• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Firefight is dead for months, Ghal. Give up. Move on.

It's my favorite mode in Reach.

It's - according to Bungie - the easiest in Matchmaking to update.

Many game types are straight up broken. Other modes are in desperate need of update.

They've had owership of matchmaking since August and all they've done is delete my favorite playlist.

I will continue to lament their utter neglect of Firefight until Halo 4 ships. So there.

Evade removed from Spartan loadouts.

tumblr_lit5wdB6j21qcfba3o1_500.gif

THANK THE LORD, FINALLY IT'S GONE

Bleedthrough was take it or leave it with me, I think this solution pleases the most people and now the feedback loop will be restored to its unequivocal state, which is one of the things Reach did really well in the first place.

A question: Since Anniversary Squad is being retired, does that mean its replacement, Super Slayer, will be Anniversary required? I seriously hope so, otherwise it'll leave us with no realistic way to play Halo Reach on the Anni maps.

Overall, a very good update.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I love what bleedthrough does for weapons, but not melee's. Melee is ass in Reach anyway, but I don't understand why people complain about getting killed through their shield with a bleedthrough headshot. The bullet did enough damage to strip your shield and hit you in the dome, like every other Halo.

My biggest issue with not having bleedthrough is how it affects teamshooting. If a player gets someone's shield stripped to be "one-shot" by the time a teammate can get a clean shot on the guy he may have recharged a sliver of shields and is no longer "one-shot." Now that teammate has to strip his shields again and then get the final shot. I didn't like that about Reach. I understand the arguments for player feedback and all that, but seriously, I don't have a problem with knowing how weak I am or when I can be killed with a headshot. I've played enough past Halo games to know that if my shields are low, a BR/DMR/Pistol can probably can kill me in one headshot. Same goes for knowing how weak an enemy is, I can tell by the flare of their shields and the animations that go along with it.
At this point I'm fine with or without blees through. It will just take a little time tp re-adapt. I do like the fact now that I know exactly how many shots I can take and the shields popping is always a great GTFO reminder. One thing I didn't like with bleedthrough was when you got hit with a nade and you're not sure whether you are one shot or two. And now you know for sure that if you still have shields, you are at least two shot. It's nice to have something dependable rather than looking at a bar and trying to judge exactly how low your shields are. It would be different if there was a % attached to your shields. But whatever, I've been adapting to all of these different settings so I'll keep doing that.

Kuroyume

Banned
Christ, what took so fucking long? I would be happy about evade being removed but I no longer want to play Reach anymore. I commend 343 for finally making the change but I'd like a quicker response next time.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Christ, what took so fucking long? I would be happy about evade being removed but I no longer want to play Reach anymore. I commend 343 for finally making the change but I'd like a quicker response next time.

news flash, 343i (and bungie) dont cater to what you want. it takes time to *try* and identify what the overall community wants - you know, the people that PLAY reach.

kylej

Banned

How'd you find a copy? They only made like 50 copies of the Legendary edition for the people who pre-ordered the second it was available.

I heard even Bungie employees had to line up to preorder their own copies. There wasn't enough to go around.

A Bungie employee just fist pumped and clicked on Add to Cart.

I just PM'd Frankie, hopefully he can pick one up before they sell out.

-

One of our sandbox designers is disturbingly good. I refused to believe he wasn't a tester for the longest time.

How are Hysteria and Elamite holding up?

-

Kibbles said:
Random but some music video just played on MTV and Halo Reach was on the tv at one point. The chorus was "Is anybody out there" I think so thats probably the song lol

I'm assuming the active roster was pulled up on the TV during this part?

2745962864_843240ef45_o.gif

Havok

Evade being gone is great.

Objective team bump is less than great, and Heavies in normal BTB is especially less than great, depending on how it is weighted.

news flash, 343i (and bungie) dont cater to what you want. it takes time to *try* and identify what the overall community wants - you know, the people that PLAY reach.
It took nine months to take Drop Shield spam out of Team Objective, which was universally recognized as being broken. It took a similar amount of time to remove Evade, which was again a thing that broke close range combat. It's not a matter of identification, they just have weird priorities.

Ramirez

Which includes Heavy gametypes now.

Yea, this update has for more negative to it than positive for me.

Evade being gone is great.

Objective team bump is less than great, and Heavies in normal BTB is especially less than great, depending on how it is weighted.

Yea, I don't understand why TO was upped to 5v5, makes NO sense. A better solution for TO would be to restrict it to 2 player splitscreen and put some more maps in.

blamite

Just saw the bulletin. Bleedthrough gone, BTB heavies added? God dammit fyrewulff, you're ruining Halo for me!
Kidding. Sort of.

Havok

Yea, I don't understand why TO was upped to 5v5, makes NO sense. A better solution for TO would be to restrict it to 2 player splitscreen and put some more maps in.
I agree. Anything that removes 4 player split from creating games full of awful guests that pose no challenge and adds variety to the playlist would be great. Back when they had the old Team Classic, I thought a lot of those maps would work great in TO.

5v5 is a weird place because a lot of the maps get very grenade spammy even in 4v4, adding two more people is probably going to exacerbate the issue. It probably won't be that big of a change in the grand scheme, but it is a strange change.

Louis Wu

Um... where the heck did this pic come from?

Bulletin_W_Carousel_Large_Home_742x370.png

(It's the Carousel shot for the current Bulletin, though it's not in the Bulletin itself anywhere.)

Ramirez

I agree. Anything that removes 4 player split from creating games full of awful guests that pose no challenge and adds variety to the playlist would be great. Back when they had the old Team Classic, I thought a lot of those maps would work great in TO.

5v5 is a weird place because a lot of the maps get very grenade spammy even in 4v4, adding two more people is probably going to exacerbate the issue. It probably won't be that big of a change in the grand scheme, but it is a strange change.

I guess they did it so they could add Highlands into the rotation.

It's my favorite mode in Reach.

It's - according to Bungie - the easiest in Matchmaking to update.

Many game types are straight up broken. Other modes are in desperate need of update.

They've had owership of matchmaking since August and all they've done is delete my favorite playlist.

I will continue to lament their utter neglect of Firefight until Halo 4 ships. So there.

I feel your pain, my favorite Firefight playlist as well. (Needs Fiesta playlist!)

I agree with Hyper though, it seems clear that 343 is just not going to touch it.

Great update! I honestly didn't think that Evade was ever going to get away. Only thing I don't like is TO moving to 5v5, which I was going to get back into playing because of no evade. We'll see.

I wonder if the health pack glitch was tied to bleedthrough? Maybe healthpacks will work properly in TU gametypes now.

I guess they did it so they could add Highlands into the rotation.

5v5 Highlands? Excuse me while I go throw up real quick.

Bungie put Highlands in the 5v5 DLC playlist once and it was the most boring thing I have ever played in my life. Everyone runs around the maps juggling four power weapons and looks for other players, usually not finding any.

The Good:

BTB heavies has 110% movement speed. Great
Now do the rest of the playlists

Evade gone

The Bad:

5v5 Objective

BTB heavies (did anyone really want more banshees?)

Bleedthrough gone

blamite

Oh also Super Slayer sounds waaaay worse than Squad, since I'm assuming armor lock is back and so are all the shitty forge maps from TS. I mean I probably was never gonna play reach again anyway hut this seals the deal.

Ramirez

Oh also Super Slayer sounds waaaay worse than Squad, since I'm assuming armor lock is back and so are all the shitty forge maps from TS. I mean I probably was never gonna play reach again anyway hut this seals the deal.

Didn't think about that...ehhhh...

Expectations for Halo 4 playlist management decreasing.

Ughh Evade removed? What are we gonna do to go find people now when we get spawned away from action...Seems boring and slow. I hate that in Halo it makes me depressed reminds me of spawning with an AR in the middle of Avalanche. Sometimes I'd just suicide to get a better respawn I was so bored.

op_ivy

not saying you are wrong - but what are you basing your assumptions on?

armor lock and 90% community maps would definitely bum me out

I don't think it's fair to compare the two.
Halo Reach has so many different player groups than any other Halo game.
It has people who play Team Slayer because it's the default playlist.
It has people who play Team Slayer because it is Vanilla.
People who play other playlists that are only TU.
People who play Living Dead.
Griffballers.
Firefight Heros.
Arena Heros.
MLG Community.
Etc, etc.

One change in any playlist, and any one of those groups might rage.
It must be really hard to find a balance. And that is Bungie's fault for not rectifying the problem at launch.
343i is trying, but the player base is now so split it won't recover.

Hopefully Halo 4 offers a more universal experience than the bland sandbox Reach burdened us with.

Homeboyd

Firefight.

Someone at 343 - please. :(
You

and
There'a guy over at HBO with some wonderful custom Firefight gametypes. Combine that with some common sense tweaks, they could potentially give Firefight one last, meaningful, significant push.

But not this month. =/
you.

GET YOUR ASS IN GEAR.

You have the power.

Also, I'll gladly wait an extra day for updates like that. SLAM DUNK LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

Havok

I rarely played Squad because I don't really enjoy straight Slayer, but it's a shame that they removed one of the two good Slayer playlists and kept the armor lock/camofest playlist full of some of the worst Forge maps I've ever seen - and then duplicated it. Multiply a bad thing and it transforms into a good thing, right? No? Wait, no. Really sucks for people that wanted a 'clean' slayer experience.

"Super Slayer is a replica of Team Slayer with the Title Update changes included." Replica implies that those things carry over.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I think if Halo 4 is a simpler game, (fewer weapons, no AA's, no equipment...just few variables all together) the playlist management will be much easier than it has been. There are so many things to account for when it comes to map and gametype settings that it's clearly too overwhelming of a task for it to be handled the way we all want it to be. I think if Halo 4 turns out to be a "back to basics" Halo game, it's going to make a world of a difference in the matchmaking experience. I also think there's no way 343i won't include numbered ranks and hopefully they've learned that updating maps and settings once a month for a Halo game, just isn't enough. edit: Just to clarify, I know it's not their fault for Reach and its system. I meant, I hope they can change the system to make matchmaking updates come out more frequently. But then again, a simpler game would require fewer tweaks.

op_ivy

I rarely played Squad because I don't really enjoy straight Slayer, but it's a shame that they removed one of the two good Slayer playlists and kept the armor lock/camofest playlist full of some of the worst Forge maps I've ever seen - and then duplicated it. Multiply a bad thing and it transforms into a good thing, right? No? Wait, no. Really sucks for people that wanted a 'clean' slayer experience.

"Super Slayer is a replica of Team Slayer with the Title Update changes included." Replica implies that those things carry over.

yeah. bummer.

=)

blamite

Mainly this sentence:
bulltein said:
Super Slayer is a replica of Team Slayer with the Title Update changes included.
Replica of Team Slayer. Siiiiiiiigh. Yay, big steps backwards.

Meahwhile Squad DLC is still vanilla, meaning that with the removal of Anniversary Squad, there is not a single playlist where we can reliably play on DLC maps with TU settings.

Also I'm betting Infection still has the vanilla Sword Base, cage variants included.

Tunavi

Banned
Give 343 a break. Months and months of vigorous playtesting went into this decision so they could be sure that evade really was a horrible horrible gameplay mechanic.

Ughh Evade removed? What are we gonna do to go find people now when we get spawned away from action...Seems boring and slow. I hate that in Halo it makes me depressed reminds me of spawning with an AR in the middle of Avalanche. Sometimes I'd just suicide to get a better respawn I was so bored.
I'm asking you for adaption. I do hope you understand the gravity of that request.

I think if Halo 4 is a simpler game, (fewer weapons, no AA's, no equipment...just few variables all together) the playlist management will be much easier than it has been. There are so many things to account for when it comes to map and gametype settings that it's clearly too overwhelming of a task for it to be handled the way we all want it to be. I think if Halo 4 turns out to be a "back to basics" Halo game, it's going to make a world of a difference in the matchmaking experience. I also think there's no way 343i won't include numbered ranks and hopefully they've learned that updating maps and settings once a month for a Halo game, just isn't enough. edit: Just to clarify, I know it's not their fault for Reach and its system. I meant, I hope they can change the system to make matchmaking updates come out more frequently. But then again, a simpler game would require fewer tweaks.

Great post is great.

One thing that that will help the game in general and playlist management a lot: A single set of starting weapons (headshot 2x and auto short range) universally in the game. Makes for a more uniform game and much much easier playlist management aka better matckmaking experience.

Tunavi

Banned
I think if Halo 4 is a simpler game, (fewer weapons, no AA's, no equipment...just few variables all together) the playlist management will be much easier than it has been.
Agreed. Reminds me about how Rome lost power because it had too much land to control.

CyReN

Well put, that's what needs to be done, I like Halo 3 and Halo Reach but no compared to my LOVE for H1/H2. It seems after 2 they just tried to jam as much shit as they could into it (Halo 3 had like 6 grenade types, so many equipment types, Reach AA, Forge World, etc) instead of keep the basics there and it hurt them.

I like what 343i has done so far, they turned a Pinto (vanilla Reach) into a Mustang (1.1,NB,Maps). I have a lot of faith, and even if they falter in some areas I'm sure they will tweak it to the community like.

BELI343

Reach was train wreck even before 343i did the playlists. They split the community with the TU into two groups: People who like Original Reach or people who like TU. And here we are: A very awful position for the playlist. 343i should have taken drastic measures against one of the two groups. No TU settings anymore or no Original reach settings.

So if Reach didn't have its flaws at the beginning, the situation would look much different now. They did the best thing they could imo. Otherwise I won't make a real opinion about the playlist management until some "Halo 4 playlist updates". Otherwise: Hire Juices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom