• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least until we have a proper thread for Bungie's new IP you guys better be posting Bungie stuff in here or I will miss it.

Bungie is even more tight lipped about their game than 343i is.
Probably because they gave 343i that loud mouthed weekly update guy with the mister chiefs.
What was his name, Fronkie?

<3

Fuchsdh

Music in MP can be interesting if implemented properly, and if done it probably should be optional.

I dunno exactly, now that you mention it.. Just in my mind some songs had some undertones that were reminiscent.. Ill listen to some and see if I can find some examples, but celtic might not be the best description tbh.

I've always found there to be almost Scottish fiddle lilts in the "Truth and Reconciliation Suite" during the Halo theme.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uta7ujswLUw&t=3m40s

Very lucky if you compare it to my experience.

I've played nine games of TS since the latest MM update and have not seen a DLC map come up. Extend that beyond the TS games and it's been 19 MM games since I played a DLC map (Tempest in Action Sack). Prior to that, it's had been 45 games of MM in non-DLC playlists without a DLC map (Solitary in SWAT was the last one).

So for my experience, the increase of DLC weighting has not been effective in the slightest. :/
How large of a party were you in for these?

Been almost two full months without playing Reach or any Halo, which is a first for me. Starting to get the itch to play again, but Arkham City is so much fucking fun and I don't have a whole lot of time to play. It'll be interesting to see how much more terrible I am when I finally get back to playing.

Frankie/Ellis: are there any plans on some Firefight updates? I realize that regular MM should be the focus of Reach's updates, but adding a couple of new ODST-style gametypes could really go a long way towards making that playlist fresh again.

Hey You

Is it just me or is the Anniversary Classic playlist flat out better than any Reach stuff?

Doesn't have armor lock, so
no

Cool, couple of HaloGAFers are from Vancouver. :p
Was born in the hospital there :)

Frankie/Ellis: are there any plans on some Firefight updates? I realize that regular MM should be the focus of Reach's updates, but adding a couple of new ODST-style gametypes could really go a long way towards making that playlist fresh again.
Didn't Homeboyd say if we came across some FF gametypes, to send it to him? We could potentially get some updates that way?

I would like to have the gametypes from FF arcade in Score attack, especially fistfight.

Anyone else notice that Team Slayer finally has a higher population than Living Dead?

You can probably thank the jackpot for that. I've been playing it for the past couple days with no signs of the jackpot. In the mean time I've played truly great maps such as Kingdom and Synapse.

Ramirez

I know I'm going out on a limb, but does anyone think the lack of FF updates means they might not care about the current FF setup, and it might be changing greatly in 4? I can dream, right?

FyreWulff

Didn't Homeboyd say if we came across some FF gametypes, to send it to him? We could potentially get some updates that way?

Not sure if Homeboy said that but I'm pushing up Firefight gametypes from HBO/Waypoint that I see (like RC Master's various score attack gametypes). Got any to point me at? I'm planning on pushing hard for an update once we get past heavies, but it's completely up to 343 in the end. Keep in mind though, you're probably not going to see ODST style endless firefight in matchmaking. I'd like to see more survival variants myself, but it will probably always max out 3 sets at the most.

Ramirez

lol, is Heavies REALLY being asked for that much by the community? I've never seen a single post in here saying "Gee, I wish their were some heavy variants in BTB Reach!".

^ It's a shame that split screen actually restricts a playlist from being able to have certain maps in it, completely ridiculous.

I know I'm going out on a limb, but does anyone think the lack of FF updates means they might not care about the current FF setup, and it might be changing greatly in 4? I can dream, right?
Twill be interesting to see what they do.
What kind of changes did you have in mind?

Major Nelson stat list is up for the week of January 30th

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
2. Call of Duty: Black Ops
3. FIFA 12
4. Skyrim
5. Battlefield 3
6. Halo: Reach
7. Modern Warfare 2
8. Gears of War 3
9. NBA 2K12
10. Madden NFL 12
11. GTA IV
12. Forza Motorsport 4
13. Saints Row: The Third
14. NHL12
15.Halo 3
16. Assassin&#8217;s Creed Revelations
17. Call of Duty 4
18. Red Dead Redemption
19. NBA 2K11
20. Batman: Arkham City

Reach seems do be fairly stable in population numbers, but I'd still like to see it a little bit higher up.

Ramirez

Twill be interesting to see what they do.
What kind of changes did you have in mind?

I just want it to evolve past it's shooting gallery feel, actually make it intense again. I think something like MW's spec ops would be so much more fun with Halo's AI, but then you run into the awful net code, so I don't know really.

I would like to have the gametypes from FF arcade in Score attack, especially fistfight.
I'd still like to try the gametypes that RC Master made up, but it's difficult to get people together to play some custom FF.

I still need to get back to the Riddler challenges as some point. Such a great game.
I'm skipping a lot of them now because either I don't have the proper tools to get it or I just don't understand how the puzzle works. I'm having a blast just dropping down on a group of thugs and beating the snot out of them. Most fun I've ever had in a fighting game.

I'm actually hoping for a new iteration of Firefight. The Gears 3 Horde is spectacular and really made me lose a lot of interest in Reach's current setup. Maybe having new types of enemies in H4 will go a long way, but I'm hoping for at least a pretty massive AI overhaul. I'd love to see more species-specific behavior in how they attack/flank you, instead of the single squad tactics that have become kind of stale in Reach.

Sordid

Does anyone in HaloGAF still need the Anniversary map pack? I have a spare code going (also codes for the Grunt Funeral Skull and Master Chief male/female avatar armour)

So

I loaded up Reach to play Anniversary Squad now there's none of that inconsistant three shot pistol pap in there. "Finally, I can play TU Reach every game on the new maps with a lovely 85% DMR" I thought.

First lobby. The top option is:

'TU Elite Slayer'
'Penance'

343's face
images

Of course, it's voted for

Troll-Face-Small-150x150.jpg

The teammates

badelites.jpg

The result

ththanksReach.jpg

Th...Thanks Reach

Striker

lol, is Heavies REALLY being asked for that much by the community? I've never seen a single post in here saying "Gee, I wish their were some heavy variants in BTB Reach!".

^ It's a shame that split screen actually restricts a playlist from being able to have certain maps in it, completely ridiculous.
Yes it is.

re: Heavies, after how horrible it was in Halo 3 I don't know why people want it back so bad. Add a bunch of heavy weapons, in this case the spamming FRG and the god-awful Laser, and then add a some Banshee, Falcon, and tanks, bam, ship it. Maybe for some hilarity add some fusion coils like they did in Valhalla.

Hey You

Not sure if Homeboy said that but I'm pushing up Firefight gametypes from HBO/Waypoint that I see (like RC Master's various score attack gametypes). Got any to point me at? I'm planning on pushing hard for an update once we get past heavies, but it's completely up to 343 in the end. Keep in mind though, you're probably not going to see ODST style endless firefight in matchmaking. I'd like to see more survival variants myself, but it will probably always max out 3 sets at the most.

None at the moment.

And Yeah, wasn't expecting anything like ODST's FF in MM but I'm glad there's a possibility to add some variety to the current gametype lineup.

There's too little cover which causes -among other things- shitty spawns.

Yep, wasn't fun when it was in Flagstravaganza.

Yes it is.

re: Heavies, after how horrible it was in Halo 3 I don't know why people want it back so bad. Add a bunch of heavy weapons, in this case the spamming FRG and the god-awful Laser, and then add a some Banshee, Falcon, and tanks, bam, ship it. Maybe for some hilarity add some fusion coils like they did in Valhalla.

It made for some random,fun mayhem.

All I want is firefight limited back no idea why they can't even offer as a choice

FyreWulff

None at the moment.

And Yeah, wasn't expecting anything like ODST's FF in MM but I'm glad there's a possibility to add some variety to the current gametype lineup.

Yeah. Unfortunately, endless MM isn't possible for two reasons: Game Complete bonus (you could get $texas by just idling for two hours) and well, griefers that hide from the AI and make you quit after being stuck in the game for 4 days.

All I want is firefight limited back no idea why they can't even offer as a choice

FF Limited died due to the double whammy of low population and all the Anniversary added playlists making the game start to hit the playlist cap. They had to delete it to make room for the Anniversary lists..

Ramirez

Another thought on FF, if the best you can offer is a bunch of garbage arcade gametypes, where all you do is spam the right trigger with your FRC/RL, don't even bother adding it to the game.

^credits and their implementation in Reach really ruin everything!

Reach's current firefight is the most retarded thing I've ever seen, it's filled with wacky and nonsense gametypes where people just constantly spam their FRG while jetpacking.

Trey

Oh, I do.

But may I ask what the reason is for this madness? You're wasting everybody's time and your own for what?

I don't mind it. It adds a survival dynamic to the game for me, and allows me to easily justify my deaths. K/D ratio holds little sway over me, as does losing a game where I willingly went into matchmaking alone.

FyreWulff

Reach's current firefight is the most retarded thing I've ever seen, it's filled with wacky and nonsense gametypes where people just constantly spam their FRG while jetpacking.

One of them needs to distinguish from the other. As it stands, all FF Anniversary is, is a copy of FF Arcade but on one map.

Either FF Anniversary needs to get a lot more survivalish gametypes or FF Arcade does. One of the two.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I don't like the way it plays, I would also rather have the DMR try to emulate the CE pistol than the Reach Pistol try to do it, the magnetism, fire rate, clip size and overall feel are just off for the Reach Pistol. The DMR is a medium to long range rifle that emulates the CE pistol more closely, especially with no bloom, it's just too easy to shoot so having it as a 3sk or even 4sk is ridiculous.

Standing at the top of Sword base elevator, with a pistol, skeet shooting BKs who refuse to come in from the top entrance.

Havok

I don't think I've ever had less fun with a game than Heavies on Standoff in Halo 3. Is the plan to integrate it into BTB? If so, that will mark the end of my time playing BTB.

Favoring 4 player split over giving a desperately needed breath of fresh air to a playlist like objective is pretty disappointing. Even moreso considering how much a team with guests, even just two, can ruin the quality of a match in such a teamwork heavy playlist. Priorities seem all out of whack. Even if most of the Forge maps are terrible, there are enough of them that play well enough in their Arena setting that it would be nice to mix things up a little. I can only handle the Zealot Powerhouse Countdown trifecta for so long, especially when it's impossible to find a DLC match in there.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.

It's definitely something we've been looking at, but as you've already guess it's slipped a little on the priority list for other MM concerns. If enough people ask for updates to FF, priorities can change. Not saying you should start a letting writing campaign, but definitely keep reminding us. Helps to keep us honest.

Get some Music for the Jilted Generation (Prodigy) and Daft Punk Tron up in there.

Skrillex yo.

Donat

Neo Member
Yeah. Unfortunately, endless MM isn't possible for two reasons: Game Complete bonus (you could get $texas by just idling for two hours) and well, griefers that hide from the AI and make you quit after being stuck in the game for 4 days.

That could be resolved just like in Campaign MM, couldn't it? You just don't get any more time-credits after a certain amount of time has passed. I think it was 80 minutes for Campaign MM a few months ago. This would also minimize the griefing due to lack of motivation.

Overdoziz

Banned
It's definitely something we've been looking at, but as you've already guess it's slipped a little on the priority list for other MM concerns. If enough people ask for updates to FF, priorities can change. Not saying you should start a letting writing campaign, but definitely keep reminding us. Helps to keep us honest.
You guys should focus more on removing Evade from TO than FF.
Please.

Edit: While you're at it remove Jetpack and Active Camo from Squad Slayer. Would be very much appreciated.

FyreWulff

That could be resolved just like in Campaign MM, couldn't it? You just don't get any more time-credits after a certain amount of time has passed. I think it was 80 minutes for Campaign MM a few months ago. This would also minimize the griefing due to lack of motivation.

Those might be on separate systems. I can't even remember if it's possible to distinguish between matchmaking and private-lobby Campaign co-op games via the API or Bungie.net. I remember it not being possible. We still don't know if Campaign Matchmaking can even support options like skulls being turned on.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Played some Rumble Pit last night, and immediately regretted it. Soooo many grenades spammed. If grenades are going to be a power weapon, why aren't they actually placed on the map as such?

Still bungie fans right?

Source

My gut feeling is still that Bungie's next IP will be coming out for the next consoles.

Forge is poop.

fixed

Hopefully. Mission based/progression firefight plz.

Well that doesn't necessarily mean 4 player split online.

How soon could 343 confirm splitscreen support?
They could probably confirm if it was still on the docket of features "right now", with no guarantees it won't be cut for any number of reasons between now and ship.

Now when I say could, I doubt it would fall into any marketing plans to drop a sizeable if not hefty feature reveal on "a popular video game messageboard". That being said, I've been happily surprised before.

P.S. I'd bet that there will be splitscreen coop at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom