• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

I've had this conversation with so many god damn people on here I forgot who the last person was but here is my response:

No, I don't care if there is a number/medal/whatever next to my name, what I care about is the game matching people up according to their skill. I don't want a person who has only just started playing Halo on my team and doesn't know how to call out/aim, I want someone who will actually help the team instead of running off and giving the other team 10 kills before he can get 1.

Ok, so why does the lack of a visual rank (so far) make you hesitant to buy the game?

So how does unlocking the other 6 Specializations early work, is it just a code?
No idea, but it makes me wonder why they're even being unlocked early if it's going to take a considerable amount of time getting to them. I'm sure there are going to be people who will spend all their free time playing and ranking up, so it may be useful to them. The only reason I was still interested in the LE was because of the extra specializations, but at the rate I'll be playing it's basically a non-issue now.

Disconect

Neo Member
Hi,
My name is heckfu. I live in the southeastern part of the United States where elastic pants reign supreme and Mountain Dew flows like water sparkling under the midday sun.

I welcome loosening my belt prophylactically, eagerly anticipating the weight gain and insulin shortage I'm about to earn.

OR, I can skip that double XP garbage and just play my balls off.
Use it (XP),your lucky to have the exclusivity in US.
I would.

feel

Random thought: Either advancing through Halo 4's leveling system is too quick and people will run out of bars to fill fast, or it takes a while and all the specializations will be unlocked by the time you get to them rendering the LE exclusives useless.

Random thought 2: Seriously people will be wasting time manually inserting codes from a drink instead of playing the fucking game they've been waiting for so long?

Mexican pirate needs to upload more stuff.

For the inferior 50pppGAF, last time I'll post it.

Halo 4 LE is back in stock at Amazon.
LTTP

LE back up for preorder at Amazon. Hurry up and order before they go back out of stock.

Random thought: Either advancing through Halo 4's leveling system is too quick and people will run out of bars to fill fast, or it takes a while and all the specializations will be unlocked by the time you get to them rendering the LE exclusives useless.
That's pretty much my thought.

TCKaos

You guys should just play SpOps with me and/or Ghaleon until you get enough SpartyPoints to make your favorite loadout.

That'll have to wait until after Campaign. I need my Mark VI.

LTTP

That's pretty much my thought.

Yeah, that's one of the main reasons I cancelled my LE pre-order. As much as I love the lore I'm not paying an extra $40 for content I may not get to use, some paper goods, some armor I certainly won't use, a blatantly inferior version of the War Games Pass, a steel box and a digital version of Forward Unto Dawn that I probably won't be able to watch. This coming from someone who bought the Reach Legendary Edition.

broony

I've had this conversation with so many god damn people on here I forgot who the last person was but here is my response:

No, I don't care if there is a number/medal/whatever next to my name, what I care about is the game matching people up according to their skill. I don't want a person who has only just started playing Halo on my team and doesn't know how to call out/aim, I want someone who will actually help the team instead of running off and giving the other team 10 kills before he can get 1.

Ranking doesn't equal skill matching at all though. I'm sure there is skill matching in there.

Mindwipe

When I was at Hackney Weekend over the summer they literally couldn't give Mountain Dew away. Double XP would not be enough (it still seems pretty dickish to the non-US playerbase).

Beckx

I sold my Dishonored dlc for $30 yesterday, thought I would only get $5. People man..

Holy what? Did you sell this on eBay? I need to get on this.

God I love this game, btw. Have only spent around two hours so far, but have only finished the first level. Crept around the prison for an hour, but then was horrified to find that somehow I'd killed one soldier. Went back to an earlier save and
found that even though the dumpster by the door will protect the *player* from the explosion, an unconscious guard will be killed.
Took care of that, finished with no kills, no alerts, no detected bodies, etc. Spent a long time just wandering the safe house & reading books.

I may only finish one playthrough by the time H4 is out, but I want to start doing ghost speed runs with this.

My only hope is that the 50 ranks don't slow as much as Reach did..

From your lips to 343's ears. Progression in Reach is miserable.

Also, how will progression work for Silvers? I still don't have a clear understanding of whether, once downloaded, SpOps can be played together by gold & silver accounts in local co-op. If not, I guess that means silvers (my son) don't get to unlock much other than what comes from weekly campaign challenges?

It's really poor form to continue to promote shitty eating habits to young people. Maybe Halo 5 will come with a coupon for free insulin shots.

You have an incredibly ignorant view on this. Of course it's up to the consumer on whether or not to purchase products, but it's obvious people struggle with that type of willpower constantly. Over a third of US adults are obese, and using shitty marketing practices that ultimately give the finger to that statistic and the people who are or will struggle with obesity is fucking pathetic.

Nov 6: eyes on Prop 37 in California. What happens if Dew/Doritos have to come with a "made with genetically modified corn" warning? Go vote, Californicators.

You guys should just play SpOps with me and/or Ghaleon until you get enough SpartyPoints to make your favorite loadout.

Down for that.

--------------------------

Thanks for the heads up on the LE from Amazon. Put in a pre-order but still conflicted. I have a pre-order for a regular at Gamestop, too. Wonder if I know anyone who needs a gift.

Watching HaloOrbit's video browsing the armory and the player selects the Scanner Helmet. It would've looked half decent without the giant floppy drive attached to it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I cancelled mine LE at Gamestop and went back to the standard edition.

The employees were starring at me like a was a terrorist.

I'm only keeping mine because I already put 10 dollar credit on it, so it's not costing me much of a difference between it and a standard+season pass. Plus Halo is my favorite franchise.

If it weren't for that credit though, I'd drop it in a second, especially now seeing how it's not limited (back in stock).

G17

Sad that the LE has no advantages at all really that makes up for the price difference.(confirmed since many retailers have the specialization unlocks with standard)

I'll still be buying it though. :/

That'll have to wait until after Campaign. I need my Mark VI.

Yeah, that's one of the main reasons I cancelled my LE pre-order. As much as I love the lore I'm not paying an extra $40 for content I may not get to use, some paper goods, some armor I certainly won't use, a blatantly inferior version of the War Games Pass, a steel box and a digital version of Forward Unto Dawn that I probably won't be able to watch. This coming from someone who bought the Reach Legendary Edition.

I'll be doing a solo run of the Campaign first, then SpOps, with some Forge tinkering in between. After all that, I'll be hitting up War Games.

As to the bold, is that really the case? It seems really odd that the SpartyPass wouldn't be the same thing for everyone.

Project

The part that sort of settled my nerves before reading the bulletin was:

While we’ve discussed bits and pieces of it, there has yet to be a comprehensive breakdown of the entirety of that system in a single place. I would say that’s about to change, but everybody knows I’m not all that comprehensive.

343 always leaves us hanging. I think that every time I've read a weekly bulletin I felt like I just watched The Empire Strikes Back..

and I've been waiting for info on the ranking system since.. well the day halo reach came out -_-

JHall

I'm only keeping mine because I already put 10 dollar credit on it, so it's not costing me much of a difference between it and a standard+season pass. Plus Halo is my favorite franchise.

If it weren't for that credit though, I'd drop it in a second, especially now seeing how it's not limited (back in stock).

For me I can't justify paying $100 plus taxes for fancy packaging, an AR weapon skin, some bullshit armor skin, FUD DVD where I can just watch it on youtube for free, and also a season pass to a game that I might not enjoy.

So I'm going to wait to buy the season pass with the standard edition if I really enjoy the game. Plus, I want those extra two helmets you get when you buy it off the dashboard.,

Edit: Also, those extra specializations you get with the LE at launch. I know I won't use, I will be using
sleight of hand
dexterity and shielding or mobility.

TCKaos

I'll be doing a solo run of the Campaign first, then SpOps, with some Forge tinkering in between. After all that, I'll be hitting up War Games.

As to the bold, is that really the case? It seems really odd that the SpartyPass wouldn't be the same thing for everyone.

The LE War Games Pass doesn't come with the Strider or Scanner helmet, unlike the vanilla War Games pass. You get the maps all the same, but there's still content being left out for those putting in extra money.

If that's the one that also changed the FOV, I remember playing it on a LAN, pretty awesome.
Yes it is. Also added the 3shot pistol.

People talking about CEA depresses me...
I LOVED CEA when I got it, the combat just seemed so much more intense than any other Halo game.
Then the disc got this giant ring cut into it in the disc drive and I can't play it anymore.
It goes on sale fairly often.

Reading it now.

LE back up for preorder at Amazon. Hurry up and order before they go back out of stock.
Hmmm. Wonder how long it will be available? Already have mine preordered from Best Buy.

ekQrPl.jpg
Nice work! Looking forward to playing it.

Moa

For me I can't justify paying $100 plus taxes for fancy packaging, an AR weapon skin, some bullshit armor skin, FUD DVD where I can just watch it on youtube for free, and also a season pass to a game that I might not enjoy.

So I'm going to wait to buy the season pass with the standard edition if I really enjoy the game. Plus, I want those extra two helmets you get when you buy it off the dashboard.,

Edit: Also, those extra specializations you get with the LE at launch. I know I won't use, I will be using
sleight of hand
dexterity and shielding or mobility.
The funny thing is, the version of Forward unto Dawn for the Limited Edition isn't on a DVD, it will be streamed digitally.

Do people have a headsets on their head only to warm up their ears?
Duh.

feel

I'm sticking to the LE, it still has the season pass for the maps and then it's $15 more for the random fiction items and steelcase, worth it for me.

Nov 6: eyes on Prop 37 in California. What happens if Dew/Doritos have to come with a "made with genetically modified corn" warning? Go vote, Californicators.
Very interesting. Sounds like a losing battle, but it would be a step in the right direction if passed (of course America is lagging behind European countries on this, lol)
The LE War Games Pass doesn't come with the Strider or Scanner helmet, unlike the vanilla War Games pass. You get the maps all the same, but there's still content being left out for those putting in extra money.
Wow, that's ridiculous. Definitely not wasting money on the LE, then.

Very interesting. Sounds like a losing battle, but it would be a step in the right direction if passed (of course America is lagging behind European countries on this, lol)
I don't think the government should make companies add warnings like that. I really doubt there are people out there who are unaware of the fact that Doritos aren't healthy. If there are God bless them. People need to make their own decisions about what they eat, it is is not the government's place to do so.

errr Halo 4.

Hi,
My name is heckfu. I live in the southeastern part of the United States where elastic pants reign supreme and Mountain Dew flows like water sparkling under the midday sun.

I welcome loosening my belt prophylactically, eagerly anticipating the weight gain and insulin shortage I'm about to earn.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

cocamola

Banned
Yup, streamed through Waypoint on console or the website I believe.

Wasn't the Reach Legendary Commentary like this?

I never watched the Reach legendary. Even i own it somewhere. The Halo 2 making of DVD is by far the greatest though.

feel

Those 2 helmets will be unlocked eventually, does anyone really NEED them at launch next to the other 40 helmets? The LE steelcase is a cool physical item that you would look at a few years from now and think back fondly of the Halo 4 launch and whatnot.

Hypertrooper getting his creep on.

iY2PN22KTuOtE.gif

Moa

I never watched the Reach legendary. Even i own it somewhere. The Halo 2 making of DVD is by far the greatest though.
You can't watch the Reach legendary anymore, when they updated Waypoint for Anniversarys release, the option to watch it was removed.

I'm worried in the future, the option to watch Forward into Dawn will be too.

You can't watch the Reach legendary anymore, when they updated Waypoint for Anniversarys release, the option to watch it was removed.

So they removed content that I paid for?

Overdoziz

Banned
Would've gone for the LE if Forge was actually improved significantly.
It's just the standard edition (With all the pre-order stuff) for me now.

JHall

Hi,

jack-nicholson-nodding.gif

Beckx

So they removed content that I paid for?

Yeah, this is the heart of my conflict with the LE. We're not "buying" anything - instead it's like we're getting a free movie ticket, but this movie may have annoying ads with stupid robots in front of it.

Even little changes would completely change my mind about this: make extended FUD downloadable via the Zune Marketplace, or even just a coupon for money of the Blu-Ray/DVD.

I don't think that's true. I know I've attempted to watch it after CEA came out, it's just buried under submenus. Been a while since I've tried, since the Waypoint app spends more time buffering than it does streaming.

Top Bottom