• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

It terms of posts they'd be about equal really. People would normally mention both at the same time actually.

But wouldn't the quality of the game mean a lot more than how it looks? What good are colours in Forge if framrates still cause forgers to be tactful and restrict their choices?

IHaveIce

Banned
can we turn of sprint in custom games?
Doubt it.

why are there no gifs from the vidoc in this thread?
Yes, Halogaf disappoints !

Where was that footage from at the beginning at around the 1.05-1.20 mark? Im guessing Spartan Ops? It looked graphically amazing - I thought it was a live action thing for a bit.

Yeah I think it was Spartan Ops or something else, I also thought of live action.

orznge

Banned
Well, of course framerate was going to be a problem with Forge in Reach. Forge World was ridiculously, unnecessarily large. I don't even want Forge "environments", honestly. Just give people empty fields with different backgrounds and aesthetics and the ability to change colors on Forge pieces.

Maybe next time lol

MrDaravon

I tend not to complain like this but their explanation to the CTF changes is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

And I'm on the Internet everyday!

Yup. Same with the killcam thing (for which they didn't really provide any detail). In theory I'm okay with not being able to drop the flag provided that it's not auto pickup (which it is), but what really, really kills it for me is you being visible to the entire enemy team. Even on just the livestreams you can see it completely changing behavior as everyone just knows where you are, and it removes any sort of strategy. In previous Halo games if you could sneak into their base with 2 or 3 of you, take the flag and one of their vehicles and get out completely undetected you felt like fucking Gods. That's completely gone now, and this utterly ruins my favorite game mode. I'll bet almost anything that's addressed in a patch within 2-3 months.

I know its been said before but...

Here's what we did for Infection players

Here's what we did for Grifball players

Competitive players? ...

Yuuup. Agree with the sentiment posted a couple times that all this ViDoc did was reinforce my existing opinions. Campaign looks great, Spartan Ops looks great assuming the netcode and quality is there. War Games looks all over the place, and their justification for some of it in that video is laughable.

Ken

Oh yeah, with the whole cinematics/story focus for MP, the one thing I always wanted ever since KZ3 came out was cinematic insertions into the map on objective gametypes. I've never played KZ3 myself but it looked pretty cool; think the beginning of Silent Cartographer.

I guess SpOPs kind of fulfills that but it's not PvP. :(

Ryaaan14

Banned
Can someone from Certain Affinity please explain why they couldn't implement colors into Forge mode? Give them a couple paragraphs in a weekly update in between caption contests and ship themed screenshots. I cannot wrap my head around it only being grey again. That was one of, if not the single biggest complaint with Forge maps in Reach.

Literally the biggest complaint with Cap'n Crunch is that it cuts the hell out of the roof of your mouth. This has been an ongoing issue since day 1, and it seems like no one gives a shit about listening to the people's concerns.

I seriously want to know the reason why they can't make a less sharp cereal.

But wouldn't the quality of the game mean a lot more than how it looks? What good are colours in Forge if framrates still cause forgers to be tactful and restrict their choices?
Of course, I completely agree. Hell, remember that lan where we sat down, looked at how Forge maps ran and said "no thanks"?
My point was more that the line you bolded and responded to was "That was one of, if not the single biggest complaint with Forge maps in Reach."

Oh yeah, with the whole cinematics/story focus for MP, the one thing I always wanted ever since KZ3 came out was cinematic insertions into the map on objective gametypes. I've never played KZ3 myself but it looked pretty cool; think the beginning of Silent Cartographer.

It's cool the first few times it happens. Not so cool after playing that map/gametype dozens, hundreds of time.

But Spartan Ops would be cool

Ken

It's cool the first few times it happens. Not so cool after playing that map/gametype dozens, hundreds of time.

But Spartan Ops would be cool

Does it only happen on specific maps in KZ3? It's a silly thing but I just like cinematic stuff/neat animations.

To be honest, those are smaller things in the long run; the core gameplay looks fantastic. The maps look well made, the game modes look thought out. I do however agree that they dropped the ball by excluding Assault and not having at the very least a few more returning vehicles. Halo 4 seems like it is really lacking in that department.

100% agreed. Or they thought they knew better and assumed the fans were wrong about what they wanted.

Halo 4 Forge seems like Reach Forge with some better tools. The majority of the improvements just make doing the same old thing easier, and there seems to be very little that will bring new options to the table. Mix that with the same pallet mistakes and so large amount of terrain to build on and its just a huge letdown. Then again, it was an outsourced mode and I suppose we should have seen it coming.

Actually one of the BIGGEST mistakes was the lack of a cohesive aesthetic across all of the pieces. Blocks were different from coli walls, which were different from XXL Platforms, which were different from bridges, which were different from banks, which were different from the coli window, etc. This made it difficult to make a cohesive map that felt like a "whole" instead of a bunch of building blocks. And this seems to have been fixed for the most part with pieces actually having the same texture, the same shapes, the same colors, and overall just the same style. This will make maps much more varied because all pieces are up for grabs as options for a cohesive map. Forge maps will still share a similar aesthetic all around, but I'm totally fine with that.

Still loving that Erosion's palette is so different than the Ravine and Impact. :)

Of course, I completely agree. Hell, remember that lan where we sat down, looked at how Forge maps ran and said "no thanks"?
My point was more that the line you bolded and responded to was "That was one of, if not the single biggest complaint with Forge maps in Reach."

I had almost forgotten that *shudders*. No more than 2 to a box during the Halo 4 lan, that's for sure.

I know its been said before but...

Here's what we did for Infection players

Here's what we did for Grifball players

Competitive players? ...
"Here's what we did for competitive players: we changed CTF so you automatically pick up the flag and you get a magnum with it. Oh and no dropping the flag."

tumblr_m53m5zGZI51rpf698.jpg

IHaveIce

Banned
Hey.. pobably a stupid question, but what happens if you have the flag and go on the back of a mongoose.

Does the magnum disappear? Or does the spartan do a "lookie-no-hands"

Does it only happen on specific maps in KZ3? It's a silly thing but I just like cinematic stuff/neat animations.

It was specifically for the Operations gametype. It's kinda like Fatalities in competitive Mortal Kombat, fun the first few times, but after playing so many matches and seen all the cinematics/animations a million times, you just want to get to the next match instead watching the same cutscene for the uptenth time.

Don't ask me why I played Killzone 3. It's been a dark time for my console shooter playtime ever since Reach.

I think the problem with Forge is just what they said in the video: their priority was making it 'accessible'. With something like Forge, your priority should be making it powerful. A very tiny minority of the playerbase uses Forge for anything more than a between-games gimmick (let's see how many explosive barrels I can pile up; let's drop scorpion tanks on each other). The focus should be empowering the Forge nuts out there to generate the richest, deepest content they can so that the majority benefit from their labours, however complicated that might end up being, not trying to make it 'quicker' for the majority to throw down some blocks.

Whatever, it's never really been my flavour of Halo. Hopefully the people that live for it can do what they want with it and aren't too disappointed.

TheOddOne

It was specifically for the Operations gametype. It's kinda like Fatalities in competitive Mortal Kombat, fun the first few times, but after playing so many matches and seen all the cinematics/animations a million times, you just want to get to the next match instead watching the same cutscene for the uptenth time.

Don't ask me why I played Killzone 3. It's been a dark time for my console shooter playtime ever since Reach.
Campaign was such a letdown. Great levels, mediocre story.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hey.. pobably a stupid question, but what happens if you have the flag and go on the back of a mongoose.

Does the magnum disappear? Or does the spartan do a "lookie-no-hands"
I've been wondering that for a while, too!

Also: If I never had to see a troll face embedded into a post again, I'd be happy.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
As far as what competitive players get when Grifball and Infection gets stuff, I would say that we get the customizable loadout system. We never have to use an AR, SMG or anything like that ever again. You just don't know how big of a deal that is. We get the best rifles from each game plus a new one with the light rifle. All the other guns are either pistols (3 total) AR types (3 total) or power weapons. We use the gun we want for general use and then almost every other gun we pick up is a power weapon. It's one of those things that makes you think why did it take so long to get this.

Literally the biggest complaint with Cap'n Crunch is that it cuts the hell out of the roof of your mouth. This has been an ongoing issue since day 1, and it seems like no one gives a shit about listening to the people's concerns.

I seriously want to know the reason why they can't make a less sharp cereal.
Bro, the cuts are so you can get the sugar straight into your bloodstream. No other cereal gives you that kinda buzz.

Shadders

I think the problem with Forge is just what they said in the video: their priority was making it 'accessible'. With something like Forge, your priority should be making it powerful. A very tiny minority of the playerbase uses Forge for anything more than a between-games gimmick (let's see how many explosive barrels I can pile up; let's drop scorpion tanks on each other). The focus should be empowering the Forge nuts out there to generate the richest, deepest content they can so that the majority benefit from their labours, however complicated that might end up being, not trying to make it 'quicker' for the majority to throw down some blocks.

Whatever, it's never really been my flavour of Halo. Hopefully the people that live for it can do what they want with it and aren't too disappointed.

I think you're delving too much into the terminology they've used. Things like Magnets, quickly duplicating items, removing by type etc. are all features that will be massively useful to serious Forgers. I think the dynamic lighting and multiple environments will really help to make the maps look different too.

TheOddOne

So, I said this over twitter, but both Halo 4 disks are both 8.1 GB. Now thinking back, we will also need 8 GB's. So technically this game is three disks. What.

Flipyap

Cool BTS but...

...why is the Monitor able to produce UNSC-made Forge pieces out of thin air; I need lore reasons.
For the same reason that lets blue Spartans fight red Spartanas.
The real question is why the VR map maker chose to fly around the danger room dressed up as a Forerunner Roomba. You'd think that dude's fetish would have raised some eyebrows once they went TO WAR with Forerunner robots.

Well, of course framerate was going to be a problem with Forge in Reach. Forge World was ridiculously, unnecessarily large. I don't even want Forge "environments", honestly. Just give people empty fields with different backgrounds and aesthetics and the ability to change colors on Forge pieces.

Yeah, I was kinda hoping for something like Sandbox, only larger with the option for different skybox, forge piece and environment pallets. (Eg. Snow with frosty forge pieces, sand with gritty worn out rusted pieces, etc.). Give us the option to change the base model color, even in simple ways such as grey, white, black, blue, red.. Keep it simple but visually appeasing and digestible.

Here :p

i2Dqzws39wYfa.gif

Looking through the video now for more

This is Halo. =D

still looks like a drought on Valhalla though

orznge

Banned
Just a reminder that the closer Forge gets to being able to produce good maps the closer it gets to infringing on DLC revenue.

Karl2177

"Avoid NeoGAF"-IGN
"Fuck you"-Karl

Either option will work.
If you can join your friends, what is keeping me from joining my scrub king roommate's game and fucking with the skill level?

Even though I agree that framerate was the biggest issue of Reach Forge, you can flip the argument and it still as appropriate. What good is 60 frames per second if everything is the same?

Booties

Banned
I think all these medals filling up your ordinance meter is awful. Just have them level you up faster, not power you up during any game for playing like a scrub.

S1kkZ

So, I said this over twitter, but both Halo 4 disks are both 8.1 GB. Now thinking back, we will also need 8 GB's. So technically this game is three disks. What.

you need to install the 8gb from disc 2 for multiplayer. so you will only have 2 discs installed.

Where is Team Doubles? Snipers? SWAT?

Why does each game type get its own playlist? If I was going into a Pro or Big Team playlist I would want to play more than just slayer over and over.

Please dont let this be the final list.

Moa

So they cut Assault, and Grifball is in?

I don't understand what was wrong with Assault being in and having an option under Assault settings > Sides > Grifball, just like Reach?

TCKaos

Wow, fuck this entire planet. One of my Steam friends changed his name to a massive spoiler.

What the fuck is wrong with people?

Top Bottom