• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where'd you see that? I'm with you in not expecting anything.. ever...

Just wondering what made you say that.

One of my favorite observations on GAF is, and I don't just mean about me, 'if company x is silent on y, it must mean z' or, 'that denial is couched in such a way that infers....'

When the reality is often far different. For example, sometimes my silence on our activity is either boredom, physical absence, or in more sophisticated moments, to protect broader issues, such as, for example, a third party or Microsoft Studios thing that has nothing to do with Halo.

The object lesson being, don't assume anything and then my son, you will not be disappoint.

This can mean anything, and he may just mean dont read into his lack of denial too much all the time, but even so..

K/D was never relevant. It's so dependent on what you play and who you play with.

It's relevant on a weapons basis, especially if someone is trying to make an argument about x, y or z being shit and you're like "is that why I'm positive with it?" Not too long ago people were telling me the AR was shit, and I'd just post my stats with it as icing on the cake, to prove no, it's not, used in the proper situations it's strong, possibly too strong. Plus it's fun to post top 5 weapons, my 3rd is frags.

That only makes high K/Ds irrelevant.

Heh.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I should back off of saying TU sucks, I was in an especially bad mood right then.

Everyone playing TU is so much better than me. :(

You wanna play sometime? Not to be braggy, but I can give you some tips if you'd like. Although I'm probably not the best person to talk to about this (my k/d is 1.5, if it even matters. Though some guys here are miles ahead of me).

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
It's relevant on a weapons basis, especially if someone is trying to make an argument about x, y or z being shit and you're like "is that why I'm positive with it?" Not too long ago people were telling me the AR was shit, and I'd just post my stats with it as icing on the cake, to prove no, it's not, used in the proper situations it's strong, possibly too strong. Plus it's fun to post top 5 weapons, my 3rd is frags.
It's time!

IGIKA.png

Makes sense, I was speaking of Overall KD.

@ bold: You have no Halo honor.
frags is 4 for me

It's time!

IGIKA.png

Holy sword monkey!

Mine:
top5.png

Yeah shadow, give more TU settings a shot, play with some gaffers, see how it goes. TU is definitely a lot better than Vanilla settings, it just takes a little getting used to.

Karl2177

Getting sniped halfway across the map by someone with an AR, and I can't do anything about it because the DMR is practically useless save for when it's scoped in=ridiculous.

As for 789shadow, I agree with a lot of your comments about Reach. Although I like TU quite a bit;don't understand how I ever enjoyed vanilla. I also agree with Letters, k/d and stats are irrelevant when critiquing this game. Some matches are downright atrocious even when I'm doing well, and sometimes I have a blast when I'm losing. HaloGAF, even with all of their insane halo skills, are not the only people who play this game. That said, I still want a game that is satisfying for both skilled players and lesser skilled players, obviously. (Not calling shadow a bad player, by the way) The problem is that Reach doesn't do this very well.

So when you are saying headshot registration is crappy, I shouldn't be able to post headshot stats? No. Just no.

I know how you feel right now. Finding out that your most hated weapon is in your top 5. It's place 5. I hate frags much more than anything else in Reach's weaponry. Trying to be cool and not hating them but... it's impossible to get on a neutral ground with them. Even I can't blame only the grenades. Have to blame movement too.

I know how you feel right now. Finding out that your most hated weapon is in your top 5. It's place 5. I hate frags much more than anything else in Reach's weaponry. Trying to be cool and not hating them but... it's impossible to get on a neutral ground with them. Even I can't blame only the grenades. Have to blame movement too.

It's definitely movement and the fact that nades seem to have some built in "follow the player trajectory."

789shadow

Banned
I should also mention that I think the sword is just a little bit overpowered. Especially the lunge. I've seen times where the sword guy just teleports forward. It's so broken the game doesn't even bother making it look like it makes sense.

I should also mention that I think the sword is just a little bit overpowered. Especially the lunge. I've seen times where the sword guy just teleports forward. It's so broken the game doesn't even bother making it look like it makes sense.

I wouldn't mind lunging going away in general.

Yeah. I don't know how the game does it but your grenades are special. You can stick everyone with every grenade. Was it a pre-order bonus? ;)

I just like to spread the love.

343I taking out the block vs the sword was of the most baffling components of the TU.

Trey

343I taking out the block vs the sword was of the most baffling components of the TU.

They said it was because it was inconsistent and was too harsh a counter against the sword. Didn't make it power weapon-y enough.

All of my issues with the TU stem from how it handled CQC. I dislike nearly every change.

Everything else is fine in my book.

Sword block was too inconsistent. I'm happy that it's gone. The Sword is overpowered but that doesn't justify a shitty mechanic like that.

I find it hard to reason how every issue someone has in this game can be filed under "too scrubby/lowered the skill gap," but something that took actual fighting game levels of timing to pull off (sword block) can be considered shitty just because netcode made it inconsistent.

The sword isn't over powered, it's just a terrible, no-skill weapon. It has the most herp derp flowchart toward a kill in the game. The only way to stop it is to not engage it, or have a shotgun. It slows combat just as effectively as AAs. There is nothing dynamic about it. There was a smidgen of depth with sword block in the mix, but that's now gone.

TheOddOne

The majority of GAF doesn't know anything about Halo. That thread right there? That's proof.
I love that they can recite epic JRPG's and Metal Gear's stories, yet think Halo story is convoluted. I love Metal Gear and all, but the story is just way too out there and ridiculous. Same about some of the JRPG's, basic ass story becomes masterpiece.

In other news, today is opposite day in where I had a good match on Powerhouse of all maps and fucking hated getting donged on my favorite map Sword Base. Still, fuck Powerhouse.

1. BR: 5,000 kills (35%, 1.83)
2. Pistol: 1,946 (16%, 2.83)
3. Melee: 1,374 (10%, 1.14)
4. Sniper: 1,308 (9%, 1.63)
5. Frags: 860 (6%, 1.16)

13. Assault Rifle: 142 (1%, 0.21)

Fracas

#fuckonami
So when you are saying headshot registration is crappy, I shouldn't be able to post headshot stats? No. Just no.

Wait, what? I didn't say headshot registration is bad. I just said that stats aren't necessarily indicative of skill.

edit: Ah okay, misunderstood you there. Yeah, headshot registration is just fine, maybe it is just him missing

I love that they can recite epic JRPG's and Metal Gear's stories, yet think Halo story is convoluted. I love Metal Gear and all, but the story is just way too out there and ridiculous. Same about some of the JRPG's, basic ass story becomes masterpiece.

In other news, today is opposite day in where I had a good match on Powerhouse of all maps and fucking hated getting donged on my favorite map Sword Base. Still, fuck Powerhouse.

Opinions that are wrong.

Overdoziz

Banned
(I like grifball)
You are not the person I thought you were!

Also:
1. DMR - 26,366 kills (35%), 11,503 deaths (32%), 2.29 k/d
2. Sniper Rifle - 11,164 kills (15%), 3,351 deaths (9%), 3.33 k/d
3. Melee - 7,620 kills (10%), 5,392 deaths (15%, 1.41 k/d
4. Pistol - 5,234 kills (7%), 1,880 deaths (5%), 2.78 k/d
5. Frag Grenade - 3,696 kills (5%), 2,502 deaths (7%), 1.48 k/d
13. Assault Rifle - 731 kills (1%), 2,102 deaths (6%), 0.35 k/d

Yeah... Guess GDC it is then. Wouldve been the same date either way (3/5)

Yeah.. Even though it seems Halo 4 wont be at the Spring Showcase I really can't see it being too much longer til we see something. With all of use anticipating something around the corner Im sure if our wait is to be much longer our dreams would have been crushed much harder. Then again, who knows. Hell, maybe they dont know, it possible they are still in the process of deciding how and when to show it off. Lets hope for GDC though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom