• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think of it this way:

When I meet and hang out with Halo community members at events like PAX (or anyone, for that matter), there are two subjects I don't bring up:
- Politics
- Religion

Anything else is pretty much fair game. I take the same approach to posting in Halo threads. Just my personal rule, not trying to force that on anyone. Continue posting what you will, but I'll sit that discussion out.

(None of my posts today have been directed at anyone in particular, btw.)
-------

I miss High Ground. Those sets look awesome.

CyReN

I don't agree with Marty bringing that stuff on twitter, but it is his right.

I only follow the 343i team on twitter:D

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
No one should bring up politics and religion unless you're in a place specifically designated for those topics. I mean, it always leads to shit. Always always always. So just don't even mention it.

Jeez, I have been nagging too much lately. Here's something more positive:

I just bought a sweet video camera to take to PAX East. Shenanigans will be filmed and shared. Maybe an awkward interview or two with developers. More high-quality footage of Hypertrooper freaking out over reveals.

Eventually, I'd like to be legit enough to get a Media badge. Maybe by the time PAX Prime rolls around...

FyreWulff

Jeez, I have been nagging too much lately. Here's something more positive:

I just bought a sweet video camera to take to PAX East. Shenanigans will be filmed and shared. Maybe an awkward interview or two with developers. More high-quality footage of Hypertrooper freaking out over reveals.

Eventually, I'd like to be legit enough to get a Media badge. Maybe by the time PAX Prime rolls around...

Bring it to PAX Prime.

We'll use it for.. shenanigans

In lieu of the armor – which I'm at the point of giving up about it and accepting it – the GOOD news to come out of yesterday is that the AR is going to be in Halo 4. Likely.
tumblr_ly7tmqt6HQ1qfoyai.gif

Now confirm that pro-pipe, 343.

Homeboyd

Why can't we just have a good gun and call it the AR? Just because we're used to that crap gun that is the iconic gun of Halo, doesn't mean it has to be crap. Give me a BR, call it an AR, I don't care...

Or attach laser beams to its head or something.

Overdoziz

Banned
Why can't we just have a good gun and call it the AR? Just because we're used to that crap gun that is the iconic gun of Halo, doesn't mean it has to be crap. Give me a BR, call it an AR, I don't care...

Or attach laser beams to its head or something.
Automatic Rifles (except for the Needler) need to go. They've always been poop, especially in combination with the ridiculous lunge that melee has since Halo 2.

You can hope for it, but you know it's never going to happen.
At least don't make them starting weapons.

Automatic Rifles (except for the Needler) need to go. They've always been poop, especially in combination with the ridiculous lunge that melee has since Halo 2.

Automatic weapons need to stay, they are fine.

If you get killed with an AR, you got killed with an AR, someone used it in a better situation than you could have used your BR in.

Besides close range spamming a single shot gun takes about as much skill as spamming an AR.

AR's are fun, people like them, they add variety.

I played 15 TS games yesterday and played on a DLC map 5 times.

It would have been 6 times but someone failed to load Condemned somehow.

Party of 3

Also got this legit on Condemned:

1oCLiGJhbC9MDxt0GltTWTVCL2FjaC8wLzU4AAAAAOfn5-mhVWw=.jpg

How the hell are the experiences with that so polarizing?

After playing Condemned in TS the other day, I went to check how many times I've played a DLC map in TS. You got 5 DLC games yesterday, I've played 6 DLC games in TS in the history of Reach! All of those except for the Condemned game the other day were before 343 took over and increased the DLC weightings. That's what the increase in weightings has gotten me, 1 game on a DLC map. I've played with a TO4, by myself, doesn't matter, DLC will still not come up.

I've never played a game of Anchor 9 in TS, the only DLC map pre-anniversary that is a definite 4v4 map.

If anyone wants a zero bloom King of the Hill gametype for customs:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=24830002&player=Killa KC

I had no idea this existed, anyone have Zero Bloom oddball?

There is no ZB oddball (yet).

Then you'll be happy
if you go into the right playlists
New Halo game, new set of wolves howling at the moon.

Sweet, let's fragment the shit out of a game again making for another nightmarish matchmaking experience (and a 100 playlists).

Automatic weapons need to stay, they are fine.

If you get killed with an AR, you got killed with an AR, someone used it in a better situation than you could have used your BR in.

Besides close range spamming a single shot gun takes about as much skill as spamming an AR.

AR's are fun, people like them, they add variety.

Gotta see who can mash their trigger faster bro!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
There are a lot of SC2 features I wish would come to Halo. That deep spectator mode is at the top of my list.

feel

AR as backup for life! <3

getout.gif[img][/QUOTE]
He's not wrong. It's not like the stick acceleration, aim magnetism and camera behavior change from weapon to weapon. It takes the same skill to keep the reticule on someone. Get out of the AR's effective range (which should be just about point blank) or juke your way out of the enemy's reticule instead of making excuses.

Part of a gametype : setting the starting weapon.

There should only ever be one (or a pair) of starting weapons.

You balance the game around always having that starting weapon(s), almost guaranteeing a better sandbox balance. It also makes matchmaking a far better experience for both the user and is easier to manage.

At a certain point, you are paying for the game for the developer's vision. Trying to make the game 100 different games just makes the game the jack of all trades and the master of none. (totally stole that jack of all trades thing from someone here haha)

A heatshot weapon with a scope and an automatic short range weapon to always start seems like a good idea to me.

ElRenoRaven

I think of it this way:

When I meet and hang out with Halo community members at events like PAX (or anyone, for that matter), there are two subjects I don't bring up:
- Politics
- Religion

Anything else is pretty much fair game. I take the same approach to posting in Halo threads. Just my personal rule, not trying to force that on anyone. Continue posting what you will, but I'll sit that discussion out.

(None of my posts today have been directed at anyone in particular, btw.)
-------

I miss High Ground. Those sets look awesome.

I agree. For some reason Politics really brings out the worst in people. I hate it when people start talking it because civility has been lost on both sides at lot of the time.

I don't agree with Marty bringing that stuff on twitter, but it is his right.

I only follow the 343i team on twitter:D

I'll disagree there. People bring up politics on twitter all the damn time. As mentioned before it was his personal Twitter. I have no problem with him speaking his mind on it. Hell I don't agree with half his political views but I'm not going to say he can't speak his mind and I'm not going to (not trying to single anyone out mind you cause I like almost everyone here) say he's an idiot or that he needs to shut the hell up, or things like that because those are his beliefs. That's the one thing that angers me about political discussion. Everyone's like believe like me or your a fucking retarded idiot that needs to shut the fuck up.

No one should bring up politics and religion unless you're in a place specifically designated for those topics. I mean, it always leads to shit. Always always always. So just don't even mention it.

I tend to agree with you Tashi. Even then though so many let their political divides color their views of others to the point that it ends up ruining friendships. I've seen it on forums I used to post at with friends. People got so heated in the political forums there that they would bring their disdain for each others political views into the other forums instead of leaving it there in those. One banned political discussion outright but by then it was too late. The site died. The other is now a wasteland with no activity. These were good friends too at these sites.

That's one reason I tend to subscribe to a policy of keep two things to yourself. Your religion and your political stances. Sadly I'm guilty of not always managing to do that but I try to. Tends to keep friends easier that way. Now that all said let's get back to bitching about armor and playing some Halo.

senador

Banned
Just make it AR/BR starts and be done with it.

Yeah, this.

I'd just want the AR to be more balanced. It shouldn't kill at range unless burst firing and lower the auto-aim and magnetism.

If we get an auto-plasma weapon, I hope its like the plasma repeater from the Reach beta.

Could weapons like the DMR and BR co-exist in the same game and perform appropriately yet differently? Or rather, would people be accepting of that? I personally wouldn't mind if they had enough subtle difference to both be useful in different scenarios.

I said something similar to this a while ago. Pre-selection veto like SC2.

mapstrike1.jpg

Something like this would be nice, I assume it doesn't stop you from playing certain maps, but simply tries to list them higher/lower? I would also like a "match me with DLC first" preference.

He's not wrong. It's not like the stick acceleration, aim magnetism and camera behavior change from weapon to weapon. It takes the same skill to keep the reticule on someone. Get out of the AR's effective range (which should be just about point blank) or juke your way out of the enemy's reticule instead of making excuses.
I think the bigger difference isn't magnetism, it's the size of the reticule. The same way how it's harder to hit someone with a sniper rather than an AR.

daedalius

Just make it AR/BR starts and be done with it.

If it was this 100% of the time, I'd be fine with it.

Could weapons like the DMR and BR co-exist in the same game and perform appropriately yet differently? Or rather, would people be accepting of that? I personally wouldn't mind if they had enough subtle difference to both be useful in different scenarios.

I don't think so, would just muddy the waters and introduce balancing issues. What would the differences even be?

kylej

Banned
As someone with a Poli Sci degree and currently in a graduate environmental politics course, I can tell you that talking politics isn't fun until people start threatening other people's lives. That's when shit gets good.

Overdoziz

Banned
AR as backup for life! <3

Trying to hit someone who's strafing is harder with the small reticule of the DMR than with the huge-ass screen-covering one of the AR. Also, missing shots with the DMR is punished heavier than missing some with the AR. And then of course there's the final headshot which makes it ten times more challenging than holding down the trigger of the AR vaguely in the direction of the enemy.

I'm talking AR vs AR and DMR vs DMR by the way. I'm not saying one is more powerful than the other, just that one is easier to use than the other. Something which ruins it for me. It's a boring, unrewarding and unsatisfying weapon. Getting a perfect 5-shot or the perfect last headshot feels so much more satisfying than being the person who started holding down the trigger of the AR first.

Something like this would be nice, I assume it doesn't stop you from playing certain maps, but simply tries to list them higher/lower? I would also like a "match me with DLC first" preference.
I think a match me with DLC option is basically a must for Halo 4 at this point given the disastrous DLC implementation to his date.

I will certainly be holding off on initially purchasing Halo 4 to see how the implementation is.

zap

Frankie could walk onto the stage on the 29th, say, "BR/AR starts in all playlists." and sit down. It would be the best Halo reveal ever.

I'm talking AR vs AR and DMR vs DMR by the way. I'm not saying one is more powerful than the other, just that one is easier to use than the other. Something which ruins it for me. It's a boring, unrewarding and unsatisfying weapon. Getting a perfect 5-shot or the perfect last headshot feels so much more satisfying than being the person who started holding down the trigger of the AR first.

Which is exactly why you can't simply get rid of it. People need to have that easy weapon to use. Of course I think if Ranked was to come back the need for AR starts would be below 0 but for the rest of the playlists, there needs to be a weapon as easy to use as the AR.

As someone with a Poli Sci degree and currently in a graduate environmental politics course, I can tell you that talking politics isn't fun until people start threatening other people's lives. That's when shit gets good.

Let's just get back to threatening other people's lives over inconsequential shit like vidya.

Trying to hit someone who's strafing is harder with the small reticule of the DMR than with the huge-ass screen-covering one of the AR. Also, missing shots with the DMR is punished heavier than missing some with the AR. And then of course there's the final headshot which makes it ten times more challenging than holding down the trigger of the AR vaguely in the direction of the enemy.

I understand, I ran into this the other night. I actually asked heckfu and zerofire straight up if they could name something the game got right. Seems like everything has a flaw.

Which is exactly why you can't simply get rid of it. People need to have that easy weapon to use. Of course I think if Ranked was to come back the need for AR starts would be below 0 but for the rest of the playlists, there needs to be a weapon as easy to use as the AR.

Ease of use is one thing, the fact that someone with more skill utilizing the DMR can't outkill them most of the time is a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom