• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redford

aka Cabbie
At least Superman was signing on at the end to try and save you...

Overdoz1z's Sarcasm makes 300th post, no longer Junior Member.

Even if it is balanced: is it fun? That question isn't asked enough.

You actually do stop asking that question after a year of this game.

I think I've been quit banned about 6 times today. ligaf.

"But if you use evade too you can just follow them. It's totally balanced"

Yeah I'd rather not be a hypocrite and just not use bullshit I complain about. Plus evade doesn't even follow physics very well either, evade off hill propel 50 feet despite being a heavy fucking machine. Ugh. It's just bad.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
1,200 views??? more people watching the borg play Halo than actual people in matchmaking
It hit around 1400 earlier. I am noticing more people in the MLG playlist too. I would imagine the announcement MLG made made a difference.

DLC weighting is actually working in Team Slayer guys.

Played 5 games and got

Condemned
Asylum
Solitary
Swordbase
Condemned

This happen to anyone else? or am I just lucky?

For the record we were playing in a party of 3.

Very lucky if you compare it to my experience.

I've played nine games of TS since the latest MM update and have not seen a DLC map come up. Extend that beyond the TS games and it's been 19 MM games since I played a DLC map (Tempest in Action Sack). Prior to that, it's had been 45 games of MM in non-DLC playlists without a DLC map (Solitary in SWAT was the last one).

So for my experience, the increase of DLC weighting has not been effective in the slightest. :/

Tawpgun

Even if it is balanced: is it fun? That question isn't asked enough.

It's fun for the user.

Not fun for the victim.

You can argue that about anything. But getting 4 shotted, or ninja assassinated, or no scoped was fun for the user and the victim was left with a fair death, being impressed by his opponents ability.

Now to get away from death you press a button.

Music in MP can be interesting if implemented properly, and if done it probably should be optional.

What strikes you as being celtic? The gregorian chants...?

I dunno exactly, now that you mention it.. Just in my mind some songs had some undertones that were reminiscent.. Ill listen to some and see if I can find some examples, but celtic might not be the best description tbh.

Sorry guys I'm done for the night, didn't have any fun thanks to shit matchmaking that decided booties and I would retain terrible fucking team mates while playing decent players.

heckfu

Banned
You actually do stop asking that question after a year of this game.

I think I've been quit banned about 6 times today. ligaf.

If you're going to quit that often just do everyone a favor and don't play. There are fewer annoying things than quitters (and yeah, I get the occasional quit because I'm too frustrated or other teammates have quit so I did as well) but six quit bans in one day?

Come on man, I see that ydgaf but a lot of other people on your teams do.

Redford

aka Cabbie
If you're going to quit that often just do everyone a favor and don't play. There are fewer annoying things than quitters (and yeah, I get the occasional quit because I'm too frustrated or other teammates have quit so I did as well) but six quit bans in one day?

Come on man, I see that ydgaf but a lot of other people on your teams do.

I played FFA most of the day today, and that's where 90% of my quits were, if I remember correctly. If that's still a sin, then okay. But I rarely quit out of any team playlist (except maybe an unbalanced BTB game).

And it's not hard if one more quit after each ban earns you another ban.

CyReN

I don't think I've ever quit a match. I'm one of those guys that plays even when it's 1v4.

Hate me.

I usually go do stuff and wait until the games over, I'm that asshole.

but yea Halo 4 should have something like "Quit With Honor" if 50% or more or more of the team quits so you aren't penalized.

It's fun for the user.

Not fun for the victim.

This isn't a question of winning an encounter or losing an encounter. Let's say that Devo wants to make evade "fun for her" so she chooses it and since she's pretty good at the game she evades her way to a few kills. The people she kills then choose evade because they want the game to be fun for them too (by getting kills with evade). Now everyone is flip-rolling around the map with shotguns and swords or just trying to flip-roll out of combat.

Everyone is evading. Everyone is getting kills. Four of them will win the game. Is that fun?

If you still answer "yes" then Reach is the game for you.

AA's were supposed to add depth to Reach's gameplay, but somehow they bring the gameplay down to the lowest common denominator. Frave us Sankie.

Ramirez

I usually go do stuff and wait until the games over, I'm that asshole.

but yea Halo 4 should have something like "Quit With Honor" if 50% or more or more of the team quits so you aren't penalized.

HiredN00bs quit is the new friendly quit from Madden.

This isn't a question of winning an encounter or losing an encounter. Let's say that Devo wants to make evade "fun for her" so she chooses it and since she's pretty good at the game she evades her way to a few kills. The people she kills then choose evade because they want the game to be fun for them too (by getting kills with evade). Now everyone is flip-rolling around the map with shotguns and swords or just trying to flip-roll out of combat.

Everyone is evading. Everyone is getting kills. Four of them will win the game. Is that fun?

AA's were supposed to add depth to Reach's gameplay, but somehow they bring the gameplay down to the lowest common denominator. Frave us Sankie.

Artificial depth is the worst kind of depth. And Reach is full of it. Instead of thinking the basics through we're left with a bunch of inconsistent shit that was supposed to be polish and ended up being turds.

zap

Sprint only is decent, but going back to Halo 3 makes me love the lack of AAs. And that is with the super slow movement speed.

Halo 4 Chief better move like he does in the books...

CyReN

Oh, I do.

But may I ask what the reason is for this madness? You're wasting everybody's time and your own for what?

All about the credits
3241873557_5b8ecc869e.jpg

Booshka

Is it just me or is the Anniversary Classic playlist flat out better than any Reach stuff?

I don't like the way it plays, I would also rather have the DMR try to emulate the CE pistol than the Reach Pistol try to do it, the magnetism, fire rate, clip size and overall feel are just off for the Reach Pistol. The DMR is a medium to long range rifle that emulates the CE pistol more closely, especially with no bloom, it's just too easy to shoot so having it as a 3sk or even 4sk is ridiculous.

I don't like the way it plays, I would also rather have the DMR try to emulate the CE pistol than the Reach Pistol try to do it, the magnetism, fire rate, clip size and overall feel are just off for the Reach Pistol. The DMR is a medium to long range rifle that emulates the CE pistol more closely, especially with no bloom, it's just too easy to shoot so having it as a 3sk or even 4sk is ridiculous.

You know what's really pissed me off the last 6 months, magnetism being shit when you're firing out of scope.

Booshka

You know what's really pissed me off the last 6 months, magnetism being shit when you're firing out of scope.

I brought that up like 6 months ago, wrote a big wall of text about how Shadowrun and Halo CE have the same magnetism in and out of scope, makes the gunplay more consistent and just cleaner shooting in general. I really wish designers of FPS games on console would take a closer look at how that mechanic affects the gunplay, I guess only John Howard gets that.

Having a clean shot with aim assist then getting shot out of scope and either having to shoot back with no aim assist or try to zoom back in is sloppy gunplay in my opinion. Aim assist is necessary on console FPS games, so please make it consistent.

I brought that up like 6 months ago, wrote a big wall of text about how Shadowrun and Halo CE have the same magnetism in and out of scope, makes the gunplay more consistent and just cleaner shooting in general. I really wish designers of FPS games on console would take a closer look at how that mechanic affects the gunplay, I guess only John Howard gets that.

Having a clean shot with aim assist then getting shot out of scope and either having to shoot back with no aim assist or try to zoom back in is sloppy gunplay in my opinion. Aim assist is necessary on console FPS games, so please make it consistent.

It's totally sloppy gun play. It makes for dumb encounters to, especially if you're getting pinged from farther away and can't zoom in right back at the person.

I've got a few funny clips rendered if anyone wants to check'em out. All of them involving vehicles oddly enough. 3 nice bailouts and 2 derbys :p

What happens at the start of a Breakneck match when you trust Heckfu to drive you. http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=26556596&player=ZalinKrow

This was hilarious

I played FFA most of the day today, and that's where 90% of my quits were, if I remember correctly. If that's still a sin, then okay. But I rarely quit out of any team playlist (except maybe an unbalanced BTB game).

And it's not hard if one more quit after each ban earns you another ban.

I went through a phase of quitting elite slayer or rocket race the moment they won the vote. Sending a message. That shit should not be in standard Halo playlists.

No, they serve no purpose after a certain point too.
Okay good. Because those people that stick around really infuriate me. Yeah it sucks that your teammates quit but who gives a shit about your credits, win/loss ratio, whatever, it's not worth the waste of time.

Still bungie fans right?

Finally, the company didn't say much about the next game from Halo creator, Bungie. The developer penned a ten-year publishing deal with Activision in 2010 and the first title to emerge from that contract is likely to be announced at this year's E3. Kotick told us that, "We're very excited about it – they are a superb developer; they're going to deliver something exceptional."

Source

I don't think I've ever quit a match. I'm one of those guys that plays even when it's 1v4.

Hate me.
<3

Barrow Roll said:
Okay good. Because those people that stick around really infuriate me. Yeah it sucks that your teammates quit but who gives a shit about your credits, win/loss ratio, whatever, it's not worth the waste of time.
Anyone that doesn't like it can quit out. Your "Who gives a shit..." argument equally applies to the 1 and the 4.

No one in HaloGAF actually plays Halo dude.

Halo hasnt been worth playing for a year and a half. :(

Yeah this is the thing I really dislike about Reach, theres a real "if you cant beat them, join them" mentality, I would prefer to sidestep and just avoid playing a game I dont like rather than abusing mechanics I dont like.

Artificial depth is the worst kind of depth. And Reach is full of it. Instead of thinking the basics through we're left with a bunch of inconsistent shit that was supposed to be polish and ended up being turds.

And this. I have never been a fan of weapon x beats weapon y gameplay which is where Bungie seemed to really want to take Halo, and while that isn't the core of Reach there is a lot of artificial fluff to play pretend tactics over. Over's joke about Evade being balanced because you can evade after the person is an example of the fluff that people think is 'skill'. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom