• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

feel

Anyone else worried that after all this wait we'll only get walls of text and a couple of screens on Monday with proper footage being then promised for a much later date? Someone did hint at multiple tiers of information/media embargoes.

Best invasion map ever.
dxXGmHc9zNBTD.gif

My hype levels:

H4 (right now) > ODST > Reach > 3

I'll probably go full nerdgasm mode monday's morning. I have my new medal ready for the show, NO GOLDEN DONGS, I promise!
Sigh. Were you there when the servers opened? Were you there when two kids talking about the stars? Were you there when people listened to an audio clip, just to get their first impression with 3's campaign. Good times. Good times.

FyreWulff

Y U NO 2 L PLAYERS 343?

If people want 2 Local players in Invasion, we need to have an Invasion map SO GOOD that once we finish the test session, world peace is achieved. HaloGAF, Waypoint, r/halo, ForgeHub, HBO, GrifballHUB dancing in the throes of joy of how the good the map is, holding hands. Frankie loads up the map and sheds a single tear. David's beard spontaneously appears on his face. BSAngel posts a bulletin on time to hail the arrival of the new map. Everyone bookmarks the front page of HBO after discovering it exists. The happiness will spread to the NeoGAF mods, heralding the unbanning of EazyB, who shall arrive on a chopper with angel wings and Prince music.

Sigh. Were you there when the servers opened? Were you there when two kids talking about the stars? Were you there when people listened to an audio clip, just to get their first impression with 3's campaign. Good times. Good times.

I WASN't there :/

H3 was my first halo game and I bought it months after release, it was my first game for my new Xbox 360.

I haven't bought a single game game without halo in the title since then.

Sai-kun

Banned

I helped open Server 4, which was like the only server to not get any swag

:( I was so disappointed, but I had so much fun.

If people want 2 Local players in Invasion, we need to have an Invasion map SO GOOD that once we finish the test session, world peace is achieved. HaloGAF, Waypoint, r/halo, ForgeHub, HBO, GrifballHUB dancing in the throes of joy of how the good the map is, holding hands. Frankie loads up the map and sheds a single tear. David's beard spontaneously appears on his face. BSAngel posts a bulletin on time to hail the arrival of the new map. Everyone bookmarks the front page of HBO after discovering it exists. The happiness will spread to the NeoGAF mods, heralding the unbanning of EazyB, who shall arrive on a chopper with angel wings and Prince music.

I have the weirdest boner right now.

GhaleonEB

Ghaleon hiding a stash of millions in Hawaii at his secret resort with mistress confirmed. I KNEW IT.

Well, that would speed my retirement plans along (stretch goal of age 50 getting more and more likely), but alas. It's at work. A normal part of working in corporate finance is periodic internal and external audits (this is both), as part of SOX compliance.

It's the reason Monday was threatening to suck more than usual, until the embargo news.

Karl2177

it's the Fatkins Diet.
I was going to link to the Bungie Studio Tour where you say something like the Fatkin's Diet, but it got taken down...

My hype levels:

H4 (right now) > ODST > Reach > 3
3 > ODST > H4 > Reach

Reach's launch wasn't well marketed. "We are ODST" was the best live action shot, and it made my hype for that game rise tenfold. H4's is only so large right now because Frank and Sotaro have a way with words that gets you giddy. Then of course the blitzkrieg of the Halo 3 marketing makes it no. 1. I'm hoping we get that same kind of treatment for Halo 4. The return of Chief really deserves it.

Anyone else worried that after all this wait we'll only get walls of text and a couple of screens on Monday with proper footage being then promised for a much later date? Someone did hint at multiple tiers of information/media embargoes.

dxXGmHc9zNBTD.gif

The best part of that gif is when he tries to act serious for a second, but can't hold it in.

Oozer3993

Are you talking about that video of Frankie playing Sierra 117 where they weren't allowed to show the screen so the huddled masses were forced to decipher what was going on via the sound alone? Cause that was awesome.

P.S. All the cool kids spent 2 hours downloading the Halo 2 E3 2003 demo video over dial up. And then 2 hours the next year downloading the E3 2004 Multiplayer demo video.

"We do this alllllll day."

Computron

Click here to enlarge this 3840x1288 beast of a picture.

or click the image for partiall enlargement, lol.
EnrT9.jpg
OH GOD, can you imagine another Halo game without derelict human cities? The humanity!

Or literally the lack thereof.

I hope that Halo 4 has some cool cities.

I helped open Server 4, which was like the only server to not get any swag

:( I was so disappointed, but I had so much fun.

I think thats the same one I got lol, I remember being dissapointed because it was the only one which didnt have that nifty xbox live account icon as a reward. I did get a tshirt out of it though which was cool.

Karl2177

Invasion with 2 players local makes too much sense for 343i to implement it. You would spawn on your bro co-op style, and wouldn't have to worry about spawning on some random bro. Can't have too much sense in a Halo game.

OH GOD, can you imagine another Halo game without derelict human cities? The humanity!

Or literally the lack of.

I hope that Halo 4 has some cool cities.

Dat image size.

Are you talking about that video of Frankie playing Sierra 117 where they weren't allowed to show the screen so the huddled masses were forced to decipher what was going on via the sound alone? Cause that was awesome.

P.S. All the cool kids spent 2 hours downloading the Halo 2 E3 2003 demo video over dial up. And then 2 hours the next year downloading the E3 2004 Multiplayer demo video.

Yep. I'm talking about this.

Otherwise I checked Gamersyde.com archive and found this. i'm going to give it a watch again.

zap

I have Halo 2 Vista, but because my XBL gold account is a family account I had wondered for a long time why I couldn't play online, until stumbling on the answer here. I want to get the achievements for H2V, but I still can't play online. Sucks man :(

feel

I just nostalgia'd hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmmrT5-WolI

ANTI SON OF A BITCH STICK

I must've watched this hundreds of times back in the day

Havok

I have Halo 2 Vista, but because my XBL gold account is a family account I had wondered for a long time why I couldn't play online, until stumbling on the answer here. I want to get the achievements for H2V, but I still can't play online. Sucks man :(
I hope someday they'll let me purchase that game in a format I can use. I live in the far flung future of 2012, there's no need for disc drives on our PCs.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Invasion could have been really good, it was just very poorly executed.

I honestly hope it gets another look in Halo 4. I love OBJ game play and the "battlefield" type of gametype Invasion should have been.

Blinding

In the same exact boat, sucks but oh well.

Computron

I hope someday they'll let me purchase that game. I live in the far flung future of 2012, there's no need for disc drives on our PCs.

You could always purchase the game for the license, then use a .ISO from, ahem, the 'bay', and use image mounting software.

Computron

Silver accounts work and are free.

Breakpoint is the least shittiest Invasion map.

Yea but only cause its competition is Spire and Boneyard.

I literally fell asleep while playing Boneyard during the beta. One minute I was donging on scrubs the next I'm face down on my desk dreaming of the good ol days when maps were good.

Also just got a newish setup for gaming will post pics soon. Anybody else have sweet gaming setups?

CyReN

:lol the two minutes my iphone spent loading that gif were totally worth it.

With my awesome Sprint 3g I could only see it as a still..

Speaking of achievements my quest to 100% Reach continues tonight if anybody is down, going for the obnoxious ones now:
sBw5Q.jpg

Boardwalk's on the bottom since it's used more in Slayer than Objective even though it's an asymmetric objective map. I don't feel any of them are stinkers, like Halo 3's Isolation, Halo 2's Burial Mounds and Foundation, and Halo 1's Boarding Action and Longest. Spire is at least used heavily in the gametype it's intended for, Invasion and works well in Slayer. Boardwalk isn't too great at Slayer (much like Headlong). Which is a shame since it's a more infantry-friendly Relic (which was also bad at Slayer).

The moment you officially went over the edge.

I've thought about it and I'm claiming Spire (outside of Invasion, though even in that mode it's terrible) to be the worst map in Halo history. Worse than Chiron. Worse than Sandtrap. Worse than Paradiso. An unfocused, formless mass that not only looks like shit but has a khazi personality to boot. Power weapon placement and vehicle placement utterly senseless. Half of the map practically unused. No interesting compartments of the map in which to battle or fight for. Genuinely shocked it made it into the game.

I was just going to say it's probably because you don't like Reach but then I saw your last sentence :p

But yea, I still love Reach and play it all the time so that definitely makes it easier for me to wait. I'm super fuckin pumped for Monday though. Pretty crazy to think that a new Halo is coming out this year.

Next week is glorious for Halo. The Halo 4 reveal on Monday. Then from Tuesday onwards I get to play Objective modes in Reach without the heinous Evade ruining the game. RIP Squad Slayer though.

Only good Reach map that isn't DLC is Reflection.

Headlong, Timberland, Highlands(if the weapons were toned down), Battle Canyon, and Tempest are good too IMO.

Computron

Man, I wish 343 would Re-release this map for Halo 4.

For those of you who don't have H2v it's called District. It's an official multiplayer map that's partly a remake of the courtyard that you fight in after chief lands on earth in the second level of halo 2, but a little less destroyed and expanded.

Click here to enlarge to full size. ( 3840 x 2144 !!!)

Or click on the image for partial 'embiggening'.
zIpSh.jpg

Click here to enlarge to full size.
Pltlz.jpg

Playing Halo 2 at these high resolutions and 60 frames is pretty sick, I can't wait to see what the xbox 720 can handle and in 3D!

Come to think of it, just the view in my scope is a much higher resolution than the xbox could render the full screen at.

[Click here to enlarge to full size.
YX4bN.jpg

TheOddOne

Came in expecting Simpsons gifs and I am happy. You guys are cool, might stay here a while.

I still think Smithers shot Mister Burns.

Karl2177

Decent Reach Maps:
Powerhouse.
Headlong.

Done.

I thought we we going disc only. If we're adding in DLC, then...

Decent
Powerhouse
Countdown(sans weapon placement)
Boardwalk(sans obj and weapon placement)
Highlands(sans weapon placement)
Tempest(with rocks opened up)
Headlong
Timberland
Beaver Creek

Sucky
Everything else

With my awesome Sprint 3g I could only see it as a still..

Speaking of achievements my quest to 100% Reach continues tonight if anybody is down, going for the obnoxious ones now:
http://i.imgur.com/sBw5Q.jpg
I'd be down for this. I have 2 left. Defiant zombie and Defiant 1 flag ones.

I thought we we going disc only. If we're adding in DLC, then...

Decent
Powerhouse
Countdown(sans weapon placement)
Boardwalk(sans obj and weapon placement)
Highlands(sans weapon placement)
Tempest(with rocks opened up)
Headlong
Timberland
Beaver Creek

Sucky
Everything else

I'd be down for this. I have 2 left. Defiant zombie and Defiant 1 flag ones.

Beaver Creek needs revised weapons. Tempest is used in 4v4/5v5 which is just gross. Timberland is used for BTB slayer, also gross. Countdown is a nade clusterfuck. Highlands is ass.

Karl2177

Beaver Creek needs revised weapons. Tempest is used in 4v4/5v5 which is just gross. Timberland is used for BTB slayer, also gross. Countdown is a nade clusterfuck. Highlands is ass.

And half of those are the fault of their placement in MM. Tempest is best at 6v6, yet there hasn't a 6v6 playlist since Premium Battle which is where it belonged. Timberland Ridgeline without the laser works pretty good for 8v8 objective and slayer, at least in my games it has.

How would you set up Beaver Creek's weapons?

Powerhouse and Zealot are the best Reach has to offer. Countdown is so so when you remove so much of the crap.

Boardwalk is good.

I dislike playing on Sword Base and Reflection.

Homer rules. And yeah the gifs just work for how I feel reading some things, hope it doesn't come off too douchey though.

Nah, I'd do the same.

Well they need to accept some non-forge world invasion variants then. Headlong at the very least.

Condemned aswell damn it! Condemned!

Can't agree with that. Map is not good.

Computron

May as well show you the other H2v map your missing out on, Uplift:

Click here to enlarge to full size. ( 3840 x 2144 !!!)

Or click on the image for partial 'embiggening'.
CtCey.jpg

wJuZ6.jpg

4KDl1.jpg

4aI6u.jpg

I would kill for slightly buffed versions of the Halo 2 Magnum in Halo 4.

So, dual wielding with two-handed weapon starts in Halo 4, what do you guys think?

And half of those are the fault of their placement in MM. Tempest is best at 6v6, yet there hasn't a 6v6 playlist since Premium Battle which is where it belonged. Timberland Ridgeline without the laser works pretty good for 8v8 objective and slayer, at least in my games it has.

How would you set up Beaver Creek's weapons?

One shotgun in the middle. Not two, one in each base. Rockets or grenade launchers need to go or be on longer timers. When it's the non-anni one there is also a sword. So you've got shotgun, rockets, snipes, sword, grenade launchers on a small contained map.

Even 6v6 on Tempest, I'm still not a fan of standoff like maps. Same reason I'm not a fan of Ridgeline/Timberland not to mention the bases are terrible. Something like Avalanche you had several entrances into a base, including a nice portal if people were turtling the outside. In Timberland/Ridgeline this is not so.

Condemned is ruined by the laggy engine center. So pointless. My frame rate just dies in that place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom