• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now let's get back to talking about Halo.

I'll start: I think Halo 4 needs a second sniper. Having a backup sniper in Team Snipes was way better than Sniper + Pistol or Sniper + nothing.

FyreWulff

I'll start: I think Halo 4 needs a second sniper. Having a backup sniper in Team Snipes was way better than Sniper + Pistol or Sniper + nothing.

I always thought the point of the pistol in Snipes was so that people could quickly unscope by YYing. Fun fact: in Reach you can unscope the sniper rifle by pressing Y even if you don't have a secondary weapon.

Fuchsdh

LISTEN TO THIS MAN.

The "advanced" component of Forge should be a standalone product. Those who aren't interested can pass it up and benefit from the talented guys who are churning out the maps but concede the ability to make their own advanced geometrical edits. I always thought a PC editor would be best but even a separate DLC package would be ok. Advanced forge owners would be able to share/download and edit other AF maps while non-AF owners could only access them in customs (have the base canvases written into the original game) or wait til they made it to MM. I see this as having huge sales potential and it allows the consumer to decide how involved you want to be in the map making process.

I dunno. I don't think Halo would benefit from a map editor like Far Cry's in the same way as Far Cry does. Doing a lot of "painting" doesn't work on the micro scale of Halo where you've got to adjust lips to avoid getting caught, etc.

Forge could be better, but considering we're starting a new trilogy by a new developer I'm not holding out hope for something dramatically different or better. If they can get something on par with Reach's forge and just provide a better ecosystem for creating unique maps than what's currently offered I'll be happy.

Releasing a more fully-featured editor later as DLC is fine by me, since it means less precious development time diverted from campaign and multiplayer and pleasing people when the default maps start getting stale.

wwm0nkey

Here is what I would personally like to see.

Have people make maps in a full featured editor and have them be available to download for free but pull a TF2 and let people pay for it to support the map maker if they want to with Microsoft taking like $0.10 per $1 spent.

FyreWulff

Focus Rifle design is pretty sweet. But if it was suppose to take the role of the sniper? Yeah it was poor.

Give us a new designed sniper! I love to use YY for sniping.

Well they said they tried to eliminate redundancies, so I'm not sure it was supposed to be the Beam Rifle. I think the Focus Rifle is essentially supposed to be a more balanced/refined Sentinel Beam.

heckfu

Banned
Well they said they tried to eliminate redundancies, so I'm not sure it was supposed to be the Beam Rifle. I think the Focus Rifle is essentially supposed to be a more balanced Sentinel Beam.

If that's true then why didn't they litter the maps like plasma repeaters or needlers?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
No no, no donations please. It's just a contest. Thank you guys though.

I YY because it used to be useful in Halo 2 and I would argue Halo 3 as well. I still do it out of habit.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Uh.. it says 814 for Michael and 840 for Tashi.

What are you guys talking about?

edit: Oh so they picked a winner without closing the poll?

Remember that democracy allows everyone to vote. And not everyone is sane, far from it.
I'd tell you to play and vote but apparently possibly getting Vanilla is too grave a risk. Even though it doesn't happen if you play with us. But you can't because of Euro time. :(

The biggest problem with democracy is actually getting people to vote. For example all the people who dislike Vanilla Reach are hardly going to go into a playlist where there are 50/50 odds of playing settings they dislike.
A big super jackpot helps.

I mean what would you do? You have a team of programmers, testers and artists, do you put them to work on a map editor or do you put them to work on the core components of the game?
These things aren't mutually exclusive.

Microsoft could just let us use USB keyboards and mice instead of making the map editor a PC app.

Saw this on HBO:

Jaime Griesemer posted a fascinating little piece on his blog last week - it involved the animations for Halo 3, and how 33 milliseconds can make the difference between immersion and discomfort. Give it a read! Thanks, The More Deluded. (Louis Wu 20:47:34 UTC)

- http://thetipofthesphere.com/2012/01/30/design-by-numbers-simultaneous-perception/

Its pretty amazing what those guys think about when it comes to designing games, and its one of the reasons Bungie are so damn good. Other people wouldn't even know to consider this stuff.

For me the less frames an animation take the better because I want to be back to shooting quicker, but its crazy how human perception plays a part.

I'd tell you to play and vote but apparently possibly getting Vanilla is too grave a risk. Even though it doesn't happen if you play with us. But you can't because of Euro time. :(

A big super jackpot helps.

These things aren't mutually exclusive.

Microsoft could just let us use USB keyboards and mice instead of making the map editor a PC app.

Yeah the super jackpot is a nice tease, but its not something I would personally want to rely on. I suppose it will get some people in which is good. I still think that people who dislike vanilla Reach will just avoid the playlist though.

In software development those things are mutually exclusive, because you only have so many resources. :( Gabotron mentioned reusing assets across modes, which is all well and good, but it does change the design process. Which is probably going to be loads of work.

TheOddOne

Played Reach again after two days. Why in the world does Uncaged come up so often during Slayer? I felt like I was being trolled constantly.

In other news, sorry about your loss Tashi. You where robbed :3

- http://thetipofthesphere.com/2012/01/30/design-by-numbers-simultaneous-perception/

Its pretty amazing what those guys think about when it comes to designing games, and its one of the reasons Bungie are so damn good. Other people wouldn't even know to consider this stuff.

For me the less frames an animation take the better because I want to be back to shooting quicker, but its crazy how human perception plays a part.
Jaime is awesome, his presentation about Halo MP was freaking amazing too.

Beam Rifle is 100% redundant. No reason for it.

The Focus Rifle is a great replacement, Bungie just fucked their own good design on the weapon by nerfing it when it had zero need for nerfing.

If that's true then why didn't they litter the maps like plasma repeaters or needlers?

They wanted to reduce/eliminate redundant weapons and they also want a weapon for each role for both spartans and covenant (for Invasion basically). The Repeater is the Covy's AR, but they made it a bit different with the slower firing but becomes more accurate as you continue to fire it.

The needler is an odd one. The Needler has arguable never had a role in the MP sandbox (probably the only weapon in CE that wasn't useful), but its one of those weapons that stays in every game because its the goddamn needler, a unique weapon to Halo. I'd be willing to bet that it shows up in Halo 4 again.

Some cool Halo art from clicking some links in the concept art thread that's going on.
First three are Reach ones:
Haven't seen this one before
ALASKA.jpg

Why couldn't the AR look like the guys on the left? Thing looks badass
deploy_006.jpg

Seen this one, but it's really cool
ELITE_004.jpg

A couple Halo 3 ones as well:
Would have been cool to actually see this scene in the game
falling_copy_compressed.jpg

Art for the Cold Storage that I've never seen before
chillout_5.jpg

Yeah the super jackpot is a nice tease, but its not something I would personally want to rely on. I suppose it will get some people in which is good. I still think that people who dislike vanilla Reach will just avoid the playlist though.
Possibly. Sucks if they don't though. Casting your vote for a more unified Reach is important enough to me to possibly play some Vanilla games, which I don't even hate with a fiery passion like some people here.

In software development those things are mutually exclusive, because you only have so many resources. :( Gabotron mentioned reusing assets across modes, which is all well and good, but it does change the design process. Which is probably going to be loads of work.
So you're saying that no game has ever had both an excellent core game and a full fledged map creator? I think I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that one. :p

heckfu

Banned
Redundant, sure. But did the covenant just wake up one day and say, "wort wort wort, we need a sniper too?"

I understand your argument completely but I also see its role for the covenant and therefore in MM to some extent, ie, a secondary weapon in team snipers or to replace one sniper on a map that has two.

FyreWulff

Redundant, sure. But did the covenant just wake up one day and say, "wort wort wort, we need a sniper too?"

I understand your argument completely but I also see its role for the covenant and therefore in MM to some extent, ie, a secondary weapon in team snipers or to replace one sniper on a map that has two.

The other benefit of removing redundant weapons is that you can fit all weapons into memory at one time, therefore making all the multiplayer weapons startable. Versus Halo 3 which had a bunch of weapons with redundancies and as a result not every weapon was startable due to memory concerns. Especially hurt when you couldn't start with the PR.. Covy Slayer in Halo 3 was a joke. You couldn't start players with a PR or a Carbine, so Covy slayer was BR/AR start with Wraiths essentially :lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Someone is selling some suuuper sexy Reach art in the buy sell trade thread stickied in community. Anyone looking to drop 500 or more on it should check it out.

They wanted to reduce/eliminate redundant weapons and they also want a weapon for each role for both spartans and covenant (for Invasion basically). The Repeater is the Covy's AR, but they made it a bit different with the slower firing but becomes more accurate as you continue to fire it.

The needler is an odd one. The Needler has arguable never had a role in the MP sandbox (probably the only weapon in CE that wasn't useful), but its one of those weapons that stays in every game because its the goddamn needler, a unique weapon to Halo. I'd be willing to bet that it shows up in Halo 4 again.

Some cool Halo art from clicking some links in the concept art thread that's going on.
First three are Reach ones:
Haven't seen this one before
ALASKA.jpg

Why couldn't the AR look like the guys on the left? Thing looks badass
deploy_006.jpg

Seen this one, but it's really cool
ELITE_004.jpg

A couple Halo 3 ones as well:
Would have been cool to actually see this scene in the game
falling_copy_compressed.jpg

Art for the Cold Storage that I've never seen before
chillout_5.jpg
Link to the thread?

Beam Rifle is 100% redundant. No reason for it.

Well maybe in the general MP sandbox, yeah, but it's still a cool alternative. Especially to balance out weapon drops in Invasion skirmish or just to have an alternate weapon for Snipers. Heck, it'd cool just to have a Covenant sniper for Covenant themed maps.

And, uh, what Plasma Repeater are you using? Mine certainly doesn't become more accurate as I fire it. Plasma Repeater was a good idea but piss poor in execution. Should have functioned exactly like the Halo CE Plasma Rifle.

Probably lol.

I guess we just disagree, but I don't think the want for a secondary sniper in a fringe gametype justifies the need for a redundant sniper weapon to be a part of the sandbox.

Link to the thread?

Link

Well maybe in the general MP sandbox, yeah, but it's still a cool alternative. Especially to balance out weapon drops in Invasion skirmish or just to have an alternate weapon for Snipers. Heck, it'd cool just to have a Covenant sniper for Covenant themed maps.

And, uh, what Plasma Repeater are you using? Mine certainly doesn't become more accurate as I fire it. Plasma Repeater was a good idea but piss poor in execution. Should have functioned exactly like the Halo CE Plasma Rifle.

The repeater definitely does that. As you hold down the trigger, the firing rate slows and it gets more accurate as you move towards the overheat.

It's a pretty cool mechanic, but unfortunately the weapon is pretty weak, so it doesn't really help much.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The Needler is only now useful in Reach.

As for the Needler Rifle I actually like it over the carbine.

The repeater definitely does that. As you hold down the trigger, the firing rate slows and it gets more accurate as you move towards the overheat.

It's a pretty cool mechanic, but unfortunately the weapon is pretty weak, so it doesn't really help much.
Huh. Interesting. I'll tell you one thing, the bloom is not translating that information to the player, that's for sure.

FyreWulff

Huh. Interesting. I'll tell you one thing, the bloom is not translating that information to the player, that's for sure.

The repeater also has the Infinite Bloom glitch. Turn on Bottomless Clip and just hold the trigger down. Eventually the reticule will take off and expand off the screen (the gun's bloom itself isn't affected)

The repeater also has the Infinite Bloom glitch. Turn on Bottomless Clip and just hold the trigger down. Eventually the reticule will take off and expand off the screen (the gun's bloom itself isn't affected)
Yeah, I knew about that one. Lol, it's pretty ridiculous.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Someone is selling some suuuper sexy Reach art in the buy sell trade thread stickied in community. Anyone looking to drop 500 or more on it should check it out.

Damn. I've always wanted that Mass Effect art, but that's out of my price range for paper. I'd take a PNG and print it myself though!

Possibly. Sucks if they don't though. Casting your vote for a more unified Reach is important enough to me to possibly play some Vanilla games, which I don't even hate with a fiery passion like some people here.

So you're saying that no game has ever had both an excellent core game and a full fledged map creator? I think I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that one. :p

Im not saying its impossible, im not saying that I dont want it but I am saying that the way someone was saying that its expected and that 343 would be pretty much hating on the fans not to do it is something I dont agree with. Its a tough thing to get down and I dont expect 343 to do it at all.

And its because I hate vanilla Reach with a fiery passion that I wont risk playing it. :p

The Needler is only now useful in Reach.

As for the Needler Rifle I actually like it over the carbine.

Yeah I definitely prefer the Needle Rifle to the Carbine. Not only does it use the needle combustion in a cool way, but I feel the weapon makes a lot more sense lore wise with the rest of the covenant weapons. The Carbine always stuck out as a sore thumb to me in being nothing like the rest of the Covy tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom