• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
ec2d0002.jpg

Seriously, the design looks amazing in this pic, love it. BUT, we're never going to see it 90% of the time, so it really doesn't matter.

Tell that to Over who's pleading with their Twitter account to change it.

Wasn't the Anniversary Chief changed PRIOR to the initial media release? What's to say the same thing hasn't happened here?

To be honest, I can't really say I care for the Anniversary maps that much. Although the main reason for that is the absolutely ridiculous weapon placement, and not the maps' design themselves.
Back on topic, I do like the new chief armor. Looks foreign yet a little familiar at the same time. Nice job there 343

with forge, i dont get why they dont adjust weapon location. i find mlg does it right for the most part. think of how much better zealot and countdown would play.

edit: was just watching some pros streaming potential new maps. excited to see powerhouse king. does anyone know what they changed? same with beaver creek (assuming they left it the same)

Havok

To be honest, I can't really say I care for the Anniversary maps that much. Although the main reason for that is the absolutely ridiculous weapon placement, and not the maps' design themselves.
You really think so? There are a few outliers that are pretty dumb like Battle Canyon, but I don't find most of them to be offensive. In a lot of cases, though, I wish they'd just marry the new geometry additions from the updated versions to the original weapon placement. That way, you wouldn't end up with a bittersweet Breakneck having pretty neat additional hallways marred by sniper placement that heavily favors the offensive team and the Banshee/Revenant fight that dominates the beginning of that map currently.

Redford

aka Cabbie
is it just me or did people forget how to shoot in this game?
i keep either dying from homing/proximity grenades (i can swear that these grenades follow me and blow up the minute they get in proximity of me) or sprint melee.

just before i was 1 shot and i completely destroyed a guy with overshield. 6 perfect shots with the magnum (in the anniversary playlist)

Pretty much my experience in FFA all weekend. The chasing has always been horrible, my grenade back-bounce has been perfected. :p

Some are just new players, but you can always tell the ones who have been sprint-meleeing for a long time apart.

Back on topic, I do like the new chief armor. Looks foreign yet a little familiar at the same time. Nice job there 343

The Anniversary version of the maps have their CE weapon placements, which are for the most part, pretty good. Certain Affinity's 'Reach' versions of the maps though, have some downright perplexing weapon placements. (7 power weapons on Beaver Creek. WUT?!)

You really think so? There are a few outliers that are pretty dumb like Battle Canyon, but I don't find most of them to be offensive. In a lot of cases, though, I wish they'd just marry the new geometry additions from the updated versions to the original weapon placement. That way, you wouldn't end up with a bittersweet Breakneck having pretty neat additional hallways marred by sniper placement that heavily favors the offensive team and the Banshee/Revenant fight that dominates the beginning of that map currently.

Agreed, I haven't played on them much (DLC in MM LOL), but when I have I've noticed that CA's updates to the geometry of the maps is pretty damn good. It's just the weapon placement that is outrageous. Isn't there something like an absurd 5 shotguns on High Noon?

derp

I hope he posts some of his fantastic designs

That's a pretty derp thing to say too. There's nothing wrong with critiques of things that we ourselves cannot create. My stance is that of what can possibly be done before the release? Is the backlash deserved or are we just not able to handle changes to an iconic character like Master Chief? Are changes possible or even necessary?

Karl2177

The Anniversary version of the maps have their CE weapon placements, which are for the most part, pretty good. Certain Affinity's 'Reach' versions of the maps though, have some downright perplexing weapon placements. (7 power weapons on Beaver Creek. WUT?!)

BUT THERE ARE ADDED TUNNELS. IT'S JUST FINE.

GhaleonEB

I'm 20 years old today, and that sounds way too old for my liking. :lol

343, can I haz Master Chief redesign for my birthday? You can let him keep the megaphone of death.
Happy birthday!
ec2d0002.jpg

Seriously, the design looks amazing in this pic, love it. BUT, we're never going to see it 90% of the time, so it really doesn't matter.

It does look better there. But I still find the separation on the chest armor pretty goofy looking.

blah blah blah

in the updated version, where are the snipers located. i cant seem to find one of them

Redford

aka Cabbie

Is that including the pipes? Never really considered them PW, since no one picks them up. (I do though)

daedalius

That's a pretty derp thing to say too. There's nothing wrong with critiques of things that we ourselves cannot create. My stance is that of what can possibly be done before the release? Is the backlash deserved or are we just not able to handle changes to an iconic character like Master Chief? Are changes possible or even necessary?

Its a toy.

I'd go by the art more than a toy.

Its not even like the Reach statue, it has to have goofy joints and everything, because its a pose-able toy.

Obviously Fronk needs to post some renders.

It does look better there. But I still find the separation on the chest armor pretty goofy looking.

Admittedly, in Mk6 armor, he'd have a hell of a time bending over.

Actually looks like he can move around in this one.

Havok

in the updated version, where are the snipers located. i cant seem to find one of them
Snipers on High Noon are on the small center bridges that cross the trench, one per bridge.

Nobody seems to know where they are, leading to me having 24 sniper rounds the entire match. Its a problem. I thought Battle Canyon's sniper was in the same location as Beaver Creek's. Is it not?

Is that including the pipes? Never really considered them PW, since no one picks them up. (I do though)

Yes included, and it's definitely a power weapon. I think they aren't picked up on Battle Canyon because people don't know they are there to be honest.

GhaleonEB

Admittedly, in Mk6 armor, he'd have a hell of a time bending over.

Nah, there was a separation at the waist.

Master_Chief-H3.png

I get what they're going for with the cross bar, and I may get used to it. But rather than seeing the armor as a stylish whole, I see this big bar in the middle.

I wish they'd go back to the kind of streamlined armor the Chief had from 1-3. Reach's style is very chunky, and Halo 4 seems to be carrying that onward.

Snipers on High Noon are on the small center bridges that cross the trench, one per bridge.

Nobody seems to know where they are, leading to me having 24 sniper rounds the entire match. Its a problem.

i was talking about battled canyon. can never seem to find both (i think red side i cant find)

there are 2 snipes on high noon? never really played high noon though

the pro pipes are beast in the right hands

Havok

i was talking about battled canyon. can never seem to find both (i think red side i cant find)

there are 2 snipes on high noon? never really played high noon though
Sorry, didn't read thoroughly enough. Battle Canyon only has a sniper on blue side, same location as Beaver Creek's (as far as I know). The idea is that blue gets sniper while red gets rockets.

I'm actually going to go check, I haven't played these updated versions enough to be certain. Edit: yep.

Sorry, didn't read thoroughly enough. Battle Canyon only has a sniper on blue side, same location as Beaver Creek's (as far as I know). The idea is that blue gets sniper while red gets rockets.

I'm actually going to go check, I haven't played these updated versions enough to be certain.

that explains a lot lol. i always assumed 2. and to be honest, i hate battle canyon. i liked having easy access to the teleports. in the original i always go through them at start. surprises the hell out of the other team

daedalius

So... Um. Hunters in Halo 4?

Maybe it just has Halo 4 on the box when its supposed to be Halo Universe...?

Kinda want new enemies in H4, but I guess running into a few covies wouldn't be too bad. They finally decided to cover the eels on their belly with armor, maybe they fired those eels that made the previous armor since who knows how many countless eels died from belly shots.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Huh, thought I had at least a 1.75 or so with the GL (only 1.67).

I don't consider it a PW in the sense that no one rushes or fights for it like the others. I'd put it on the same level as the needler
which I suck with
. It's definitely my trusty companion in FFA on Swordbase though.

Huh, thought I had at least a 1.75 or so with the GL (only 1.67).

I don't consider it a PW in the sense that no one rushes or fights for it like the others. I'd put it on the same level as the needler
which I suck with

cant compare the gl to the needler lol. mauler or brute shot perhaps. no one goes for them because in all honesty i think either most people suck with them or dont know where they are. it still amazes me how so few people i play no where and/or when power weapons spawn.

GhaleonEB

I stand by my assertion that it would be difficult to bend over in that, the new version looks a bit more ergonomically designed.

The closeness of the two bars on the waist makes me think it's the other way around. But regardless, my point is one of aesthetics. I find the separated bars distracting and chunky.

Havok

which I suck with
It really depends on the map. Nobody's going to rush to the Grenade Launcher on Battle Canyon because the map looks like somebody just busted a Power Weapon Pinata open over the place and there are weapons in more contested areas to rush to. People totally rush for it on something like Powerhouse or Sword Base, in my experience. It's not at the rocket launcher level, closer to something like the shotty.

Unfortunately, scarce but sensible power weapon placement isn't really there in the Anniversary updates.

blamite

As far as I'm concerned this is the best looking armor that will ever appear in any Halo game (or trailer, whatever) ever. For all time.

This is definitely the most convincing image of the Halo 4 armor. The shoulder pads still look shitty, but the helmet, chest, and arms loom pretty good. Fix the back and shoulders, and for the love of god get rid of the individual finger guards, and I'll satisfied with this look. It's much better without battle damage, too.

Havok

As far as I'm concerned this is the best looking armor that will ever appear in any Halo game (or trailer, whatever) ever. For all time.
If only Halo 3's armor actually looked like that instead of looking like blurry plastic with a melted bit on one side of the chest from where a kid had some fun on the Fourth of July. Unfortunate that they changed the material from that neat looking concrete.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
With the big ass AR being in the way, and if you squint, it does kinda look like the Chief. A bit. =P

Also notice the AR chief here doesn't have the frosting on his lower legs and there's no damage on the right hand side of the chest piece either.

DSCF6869.JPG

So there's two separate Chief figures, rather than one with a gun swapped out.

What I don't understand is why Chief would be wearing this new armour in the cryotube when we seen him enter with different armour and how does the chest piece later get repaired?

Assuming the "damage" isn't cosmetic artistic fluff.

Redford

aka Cabbie
It really depends on the map. Nobody's going to rush to the Grenade Launcher on Battle Canyon because the map looks like somebody just busted a Power Weapon Pinata open over the place and there are weapons in more contested areas to rush to. People totally rush for it on something like Powerhouse or Sword Base, in my experience. It's not at the rocket launcher level, closer to something like the shotty.

Unfortunately, scarce but sensible power weapon placement isn't really there in the Anniversary updates.

Was definately pissed upon seeing the Timberland laser. Does that coexist with two RLs as well? (I don't wp check in Forge)

Havok

Was definately pissed upon seeing the Timberland laser. Does that coexist with two RLs as well?
Yep, they're in the side structures. Fortunately, nobody ever goes after the laser on that map. I was very skeptical of its inclusion when they first revealed it, but even when somebody does have it, there's enough tree cover that it's never overwhelming like it was on say, Valhalla or Avalanche or Renegade.

Really enjoyed customs earlier guys. Those flag matches on battle canyon and the pit were pretty tough. I'm curious to see the MLG variants though. Jump Rope, Destruction Derby and Indiana Jones were great as always :p

I must see how cheap Halo Wars is. Curse you limited edition box for making it so awkward to take the disc out without damaging it!

Redford

aka Cabbie
Decide for yourself. =P

It's not the Reach AR for sure and it's missing the green side light of the Halo 3 AR.

Gotta say, the Reach AR spoiled me in terms of aesthetics. I just do not like the classic design. Looks even less rifle-y than it plays.

Sidenote, my little cousin has a super soaker that has the same little bullpup-style hoop handle. Kind of cool to hold. :p

Decide for yourself. =P

Assault_Rifle_Comparisons_sm.jpg

It's not the Reach AR for sure and it's missing the green side light of the Halo 3 AR.

Looks the most like the Halo 3 AR I think. *Shudder*

The Reach AR looks so much better than the 3 and CE one.

I don't really give a shit about the armor. Whatever it looks like, I'll get used to it. I'm more concerned about seeing the Hunter doll. Another Covenant species or vehicle confirmed to be in the game when I had so much hope after the concept art trailer and the apparent initial setting. I know this is preemptive, but I get significantly less excited about the campaign when I see those things. Hopefully I'm wrong/still the multiplayer is more important anyways to be honest.

edit-

hhmm.. actually looks kinda cool in the other 2 pics you edited in. Growing on me.

Agreed, these made me feel a lot more positive about the look.

Does that AR look any different from the old AR's? Ahh fuck it, I don't really care lol

At first I thought it was just the Halo 3 AR, but after looking at images of McFarlanes other ARs it seems to be a new sculpt, the back part seems to give it away.

Looks the most like the Halo 3 AR I think. *Shudder*

The Reach AR looks so much better than the 3 and CE one.
Agreed.. Im thinking they gave it the Halo 3 look to have consistency with the end of the game. I imagine there are subtle differences all over but its basically the Halo 3 look. Heres hoping we can get the Reach AR look in MP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom