any "sticky-aim" or "aim-assist" left and increased the FOV or even just the viewmodel FOV a bit...I think it would be brilliant on PC with mouse and keyboard.

Because you'll lose money if you sell it now and decide a couple years down the road you'd like buy it again to see some of its exclusives. Plus it has decent multimedia features and I'd wager that PC-to-XB1 streaming is coming at some point (assuming your PC isn't connected to your TV already)

That's also a good point. I didn't remember the Xbox to PC features that I would like. Since Windows 10 will be come normalized between the consoles, hopefully that means the OS on the Xbox won't be so bug-ridden.

Why Miranda takes so damn long to do anything always bothered me, though—and really, you didn't bring a few Marines as backup on your rescue? While she wasn't my favorite character, I do think she got tossed out rather unfairly.

Well, to honest...almost every encounter with Miranda in Halo 3 is CRINGE.

Not to mention 343's massive retcon of the humans being the forerunners. That was, like, kinda a big deal, man. I'm still pissed about that--unless someone has some lore wizardy they would like to inform me about.

Btw, my father has an issue with playing the campaigns almost every weekend (the only time he plays the games). It's ridiculous. Today he wanted to continue his Halo 4 Legendary play through, but the game went into a audio loop when the loading bar finished and then crashed to the dashboard. He had to lose a significant portion of his progress (and we all know that Halo 4 Legendary is a major PIA).

Unfortunately, my father and I can't even play Halo 2 Anniversary co-op anymore since an update from a month ago. Will have to try it again, maybe a recent band-aid "fix" will help.

My thought for the day on creating a Halo frenzy...

MCC goes for free with gold XBL sub.

+

H5 uses the same interface as MCC for matchmaking.

+

MCC & H5 on Windows 10 but share matchmaking with the Xbox One populations.

+

Sell a balls out Forge Windows version separately that has game search/toggles linked to the community cartographer program/process.

They'll be using the same Azure servers anyway and can show other developers the benefits of development, games and populations sharing between PC and X1.

Systems are all the same e.g. File share, recorded games, tournies, ranks, playlists etc.

Hire me
I don't want a job

And there goes the reason to buy a Xbox.... not going to happen.

jem0208

True. Honestly forgot about how much of a game changer E3 can be. I played Forza, was so good, but it's not something that I want to return to very often. I disliked Sunset Overdrive's gameplay and I encountered a lot of gamebreaking bugs. Also my eyes are extremely sensitive to texture/shadow pop-in. That game's texture pop-in is horrendous.
I haven't actually played SO, just heard good things about it. FH2 is probably one of my favourite games. I just love cruising around in supercars listening to music. I'd definitely recommend keeping at least one X1 until 5's release though. It's not like you're going to lose a load of money if you don't sell it now.

IDK man, if they just got rid of any "sticky-aim" or "aim-assist" left and increased the FOV or even just the viewmodel FOV a bit...I think it would be brilliant on PC with mouse and keyboard.
Eh, I think there would be a few issues with Halo 5 on PC. The guns are too accurate and you move too slowly. You'd never miss a shot, even with no aim assist. That's a big problem with something like the sniper. I imagine it would be still be a lot of fun, however I think you'd have to have some changes to get a properly balanced experience.

Not to mention 343's massive retcon of the humans being the forerunners. That was, like, kinda a big deal, man. I'm still pissed about that--unless someone has some lore wizardy they would like to inform me about.

Huh? Pretty sure the forerunners were never humans, at least they weren't in H3...

From the 4th terminal:
L: I’ve remotely destroyed our Keyships. A security measure. Without them I cannot reach the Ark. But neither then can the thing.

I'm trapped. On a beautiful, empty world. Its inhabitants have been safely indexed, every single one of them. They’re special - well worth the effort it took to build one final gateway, even at this late hour.
I always thought this was the Librarian talking about Humans. It doesn't entirely fit with the Human-Forerunner war story though.

Can we take a moment to acknowledge how holy shit fucking amazing Mad Max was.

Wow! Thanks for the song link.

Mad Max was holy fucking shit amazeballs amazing.

Probably the best action movie I've ever seen. Great soundtrack as well, I'm listening to Brothers in Arms right now.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
My favorite song on the Mad Max Fury Road soundtrack has a part that reminds me of the Halo 2 song Delta Halo Suite. The strings in particular I love.

So good

Can we take a moment to acknowledge how holy shit fucking amazing Mad Max was.

Wow! Thanks for the song link.

Fuchsdh

I haven't actually played SO, just heard good things about it. FH2 is probably one of my favourite games. I just love cruising around in supercars listening to music. I'd definitely recommend keeping at least one X1 until 5's release though. It's not like you're going to lose a load of money if you don't sell it now.

Eh, I think there would be a few issues with Halo 5 on PC. The guns are too accurate and you move too slowly. You'd never miss a shot, even with no aim assist. That's a big problem with something like the sniper. I imagine it would be still be a lot of fun, however I think you'd have to have some changes to get a properly balanced experience.

Huh? Pretty sure the forerunners were never humans, at least they weren't in H3...

From the 4th terminal:

I always thought this was the Librarian talking about Humans. It doesn't entirely fit with the Human-Forerunner war story though.

Bungie intended humans to be descended from Forerunners, hence the "You are Forerunner", opaque references to Chief as "child" of the Gravemind's enemy, and stuff with Mendicant Bias in Contact Harvest, but as you say the Halo 3 Terminals/Iris ARG would lead any reasonable person to think that they are separate. I believe Uber/Tupo has suggested the intended reading was that humans were essentially "lost" Forerunners and that's why the Librarian was so set on trying to save them. Ultimately I think this was a failure of Bungie to properly communicate their intent. Personally I think 343's approach is more interesting in terms of expanding the lore. Insofar as retcons, it's really pretty slight—you can easily read 343GS' speech as fitting into humans being the inheritors of the Forerunner, rather than literally descended from them. While less substantial in terms of long-term impact, a retcon such as Bungie's rewriting of the Fall of Reach bothers me far more because it's so damn blatant. You take your pick.

Unless they announce a new model, slimmer box, or a price drop for the existing one. That would devalue his current X1.

From the 4th terminal:

There was ambiguous implication in 1/2, in 3 it was unclear, whether humans were an offshoot or unevolved form of Forerunners.

The human forerunner war feels clearly like a retcon / far later creation of sorts. It and the Geass. Gah.

Granadier

Mad Max was holy fucking shit amazeballs amazing.

Probably the best action movie I've ever seen. Great soundtrack as well, I'm listening to Brothers in Arms right now.

I walked into it thinking "meh, this thing is probably just going to be a flashy action flick that people seem to like."

Then it started and I don't think my eyes moved from the screen until the credits rolled.

Max is mad, man.

HTupolev

From the 4th terminal:

Bungie Grizzled Ancient David Candland has explicitly said that Bungie intended H==F.

It's arguable that H==F actually works better with the terminals than H!=F.

And regardless of whether the facts can be made to check out or not, Bungie blowing the climactic moment of the trilogy off with a "343GS is just crazy" thing is narratively nonsensical.

jem0208

Bungie intended humans to be descended from Forerunners, hence the "You are Forerunner", opaque references to Chief as "child" of the Gravemind's enemy, and stuff with Mendicant Bias in Contact Harvest, but as you say the Halo 3 Terminals/Iris ARG would lead any reasonable person to think that they are separate. I believe Uber/Tupo has suggested the intended reading was that humans were essentially "lost" Forerunners and that's why the Librarian was so set on trying to save them. Ultimately I think this was a failure of Bungie to properly communicate their intent. Personally I think 343's approach is more interesting in terms of expanding the lore. Insofar as retcons, it's really pretty slight—you can easily read 343GS' speech as fitting into humans being the inheritors of the Forerunner, rather than literally descended from them. While less substantial in terms of long-term impact, a retcon such as Bungie's rewriting of the Fall of Reach bothers me far more because it's so damn blatant. You take your pick.
I think I prefer 343's version as well. I loved the ancient humans storyline with them fighting the forerunners etc. It's more interesting than humans being descendants of the forerunners imo.

I'm not so keen on the "it was all part of my plan" theme H4 had going with the Librarian though.
Unless they announce a new model, slimmer box, or a price drop for the existing one. That would devalue his current X1.

There was ambiguous implication in 1/2, in 3 it was unclear, whether humans were an offshoot or unevolved form of Forerunners.

The human forerunner war feels clearly like a retcon / far later creation of sorts. It and the Geass. Gah.
Would it really be enough that it would make a major difference though? I mean the H5 beta was so good :p

I walked into it thinking "meh, this thing is probably just going to be a flashy action flick that people seem to like."

Then it started and I don't think my eyes moved from the screen until the credits rolled.

Max is mad, man.

Yeah, I went in thinking it was probably a bit overhyped but damn, it surpassed my expectations. One of my favourite aspects was just how gorgeous the visual direction was. The contrast of colours between night and day was brilliant and that storm scene was just amazing.

daedalius

There are a few discussions goinging on, dang.

Halo with a mouse, going by my experience on h2pc, sniping and long range was easier, strafing BR duels were harder; keyboard strafe isn't great. I ended up getting a controller to use. And yes I've played a ton of quake/UT in the past.

HTupolev

I believe Uber/Tupo has suggested the intended reading was that humans were essentially "lost" Forerunners and that's why the Librarian was so set on trying to save them.
A lot of people have read it like that, but as linked above, I think scarab's post on HBO fleshes it out best. One of the few instances of "here's a way to think of Halo 3's storytelling to resolve an apparent flaw" that I think actually works.

I've been so let down by the MCC that even if it was 100% functional, I don't think I'd have the heart to boot it up.

Haven't touched it since like December and like others here, I bought this console solely for Halo. So lame but at least I learned something.
If they got the game to what it was supposed to be on release I'd have no problem getting back into it. I love me some halo 1.

Mistel

Banned
Essentially. It constantly reminded me of RAGE. Not sure if it was intentional or not. RAGE was the perfect setting for Mad Max.
That's probably somewhat intentional as RAGE was inspired by Mad Max least after it evolved from the muscle cars in the desert as with the original concept. You could also have Fuel too.

King Leo

Neo Member
Rank climbed to an 18 so far today. This is the first time that I actually felt like playing for more than a half hour. I miss that feeling of grinding the Halo 2 ranks. Had a lot of close matches too, with only one match glitching me to the dashboard. Not too shabby.

Rockyrock

so I think 343 should implement a 1 day ban for anyone who actually votes for Halo 3 in Slayer.

Theres actually people who vote smashed and ghost town (wtf is this trash lol) over Chill Out. How is that even possible...

so I think 343 should implement a 1 day ban for anyone who actually votes for Halo 3 in Slayer.

Theres actually people who vote smashed and ghost town (wtf is this trash lol) over Chill Out. How is that even possible...

Not sure if serious...

Anyone who votes SMG/AR starts shit should be banned. But i would take a BRs Ghosttown over HaloCE. HaloCE still doesnt feel right.

They changed the hitdetection etc way too much. Not a fan anymore of the CE mp

Welfare

What the fuck is this map? Seriously, I don't remember this map in Halo 3, and it was terrible when I played it in MCC.

jem0208

They could seriously sell H5 without any form of multiplayer and I would still buy it at this rate.

Hunt the Truth is so god damn good.

RowdyReverb

Rank climbed to an 18 so far today. This is the first time that I actually felt like playing for more than a half hour. I miss that feeling of grinding the Halo 2 ranks. Had a lot of close matches too, with only one match glitching me to the dashboard. Not too shabby.
I'm looking forward to giving this a try once the game-specific playlists get ranks. The increased probability of getting objective maps there will make partying up a must.

What the fuck is this map? Seriously, I don't remember this map in Halo 3, and it was terrible when I played it in MCC.

It was a joke map that somehow ended up in ranked team slayer. Think it was the map that led to ForgeHub-Gate

I do. Why isn't Onslaught and Amplified in MM?

Yep, still waiting on those MLG Halo 3 variants to appear in Hardcore. Remember when 343 said they'd be there on November 11th?

IronWarrior

Neo Member

It appeared when they added all the updated maps like Epilogue and I haven't seen Foundry since so I'm assuming it's to replace it.

Is the H2C sword broken or am I missing something about it? Recently I've had it happen multiple times where I get the sword lunge but only get a shield break from it. I remember in Reach you could block the sword with a melee to reduce it's damage, but I don't think that's how it was in H2C.

http://xboxclips.com/FnordMouse08/0dc39077-e8c9-48c4-aaa2-ac278788be3e

I thought maybe the guy got his shotgun off before the sword but it clearly shows it broke his shield.

FyreWulff

I don't remember this. Care to explain?

WOOOOO I'M A MEMBER NOW

ForgeHub were shitting all over other member submissions in ATLAS, the forum/group on Bungie.net that you submitted Halo 3 maps for consideration into matchmaking to. They then went on to say that Bungie should just run the map submission process via ForgeHub and only let ForgeHub submit maps.

They were then banned from submitting any maps for Halo 3 due to their constant trolling of ATLAS and intentionally threadshitting on non-Forgehub submissions in ATLAS.

Is MCC fixed yet?

image.php

Damn, I gotta lay off this thread and the HtT thread til tomorrow. Monday mornings are my traditional listen time. No spoilers!

Still, this very feeling or wanting to wait is why I hope there are no pre-E3 leaks. A huge part of hype is the sweet, sweet manipulation by marketing professionals. Hell that's why Hunt the Truth is so great, at least in part: It's a masterwork of marketing and promotion way before being a great addition to the lore.

I want to see the (inevitably) lavish H5 campaign reveal at E3 free of leaky pre- and mis- conceptions and board that hype train properly!

Granadier

Is MCC fixed yet?

I just finished a huge project Ive spent months on. I had no time for games, I hadnt touched Halo in over a month, maybe more.

Sat down yesterday feeling good. Thought I'd give MCC a shot in the morning, starting the day with Halo felt right.

The game started and patched. I was feeling optimistic. My first game, 2v4 and my teammate quit. 1v4. Well that sucks. Maybe a fluke? Second game is BTB. 6v3.

eUcsbfT.gif

I shut that shit down and played something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom