• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Don't worry, they'll only get gameplay altering unlocks faster. You can still load out with your AR and pistol.
At least my chances of the other guy collapsing into a diabetic coma before he can out-BR me have increased.

Side note from that Forge video: you can enable/disable the magnets and adjust their strength (I'm guessing this is the radius that they attract to other magnet points).
Is this another feature for people who were too intimidated to use Forge?

Is the Halo 4 Game Fuel out yet? I checked Target and didn't see any. :/
Did you look in the Big & Lumbering section? I hear they're selling it in wheeled kegs.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Feels like just more content delivered in a different way because they couldn't fit it into their normal schedule (which is fine), not really a fresh and exciting feature or gameplay possibility. It could only be considered a gamechanger from a publisher's point of view if the likely expensive seasons 2, 3, etc prove a wild financial success.
Yeah, I've been arguing this all along, too. Spartan Ops looks cool, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but thus far, it just looks like another campaign. The only thing new about it (that we know of thus far) is that it's episodic.

I feel like a vastly improved Firefight would have been better. I tried arguing this point in some gaming side Halo thread recently, but no one seemed to agree. There's a ton of room for improvement with Firefight, and it could have been amazing if handled well.

So I have managed to free up 12 spaces on my FL, in anticipation for H4. If you want on it, please send me a FR (same as my username).

The following people just made the 2012 cut:

OddOne, Robbert, Sotto, Xand and KittensDX.

The following people were the unfortunate ones:

Shanti666, PopularRevolt, KittensRevolt etc.

SpOps > Firefight.

Prove me wrong.
I like the survival aspects of ODST's Firefight, though I wish it let me set the option to have a single life. Reach's isn't very interesting to me though, but I haven't really delved into what SpOps actually is. In my mind I expect it to be a campaign level with interchangeable encounters to suit whatever narrative they decide to weave.

Oranges > Apples
Oh you can just fuck yourself. Apples reign supreme.

I like the survival aspects of ODST's Firefight, though I wish it let me set the option to have a single life. Reach's isn't very interesting to me though, but I haven't really delved into what SpOps actually is. In my mind I expect it to be a campaign level with interchangeable encounters to suit whatever narrative they decide to weave.

I fully expect firefight to return in halo 5 with a possible different playable character to bring back ODST tension.

I never got this shit. Apples are clearly the superior fruit, so I don't see how you can't compare them.
I know right? They're both FRUIT, so why not compare them? Though it really is unfair for oranges since apples are by and far so superior that it isn't even much of a comparison.

I fully expect firefight to return in halo 5 with a possible different playable character to bring back ODST tension.
Who's to say really, I guess it depends on Spartan Ops' reception. Though I don't see how Firefight can optimally be placed into matchmaking. The best parts of it were those hour+ games of holding on to dear life that wouldn't fly in matchmaking space.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe Spartan Ops will have a laugh track to make it more like a sitcom.

Fuckin' SOLD.
Every time the frame rate drops I want to see kylej's head pop out of the corner like the toasty guy from Mortal Kombat.

But really though. The only thing I can see firefight having over SpOps is the customization.
Firefight had the potential to be an awesome cooperative survival mode akin to Horde mode in Gears 3 or Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. Spartan Ops is just another campaign. We already have a campaign -- adding a second one and then just making it episodic doesn't feel like a new game mode. Or so I imagine. Hopefully I'm wrong and/or hopefully 343 brings back a revamped Firefight with Halo 5.

zlatko

Banned
At least my chances of the other guy collapsing into a diabetic coma before he can out-BR me have increased.

Is this another feature for people who were too intimidated to use Forge?

Did you look in the Big & Lumbering section? I hear they're selling it in wheeled kegs.

DOH! That's my folly. I should have checked there.

Like I mentioned before though I haven't had soda pop since early June or sooner I believe. Been doing a lot of smart eating and working out which has paid off, but to resist game fuel tied to my most hyped game of the year would be a sin.

I plan to get like 3-5 24 packs, and then convince others to drink it for me lmao.

off-topic, but:

atweet.jpg

FINALLY

will be Wii-U exclusive

Oh. That forge video had a megaton. Death screams are back!

But the sword still made zero noise when deployed.

So I have managed to free up 12 spaces on my FL, in anticipation for H4. If you want on it, please send me a FR (same as my username).

The following people just made the 2012 cut:

OddOne, Robbert, Sotto, Xand and KittensDX.

The following people were the unfortunate ones:

Shanti666, PopularRevolt, KittensRevolt etc.

You think people would want to add you? Pfft.

Tunavi

Banned
the search for something new and interesting continues

Halo 1: Revolutionized FPS games on consoles
Halo 2: Revolutionized online gaming on consoles
Halo 3: Introduced Theater mode with upload video to internet capabilities, and Forge mode to tweak gametypes and maps to your specifications

-- 5 years pass, the next numbered title in one of the largest gaming franchises in the world launches --

Halo 4: Forge has better lighting
lmao

Welcome to the digital future

Yeah, this is the heart of my conflict with the LE. We're not "buying" anything - instead it's like we're getting a free movie ticket, but this movie may have annoying ads with stupid robots in front of it.

Even little changes would completely change my mind about this: make extended FUD downloadable via the Zune Marketplace, or even just a coupon for money of the Blu-Ray/DVD.

Hey, At least you saw the commentary, I never saw the damm video because it didnt loaded in my country.

They should have just let me download the file to begin with. It would have ended up saving them trouble in the long run. It should have just been a download code if nothing else.

GhaleonEB

SpOps > Firefight.

Prove me wrong.

They are not the same things. Not much point comparing them as such - especially since the game isn't out yet.

That said, I'll dearly miss the survival element of Firefight. But I may find that counterbalanced by what Spops brings to the table.

Maybe Spartan Ops will have a laugh track to make it more like a sitcom.

Fuckin' SOLD.

I talked about this a while back in GAF customs - we need a Sitcom Skull for campaign that adds live studio audience reactions.

My plan of action for ranking up:
1. Acquire Early Specializations Unlock
2. Buy a 24-pack of game fuel, big bag of Doritos, one bottle of game fuel and another big bag of Doritos to max out my DEXP matches in just 4 purchases or $25.
3. Make the family eat all of it.
5. Hit SR-50 early as hell.
6. Unlock Pioneer as my first spec so I can keep getting bonus EXP!

Falagard

I was really hoping with Forge that you could click on a piece and switch it to a different palette easily, keeping either the same geometry and just switching the textures, or change the geometry slightly but keep the same shape and dimensions.

For example, imagine clicking on one of those sterile while pieces, and swapping it out for stone similar to Sandtrap. The stone might have more rounded edges but essentially fits together in the exact same way.

Why 343? Why???

FyreWulff

I was really hoping with Forge that you could click on a piece and switch it to a different palette easily, keeping either the same geometry and just switching the textures, or change the geometry slightly but keep the same shape and dimensions.

For example, imagine clicking on one of those sterile while pieces, and swapping it out for stone similar to Sandtrap. The stone might have more rounded edges but essentially fits together in the exact same way.

Why 343? Why???

512MB of RAM.jpg

zlatko

Banned
I talked about this a while back in GAF customs - we need a Sitcom Skull for campaign that adds live studio audience reactions.

My plan of action for ranking up:
1. Acquire Early Specializations Unlock
2. Buy a 24-pack of game fuel, big bag of Doritos, one bottle of game fuel and another big bag of Doritos to max out my DEXP matches in just 4 purchases or $25.
3. Make the family eat all of it.
5. Hit SR-50 early as hell.
6. Unlock Pioneer as my first spec so I can keep getting bonus EXP!

Could you show me your formula on how this equates to max dexp possible? Also, when you say big bag and bottle, do you mean 2 liter bottle ?

willow ve

Is the Halo 4 Game Fuel out yet? I checked Target and didn't see any. :/

Doesn't seem like it. I found a bunch of the small bags of Doritos though.

I've been checking around at a few stores. All I've see so far are the small bags (individual serving) of Doritos and a few random 2 Liters and 20 oz bottles of Dew and Diet Dew with the double xp codes.

No 12/24 packs or even 6 packs of 20 oz bottles had the codes yet. Probably makes sense as the game is still almost a month out, the website to enter codes doesn't let you enter codes yet, and Doritos and Dew probably have a fairly short time between being put on a shelf and being purchased.

DeadNames

Banned
I've been checking around at a few stores. All I've see so far are the small bags (individual serving) of Doritos and a few random 2 Liters and 20 oz bottles of Dew and Diet Dew with the double xp codes.

No 12/24 packs or even packs of 20 oz bottles had the codes yet. Probably makes sense as the game is still almost a month out, the website to enter codes doesn't let you enter codes yet, and Doritos and Dew probably have a fairly short time between being put on a shelf and being purchased.

Are the codes still on the outside?

GhaleonEB

My desire to more quickly unlock things that should not be locked up is offset by my desire to not give Pepsi any of my money, nor to eat any of their products. So I will simply play Spops until I've got the toys I want.

512MB of RAM.jpg

This just, um, highlights my dismay at how weak the highlights are on the objects. We can toggle lights on the pieces, but they are so small as to be inconsequential in most situations, and certainly not helpful in overall aesthetic. It's a bummer they didn't make them more pronounced.

Ramirez

I want to know in what universe Complex is a 4v4 map...it's huge.

I'll also never understand GAF's raging anger towards any type of snack food. Drinking a couple Mt. Dews & eating a bag of Dorito's isn't going to kill you. Just like videogames, moderation is key. ;)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
My desire to more quickly unlock things that should not be locked up is offset by my desire to not give Pepsi any of my money, nor to eat any of their products. So I will simply play Spops until I've got the toys I want.
Same. Except replace "play SpOps" with "complain about using an AR". I'm waiting to play SpOps with my buddy, and he's not getting the game until a week or two after it comes out.

I'll also never understand GAF's raging anger towards any type of snack food. Drinking a couple Mt. Dews & eating a bag of Dorito's isn't going to kill you. Just like videogames, moderation is key. ;)
I don't hate snack food. I hate gross snack food. If we were getting Double XP Häagen-Dazs, I'd be buying a whole case.

Tunavi

Banned
the problem is that many people don't moderate.

senador

Banned
All the top of the line smartphones now have more memory than the 360.

Well duh. It's just that nearly all marketing and such is pushed at promoting unhealthy life styles. I'd wager most kids, their parents, and many adults don't know any better and it's helping to form unhealthy habits early on and helping to fill out the stereotypical gamer. Pun intended.

But yeah, moderation and self control are key. I also don't see how a healthy food-based double XP system would actually work work. Having it on bottled water is an idea but bottled water is stupid. The only way I could see it really working is to have plans with grocery stores so that when you purchase X amount of fruits, vegetables, and other healthy things you get a code on your receipt for your purchases. That just doesn't seem feasible.

The way GAF goes on about junk food/sugary food, like the mothafuckas will contract diabetus if they even glance at a Pepsi bottle.

Fuchsdh

Seriously? People would take a boring Apple over a citrus fruit? I mean neither of them are cherries, peaches or strawberries, but still.

Although Clementines > oranges. No muss or fuss.

*Drops in and sees that people are comparing apples to oranges* This. is. HaloGaf.

My addition: Nothing rhymes with orange, so its name is cooler. Apple makes ultra trendy technology, so it is sucky. Orange wins. (I have an iphone)

Seriously? People would take a boring Apple over a citrus fruit? I mean neither of them are cherries, peaches or strawberries, but still.

Wisdom.

Clementines need better lobbyists.

Thank you for the wisdom regarding the inferiority of apples.
But clementines? WAAAAAYYY too sweet. Oranges are much better, Clementines just taste like straight sugar.

Boring?! How many ways can you enjoy an apple? You can pretty much turn an apple into anything. The fuck you gonna get out of an orange, unless you really enjoy peeling or something.

Tangerines are the superior orange, but apples are still king of the land.

Top Bottom