• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Tunavi

Banned
Another use for them that I've seen is utilizing the fact that they pop instantly. They could be a great aggressive shield popper to give you a 2-3 shot lead in a single encounter. Could be very useful indeed if you have the jump on your opponent since it also has an instant AOE as well so there is little chance that you will miss.
did you really just quote 5 people in a post and then double post?

I used to drink a lot of Mt. Dew, and I had my first the other day in over I'd say 6 months, and the taste was fuck awful. :/ Maybe I should try a code red, but the regular Dew was ass.

I'm sad we didn't get Gamer Fuel as part of this H4 promotion. From what my taste buds recall, Gamer Fuel is incredible tasting.

I made myself stop drinking soda after figuring out how truly bad it is for you. Seriously, smoke cigarettes before you drink soda with every meal. My teacher used to drink about 20 diet cokes a day....yea, its fine because its diet.

I cant stop having dreams about halo 4. I keep waking up thinking its out already, and im so letdown everytime. So i guess im like team downer in one sense or another.

blamite

I usually grab either a Peps or a Mountian Dew when I get lunch on campus, so I'll have no problem getting plenty of XP by switching exclusively to Mountain Dew.

It's a terrible plan and I kind of feel bad for doing it but whatever, plus I'll end up giving away a bunch of codes.

nillapuddin

Yep I volunteered, I'm rough drafting out a layout and what kind of information to fill in for it. Anybody want to through in types of information they would like to see in the Forge OT?

Thats a good question, a comprehensive overview of all the pieces would be great

I would really like to make a chart of all the pieces dimensions

2x2 Tall = 2 x 2 x 3
Wall Coliseum = 10 x 12 x ~.5

Something like that, idk if there is like "a guy" who already does that, and someone might beat me to it, but that would be fun

DewXP math edit incase missed
Me said:
Product = Cost = # of DewXP games --> Cost per match

Mountain Dew
24 Pack = $6.98 = 12 matches --> 0.58 match

12 Pack = $3.98 = 6 matches --> 0.33 match

Doritos
11.5 oz = $2.68 = 12 matches --> 0.22 match

COMBOS

24+Doritos = 9.66 = 26 matches --> 0.37 match

12+Doritos = 6.66(!) = 20 matches --> 0.33 match

The best deal is still buying the chips outright

Raide

Thats a good question, a comprehensive overview of all the pieces would be great

2x2 Tall = 2 x 2 x 3

Something like that, idk if there is like "a guy" who already does that, and someone might beat me to it, but that would be fun

DewXP math edit incase missed

Only a matter of time really. Much of the sizing stuff comes when you play with Forge. Maybe we can get some kind of Spreadsheet sorted so we can link to for the dimensions etc.

nillapuddin

Maybe we can get some kind of Spreadsheet sorted so we can link to for the dimensions etc.

I know, thats what I mean
?

most of them are obviously reskinned pieces from Reach
(with fixed geometry, fingers crossed!)

but it could help non forgers

example
how big do you think a 2x2 tall is?

if you werent a forger, would you guess its 3 units tall?

Raide

I know, thats what I mean
?

most of them are obviously reskinned pieces from Reach
(with fixed geometry, fingers crossed!)

but it could help non forgers

example
how big do you think a 2x2 tall is?

if you werent a forger, would you guess its 3 units tall?

I would think that maybe 1 unit = 1 player character tall?

Yup, if we can get a shots of each piece, then that would help. I remember for Reach a SketchUp set appeared for all the Forge pieces. That came in handy before release.

Went on a gamefuel hunt. No luck. I ended up seeing a bottle of mountain dew and code red at the gas station with Halo printed on it so I grabbed one of each. I forgot how disgusting code red is. Halo 5 needs to have Coke XP.

Hey HaloGaf, there's these guys on Reddit doing a charity event "Race to Skill level 50 Marathon"..... and they are claiming that there is a skill-based ranking system.

Here's the link: http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/11mq0f/halo_4_race_to_skill_level_50_marathon_for/

Halo_SemiPro_Charity said:
Hey Halo fans, we've got a treat for you. You WILL enjoy this! and all proceeds will be donated to: St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
We have raised $500 dollars, through various channels, and now would like Reddit to get involved. Thanks for your time, and please, Mods, let us know how you would like us to verify our charitable donation. :)
Gametype: TBA [Ideally Double Team, but perhaps Slayer if that is the only playlist available]
Goal: Be the first to reach the maximum SKILL rank in Halo 4. TWO Self-proclaimed "Semi-Pros" (self-proclaimed, as our life circumstances, graduate school/professional musician, were more important than a gaming career, although we spend more time gaming than is healthy :D) will be setting up a live feed marathon race to level 50.
Info on the participants: We would like to remain anonymous, however; there will be a livefeed set up on ustream.tv showing both screens - for your viewing pleasure.
Halo 2 Highlights:
We played Halo 2 with various pros, including Final Boss. We beat Ogre 1 / Ogre 2 in doubles more than they have beaten us [not in tournament play, in casual play]
Double Team Halo 3 Highlights:
In Halo 3, we were level 50 in doubles within 24 hours! and have associations with Str8 Rippon.
Additional Info:
We will begin the livefeed as close to midnight as possible and play until we can no longer function/fall asleep at the controller.. there will be audio.. and you'll DEFINITELY enjoy it - Guaranteed :p
Halo_SemiPro_Charity said:
Cannot release source, but it will be there. Perhaps tweaked, but there will be a skill based ranking system.

Scale of 1-10... how many bologna sandwiches do these guys eat every day?

EDIT: Though I applaud their cause.

zlatko

Banned
halo_frigate_by_jade_law-d4rbo5x.jpg

I keep finding awesome Reach art I feel compelled to share with you all. :p

Conor 419

Banned
Question spoiler regarding music

I heard that the Halo theme stars in this game, have we found the track it's in? Can anyone link it this way?

Agreed. I've found Pentagons and Hexagons to be fun to play with. I typically take one and duplicate/overlap/rotate in order to get some inspiration and start picking and choosing walls/paths based on the result. Loads of fun. :)
Yeah, I approach it in a very similar fashion. Pick a shape, pick a gametype or two, and get busy.

I turned off the top left section so that the bottom layer was visible; I've blocked it out as far as I want to before I actually get my hands on H4 and can solve the rest of the problems with H4's gameplay in mind. This is a Slayer/CTF Pro oriented map.
Right, I've got about half a dozen blocked out designs that I never went forward with in Reach for a variety of reasons. Looking forward to getting back in the Forge groove again.

Enfinit

Yep I volunteered, I'm rough drafting out a layout and what kind of information to fill in for it. Anybody want to through in types of information they would like to see in the Forge OT?
A comprehensive list of all forge pieces with accompanying photos would be wonderful. Adding the dimensions of each piece would be even better!

This is HALOgaf dude
I always wondered, are we HaloGAFers? I've seen a number of people use "HaloGAFfer" and that extra "f" bugs me for no reason.

did you really just quote 5 people in a post and then double post?

Sadly yes... my posting finger was antsy and decided to subconsciously hit Submit Reply prior to waiting for a response. It isn't like it happens often. :p

Great to hear. I will look forward to seeing the OT.

Here is the old one just in case. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407389

Last time we tried to get the ForgeGAF people together to try and test out maps on a regular basis. It was great to do that and be able to get feedback and tweak the maps. Hopefully we can get it rolling for Halo4 as well.

The ForgeGAF Community was awesome and we had a great group of Forgers making some awesome maps.

As a slight tangent to this, any word on Halo Pro again for extra storage etc?

Definitely. Having regular playtesting is something I've been doing for years and I'm down for joining up if you guys plan on continuing them. Doesn't Dani run ForgeGAF customs typically? That is definitely something I can add to the OT if we have a regular scheduled time.

2x2 Tall = 2 x 2 x 3

If you want to make a chart I'm totally down for adding it to the planned resource section. I plan on adding in things like level design resources like Carney's Crash Course in a list for people who want to take a look at them.

Right now I'm looking at:

• Controls
  • Ongoing and Single Occurrence Events
  • Resources
  • Communities
  • Perhaps a short blurb on the Community Cartographers (once we get more info on how things are going to be run in Halo 4)
  • The Gamespot Videos as a sort of "introduction"
  • A way to find all HaloGAF maps (like through a tagging system... depends on what's implemented)

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
A comprehensive list of all forge pieces with accompanying photos would be wonderful. Adding the dimensions of each piece would be even better!

Seems to already be a very popular idea. I'd be down for it, but I doubt we would have enough room in a single post to cover it all. Perhaps placing it somewhere and keeping it in the resource section would be the best solution. Especially considering how many pieces there are.

Dont forget, the required gametype objects guide is a must

Definitely another resource. So perhaps split resources into Technical Resources and Design Resources? Technical covering how-tos on forging like performance, budget, piece compilation, gametype creation guides, forging map walkthroughs, forging tricks, etc. And the Design Resources being stuff like Carney's Crash Course, Quake Competitive Level Design, The Forge Lessons, etc.

Petrichor

Question spoiler regarding music

I heard that the Halo theme stars in this game, have we found the track it's in? Can anyone link it this way?

I'm pretty sure it's in a rework of 117, haven't found the actual track yet though. It'll probably be in the 7 minute "soundtrack edit"

edit:
you can kind of hear it 2 minutes into this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCMhGdX_EuY but there's a moment in-game where it's much more pronounced (you won't be able to miss it)

MrBig

[*]A way to find all HaloGAF maps (like through a tagging system... depends on what's implemented)
[/LIST]

Might want to look into a google form solution for that. I created one for my Planetside 2 Beta op. There's lots of options for adding written and standardised information, and it can all be formatted and sorted easily in the spreadsheet output. I believe you can also allow user editing if people submit their thing via a google account.

Raide

Right now I'm looking at:

• Controls
  • Ongoing and Single Occurrence Events
  • Resources
  • Communities
  • Perhaps a short blurb on the Community Cartographers (once we get more info on how things are going to be run in Halo 4)
  • The Gamespot Videos as a sort of "introduction"
  • A way to find all HaloGAF maps (like through a tagging system... depends on what's implemented)

Sounds good. Would be nice if 343 can give us the info on the Forge stuff on their side. Any chances of porting over Reach maps? How many slots do we get? Any Halo Pro? Can I have more than 14 Man-cannons so I can finally finish Q3DM17?

IHaveIce

Banned

Nice.

Also to my fellow German Gaffers: I don't know if you know it already but there will be Launch Events in Hamburg, Berlin and Frankfurt, but you have to be invited to them. :(

Oh snap, I completely forgot about a bulletin tonight.

I wonder what's going to be in it.
damn you are right, I also forgot it.

I wonder if Jess will write something about the leaks

Top Bottom