• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just calling it as I see it. This is all we have so far to go without making any further assumptions.

I'm still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. When the marketing machine starts and we get our first look at the final designs, and not just some images of a $10 toy, things might be different.

Agreed. I dont mind the look of the toy, but for it being MC I am not sold yet. Its just too hard to judge off of this though and I need to see something from the game. I am really excited to see in game pics and get a feel for his new look.

Ken

DWNCf.jpg

Pew.

TCKaos

So Chief could have some way more badass suit (remember Spark's mention of Combat Skins in CE/CEA?) later along the line for all we know.

You mean like any of these?

To me the new suit is just too over designed and completely inefficient for combat. It's like Final Fantasy, but instead of belts and zippers, shirtless sleeves and half-skirts and half-vests you have pauldrons that don't protect the shoulders, crotch armor that doesn't protect his crotch or hips, chest armor that has a massive gaping hole right in the middle of his chest, and finger armor for protecting his fingers. I hope he's good at Slayer, 'cause it looks like he needs some steaks.

This would be okay if it was some sort of baseline where we can start upgrading him or our multiplayer character but as it stands he just doesn't cut it for an iconic super soldier.

dat Skyrim

Skyrim
-boring as shit plot
-meaningless characters
-shitty armor/weapon/health systems sometimes I die really fast sometimes the enemies have zero chance of killing me
-ogres are stronger than dragons?
-terrible battle system
-super dumb AI.

Its addicting dont get me wrong, but its far from a great game. I said it before and I'll say it again those elder scrolls RPG's need a huge fucking change. Because that stuff got boring back when I played Daggerfall all day.

Skyrim
-boring as shit plot
-meaningless characters
-shitty armor/weapon/health systems sometimes I die really fast sometimes the enemies have zero chance of killing me
-ogres are stronger than dragons?
-terrible battle system
-super dumb AI.

Its addicting dont get me wrong, but its far from a great game. I said it before and I'll say it again those elder scrolls RPG's need a huge fucking change. Because that stuff got boring back when I played Daggerfall all day.

Hire Juices Bethesda.

wwm0nkey

Kind of looks like someone took a torch to his crotch or something. I like the design though, can't wait to see it in engine

EDIT: AR!?!? Noooooo..

Another pic, from the show floor-

6f9d4f4a.jpg

AR, Brute and Halo Legends Frederic are all very interesting. (I doubt Halo Legends Fred means anything but who knows.)

As for the armour, I think it looks pretty crappy, but im going to wait to see the Halo 4 game screenshots, never can tell anything with a toy. Its the general game art design I care more about anyway.

I think they just put a Halo 3 AR in his hands for a placeholder weapon.
*Pick up/back up only, no starting..

We can only pray.

Honestly, why not go the Gears route and have 3 starting weapons to choose from and allow players to choose between something like AR/BR/DMR. By doing so it would eliminate the frustration of having to start with a weapon you dont like, and allow for more unique voting options. Also, even though you can start with them doesn't mean they shouldn't be placed on the map.

The AR Chief's armour looks slightly different...

Yeah it has a softer, more cartoony look.

AR, Brute and Halo Legends Frederic are all very interesting. (I doubt Halo Legends Fred means anything but who knows.)

As for the armour, I think it looks pretty crappy, but im going to wait to see the Halo 4 game screenshots, never can tell anything with a toy. Its the general game art design I care more about anyway.

Brute Captain is from the Halo Universe Line. Legends Fred is interesting its just going to be a repaint of Legends John but it could be a call to Fred in Halo 4

Assault rifle?! Come on mannnnn let that shit go

Hope is foolish. Split in starting weapons for Halo 4 confirmed, making balancing the sandbox more difficult and matchmaking a nightmare. Fun.

Just played Uplink in TS. Jaw hit the table when I saw it on the voting screen. Followed by Vanilla on Sword Base, which should honestly be used in game design classes as an example of doing everything wrong in map design.

JESUS H, Vanilla on Sword Base again. Quit.

Pennybags

Uuuuugggly, and not in the good way.

I like the Mark V best because it looks like what you'd expect a soldier wearing a tank to appear as.

FyreWulff

I went to gaming side to see the other Halo toy thread and someone put an endgame spoiler for Skyward Sword right in their goddamn thread title. They even included the words "at the end" so you can't even assume it's from earlier in the game when you meet them the first time.

Fucking christ. I hope that fucker eats a ban.

CyReN

stly, why not go the Gears route and have 3 starting weapons to choose from and allow players to choose between something like AR/BR/DMR. By doing so it would eliminate the frustration of having to start with a weapon you dont like, and allow for more unique voting options. Also, even though you can start with them doesn't mean they shouldn't be placed on the map.

Because the AR players would get destroyed constantly by the ranged weapon and would complain. I have no issues with people liking AR it's just a horrible starting weapon. B line it to another person and melee.

I have no idea what 343i intentions are but something like a TS playlist then a TS Pro (you guessed it) something not quite MLG but not as shitty as Arena for people who don't like the trimmed down version MLG has so both party can be happy and in their own "bubble".

I went to gaming side to see the other Halo toy thread and someone put an endgame spoiler for Skyward Sword right in their goddamn thread title. They even included the words "at the end" so you can't even assume it's from earlier in the game when you meet them the first time.

Fucking christ. I hope that fucker eats a ban.
PM'd a mod?

Because the AR players would get destroyed constantly by the ranged weapon and would complain. I have no issues with people liking AR it's just a horrible starting weapon. B line it to another person and melee.

I have no idea what 343i intentions are but something like a TS playlist then a TS Pro (you guessed it) something not quite MLG but not as shitty as Arena for people who don't like the trimmed down version MLG has so both party can be happy and in their own "bubble".

I still think that's a terrible idea, it just fragments the game. The should have you spawn with two weapons in all gametypes, playlists (standard ones, not inlcuding swat and mlg obviously), etc. There would be a BR/DMR/Pistol weapon (the headshot weapon with a scope) and a secondary automatic weapon (AR/SMG ish). That way, you don't fragment the game, and you can focus on balancing the weapon sandbox around always starting with that combo. It would just make for a better core game, and a much much better matchmaking experience.

CyReN

I still think that's a terrible idea, it just fragments the game. The should have you spawn with two weapons in all gametypes, playlists (standard ones, not inlcuding swat and mlg obviously), etc. There would be a BR/DMR/Pistol weapon (the headshot weapon with a scope) and a secondary automatic weapon (AR/SMG ish). That way, you don't fragment the game, and you can focus on balancing the weapon sandbox around always starting with that combo. It would just make for a better core game, and a much much better matchmaking experience.

I'd be cool with that and could see it working well like the pistol backup in Reach did.

Argh. I missed this rant against 343i or Halo 4. People really judging the look of the Chief because of a toy? lol.

The armor delivers some amazing basic for an awesome armor. Can't wait to see the Chief at the end of Halo 4.

GhaleonEB

I'm just calling it as I see it. This is all we have so far to go without making any further assumptions.

I'm still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. When the marketing machine starts and we get our first look at the final designs, and not just some images of a $10 toy, things might be different.

I'm not sure anything can save the armor design, saving a CEA-style diving catch. As you said, it doesn't look like the Chief. It looks like some weird mix of stuff we'd grab from the armory.

Edit: new pics look a wee better, but that's because his arms are covering up the front of the armor. Nice to see the AR.

Argh. I missed this rant against 343i or Halo 4. People really judging the look of the Chief because of a toy? lol.

The armor delivers some amazing basic for an awesome armor. Can't wait to see the Chief at the end of Halo 4.
What?
You're implying they're changing it just so they can design it for a bigger change at the end of the game? Then why not just leave it as his Mark VI and have the change at the end of Halo 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom