• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished a huge project Ive spent months on. I had no time for games, I hadnt touched Halo in over a month, maybe more.

Sat down yesterday feeling good. Thought I'd give MCC a shot in the morning, starting the day with Halo felt right.

The game started and patched. I was feeling optimistic. My first game, 2v4 and my teammate quit. 1v4. Well that sucks. Maybe a fluke? Second game is BTB. 6v3.

eUcsbfT.gif

I shut that shit down and played something else.

Damm, thats just sad to hear.

I just finished a huge project Ive spent months on. I had no time for games, I hadnt touched Halo in over a month, maybe more.

Sat down yesterday feeling good. Thought I'd give MCC a shot in the morning, starting the day with Halo felt right.

The game started and patched. I was feeling optimistic. My first game, 2v4 and my teammate quit. 1v4. Well that sucks. Maybe a fluke? Second game is BTB. 6v3.

eUcsbfT.gif

I shut that shit down and played something else.

I experienced that very same thing just last week. Didn't play MCC for almost 2 months because of school. Turned it on, patched it, and played 3 games in a row with uneven teams and laggy players zipping around. Tried to play campaign instead with my father and it wouldn't load an H2A game.

*giggle/sob*

^_^

That's not the right emotion you should be feeling from this game.

What can I say, the gratuitous cynicism gets to me after a while.

EDIT: It's mostly a problem I have with the source material, tho; props to CDPR for all their work, I just can't stand the Witcher as a property.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
What can I say, the gratuitous cynicism gets to me after a while.

EDIT: It's mostly a problem I have with the source material, tho; props to CDPR for all their work, I just can't stand the Witcher as a property.

Did that come from the novels, or where?

The combat feels really slow compared to the enemies thats hits and moves like superman.

Fast attack and the quick dodge has worked wonders for me. Also Quen at all times.

Did that come from the novels, or where?

Fast attack and the quick dodge has worked wonders for me. Also Quen at all times.

I guess you could say it stems from the novels? But even though CDPR lightened it up a lot (more than the author would like, rumor has it), it's still a very dark series. Too much so, for my tastes.

Granadier

I guess you could say it stems from the novels? But even though CDPR lightened it up a lot (more than the author would like, rumor has it), it's still a very dark series. Too much so, for my tastes.

Ahh, I see. I haven't read the novels, or played the previous games, so I guess I'm an innocent newcomer.

It just scratches my Elder Scrolls itch, so I'm set.

-Ryn

Banned
Question regarding the Witcher 3:

Do you need to have played the previous games to understand what's going on?

Now I need someone to draw a nipple Master Chief.
Soon

It was a nice touch to have the old Forerunner(?) structures / tablets in the pools of water along the bridges at the start of Regret showing their age by looking more rusty in the Anniversary visuals.

It's also pretty funny that Halo 2 was as linear as it was (development was a mess, I know) despite most of its locations being perfect opportunities to have more open options; I could see an almost Quake / Doom / Marathon sort of setup working where it featured a bunch of interconnecting pathways peppered with secret passages and powerups, etc. That concept art reminded me of that - I could see the opening section to Regret being a lot more interesting if it was more densely loaded with towers that you had to circle around using the catwalks on the perimeters, with more interior sections and maybe even another floor or two. Flying around and shotgunning Covenant trying to defend their encampments while being distracted by the wealth of Forerunner artifacts, etc.
The little touches can really add up. Can't wait to get the game and see all the prettier up details.

I'm really hoping we see more level design like what you just described. Since H5 seems to be putting more emphasis on verticality I imagine we'll see more stuff like that. Catwalks that cross over each other, paths that loop back in on themselves, and hidden passages are awesome. The forerunners had some really cool architecture.

Granadier

Question regarding the Witcher 3:

Do you need to have played the previous games to understand what's going on?

Nope. And if want to know plot shit there's some good articles on Polygon and Kotaku.

-Ryn

Banned
Nope. And if want to know plot shit there's some good articles on Polygon and Kotaku.
Sweet, thanks Grangran

My bro has been telling me it's one of the greatest games he's played so I'm really interested in checking it out. Positive opinion on GAF certainly helps.

My issue with the Witcher is probably something most of GAF would make fun of me for. However, as a married man, the Witcher is too sex saturated in a very graphic way.
Oh Fahz, you are adorable

Don't you dare get rid of your Bone before we've had a chance to play Halo

Sweet, thanks Grangran

My bro has been telling me it's one of the greatest games he's played so I'm really interested in checking it out. Positive opinion on GAF certainly helps.

Oh Fahz, you are adorable

Don't you dare get rid of your Bone before we've had a chance to play Halo

The controls are kind of clunky (underwater is the worst), but other than that it's a masterpiece.

jem0208

Thinking about going with an X1 instead of PC. Is the competitive scene on modern Halo still strong?
I don't think anyone else here actually pays much attention to the competitive scene. Team beyond is the place to go talk about competitive Halo.

As for the scene itself, it hit a bit of a low point during H4 however it's been growing since even with the MCC being fairly broken. 343 seem to pushing the comp scene hard with H5 so I could see it getting pretty big then.

At the moment though we're a little bit into HCS Season 2. There's a Online cup every weekend until the next lan which is in about 3 or 4 weeks I think. EG are still dominant.

IHaveIce

Banned
I don't think anyone else here actually pays much attention to the competitive scene. Team beyond is the place to go talk about competitive Halo.

As for the scene itself, it hit a bit of a low point during H4 however it's been growing since even with the MCC being fairly broken. 343 seem to pushing the comp scene hard with H5 so I could see it getting pretty big then.

At the moment though we're a little bit into HCS Season 2. There's a Online cup every weekend until the next lan which is in about 3 or 4 weeks I think. EG are still dominant.

I follow the competive scene and care about it, pls don't talk for me k thx bye

Granadier

My issue with the Witcher is probably something most of GAF would make fun of me for. However, as a married man, the Witcher is too sex saturated in a very graphic way.

Being single means it's just the right amount. But I can see how it'd be too much for others.

I must be fucked up, because nothing in this game has bothered me.
Not even the aborted fetus monster.

Sweet, thanks Grangran

Damnit. I'm 25 on Wednesday. Not 87.
you're welcome

Party of 5 feels so good, made big team and halo 4 playable.

MCC is bipolar, when I wanna play on my own it whigs out but when I have 4 other people to party up with it runs with little issues.

And then it's the complete opposite for some other people or they have completely different problems all together

-Ryn

Banned
Hunt the Truth is gettin' cray cray.
Can't wait to see where this goes next Sunday. If H5 has even a fraction of this quality in the story, we are in for a ride.

The controls are kind of clunky (underwater is the worst), but other than that it's a masterpiece.
Thanks for the heads up dude.
It's funny how hard it seems to be for 3D games to get underwater sections right.

Damnit. I'm 25 on Wednesday. Not 87.
you're welcome
<3

SaganIsGOAT

Honestly, stuff like that doesn't bother me. I can put up with the body horror, the gore, all that. It's the sheer cynicism, the underlying assumption that basically everybody is a shit person that I can't deal with. It's why I can't reread ASOIF or watch Game of Thrones.

Universes where everyone is a terrible person are just the worst. I know people like the "trust no one" plots, but it ain't for me.

SaganIsGOAT

Hunt the Truth is the largest hype generator for Halo 5 right now. I love how everyone was wondering why Chief would be called a traitor, then you listen to this fantastic story telling and you get a sense that 343 ain't hamfisting this setup. Halo 4 started immediately after 3 with Chief approaching Requiem. 343 was a bit forced in that regard. Halo 5 gets to start in 343s own way, and I am VERY excited to see where they take this story.

Hunt the Truth is the largest hype generator for Halo 5 right now. I love how everyone was wondering why Chief would be called a traitor, then you listen to this fantastic story telling and you get a sense that 343 ain't hamfisting this setup. Halo 4 started immediately after 3 with Chief approaching Requiem. 343 was a bit forced in that regard. Halo 5 gets to start in 343s own way, and I am VERY excited to see where they take this story.

I feel that(without listening to episode 9) 343 is either trying to replace chief with Locke in the games, shaking off the last vestiges of a bungie era Halo. Or In-universe ONI is orchestrating the attacks that are being perpetrated by "chief"

I feel that(without listening to episode 9) 343 is either trying to replace chief with Locke in the games, shaking off the last vestiges of a bungie era Halo. Or In-universe ONI is orchestrating the attacks that are being perpetrated by "chief"

I think the in-universe explanation makes more sense, but there's a lot of stuff going on and HtT has managed to defy my expectations fairly regularly. It's possible Chief really did
abduct the ambassador,
but the reasoning and backstory is being distorted by
FERO, and whoever she works for.

I think the in-universe explanation makes more sense, but there's a lot of stuff going on and HtT has managed to defy my expectations fairly regularly. It's possible Chief really did
abduct the ambassador,
but the reasoning and backstory is being distorted by
FERO, and whoever she works for.

I really want
FERO
to be
Osman
or
far reaching here: Cortana

Akai__

The hype generator for lore fans maybe. I don't think it's something, that will turn casuals from "I might pick this up" into "I absolutely will pick this up". If you look at the Soundcloud numbers for "Hunt the Truth", you can see that the numbers actually declined over time:

Episode 0: 600k hits
Episode 1: 409k hits
Episode 2: 231k hits
Episode 8: 90k hits
Episode 9: 34k hits (newest)

Sadly, I don't think people care that much for an ARG, because it's really well done.
They will probably start to care, when they don't get the story in Halo 5, though. Still hoping, that there's at least one Prologue cutscene, which explains stuff between Halo 4 and Halo 5.

The only thing I would consider being a hype machine is real gameplay. Sure, we had the beta and the majority of the people also liked it, but campaign (and additional MP) footage is where it's at. Wait for E3 and you will have your hype machine.

---

However, I completely agree that it as a really well done ARG. They do a fantastic job of keeping the tension alive. It's much better than Nightfall and it's audio only. Props to the people, who wrote and had the idea for this. Really impressive stuff.

PS: Where is the MCC patch, the ViDoc and ODST?

Granadier

So i think next week I will resume work on GAFlo, been really busy

edit: i'm an asshole

Honestly, stuff like that doesn't bother me. I can put up with the body horror, the gore, all that. It's the sheer cynicism, the underlying assumption that basically everybody is a shit person that I can't deal with. It's why I can't reread ASOIF or watch Game of Thrones.

In real life everybody is a shit person though.

SaganIsGOAT

The hype generator for lore fans maybe. I don't think it's something, that will turn casuals from "I might pick this up" into "I absolutely will pick this up". If you look at the Soundcloud numbers for "Hunt the Truth", you can see that the numbers actually declined over time:

Episode 0: 600k hits
Episode 1: 409k hits
Episode 2: 231k hits
Episode 8: 90k hits
Episode 9: 34k hits (newest)

Sadly, I don't think people care that much for an ARG, because it's really well done.
They will probably start to care, when they don't get the story in Halo 5, though. Still hoping, that there's at least one Prologue cutscene, which explains stuff between Halo 4 and Halo 5.

The only thing I would consider being a hype machine is real gameplay. Sure, we had the beta and the majority of the people also liked it, but campaign (and additional MP) footage is where it's at. Wait for E3 and you will have your hype machine.

---

However, I completely agree that it as a really well done ARG. They do a fantastic job of keeping the tension alive. It's much better than Nightfall and it's audio only. Props to the people, who wrote and had the idea for this. Really impressive stuff.

PS: Where is the MCC patch, the ViDoc and ODST?

Keyword to my post, "largest hype generator for Halo 5 right now" my original post was supposed to say "for me" but I do think at the moment it's the best thing we have. Only thing actually lol

I'll admit, the last two episodes of Hunt the Truth, the last in particular have been pretty good, props to 343.
Do we know who (exactly) is writing it?
Yeah, all the stuff around that gif has what you're referring to.

so all of the figures released by mcfarlane will have DLC attached to them... christ, that is demotivating for completionists.

Is it like the Gamestop preorder where you're just getting it unlocked early (as in, everyone else can still get it, but you have it when you start up the game), or is it actually exclusive?

Yeah, all the stuff around that gif has what you're referring to.

Oh, huh.

wwm0nkey

wow. hopefully it's fixed by then.

I just need to get weapon switching in and make new weapons and then it should all be good as far as the base of the game goes.

Though I have to do another project for a professor in Unity (I hate unity) so that will slow things down again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom