• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why the end date of the embargo would be something they can't talk about.

Yeah it seems ridiculous that it would be part of the embargo itself. I mean embargo's are designed to allow the media to prepare they're articles, not to be super secretive just for the sake of being super secretive.

That said if I was in your shoes I would probably just avoid the topic 100% at this stage. If I was you I would basically just do anything to keep 343 happy lol! So yeah while it seems silly I guess its best not to say anything :(

Tunavi

Banned
lmao thats the last time devo is getting invited to one of these things

WuUz9.png

1.84, 82% win

Redford

aka Cabbie
Halo 4 will be great for playing with my friends IRL. Reach just wasn't that kind of game like Halo 3 was for that late night drunk matchmaking and campaign.

Halo Wars sure is a lot of fun, Stephen Rippy also did a great job on the soundtrack, its not exactly Halo but shares the same sorts of themes. Hopefully the H4 composes gets a good balance.

But yeah the simply joy of watching your opponent do stupid stuff on Halo Wars cant be matched. Oh whats that? Your using a Scarab because it looks cool? Shame those things suck lol!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Squad Slayer Stats:

Games Played:25
Kills:409
Deaths:223
K/D:1.83
Assists:88

You will be missed
Not really

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I figured since they're killing off SS even though no one asked them to I might as well quit out of any Uncaged game I get.

truestorybro

CyReN

My local friends is a XBL VIP and is having diner with some ms people and it looks like bsangel and others at 343?

I r jelly.

_______

Ill be on at 11pm est I'd anybody wants to play.

GhaleonEB

Well fuck. I'm making it quote only. OH wait it's been quoted a bunch. They have a bunch of weird info embargos that I just don't understand.

My experience with NDAs are, you just don't talk about them. I've signed several over the years and found it's just easier to ignore everyone who asks. I don't think you really did anything wrong though. :)

Everyone is clamoring for new information, but there's pros and cons to getting access to stuff early. Pro: you see cool shit early. Con: you can't tell anyone. Sometimes you can't even let them know that you know. It's harder than you might think sitting on that kind of stuff.

My experience with NDAs are, you just don't talk about them. I've signed several over the years and found it's just easier to ignore everyone who asks. I don't think you really did anything wrong though. :)

Everyone is clamoring for new information, but there's pros and cons to getting access to stuff early. Pro: you see cool shit early. Con: you can't tell anyone. Sometimes you can't even let them know that you know. It's harder than you might think sitting on that kind of stuff.

I doubt Devo wanted to give any actual informtion away she was just being friendly, giving out the timing for the embargo is very different from discussing the cool stuff that she saw. That said, I dont want to speak for her but for me personally, access and knowledge of super crazy secret stuff is reward in itself.

I have been in some very fortunate positions and your right, simply not saying anything is best, sometimes you see stuff that you want to tell someone about, but again the actual reward of seeing that stuff so early is usually reward in itself. I personally don't think Devo is finding it hard to keep quiet, she is probably smiling to herself any time anyone clamours for information lol.

I deleted the quote and it probably wouldn't be too hard for the others to do so too, but why would the exact time be that secret. An embargo is an embargo though :(

I think embargoing the times is another way to ensure the people who saw Halo 4 on the last day are still able to make their writing polished and garner sufficient web traffic.

Once people know when an embargo will lift, they're going to perch out and wait for the info to drop. Stories that get the most hits are generally high in Google's news ranking. That means the people who saw the info on the first day will have everything ready to go as soon as it drops. The people who saw the info on the last day that would like the extra few hours to add polish will have a harder chance to get high in Google's news ranking. (Or they better have amazing SEO.)

Google's news rankings aren't great for things like embargoed news. Think about how often embargoes are put on news outside of the entertainment journalism industries. It's a flawed system, but video game journalism has to use it to survive.

All of this is my opinion on the matter and could be patently wrong.

Glad to see it's all good. :^)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I've always thought of embargoes as relics of the print versus digital war. Not too long ago they were used to placate printed publications that had to compete with the instant publication nature of the internet.

To think they have evolved in tune with SEO rankings is quite... interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom