• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

senador

Banned
Looks like a power house spiritual successor. The immediate thing I don't like about the look of Complex is that it looks like forge pieces. Seriously, if you're gonna have a bazillion forge maps that are gray, at least make your base maps that ship with the game look different. Bleah. So many of these halo 4 multiplayer maps are all gray. Not liking that too much.

Eh, i can at least appreciate the unique environment of Abandon, but the structures do indeed look like forge pieces. Where are the covenant themed maps or just something truly different? Adrift looks like Anchor 9 to me. I can't think of any truly unique looking maps in Halo 4; Abandon might actually be the closest thing. Where's the stone look of Sanctuary or concrete look of Terminal, Zanzibar, and lockout? Where's the indoor home-feel of Reflection in Reach? I guess much of Halo2's map textures were the same, but the color variation really distinguished each map. I liked the nice desert feel of Burial Mounds, or the cave-like feel of waterworks. The Indiana Jones temple feel of Warlock. I dunno. Just thinking out loud i guess. In Reach, and now Halo 4, it seems like devs are pushing the human/forerunner themes too much.

EDIT: I think I'm being too nostalgic for Halo 2.

I've never agreed with you more.

Complex is the biggest offender, those pieces look just like Forge, and they are everywhere. The bland ground and hills in the back don't help it. Looks a lot like Boardwalk. This is a video game! Go a bit crazy make some bright looking shit. At minimum make the buildings look different from the new Forge pieces. The interiors at least look ok with interesting lighting.

Some ancient stone settings like Sanctuary with some bright blue water and green jungle around it would be great. Since the maps aren't from campaign and not necessarily on Requiem it seemed like we would have gotten more options like that. Oh well I guess, they still look way better than Reach maps.

Raide

Say what you want, but Halo 4s shadows and different environments could do it for me. The fact that Forge World used the same skybox, palette, etc just made it redundant. the shadows really make the map seem legit and not just LegoLand: Grayscale edition. I really think Forge looks great. And who knows? Maybe we'll get a Sandbox kind of deal for 4 ;)

/SLRP

If the new lighting works as well as they say, then building the maps in certain areas will be able to get rid of that bright grey mapping that seems to plague all Forge Maps. Still would love a Snow map to appear as well.

MrBig

Say what you want, but Halo 4s shadows and different environments could do it for me. The fact that Forge World used the same skybox, palette, etc just made it redundant. the shadows really make the map seem legit and not just LegoLand: Grayscale edition. I really think Forge looks great. And who knows? Maybe we'll get a Sandbox kind of deal for 4 ;)

/SLRP

My problem with the shadows is that they're basically using some sort of a decal system to map them to objects, meaning afaik you won't see cast shadows on dynamic objects such as players and crates, but instead they will appear at whatever the default lighting conditions are. They probably also wont take advantage of what a system such as this should be able to allow, being able to light a scene super cheaply by placing static lights in forge that are baked into the lightmap without affecting performance. With simple light/dark shadows being cast inside of a mostly indoors map you will probably end up with even worse depth perception than Reach's forge. I hope I'm wrong though.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I will agree that just adding shadows and new overall environments helps the forge maps a TON.

Still want other palettes (if not color selection, give us Covenant, USNC, Jungle, Arctic, whatever) but never seeing Forge World 16 times in a row makes me infinitely happier.

EDIT: Watching that forge video, it's nice that they have big flat panels (unless they did in Reach). Makes making floors easier.

bGanci

Banned
the search for something new and interesting continues

Halo 1: Revolutionized FPS games on consoles
Halo 2: Revolutionized online gaming on consoles
Halo 3: Introduced Theater mode with upload video to internet capabilities, and Forge mode to tweak gametypes and maps to your specifications

-- 5 years pass, the next numbered title in one of the largest gaming franchises in the world launches --

Halo 4: Forge has better lighting
I think halo Reach did a good job with character customization. I can't think of a better one? Also I know some might not agree but I believe reach had a great story. Loved it.

broony

Halo 3: Introduced Theater mode with upload video to internet capabilities, and Forge mode to tweak gametypes and maps to your specifications

-- 5 years pass, the next numbered title in one of the largest gaming franchises in the world launches --

Weekly episodic content is a pretty big deal.

Let's brush over the 50 missions contained in Season 1 of SpOps so we can say Forge lighting is the revolutionary thing in Halo 4.

:lol

G17

Is it just me or does the SAW look incredibly powerful from mid range on the forge gamespot video today? (at around the 3:20) mark. Good tool for jetpackers.

I really hope infinity playlists don't make up the majority of playlists.

Don't worry, they'll only get gameplay altering unlocks faster. You can still load out with your AR and pistol.
Assuming it goes from private -> SR1 -> SR2 *option to unlock and acquire BR. If im not mistakened. Its not even an issue. Purpose of AR start is merely limiting Experienced players from donging Bks.

Besides "AR's are OP" ;)

DeadNames

Banned
Still would love a Snow map to appear as well.

Longbow.

A desert map would be awesome. Or maybe an urban setting. One problem that I'm saw in Reach is that all the maps were some UNSC thing. 4 seems to be suffering the same problem: a UNSC scientific base stationed on some planet.

Halo 3: Record videos, change weapon placements

See, I can be reductionist too. ;)

Raide

Longbow.

A desert map would be awesome. Or maybe an urban setting. One problem that I'm saw in Reach is that all the maps were some UNSC thing. 4 seems to be suffering the same problem: a UNSC scientific base stationed on some planet.

I was hoping for a nice Forge Environment made of snow but Longbow does look awesome.

I agree on the UNSC front. Seems a few too many UNSC bases floating around. :D

All of those were a result of new technology.

Nothing like that is there benefit Halo 4.

LD2k

Neo Member
spartan ops is bite sized firefight and firefight was removed from the game...
With full on cut scenes that interweave into the narrative and the first season is longer than Halo 3: ODST?

mmk.

That being said, I'm looking forward to Spartan Ops maybe even more than War games. That will change real fast, but I'm pumped for it.

Never touch Forge but am excited to see what the community comes up with.

Seems like MLG has some pretty good options here with just the default maps.

Slayer/CTF Haven
Slayer/CTF Solace
Slayer/CTF Adrift
Oddball on Complex
KOTH on Abandon

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Trashing old games to win a point from a guy who does not care what you say seems...misguided.

I was having some fun and joking around. Come on now. We all know Kyle's shtick by now.

iVo4Uo7wkcZhg.gif

Gazzawa

Let's brush over the 50 missions contained in Season 1 of SpOps so we can say Forge lighting is the revolutionary thing in Halo 4.

Lets just brush over the fact that Halo Wars launched in 09 and still is the most successful selling RTS on a console. It is also fun!

CyReN

Seems like MLG has some pretty good options here with just the default maps.

Slayer/CTF Haven
Slayer/CTF Solace
Slayer/CTF Adrift
Oddball on Complex
KOTH on Abandon

My 11 for the event so far:

• IS on Haven
  • Oddball Haven
  • IS on Complex
  • CTF on Complex
  • Slayer on Adrift
  • CTF on Adrift
  • IS on Abandon
  • Oddball on Abandon
  • IS on Ragnarok
  • CTF on Ragnarok
  • Dominion on Exile

I'm not sure how flexible Dominion is so far, can it be on smaller maps? Along with Assault if it's in Halo 4.

feel

Halo 3: Record videos, change weapon placements

See, I can be reductionist too. ;)
Halo 4: Look at this!! WOOOW! It's fucking nothing.gif

First 3 games still come on top.

9c605d3f1a27d258b2b2ad2c180052a0.jpg

vs

f185f751862a9c7a587532b95dbb8ccd.jpg

I like the halo 4 ones

Halo 3 gets my vote since there is more art integrated into the package. You could remove the Halo 4 logo and MC and slap any other game franchise on the new box with no problem.

Hypertrooper getting his creep on.

So, once again, it really seems the haven't made any huge strides with forge it terms of what you can do, but rather how you do it. Forge maps look a ton easier to make now, but I really don't see this improving or changing the types of maps we will play on, it will simply make it easier to make. Also, the pallet on that map is Forgeworld all over again..and whats up with 2 of the maps using the same bland sterile UNSC look? Its like they didn't listen to peoples complaints about forge in reach at all.

Evolutionary progress and polish is greater than revolutionary feature set in my opinion. Not counting Forge, I ignore that shit.

Uhhh.. why not both?

senador

Banned
Evolutionary progress and polish is greater than revolutionary feature set in my opinion. Not counting Forge, I ignore that thing.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Speculation on competitive maps + gametypes gets me all hot and bothered.

tl;dr booooiiiiinnnggggggg

FyreWulff

Side note from that Forge video: you can enable/disable the magnets and adjust their strength (I'm guessing this is the radius that they attract to other magnet points).

6AM EST (tomorrow)

thats an odd time, figured they would want eyes on it during each release, like a 7pm release or something but thanks

Not gonna say im going disconnect my connection and throw my mbp out the window due to the leak, but I'm probably going to avoid Gaming/OT until release, figuring this thread (and the college football thread) will be a safe haven

My 11 for the event so far:

• IS on Haven
  • Oddball Haven
  • IS on Complex
  • CTF on Complex
  • Slayer on Adrift
  • CTF on Adrift
  • IS on Abandon
  • Oddball on Abandon
  • IS on Ragnarok
  • CTF on Ragnarok
  • Dominion on Exile

I'm not sure how flexible Dominion is so far, can it be on smaller maps? Along with Assault if it's in Halo 4.

Been out of the loop. Is the event going to be streamed?

feel

Halo 4 has story dlc - episodic content?
Feels like just more content delivered in a different way because they couldn't fit it into their normal schedule (which is fine), not really a fresh and exciting feature or gameplay possibility. It could only be considered a gamechanger from a publisher's point of view if the likely expensive seasons 2, 3, etc prove a wild financial success.

Top Bottom