• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy - this is what I wrote in the Halo 4 thread:

The fact that there hasn't been any leaks... means the Halo 4 info isn't impressive enough for some minor game journalist to risk his reputation for short term popularity and website / twitter traffic.

Halo 4 disappointing confirmed.

anKgp.gif

Havok

I kinda sorta understand the hate for Reflection, so long as it's contained to certain contexts. That game last night with the jet packing crew was basically Exhibit A for how jet packs turn a good map into a bad one, and a fun game unpleasant. But otherwise, yeah. When played as intended it's a great map.
Yeah, that's kind of how Ivory Tower always was - a great objective map that was only okay for slayer, and it's one of those things that just doesn't translate well to Reach's use of every map for every gametype. Jetpacks breaking maps on top of that problem causes it to catch a lot of flak that it doesn't necessarily deserve.

Also,
1. Zealot
2. Powerhouse
3. Countdown or Reflection
∞. Boardwalk
I don't get the hate for Boardwalk, I like the map.
Tied for worst objective placement in the game with Boneyard Flag, severely restricted vertical movement paths, bad visual clarity because of those trees and their leaves, glass panels that you can magically shoot through, jerks hiding up on the grass plateaus, and the map promotes camping with snipers like no other map in the game. These things are why I hate it.

Retro

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I actually like Ivory Tower, even though the number of times the upper level has turned into a meat grinder is far beyond reckoning. I do wish that the open elevator in the back was more of a staircase-type affair so it didn't actually function like a murder factory, conveyor belts and all.

Otherwise, I like the angles, the mix of ranges and the effect solid teamwork can have on the map (like taking out an entire team of hallway campers in seconds by coordinating a pincher). It's not my absolute favorite, but it's certainly not bad.

I wouldn't say it's the best in Reach by a longshot either, but the framework is there for it to have really shined. It's just that Reach kind of brings everything down.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
So this 'Halo 4' info we are waiting on... Do we know any details yet? Ingame footage of SP/MP? Screenshots?

single player and multi was shown. i think that is all we know.

not sure if it was video, demo'd, or playable to attendees...

My pointless rankings of default Reach maps that nobody will read:

Decent group
1.(Best in Reach)Powerhouse
2.Over's map/Asylum (Over's is better)
3.Zealot
4.Boneyard
5.Countdown (would be one of my favorites, but that power weapon placement is pathetic)
6.Spire

How in God's name did this get past quality assurance
7.Boardwalk
8.Sword Base
9.(Worst, kill this map with a flaming stick)Reflection

IMO Reach is the worst Halo in terms of map quality.
Oh and Over, I should be able to have all those clips for you by Tuesday/Wednesday.

Boardwalk and reflection were amazing for 1 flag/assault :S.

If there was an alternative to ignore, that was an animated gif of a dead horse rolling its eyes as it was continually flogged. I would pay currency for it.

343's marketing campaign: "let fans starve for more than six months before releasing a huge blowout of info which will make us shit our pants", I like the last part better :/

Anyway, I'm pretty hyped for H4 so you guys succeeded but c'mon!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
343's marketing campaign: "let fans starve for more than six months before releasing a huge blowout of info which will make us shit our pants", I like the last part better :/

it's the Fatkins Diet.

I wasn't hyped for a videogame since Halo 3.

Arnie

I won't know whether I like 343's marketing approach until Monday. I do like the idea of not showing the game until it's polished, especially considering the context behind Halo 4, but it's still been agonising to have as little information to go on since the initial reveal. Especially considering how little Halo I've been consuming in the Reach era.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I won't know whether I like 343's marketing approach until Monday. I do like the idea of not showing the game until it's polished, especially considering the context behind Halo 4, but it's still been agonising to have as little information to go on since the initial reveal. Especially considering how little Halo I've been consuming in the Reach era.

I was just going to say it's probably because you don't like Reach but then I saw your last sentence :p

But yea, I still love Reach and play it all the time so that definitely makes it easier for me to wait. I'm super fuckin pumped for Monday though. Pretty crazy to think that a new Halo is coming out this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom