• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

jtzzm1bImvXb4.png

hahaha oh my god

I know its been said before but...

Here's what we did for Infection players

Here's what we did for Grifball players

Competitive players? ...

Slayer Pro...which will probably be removed when less than 10% of the population plays it.

Should tune the weapons so BR and DMR are both four shot

edit: EGL Halo 4 on soon

kylej

Banned
The ground textures on the new Valhalla...

monocleyq7(1).gif

Spartan Ops looks interesting. That mode lives and dies by the quality of the netcode.

Competitive players? ...

Slayer Pro + Algorithm on Waypoint to calculate your 1-50 rank!

I'm not a top tier player, hell Im not medium tier, but I agree. That said, I think the core gameplay truly will cater towards competitive players, and the maps in Halo 4 do look stronger than Reach. Throw an arena based map in each Forge environment and its a start. I do hope they have something to cater towards ranks and the competitive crowds, but if its happening I think it will be after a TU.

Competitive players? ...

Haven't you heard? Grifball is "competitive".

Get with the times.

Also, who doesn't like being forced into a less dynamic version of CTF that's worked well for 10+ years?

PS - I'm still fairly hyped, but CTF changes will literally never make any sense to rational people IMO.

Grifball/Infection is the new competitive, and will get the first ranked system next year.

MLG Dallas is playing the wrong gametypes, CyRen use your MLG powers to correct this and save the community

Blueblur1

Trailer was nice. Here's to hoping matchmaking isn't total garbage and that the game feels like a complete product in spite of missing vehicles, modes, customization options, and weapons.

CyReN

Grifball/Infection is the new competitive, and will get the first ranked system next year.

MLG Dallas is playing the wrong gametypes, CyRen use your MLG powers to correct this and save the community

What.

I do know what you mean though, we are technically the "competitive crowd" and the word is being thrown around as a general thing now for anything MP. MLG/Competitive Halo will never use the term "e-sports" since it isn't a sport and sounds bad.

kylej

Banned
Can someone from Certain Affinity please explain why they couldn't implement colors into Forge mode? Give them a couple paragraphs in a weekly update in between caption contests and ship themed screenshots. I cannot wrap my head around it only being grey again. That was one of, if not the single biggest complaint with Forge maps in Reach.

Moa

Can someone from Certain Affinity please explain why they couldn't implement colors into Forge mode? Give them a couple paragraphs in a weekly update in between caption contests and ship themed screenshots. I cannot wrap my head around it only being grey again. That was one of, if not the single biggest complaint with Forge maps in Reach.

Did Bungie ever give a reason why all the objects were grey?

u4iX

What.

I do know what you mean though, we are technically the "competitive" crowd and the word is being thrown around as a general thing now for anything MP. MLG/Competitive Halo will never use the term "e-sports" since it isn't a sport and sounds bad.

I disagree. Halo can be an eSport, but we need the tools to facilitate it.

CyReN

I disagree. Halo can be an eSport, but we need the tools to facilitate it.

We are a community for sure, e-sports is just a term used by people that never participated in sports or grasp what it is.

Now this is just my opinion though with the terminology.

Overdoziz

Banned
I really have the feeling they don't get Forge.

heckfu

Banned
Jesus, just watched the vidoc. I don't think I can put into words how much I appreciate the 343 crew and the game they are about to release.

Noricart

Are you blind? The colors are obviously white, off white, and rusted white.

And the ravine map looked better than I expected. And honestly, Impact sorta looks crappy with forge pieces.
Still want more colors.

Tawpgun

If a leaker would be a doll and show the color trimming/light options and how they look in forge that would be great.

Then we ban them

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Trailer was nice. Here's to hoping matchmaking isn't total garbage and that the game feels like a complete product in spite of missing vehicles, modes, customization options, and weapons.
So salty.

I am too. :-(

I can't believe I need to mention this to you of all people but framerate man. Framerate was easily the biggest problem with Forge.

Be as cynical as you want about it, shadows to me make all the difference in the world for Forge. :p

Master Chief's shoulders still look like candy scoopers with the handles taken off.

Project

Video looked awesome, really excited to play this game online with all the great new features it has.

Coming from an MLG background and attending a couple events, I have to say this Halo 4's barebones look very fun. And by barebones I mean just hop into a playlist hopper and play. We couldn't do this in reach because of bloom. The core gameplay looks awesome and while I would love to have tons of small arena competitive maps for the MLG community, it will be a pleasure to play on some bigger maps and rip with balanced gameplay mechanics.

To be honest, those are smaller things in the long run; the core gameplay looks fantastic. The maps look well made, the game modes look thought out. I do however agree that they dropped the ball by excluding Assault and not having at the very least a few more returning vehicles. Halo 4 seems like it is really lacking in that department.

I really have the feeling they don't get Forge.

100% agreed. Or they thought they knew better and assumed the fans were wrong about what they wanted.

Halo 4 Forge seems like Reach Forge with some better tools. The majority of the improvements just make doing the same old thing easier, and there seems to be very little that will bring new options to the table. Mix that with the same pallet mistakes and so large amount of terrain to build on and its just a huge letdown. Then again, it was an outsourced mode and I suppose we should have seen it coming.

L1NETT

Can someone from Certain Affinity please explain why they couldn't implement colors into Forge mode?

I would hope the answer is isn't they couldn't. The answer would probably be they didn't feel they needed it.

They might say the new pallets are ample good enough for new environments be created.

But yeah, I agree with you 100% on this one. But it is a question which I fear will never be answered.

Where was that footage from at the beginning at around the 1.05-1.20 mark? Im guessing Spartan Ops? It looked graphically amazing - I thought it was a live action thing for a bit.

You know... that is what I needed, with the latest impressions of leaked forge I was a bit down. But seeing the forge section of the BTS rekindled my excitement almost immediately. I can't wait for Erosion... dat atmosphere, that rusted, dirty style, and dem pipes. :) It even said 1x2... so a whole gambit of pipes. :) Totally pumped. Bring on the forge... excited for the new highly detailed pieces to make forge maps feel more like "real" maps... as long as performance is improved then I'm all good.

Ken

Cool BTS but...

...why is the Monitor able to produce UNSC-made Forge pieces out of thin air; I need lore reasons.

kylej

Banned
Well, of course framerate was going to be a problem with Forge in Reach. Forge World was ridiculously, unnecessarily large. I don't even want Forge "environments", honestly. Just give people empty fields with different backgrounds and aesthetics and the ability to change colors on Forge pieces.

FyreWulff

Did Bungie ever give a reason why all the objects were grey?

Design wise:

Forerunner is grey.

Forerunner has a simplistic design language

Simplistic low color objects LOD very well

When you want people to make a bunch of objects, you want to keep them simplistic and LODing very well.

It should be noted that every single (or just about) big wide open map in Halo has been a Forerunner map. (Hang Em High. Blood Gulch. Sidewinder. Waterworks. Coag. Burial Mounds. Relic. Containment. Sandtrap. Avalanche. Valhalla. Sandbox.) Or as I like to call it, Perfrunner.

Top Bottom