• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
dat song
• Squad Slayer retired.
uhh...
• Super Slayer added.

After analyzing the Team Slayer voting data that took place the first two weeks of February, we were able to draw several instructive conclusions. Most importantly we learned that:

A significant portion of Halo: Reach players enjoy the Title Update settings.

A significant portion of Halo: Reach players enjoy the original Halo: Reach settings.

A significant portion of Halo: Reach players simply enjoy playing Halo: Reach.
Or... people mostly voted for whatever was on top or the DMR gametype.
To make sure all three groups have a Team Slayer option that fits their preferred way of playing the game, we are adding a new playlist called Super Slayer. Super Slayer is a replica of Team Slayer with the Title Update changes included. Team Slayer will still be available with its original settings intact, and Super Slayer will peacefully coexist with it, happily fulfilling your Slayer-related Title Update needs.
Except now there isn't a 5v5 slayer playlist. I didn't ask for this. No one did.

• Bleedthrough functionality removed from TU game types.
Judas Iscariot.
• Team Objective team size updated to 5v5.
...Why?
• BTB Heavies added to Big Team Battle.
Tumbleweeds.

Considering the issue with BTB maps when Reach launched was the rampant vehicle usage alongside the maps sucking. But, this doesn't help anybody.

Overdoziz

Banned
Evade gone?
Bleedthrough gone?
Juices pissed?

343 made my day.

Edit:
Squad Slayer removed and Team Slayer TU added? The fuck? I don't want to play on shitty Forge World and I don't want AR starts either.
5v5 Objective makes no sense either.
343, will there ever be a matchmaking update where there aren't questionable decisions?

Yeah I wouldn't worry about Halo 4 being such a mix of different stuff. Halo 4 is 343 Industries' game and it will be their vision from the beginning.

PAX East panel schedule. Doesn't look like 343 has one...

The few Halo-related panels I noticed:

Rooster Teeth
Friday 1:00pm - 2:00pm
Join the Rooster Teeth crew for an hour of fun, including new content, Q+A with the staff, and the most clever humor you will ever experience- so much so that everything in your life will seem dull and boring after this. We've been to every PAX since the dawn of time, and they probably wouldn't keep inviting us back if we had a crappy panel, so if you know what's good for you… be there.
Panelists include: The rooster teeth folks

From Lurker to Leader: A Frags to Riches Story
Friday 8:30pm - 9:30pm
Online communities have become an extremely popular method of interaction for gamers, but with thousands of sites and millions of fans it is easy to feel like a single square tile in a enormous game of Tetris. While most people lurk, there are a handful of gamers who maneuver their way into leadership positions and become administrators for their favorite fan-site or even community managers for a game developer. How does this happen? How do you go from lurker to leader? Join community leaders as they have an open discussion about how they rose through the ranks, from being members of the community to leading it. Learn how you can follow in their footsteps and how community managers can engage their own fans to create the next generation of leaders.
Panelists include: Kelli Dunlap [Content and Community Manager, GrifballHub], Jeff Easterling [Administrator, Halo.Bungie.Org and GrimBrother One on HaloGAF], Barbara Dunkelman [Community Manager, Rooster Teeth Productions]

and maybe Major Nelson's panel, if someone from 343 is an unlisted guest.

I know HaloFest was very very expensive for them to put together, but hopefully this isn't indicative of 343's overall presence at PAX East...

Ramirez

5v5 Highlands? Excuse me while I go throw up real quick.

Bungie put Highlands in the 5v5 DLC playlist once and it was the most boring thing I have ever played in my life. Everyone runs around the maps juggling four power weapons and looks for other players, usually not finding any.

That's the joke, mang.

You guys trying to say Reach was a train wreck prior to their taking over are overlooking what really matters. They've axed good playlists (SquadS) and replaced it with a mirror TS playlist, I don't recall anyone asking for Squad to be axed, it had a pretty healthy population compared to most. Then they up TO to 5v5 with no explanation as to why, AND they added BTB Heavies like that was number one on everyone's wishlist. These things have nothing to do with vanilla Reach being terrible, these are just bewildering playlist decisions.

stephen08

Kudos to 343 for removing bleedthrough from TU settings. Kind of weird that that decision was made now and not when it was still in the beta playlist but whatever I will take it. I am going to give TU gametypes more of a chance now, every other change I either liked or was just not used to (85% bloom). Bleedthrough was the one I actively hated.

Evade being axed is a good thing. It was just way too powerful with the Spartan's small frame.

I am disappointed Squad Slayer is gone though. Super Slayer doesn't sound like it will be an adequate replacement.

I guess it was pretty naive of me to expect to see some actual results and analysis of the Team Slayer voting data.

EDIT: Also, finally some confirmation of Halo 4 info.

CyReN

wKCPr.jpg

Blueblur1

I have to agree with Ram and others on the playlist changes. It's completely baffling. Same goes for Firefight; it could use new game types. I hate to be a pessimist but this does not bode well for Halo 4's playlists.

Well, at least there's something to make everyone sort of happy. Too bad it's one step forward, three steps backward. Was there a real significant portion of the community that really wanted Heavies? While I can appreciate the increased movement speed, throwing more broken vehicles together doesn't sound like that much fun at all.

And what the hell; did Firefight do something to 343 to piss them off or something? I simply don't understand the creation of gametypes that no one is asking for at the expense of a Firefight update.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Wait, they added Heavies?! Were there really people asking for that? That's unbelievable.
Some people just love to be spawn fucked by Hogs, Gauss Hogs(don't they shoot through forge walls?), Hornets, Banshees, Tanks, Wraiths, Revenants and Ghost. Who are we to judge?

I mean the vehicles are so underpowered in Reach /infinitebansheeflip
STEaE.gif

Overdoziz

Banned
So that Dutch reporter said the fact that Halo 4 would be shown at the Showcase was already sort of leaked. I asked him where and he linked me to this article in which links to Hypertrooper's thread about a Finnish magazine saying that Halo 4 would be at the Showcase.

GAF > Internet > GAF

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Reach was train wreck even before 343i did the playlists. They split the community with the TU into two groups: People who like Original Reach or people who like TU. And here we are: A very awful position for the playlist. 343i should have taken drastic measures against one of the two groups. No TU settings anymore or no Original reach settings.

this. there are too many factors to balance now with reach and you cant please everyone with the already too bloated playlists. ideally, 343i would have embraced vanilla or TU 100%, with tweaks to the entire thing afterwards if necessary. hopefully, lessons learned for h4

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Shit. I didn't even think about the possibility of armor lock and forge world maps in Super Slayer. That would be really crushing. Squad Slayer was my favorite list by far.

Also: Super Slayer is a dumb name. Why not just TU Slayer?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Some people just love to be spawn fucked by Hogs, Gauss Hogs(don't they shoot through forge walls?), Hornets, Banshees, Tanks, Wraiths, Revenants and Ghost. Who are we to judge?

I mean the vehicles are so underpowered in Reach /infinitebansheeflip
STEaE.gif

Could not agree more. I hate vehicles in Reach to begin with, more of them just sounds awful to me. To each their own, I suppose. What I don't understand is the new split in slayer. If there just has to be a vanilla slayer playlist, just keep team slayer vanilla, and make squad slayer squad skirmish (5v5 slayer/objective). You'd be axing Team Objective, too. That could maybe help with population issues, if the original squad slayer crowd sticks around for it. Also, why in God's name was bleedthrough removed. Ramirez is completely right on this. Despite my negative comments there, I still appreciate the updating. Evade's demise is great, as well as the continued fixing of living dead.

CyReN

Wasn't sure until this, Walshy is officially retired and will just focus on commentary, wasn't sure if he was going to try and come back for Halo 4 but it doesn't seem like it after this blog. I know a lot of people don't like competitive gaming with Halo but this guy did A LOT for it and should get some respect. Hope it works out with him in the gaming industry and commentating

"It is true. I am hanging up the controller. I have been extremely lucky with what I have been able to do with gaming so far in life and plan to work in the video game industry the rest of my life. As many of you just heard on MLG’s announcement show, I will no longer be competing and I will be commentating Halo for MLG Columbus along with Bravo and Gandhi. I plan to continue working in gaming in more than one way. Although I will not hint at what my future plans for my next job might be, I can say that I do have my resume in a couple places and when I have something finalized you will be the first to know. What I can tell you is that I will still continue my involvement in Zach Wigal’s charity as a member of the board of Directors for GamersOutreach. I will continue my political endeavor via the virtual gaming chapter I started for the Electronic Consumers Association. Lastly I will not be continuing to work with the gamer clothing line I co-founded called Kiaeneto. I will explain all of these in more detail in the future on another blog.

As much as I would like to give a shout out to everyone who has helped me and made a significant impact on my competitive gaming career, the list would be too long and I would hate to forget anyone. Instead I would just like to keep it simple and thank everyone for the memories while I was competing and I will see you all in a few weeks at MLG Columbus!"

-Dave Walsh (Walshy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom