• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

MrDaravon

I've asked multiple times in this thread if that's going to be the day 1 playlists or not, but no one from 343 have confirmed or denied (unless I missed it)

So they cut Assault, and Grifball is in?

I don't understand what was wrong with Assault being in and having an option under Assault settings > Sides > Grifball, just like Reach?

Isn't Grifball based off Oddball this time though instead of Assault/bomb?

I think you're delving too much into the terminology they've used. Things like Magnets, quickly duplicating items, removing by type etc. are all features that will be massively useful to serious Forgers. I think the dynamic lighting and multiple environments will really help to make the maps look different too.
No, I definitely think it's a step forward, and I expect a much more varied array of maps this time out. But it still seems like they're reluctant to make it too complex or intimidating, or too much of a blank canvas, so every new feature, while useful and beneficial for all, is designed firstly to make things easier and quicker, rather than potentially more flexible and useful (in expert hands). Forge isn't for the average player, but what comes out of it -- once some crazy dudes bury hundreds of hours into it -- absolutely is. Cater to that wacky niche, empower them as far as you can, and everyone else reaps the rewards.

After Halo 3, Bungie admitted that they underestimated just how ambitious (and anal) some Forgers would be with the tools available. And I feel like Certain Affinity might be making the same mistake.

orznge

Banned
Are you "pondering aloud", or actually making an accusation?

I'm not accusing them of that explicitly but there are definitely way too many layers of bureaucracy involved in getting the kind of features that people in this community want into a game developed by a company that is publicly traded.

Booties

Banned
They created a new player model for infection. They give scrubs power weapons. They don't mention rank.

Though I like the sounds of oddball and dominion. Hopefully the playlists will have more CTF now too.

I'm not accusing them of that explicitly but there are definitely way too many layers of bureaucracy involved in getting the kind of features that people in this community want into a game developed by a company that is publicly traded.
Yeah, I can agree with that.

EGL new meaning, Ever Going Live?

http://www.twitch.tv/eglhalo
It's almost 11pm for the competitors, tad silly at this stage.

Moa

I've asked multiple times in this thread if that's going to be the day 1 playlists or not, but no one from 343 have confirmed or denied (unless I missed it)

Isn't Grifball based off Oddball this time though instead of Assault/bomb?

So why does it need to have its own gametype, why not branch it off in the settings for Oddball?

Where is Team Doubles? Snipers? SWAT?

Why does each game type get its own playlist? If I was going into a Pro or Big Team playlist I would want to play more than just slayer over and over.

Please dont let this be the final list.

Wait, so there isn't even a big team slayer/ctf mode? Just Dominion and Infinity Slayer.

mhi

Whats the map at 2:53 ?

Also looks like they have big hopes for Spartan Ops, hoping it pans out for them.

TheOddOne

ibtngLLIt0iVGJ.gif

MrDaravon

So why does it need to have its own gametype, why not branch it off in the settings for Oddball?

I don't know if you knew this, but Grifball is enormously popular.

Also those playlists are all a single gamemode; you don't click on oddball on that listing and get a new menu of variants, it's just straight oddball.

MrDaravon

Wait, so there isn't even a big team slayer/ctf mode? Just Dominion and Infinity Slayer.

This is why I keep pressing on playlists/player counts for day 1. On disc CTF is 5v5 and Dominion is 6v6. Since I usually only play BTB with a large group of friends, if day one the only thing we can go in rolling 8 deep in (without splitting teams) is Slayer only fuck that.

orznge

Banned
Even though I agree that framerate was the biggest issue of Reach Forge, you can flip the argument and it still as appropriate. What good is 60 frames per second if everything is the same?

yeah except Reach Forge's performance and aesthetics were both abysmal lol

I guess they realized every BTB game turned into Slayer anyway and cut out the middleman :lol

16 people with personal ordnance clusterfuck, hoooooo

When people get more accustomed to drop distance with personal ordnance it is going to start immensely fucking over enemy teams. Let's say you're playing with GAF and you make everyone wait to deploy their personal ordnance, enemy mantis spawns. Everybody bumrushes it on foot forming a circle around it and deploys overshields, damage boost or speed boost. The enemy mantis is crushed to death by a storm of ordnance pods.

So they cut Assault, and Grifball is in?

I don't understand what was wrong with Assault being in and having an option under Assault settings > Sides > Grifball, just like Reach?

I just don't see why Assualt wasn't kept on at least as an option is Custom Games.. Its a long standing mode, and is decently liked... Why take away that option.. it would have done no harm.

That is a fucking crazy good animation.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Here :p

i2Dqzws39wYfa.gif

Looking through the video now for more
Hah, this is totally scripted. The person in the enemy mantis is half heartedly shooting towards the blue guy -- who, in turn, isn't going for cover, isn't trying to flank, isn't going for the multiple ordnance drops, but is instead standing there, watching the bullets hit the ground. The friendly mantis is hanging back a little, trying not to ruin the moment, but then instead decides to awkwardly bumble into the exploding enemy mantis. Meanwhile, the banshee swoops past, completing the picturesque scene.

Looks frickin awesome, though.

nomis

I guess they realized every BTB game turned into Slayer anyway and cut out the middleman :lol

"With the personal ordnance system, YOU TOO can get your hands on a rocket launcher!"

Never mind that if the ranking system did its job satisfactorily, even those with the least game experience would have equal footing to access power weapons.

Booties

Banned
Hah, this is totally scripted. The person in the enemy mantis is half heartedly shooting towards the blue guy -- who, in turn, isn't going for cover, isn't trying to flank, isn't going for the multiple ordnance drops, but is instead standing there, watching the bullets hit the ground. The friendly mantis is hanging back a little, trying not to ruin the moment, while the banshee swoops past, completing the picturesque scene.

Combat* evolved.

Homeboyd

Man I'm glad I wasn't around when you fuckers were discussing the leaks/spoilers. Had a ton to catch up on (and wish I saw more of the MP footage) but I watched all the official stuff out there. Sad to hear about ranks even though nothing is finalized yet. Really hope Frankie and co. can put together something that works for both of us.

Hope you guys had fun at NYCC (it's over, right?)

Edit: Thanks Cyren

TCKaos

Hah, this is totally scripted. The person in the enemy mantis is half heartedly shooting towards the blue guy -- who, in turn, isn't going for cover, isn't trying to flank, isn't going for the multiple ordnance drops, but is instead standing there, watching the bullets hit the ground. The friendly mantis is hanging back a little, trying not to ruin the moment, while the banshee swoops past, completing the picturesque scene.

Or maybe it was a press event. There are people who have managed to die playing on easy at press events.

The Banshee makes me laugh, "Oh, I got this, shit. I have no idea what I'm doing." getting knocked into the rock lining and spinning upside down. Smooth.

I'm pretty happy with the playlists. I hope they try to keep things that pared-down throughout the game's lifecycle if possible. Probably DLC and title updates and people whining for dedicated SWAT, Snipers, etc. will fuck things up.

Only downer is that we finally get a dedicated CTF playlist for the first time in forfuckingever and the CTF rules are changed to be, on paper, far less appealing to me.

I can just imagine the framerate.

This is why I keep pressing on playlists/player counts for day 1. On disc CTF is 5v5 and Dominion is 6v6. Since I usually only play BTB with a large group of friends, if day one the only thing we can go in rolling 8 deep in (without splitting teams) is Slayer only fuck that.

Yep, I love Big Team Objective (excluding Invasion), but Slayer in BTB never really interested me. Oh well, I'm sure the playlists will change frequently.

Top Bottom