• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Oozer3993

Streamed digitally through Waypoint, so you can bet that it won't have any of the DVD/Bluray extras.

Wrong:

* Bonus in-fiction bonus content expanding the characters and stories of Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn and their connections to Halo 4
* Special Featurette: Bringing Gaming into Reality
* Making of Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn

You can't watch the Reach legendary anymore, when they updated Waypoint for Anniversarys release, the option to watch it was removed.

I'm worried in the future, the option to watch Forward into Dawn will be too.

Wrong. I was just watching the Reach commentary yesterday. Just go into Games -> Halo: Reach and it will be one of the first options.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I had more stuff I wanted to type, but I accidentally hit post. I had to go to class, so I was just like "fuck it" lol.
"It will really be limited this time."
Ok, so why does the lack of a visual rank (so far) make you hesitant to buy the game?
I still have his quote bookmarked where he said he wouldn't buy the game if it didn't have a ranking system.

FyreWulff

Relay for Reach

- beta!
- base map idea down
- placeholder spawns, no weapon spawns, only works with slayer
- beta!
- no attempts to fix z-fighting in this version
- probably should play with Sprint and ZB.
- map is a bit bigger than we thought
- beta!. final version will be much cleaner and support all gametypes. still figuring out that outer ring.

BigShow36

So there's no way to lose XP? I shouldn't be surprised, considering that's what CoD does and how most games are nowadays, but I really liked Halo 2's system where you could actually go down ranks. It added some sense of accomplishement and urgency. Now, ranks are just a measure of how much you play, not how good you are.

FyreWulff

^ I guess people need something to do before 4 but it seems like a wasted effort.

It was done because it could be done. And the 4 version is made out of mostly Reach pieces, anyway.

It does serve an idea to give a better idea of the map's size. It's like a bigger Foundation/Zealot/Desolation/Warlock. Founzeasolockation.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
So there's no way to lose XP? I shouldn't be surprised, considering that's what CoD does and how most games are nowadays, but I really liked Halo 2's system where you could actually go down ranks. It added some sense of accomplishement and urgency. Now, ranks are just a measure of how much you play, not how good you are.

That's not the skill based system

XP is for the progression system

Skill based will likely be announced saturday

Reach had an xp progression system that was separate to a skill ranking, it just wasn't tied to non aesthetic unlocks like 4 is.

General PSA, I just traded in a couple of the extra Reach retail discs that I had, and thanks to the stacking bonuses (30% extra for "trading it in towards H4") plus a pretty high trade-in value for Reach itself, they came out to $27.50 in trade EACH. So basically I got $60 in trade for two Reach discs... SCORE.

bGanci

Banned
SPz7l.jpg

What is this?
Too big to be a watcher?

BigShow36

So he essentially is saying:

- 4v4 map
- best used for Slayer, Flood, Oddball
- lots of ramps

Heh. Wish more maps were built for CTF or better gametypes. The map looks fairly large for 4v4, and they're thinking Oddball? Eek.

Complex looks more like a BTB map than a 4v4 slayer map. Maybe if it was cut in half it would be, but given all the external areas and how big and... complex...the interal areas are, I don't see 4v4 working well at all.

So he essentially is saying:

- 4v4 map
- best used for Slayer, Flood, Oddball
- lots of ramps

Heh. Wish more maps were built for CTF or better gametypes. The map looks fairly large for 4v4, and they're thinking Oddball? Eek.
Looks like a power house spiritual successor. The immediate thing I don't like about the look of Complex is that it looks like forge pieces. Seriously, if you're gonna have a bazillion forge maps that are gray, at least make your base maps that ship with the game look different. Bleah. So many of these halo 4 multiplayer maps are all gray. Not liking that too much.

BigShow36

Looks like a power house spiritual successor. The immediate thing I don't like about the look of Complex is that it looks like forge pieces. Seriously, if you're gonna have a bazillion forge maps that are gray, at least make your base maps that ship with the game look different. Bleah. So many of these halo 4 multiplayer maps are all gray. Not liking that too much.

I was thinking the same thing. Complex and Abandon (I think thats what its called) look like forge maps. Kind of disappointing.

Complex looks more like a BTB map than a 4v4 slayer map. Maybe if it was cut in half it would be, but given all the external areas and how big and... complex...the interal areas are, I don't see 4v4 working well at all.
Agreed, it seems like a 4v4 match would be pretty slow. Seems perfect for the Dominion gametype, which they didn't seem to mention.

So like all those Forge pieces are just re-skinned from Reach.

:/
Yeah, big bummer. The pieces on Impact look like they're taken from Condemned, especially the machinery in the zero-g section.

Beckx

Forge video:

positive notes after yesterday's negativity - the lighting system goes a long way to relieve the Gray Oppression of Reach. I was not expecting it to help as much as it did, honestly, but watching the gameplay it's nowhere near as bad or monotonous as Reach's forge pieces.

You can see the Jetpack nerf in effect. The mere existence of Jetpack will continue to be annoying for some, but you have nowhere near the flight time you could achieve in Reach by feathering.

Yeah, big bummer. The pieces on Impact look like they're taken from Condemned, especially the machinery in the zero-g section.

This! I could've sworn that building was from Condemned. Glad someone else saw it.

Looks like a power house spiritual successor.

Yeah, my opinion might change when I play it, but I hate playing on Powerhouse and I don't think I'll like Complex very much. It's the only map so far that doesn't really click for me.

Raide

Nice to see some actual Forge Maps being made. Great for new comers to Forge but other than Magnets, all of that is Forge Basics. Would be nice to see them make something in the other environments and not just another floating grey world.

I will spend a load of hours playing with Forge but I cannot shake the feeling of slight disappointment that they did not push Forge. It even has the majority of objects straight from Reach. I was hoping for a load more Prefabs and building blocks.

kylej

Banned
So like all those Forge pieces are just re-skinned from Reach.

:/

the search for something new and interesting continues

Halo 1: Revolutionized FPS games on consoles
Halo 2: Revolutionized online gaming on consoles
Halo 3: Introduced Theater mode with upload video to internet capabilities, and Forge mode to tweak gametypes and maps to your specifications

-- 5 years pass, the next numbered title in one of the largest gaming franchises in the world launches --

Halo 4: Forge has better lighting

-- 5 years pass, the next numbered title in one of the largest gaming franchises in the world launches --

Halo 4: Forge has better lighting
Hey, stop being so reductive. It also adds sweet exp to grind to get to gameplay that's locked away and Mountain Dew double exp.

Fuchsdh

Forge video:

positive notes after yesterday's negativity - the lighting system goes a long way to relieve the Gray Oppression of Reach. I was not expecting it to help as much as it did, honestly, but watching the gameplay it's nowhere near as bad or monotonous as Reach's forge pieces.

You can see the Jetpack nerf in effect. The mere existence of Jetpack will continue to be annoying for some, but you have nowhere near the flight time you could achieve in Reach

It's not goijng to be all grey, at least. The pieces have a lot more contrast with the tab-white and black.

Doodis

At comic con? Seems odd they would do it there and not in a bulletin.

Not saying this specifically will happen at comic con, but from the bulletin, we know something's going down:

Now, if you’ll excuse me, there’s some preparation for NYCC that needs to happen. No, I won’t be there in person (you got lucky, this time around), however Halo 4 and an assortment of 343-ers will be there, providing a rok-ing experience on the floor and a panel that is sure to cause a meltdown or two.

I was thinking the same thing. Complex and Abandon (I think thats what its called) look like forge maps. Kind of disappointing.
Eh, i can at least appreciate the unique environment of Abandon, but the structures do indeed look like forge pieces. Where are the covenant themed maps or just something truly different? Adrift looks like Anchor 9 to me. I can't think of any truly unique looking maps in Halo 4; Abandon might actually be the closest thing. Where's the stone look of Sanctuary or concrete look of Terminal, Zanzibar, and lockout? Where's the indoor home-feel of Reflection in Reach? I guess much of Halo2's map textures were the same, but the color variation really distinguished each map. I liked the nice desert feel of Burial Mounds, or the cave-like feel of waterworks. The Indiana Jones temple feel of Warlock. I dunno. Just thinking out loud i guess. In Reach, and now Halo 4, it seems like devs are pushing the human/forerunner themes too much.

EDIT: I think I'm being too nostalgic for Halo 2.

DeadNames

Banned
Say what you want, but Halo 4s shadows and different environments could do it for me. The fact that Forge World used the same skybox, palette, etc just made it redundant. the shadows really make the map seem legit and not just LegoLand: Grayscale edition. I really think Forge looks great. And who knows? Maybe we'll get a Sandbox kind of deal for 4 ;)

/SLRP

Top Bottom