• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlStrong

Aren't those similar to skulls from Halo? Never played Gears (aside from a few matches of horde mode I'm Gears 2 way back).
Gears had stuff like big head mode, comet (running around turns you into a fireball that damages folks), flowers replacing blood.

Just goofier stuff than grunt birthday party. :p

Fuchsdh

Gears had stuff like big head mode, comet (running around turns you into a fireball that damages folks), flowers replacing blood.

I do hope for Big Head mode as a Halo skull in the future, as well as having some of the non-scoring skulls from the Anniversary editions be a standard addition to Halo games going forward alongside the difficulty-increasing ones.

Also, I would love if Blind didn’t actually remove your gun model, because that really, really bothers me about it. I guess it’s useful for screenshots, but insofar as actual gameplay it’s frustrating.

All we know is that the Tupac-hologram Librarian sped Chief's evolution or something. What evidence is there to corroberate that chief is Iso-Didact incarnate, when that character is still alive in the novels?

343's handling of the lore is by far less egregious than Bungie's handling of the lore of Reach from the Fall of Reach base material to the game.

Eh, I don't really mind considering Halsey's Journal rectifies a significant chunk of it. Plus, they only changed the canon to be able to build a game around it that was actually possible to be made on their budget and time constraints.

wape culture

pY7rauF.jpg

Impala26

Also, I would love if Blind didn’t actually remove your gun model, because that really, really bothers me about it. I guess it’s useful for screenshots, but insofar as actual gameplay it’s frustrating.

Blind skull is pretty much the primary reason I never seriously attempt LASO's... it just makes the whole ordeal stupid.

All we know is that the Tupac-hologram Librarian sped Chief's evolution or something. What evidence is there to corroberate that chief is Iso-Didact incarnate, when that character is still alive in the novels?

lolwut?

Eh, I don't really mind considering Halsey's Journal rectifies a significant chunk of it. Plus, they only changed the canon to be able to build a game around it that was actually possible to be made on their budget and time constraints.

Oh, I'm just making a counter-point as to when people argue that 343 "butchered the canon", when in fact, Bungie already did so beforehand. I have no problems personally with what Bungie did for Reach's story--in fact, the feeling of accomplishment and nostalgia by the end of it was actually quite fantastic for long-time Halo players.

-Ryn

Banned
True. Personally my biggest gripe with the storytelling in Halo 4 is the reliance on outside materials to effectively convey to the player what's going on. Also, while I liked that the Didact was a self-absorbed maniacal badass and more proper foil to Chief than say the entirety of the Covenant or just Truth or the Gravemind, it really irked me how 343 failed to explain WHY Didact was being a genocidal maniac--especially given how he's literally the first living Forerunner we see in-game.

On the note of played-out, there is absolutely no denying that Bungie was influenced HEAVILY by "Space Marine" tropes in CE, most obviously the Alien universe. I love CE like a child of my own, but anyone who rambles on about it being this completely original story/concept I can only shake my head at.
I remember people asking why you needed to know what the Didacts motivations were in Halo 4.

"All you need to know is that he is the bad guy"... yeah I guess if Halo 4 was trying to be "Babies first space adventure" you might be right there Captain Ambition. Problem is that Halo 4 wanted its narrative and story to be taken seriously. So lacking any hint of a motivation in your key villain who came out of nowhere is kind of a problem.

Regarding CE

Tropes are tools

Originality is not based on what tropes you use, but how you use them to build and tell a story. Which Halo CE did simply and effectively enough to hold its own identity despite its influence from other works.

I approve of this. Halo needs Bobble Chief. NEEDS.

Never edit

Live and die by that rule
The buttmeister knows

As far as I know it's just fan speculation.

Fuchsdh

pY7rauF.jpg

How did this require changing the canon? It's a video game, they can basically dream up whatever they want. As lots of people from yours truly to Cody Miller have pointed out, even if you want the Spartan-III Noble Team and the whole Sword Base angles, all you really have to do is change timestamps, and that basically solves all the issues save the Autumn/Cortana issue.

-Ryn

Banned
I've always found it funny that Halo (aka THE flagship of the Xbox) has ever issues due to budget and time constraints.

That's usually what happens when you constantly shitpost
Wat? Perhaps I don't pay enough attention but I've not known Fahz to be a profuse shit poster.

Fuchsdh

When he comes back he'll have morphed into his final PC master race form.

Less than 20 days until Hunters in the Dark is out. Yay. I love how much stuff goes on in June.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Probably some campaign footage of Locke and Chief duking it out, maybe some of the larger MP experience, and if they have any crazy new feature or mode, they'll probably talk about that too.
I think a BTB Reboot blow out would make for an appropriately huge spectacle.

I think a BTB Reboot blow out would make for an appropriately huge spectacle.
I'm expecting a campaign demo, but I really think they need to do an on-stage multiplayer demo showing that Halo multiplayer is coming back and will be better than anything we've seen before. A lot of skeptics over Halo 5's multiplayer, and what better time to showcase it than during the conference?

There's a lot riding on this game.

-Ryn

Banned
What do you all think we'll see from Halo 5 at E3?
Campaign footage is pretty much guaranteed.
I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say they'll showcase some multiplayer action though. Hopefully BTB.

They gotta bring their A game.

dwells

Apparently I can't get a game of BTB anymore. Last night it was taking ten plus minutes to get a game. Today I've been searching for fifteen and nothing.

sexyelder

Apparently I can't get a game of BTB anymore. Last night it was taking ten plus minutes to get a game. Today I've been searching for fifteen and nothing.
I love Halo but mcc is an inexcusable failure. The lack of a file browser is a spit in the face and they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

Seriously though, what is Frank referring to at this part of that interview

https://youtu.be/bTDVFdQVNw4?t=187

"I think custom games plus Xbox One social features are actually gonna make it much easier to find 'servers' as it were, that are more to your tastes. It's just a much more self organising ecosystem than we've had in the past"

What are those social features he's referring to and has anybody utilised them in the way he was saying?

Fuchsdh

"I think custom games plus Xbox One social features are actually gonna make it much easier to find 'servers' as it were, that are more to your tastes. It's just a much more self organising ecosystem than we've had in the past"

What are those social features he's referring to and has anybody utilised them in the way he was saying?

Presumably that with the expanded friends/followers list and social feed it's easier to find other people playing a game.

Probably that "find other people app" that they released a couple months back. Forgot the name, but everyone at Xbox that mentioned it acted like it was some great revolution in social gaming. It would help you find people based on similar interests, like tv shows and shit.

Presumably that with the expanded friends/followers list and social feed it's easier to find other people playing a game.

Probably that "find other people app" that they released a couple months back. Forgot the name, but everyone at Xbox that mentioned it acted like it was some great revolution in social gaming. It would help you find people based on similar interests, like tv shows and shit.

Cool. Would be good if you could filter people playing MCC custom games.

Impala26

Yeah I can see that. The main reason I found CE's story to be so intriguing was because of the introduction of the flood and why the rings were built. It's a more unique take on a horror element in the genre.

Dat flood reveal.

Halo Anniversary had such potential, but it's graphical/art style changes [*redacted*] the amazing setting and atmosphere of so many places--including the flood reveal. GRRRRR!

So, just had a discussion with Fahz...

Told me it's only a one-week ban and that we wanted to formally apologize for how he phrased his above post. That it was an off-the-cuff remark that he in no way intended it to be taken literally as a harsh comment with severe perverse undertones.

And that's the way it is.

#NoMotionTracker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom