• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havok

and make squad slayer squad skirmish (5v5 slayer/objective). You'd be axing Team Objective, too.
Pass. Removing the last dedicated objective playlist in the game removes the only reason for me to play the game. Objective doesn't have a big population, but it is fairly steady, and matches don't take long.

Every other core playlist in the game is either Slayer-only or heavily weighted towards Slayer. Even Objective has a damn Slayer gametype in it.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Pass. Removing the last dedicated objective playlist in the game removes the only reason for me to play the game.

Every other core playlist in the game is either Slayer-only or heavily weighted towards Slayer. Even Objective has a damn Slayer gametype in it.

Eh, you're right, just realised Team Objective is the only non-slayer playlist. I still don't get why BTB matches almost always end up 8v8 slayer. Capture the Flag/Assault can be soooo good when everyone plays the game to win. I'm also concerned about what will happen to Super Slayer. Something tells me it's population won't be high, especially with Vanilla Slayer right on top of the playlist selection screen.

edit: This is a stupid question, but I feel like I should ask it: why are so many people against a lot of playlists? Nearly all of Reach's playlists have >1000 people on it at any given time, so population can't be an issue, and the diversity in gametypes and team sizes is nice, to me at least.

Homeboyd

edit: This is a stupid question, but I feel like I should ask it: why are so many people against a lot of playlists? Nearly all of Reach's playlists have >1000 people on it at any given time, so population can't be an issue, and the diversity in gametypes and team sizes is nice, to me at least.
Truskill can't work as well with smaller populations.

And some playlists suffer lower than 1000 players pretty consistently.

FyreWulff

Bleedthrough removed.

stanley_nod.gif

Actually, I agree with most of that update. Good work, 343.

edit: actually, changed my mind. There's nothing in that update I disagree with.

Havok

Eh, you're right, just realised Team Objective is the only non-slayer playlist. I still don't get why BTB matches almost always end up 8v8 slayer. Capture the Flag/Assault can be soooo good when everyone plays the game to win. I'm also concerned about what will happen to Super Slayer. Something tells me it's population won't be high, especially with Vanilla Slayer right on top of the playlist selection screen.
It really does depend on how the playlist is marketed via the splash screen and where its placed on the listing. The one on top will likely have the higher population, and the Team Slayer name will definitely help it out, but I could see it losing top dog status since "Super" implies superiority.
It's not really about the number of the playlists being too high, its just that so many of them are largely redundant. We have four 4v4 core Slayer playlists, two of which are TU and three of which feature Forge maps. Removing the dedicated stuff like Infection, Grifball, Snipers, and SWAT isn't really what people want, because that stuff has to go somewhere. But there's a crazy amount of overlap in all but the most minute details in some of these playlists to the point where it's hard to see why some of them need to coexist. Frankly, I don't see why a DLC only, vanilla only playlist like Squad DLC needs to exist when they have the ability to turn up DLC matching affinity.

People don't want blind cuts, they want cuts where it makes sense. And that's natural, in a game with 26 current playlists. They've started (kind of) doing the right thing by making Anniversary Squad go away.

FyreWulff

You like 5v5 objective?

It was the superior, funner form of objective in Halo 3 for me, so yes, I'm going to be giving 5v5 TO a try, and 5 man teams are going to need a new 5-man playlist after Squad Slayer bites it.

Now if they could just get rid of Flag Slayer..

edit: also really glad to see all the Infection updates made it in.

edit2: I wonder if Team Slayer and Super Slayer are going to be true mirrors of each other or if one is going to have different splitscreen requirements..

So Super Slayer is going to have Armor Lock and Forge maps? Give me Squad Slayer back please.

Like I said earlier, 343 added an achievement for it.. it's going to show up more now.

Havok

Now if they could just get rid of Flag Slayer..
Somehow I doubt that's going to happen. I feel like that, Speedflag, Headhunter, and Hot Potato are here to stay, unfortunately. I'm okay with what 3 Flag brought to the table in the 'lol-fringe-gametypes-are-back-in-force' July Objective update.

A question: Since Anniversary Squad is being retired, does that mean its replacement, Super Slayer, will be Anniversary required? I seriously hope so, otherwise it'll leave us with no realistic way to play Halo Reach on the Anni maps.

Meahwhile Squad DLC is still vanilla, meaning that with the removal of Anniversary Squad, there is not a single playlist where we can reliably play on DLC maps with TU settings.

Bad state of affairs isn't it? DLC handling has been 343's weakest spot so far. I've got the Noble and Defiant map packs sitting dormant on my HD, I won't touch Squad DLC seeing as it's Vanilla. Still, I had Anni Squad. Now I won't be able to play TU settings on Anni maps either. Will somebody think of the paying consumer!

A pertinent question would be, now that the TU has no bleedthrough, who exactly is Vanilla for? People who like the frankly game breaking original Armour Lock? The meh sword block? Needle Rifle is the only mildly contentious thing in there now.

With the reinstatement of bleedthrough, the TU gametype pleases the largest amount of players. It should be implemented universally as the Reach gametype.

Yeah there really is no point in keeping Vanilla with the removal of bleed-through. Just make the TU universal now so we have a little consistency.

edit: I do think this is what they will ultimately do, I just want them to speed the process up.

FyreWulff

Anniversary Squad biting it sounds like more the early beginnings of playlist consolidation. "Vanilla Reach is still available" is still a joke since we're still sitting at only 2 non-fringe playlists for it as of this update. Might as well consolidate the BTBs and make it all-DLC required.

Now that bleedthrough is gone you do you like TU better than default Fyrewulf?

No, but TU just improved 3000% in my book. Feedback systems exist for a reason. If people want bleedthrough after this, Anniversary Classic and MLG will still have it since they finally answered that it is separable. As I said before, I have nothing against the idea of bleedthrough itself. But it belongs in Halo 1/2/3 and possibly 4, games that were made with it in mind. The two gametypes are a lot closer in my book, and I'd still rather they just make the TU global at this point.

If we could get an RoF locked DMR or an 85% DMR with 85% bloom while crouched instead of 0%, then sure, ditch Vanilla. Er well, they'd be pretty much the same in my book.

daedalius

So the difference between vanilla and TU is now

- 85% vs 100% bloom

- garbage armor lock vs tolerable armor lock

- slightly reduced stealth time on camo

- am I missing something?

these are REALLY two different types of gameplay??

Halo 4 beta can't come soon enough.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

- 85% vs 100% bloom

well, until the 6th the difference is that plus bleedthrough. taken as individual pieces it sure doesnt seem all that different, but i'll be damned if they play the same. still, should be a unified experience though.

EDIT: i may actually prefer reach prior to TU then the mess we have now...
:(

blamite

- 85% vs 100% bloom

Don't forget removed sword block.

Ramirez

whats with the obsession over devo/timedog?

Internet famous!

- 85% vs 100% bloom

Yup, they axed the only thing that made it truly a different game. Well, 85% bloom is nice, ZB is better.

I honestly thought the whole point of them going to the trouble of removing bleedthrough on the TU gametype was to achieve homogeneity in Reach. What is the point of Vanilla post March update?

You're still leaving two different bloom types in the game which is confusing to new and casual players. Do away with Vanilla; there were probably lunatics who preferred Halo 2 pre-patch too.

FyreWulff

I honestly thought the whole point of them going to the trouble of removing bleedthrough on the TU gametype was to achieve homogeneity in Reach. What is the point of Vanilla post March update?

You're still leaving two different bloom types in the game which is confusing to new and casual players. Do away with Vanilla; there were probably lunatics who preferred Halo 2 pre-patch too.

There isn't, there's still only two Vanilla playlists, and one with horrible population suffered from DLC requirement missteps late last year. With bleedthrough gone even I'm hoping they give up the facade and push TU into everything else.

feel

Absolutely minimal improvements to the gameplay that most of the fanbase wouldn't notice get their own separate playlist? smh at Reach matchmaking management. I don't care about Reach at this point but like Ram says this does not bode well at all for Halo 4. Crossing my fingers things will be completely different then with the game being their own from day one.

And yay at that Dutch leak! Hopefully this snowballs into a huge info leak with all the shady euro journous trying to outdo each other for fame.

edit- yay too at that other tweet hypaa posted. MORE!!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
So will the SP and MP info be hand delivered to us by MS/343i, or is it going to be more of a journalistic frenzy?

the latter. thats the entire reason for the embargo, to give sites time to put together articles and to publish at the same time. i'm sure waypoint will have the same media and some write ups too though

At this stage in the game's cycle I wish they would just release the DLC for free, like they did for Halo 2.
And they should also just go completely title update on all playlists (excluding bleedthrough).

Coming from someone who already bought the DLC too btw... I want them to release it free.

CyReN

What a bunch of jerks.

Looks like I'm not going to get shit done on Monday.

I highly doubt anything will really come out until Monday, just teases. Sunday night is going to be a fun night of sleeping..

------

Also I'm glad it shinny, I didn't like the "dark and rough" look of Reach too much, yea I know the story us supposed to be that.

halo3screens.jpg
>
zoF2s.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom