• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Yeah I'm guessing that's going to be used for armored core-like maneuvering during whatever zero-g segments there are but not be a part of the game.
I've been thinking this but I didn't say anything because I don't want Dom and Dev to giggle at me.

I enjoy Halo as frantic and fast paced as possible, it's why I play MLG mostly. In that respect the prospect of thruster based BR battles has me bursting at the seams. Need to temper such expectations though.

If it only propelled you a few feet and took a decent amount of time to recharge, I think that would be awesome.
Could add a whole new layer to strafing.

ManBearPanda

Neo Member
Unfortunately, I don't think that AAs are going anywhere. I've accepted that we're going to be stuck with AAs, for better or worse, and my hope at this point is that 343i at least tries to refine them, and turn them into something that complements gunplay, not something that replaces it. I really think that if Bungie got the basic player traits down (and vehicles, maps, and weapon placement on maps) in Reach, AAs wouldn't be complained about as much. But because Bungie whiffed with Reach, all the other problems were accentuated further than they would've been had Bungie nailed the basics.

Karl2177

We're attempting to do the defiant zombie achievement. Message Karl2177, CyReN CE, nzapster, or thezerofire to join. We've got 7 right now.

Arnie

If it only propelled you a few feet and took a decent amount of time to recharge, I think that would be awesome.
Could add a whole new layer to strafing.

Whilst I'm with you on this one it's sobering to note that such a bolded description could've applied to bloom a couple of years ago.

Adding layers to Halo is like cooking scrambled eggs. Change the formula too much and it becomes an omelette.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Unfortunately, I don't think that AAs are going anywhere. I've accepted that we're going to be stuck with AAs, for better or worse, and my hope at this point is that 343i at least tries to refine them.

But aside from re-using AL, jet pack etc from Reach, what could they possibly have for new AA ideas? That's the only thing keeping me from being worried, although I could easily be proven wrong...

Whilst I'm with you on this one it's sobering to note that such a bolded description could've applied to bloom a couple of years ago.

Adding layers to Halo is like cooking scrambled eggs. Change the formula too much and it becomes an omelette.

Definitely, but Armor Abilities were way too different from each other.
It is impossible to balance them all into the same gametypes on the same map.
However, having just a thruster is a much more limited addition and can fit into the sandbox much easier.

I don't think AAs will return.
The reason Bungie got away with adding armor abilities is because they used the excuse that the Spartan IIIs had them.
But MC is a SII, and I think the thruster idea is much more possible.

Fracas

#fuckonami
For those clips I'm filming for Over, are there any specific settings to use for each match? I know armor lock isn't in Team Objective, but that's the only change I know from stock gametypes.

Arnie

Definitely, but Armor Abilities were way too different from each other.
It is impossible to balance them all into the same gametypes on the same map.
However, having just a thruster is a much more limited addition and can fit into the sandbox much easier.

I don't think AAs will return.
The reason Bungie got away with adding armor abilities is because they used the excuse that the Spartan IIIs had them.
But MC is a SII, and I think the thruster idea is much more possible.

Good points. If thrusters are a universal gameplay addition then it shouldn't pose a huge problem.

I remember the idea of armour abilities initially floating about following the Morello leaks and I distinctly opposed the idea here because it changed that level playing field which Halo multiplayer has always been based around. It's why starting weapons are enforced, as are base character traits. Any alterations to such things are a product of map movement, be it to pick up weapons or power ups.

I loved this approach. I could see a player at a distance and know every trick in his playbook and act accordingly. This wasn't possible in Reach and it lead to numerous instances where I'd frustratingly see my opponent dart around a corner when I thought I had him.

The pleasure comes from knowing the obstacle you face and overcoming it, not failing to beat an obstacle that was never made clear to you. That's actually the definition of frustration.

The pleasure comes from knowing the obstacle you face and overcoming it, not failing to beat an obstacle that was never made clear to you. That's actually the definition of frustration.

Exactly what I was about to say.

There were so many occasions in Reach where I would analyze a situation, confront it, only to be sideswiped by an unpredictable factor.
Such as an enemy going into armor lock or overwhelming you with a jetpack.

Arnie

There were so many occasions in Reach where I would analyze a situation, confront it, only to be sideswiped by an unpredictable factor.

Or a bullet that pinged off nine inches to the left.

Retro

I'm hoping the Thrusters are gonna be for a built-in Sprint with a few extra movement options like Long Jumps. If they stretch the mechanic out to that Dash / Shoulder Ram / Slide thing I posted a while ago, I'd be very surprised.

AAs should be tied to weapons so they have better control over them, and shouldn't have as much impact on play.

Jetpacks need to go away forever. Armor lock needs to be nerfed down to something like a little temporary Overshield, if it's kept at all.

Computron

Some would argue that a certain small level of unpredictability is what makes things fun. Like having your chopper explode and the wheels roll off only to kill an enemy 30 seconds later.

For those clips I'm filming for Over, are there any specific settings to use for each match? I know armor lock isn't in Team Objective, but that's the only change I know from stock gametypes.

Well make sure you don't use the stock disc settings. All of those objective gametypes are broken/had updates in MM (Flag and Assault don't even have the correct respawn times.

If no one has recent gametypes, this site has some. They are not recent TU ones, but they are some of the Bungie updated gametypes.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Bingo, bitches. Let's play!

h4bingo.png

Damn, my controller seems really messed up, looking up is really slow sometimes, but normal other times. The other directions including down seemed fine. I know someone else here would have come across similar issues, deadzone was a discussion point here a while back. Did anyone ever come across a reasonable fix?

I have got a third controller, but im wary of making that as manky and broken as the first two lol. Would rather fix the problem if at all possible.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Some would argue that a certain small level of unpredictability is what makes things fun. Like having your chopper explode and the wheels roll off only to kill an enemy 30 seconds later.

But are you actually arguing in favour of AA's with this?

I appreciate a good pylon splatter, but if Bungie added pylon magnetism that worked 1/4 times, I'd be pissed.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Man this coming week is going to be so good.

Monday Halo news and Ghost Recon Online closed beta.

Tuesday ME3. And it's all during spring break. Fuck yeah.

Also, I don't know what the didact is, but is there a chance that the "new enemy" may be some type of rogue Forerunner AI (like an "evil" guilty spark?)

I haven't had time to check out any of the new books.

I think he's saying the Didact will be the new enemy. A reasonable assumption based one what 343 said in the terminals, but given the way the Forerunners have been treated in past Halo games, I have my doubts.
Well, weren't the Forerunners supposed to be humans up until 343 took over the reigns? :lol

G2 or 05

Also bear in mind that it's a bingo card. With wild cards and things I think have no chance or appearing, in addition to the things I'm almost certain will be. =)
Ah-ha, gotcha.
Calvin ball and Homer's car are the certain things, yes?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

Monday Halo news and Ghost Recon Online closed beta.

Also, I don't know what the didact is, but is there a chance that the "new enemy" may be some type of rogue Forerunner AI (like an "evil" guilty spark?)

The Composer.

Master Builder.

Oh my.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I don't know what any of this means!!!

I can only assume you are referencing some main AI that controls the construction of all other forerunner tech... (kind of like that mini installation that was creating a new Halo)

My top four suspects for the "big bad" of the next Halo trilogy are (in no particular order);

1) The Master Builder, a disgraced Forerunner who designed and built the Halo array. Assumed dead

2) The Composer, a mystery entity or machine, it is uncertain, that can retard Flood infection and turn living beings into Monitors, preserve living being as coded information and can transfer such coded beings from one form into another

3) The Didact, a military Forerunner leader who fought and won against against ancient Humanity and the being that (as far as we know) activated the Halo array 100,000 years ago

4) The Librarian, a goody two shoes Forerunner who secretly worked with the Master Builder, Didact's lover and responsible for inflicting pain and misery on Humanity for her own needs and purposes
(I', inclined to call her the Karen Travis's Halsey of the Forerunners =P)

Honestly, I hopw it's someone brand new and unknown. It's probably Didact.

If push comes to shove, here's two more.

The Flood. Yep, zombies don't stay dead for long.

343 Guilty Spark. A copy (or the original version) of
this character is roaming about. Apparently thinks the
Librarian is still alive

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
My top four suspects for the "big bad" of the next Halo trilogy are (in particular order);

1) The Master Builder, a disgraced Forerunner who designed and built the Halo array, assumed dead

2) The Composer, a mystery entity or machine, it is uncertain, that can retard Flood infection and turn living beings into Monitors, preserve living being as coded information and can transfer such coded beings from one form into another

3) The Didact, a military Forerunner leader who fought and won against against ancient Humanity and the being that (as far as we know) activated the Halo array 100,000 years ago

4) The Librarian, a goody two shoes Forerunner who secretly worked with the Master Builder, Didact's lover and responsible for inflicting pain and misery on Humanity for her own needs and purposes

Honestly, I hopw it's someone brand new and unknown. It's probably Didact.

Thanks for clearing some things up for me. All of those sound good tbh.

Reading about the Composer reminds me how confused Primordium left me. I wish there was a simple-to-read summary of what happened in the novel with definitions explaining the terms introduced over the last two books.

Dani, is FUD still going up with that timeline?

Monday Halo news and Ghost Recon Online closed beta and holy shit AC3 trailer that looks awesome.

fixed

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Reading about the Composer reminds me how confused Primordium left me. I wish there was a simple-to-read summary of what happened in the novel with definitions explaining the terms introduced over the last two books.

Dani, is FUD still going up with that timeline?

We're doing some shifting around of content originally planned for February, now pushed back to this month, including the Timeline which only exists in early draft form at the moment.

On the bright side, we weren't expecting a Halo 4 reveal this soon, so we'll be able to tie things into any of the relevant information from Halo 4. Should be a fun read, we hope. =)

Karl2177

I was going to join up with you again, Cyren, but my Xbox can't connect to Live. I can connect to the internet, but it fails at the Xbox Live test. Sorry. :/

Computron

But are you actually arguing in favour of AA's with this?

I appreciate a good pylon splatter, but if Bungie added pylon magnetism that worked 1/4 times, I'd be pissed.

Inconsistency is one thing, but adding armor abilities is another. It just means you got one more thing to keep track of. It's not impossible to be able to predict and keep track of people using armor lock, invisibility, evade or sprint, but that doesn't mean I like them as they are in reach.

I think the sweet spot of game mechanics was somewhere between halo 3 and reach. Armor abilities are an interesting idea and have potential to really make gameplay more varied and interesting, but in their current implementation, it all seems to boil down to people picking sprint at more competitive levels. Honestly I wish there were more mechanics, but balancing them has to be a nightmare, as we can see with reach.

That's why Halo 4 is exciting. Bigger, faster spartans with different armor and abilities.

Ramirez

If any of Dani's enemies for Halo 4 turn out to be true it would be a surprise to me, I don't know anything about any of them...

heckfu

Banned
If any of Dani's enemies for Halo 4 turn out to be true it would be a surprise to me, I don't know anything about any of them...

The Greg Bear novels really are pretty good reads and have interesting and new characters like some of the ones mentioned above.

Ramirez

The Greg Bear novels really are pretty good reads and have interesting and new characters like some of the ones mentioned above.

Yea, I know they're from the novels. Part of me would still be really shocked if they go all in with linking the books and games. I know they've stated they want more continuity between them, guess I'm just used to how Bungie ignored them and it just doesn't even register in my head as a possibility.

Truthfully, I don't expect anything new to the overall cannon, at least yet, but I hope our enemies will be new from a game perspective. I fully expect the Flood to appear, I just hope it isn't the Flood we know and love/hate.

I really hope the Forerunners appear, and then maybe just maybe the games can touch things such as Precursors and beyond. Also, I speculate that for enemies we may encounter ambient wildlife, such as the Gúta, but more developed and complex.

As for the end of the art trailer I got the feeling it was a Flood infected Forerunner. Man, Monday morning or a leak before that cannot come soon enough.

Yea, I know they're from the novels. Part of me would still be really shocked if they go all in with linking the books and games. I know they've stated they want more continuity between them, guess I'm just used to how Bungie ignored them and it just doesn't even register in my head as a possibility.

I really think 343 is approaching the extended cannon from a completely different direction, bringing it into a much more relevant ground, integrating it with the games. I am sure anything that existed in the books but is new to game players will be introduced in such a way that it seems to be brand new, as it most likely would be for the MC. Im pretty excited as it could mean really good things for the overall story.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Who did he say it would be?

Didact. Before the end of the Halo 4 art trailer there a symbol that flashes - Didact's. He's most likely given the hints and one more people believe will be.

I don't want it to be Didact for various reasons and hoping it won't be.

I actually hope it's the Librarian and The Composer. That would turn expectations upside down.

In the latest book, the "mother" of the Spartan program was given some "shocking" treatment by some of the characters. She went from being this brilliant scientist to a sick child abuser - all from a different perspective of course. I have this theory about the Librarian. Right now she is seemingly painted as this saintly Forerunner figure, a motherly genius, but I'm sure a different perspective wouldn't paint her in such a nice light.... =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom