• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Actually, there's a question that's been rolling around in my head:
What was the beverage of choice? For HaloGAF and 343.

I like Hennessey. Either straight or mixed with Coke. For beer this whole weekend I went Amstel Light or some Brooklyn Brown beer I had for the first time. It was very good. I really only drink on special occasions these days so I'm not really picky.

In before beer and alcohol snobs

MrBig

Thanks for this. I'm very interested in the lights since we're still stuck with the accent team coloring on the pieces themselves. It would be great to properly use them for a change without having to sacrifice other design elements.

I really hope that the framerate of forge maps overall have an amazing improvement, especially since we're still working with the building block mentality of Halo 3. All I want to be able to build a relatively modest, aesthetically pleasing map that doesn't have to sacrifice anything to play well.

They've really unified the pallet, so you have to do less finagling to get something to look right and can use simpler pieces to achieve cooler things since everything visually works together now. Unloading assets not in your FoV also seems to be more aggressive now, which can be taken advantage of when you're building your sightlines with performance in mind, but also leads to more noticeable pop-in. Being able to use shadows for player orientation will be pretty nice, but unfortunately the sun on Impact is fairly direct so you can't play with that too much.

I've been working on blocking out a map. Somewhat inspired by the pit, based around the smaller asteroid on Impact.

I like Hennessey. Either straight or mixed with Coke. For beer this whole weekend I went Amstel Light or some Brooklyn Brown beer I had for the first time. It was very good. I really only drink on special occasions these days so I'm not really picky.

In before? I've already started judging ye. :p

I shall endeavour to check out Blue Moon, a good beer by Coors would be a revelation :p.
Doubt I'll find it here, but maybe in Dublin next weekend..

man Henny is so good. Unfotunately is does nothing for me in terms of getting tipsy. You live in NYC ever been to Latitude?

zlatko

Banned
Has anyone redeemed a code for Dew AND Doritos at the same time

If so, does it DOUBLE the amount?

dr pepper, thanks for asking

http://www.dewxp.com/Details/FAQ#bonusAnchor

Confirmation that combos double it.

Edit: Towards the bottom it says:

The Dew/Doritos Combo Bonus
Available: October 15, 2012 – January 31, 2012
DewXP Accounts will be awarded a special bonus of (2) Double XP Matches if they input any combination of both Mtn Dew and Doritos codes during a single online code redemption submission.

The Dollar General Bonus
Available: November 17, 2012 – December 22, 2012
DewXP Accounts will be awarded a special bonus equal to (2) Double XP Matches if they input a code printed on the receipt from a single Dollar General transaction that has both a Mtn Dew 20-ounce package and a Doritos single serve package on it.

The Speedway Double XP Promotion
Available: November 1, 2012 – November 30, 2012
DewXP Accounts will be awarded a special bonus equal to (2) Double XP Matches if user inputs a code printed on a receipt from Speedway that has 3 of any combination of Mtn Dew 20-ounce packages and Doritos single serve packages from participating Speedway stores during a single in-store transaction.

The 7-Eleven App Bonus
Available: October 30, 2012 – December 31, 2012
DewXP Accounts will be awarded a special bonus equal to (2) Double XP Matches after engaging with the 7-Eleven app and reloading to full supplies after running through initial supplies. In order to reload to supplies to full, the consumer must be in a 7-Eleven and scan both a Mtn Dew and Doritos product. The consumer will then receive a code to bank at DewXP.com. After banking, the consumer will receive their bonus XP Matches.

Tashi

I shall endeavour to check out Blue Moon, a good beer by Coors would be a revelation :p.

Oh you

man Henny is so good. Unfotunately is does nothing for me in terms of getting tipsy. You live in NYC ever been to Latitude?

Nah I don't live in NYC. I live an hour upstate from NYC. And honestly I don't know where I've been out. I'm usually too smashed to notice the name of the place hahaha. Sounds familiar though.

Gui_PT

Of all the things to complain about... Someone complained about no radar?

milla4neogaf9kz41.gif

Booties

Banned
I just put in a bunch of codes. Got the "power of one" since one was a mtn dew bottle and the rest were chips. It gave me +2 games

I already have 29 games. This is great.

Tashi

Of all the things to complain about... Someone complained about no radar?

milla4neogaf9kz41.gif

One of my biggest pet peeves these days.

It's NeoGAF not Neogaf or NeoGaf. There's a balance to the word and how it looks. I'm looking at you Cyren! lol

http://www.dewxp.com/Details/FAQ#bonusAnchor

Confirmation that combos double it.

Edit: Towards the bottom it says:

The Dew/Doritos Combo Bonus
Available: October 15, 2012 – January 31, 2012
DewXP Accounts will be awarded a special bonus of (2) Double XP Matches if they input any combination of both Mtn Dew and Doritos codes during a single online code redemption submission.

The Dollar General Bonus
Available: November 17, 2012 – December 22, 2012
DewXP Accounts will be awarded a special bonus equal to (2) Double XP Matches if they input a code printed on the receipt from a single Dollar General transaction that has both a Mtn Dew 20-ounce package and a Doritos single serve package on it.

The Speedway Double XP Promotion
Available: November 1, 2012 – November 30, 2012
DewXP Accounts will be awarded a special bonus equal to (2) Double XP Matches if user inputs a code printed on a receipt from Speedway that has 3 of any combination of Mtn Dew 20-ounce packages and Doritos single serve packages from participating Speedway stores during a single in-store transaction.

The 7-Eleven App Bonus
Available: October 30, 2012 – December 31, 2012
DewXP Accounts will be awarded a special bonus equal to (2) Double XP Matches after engaging with the 7-Eleven app and reloading to full supplies after running through initial supplies. In order to reload to supplies to full, the consumer must be in a 7-Eleven and scan both a Mtn Dew and Doritos product. The consumer will then receive a code to bank at DewXP.com. After banking, the consumer will receive their bonus XP Matches.

It's not Double your matches. It's an extra 2 matches. Here's what it looks like.

GsLthl.png

One of my biggest pet peeves these days.

It's NeoGAF not Neogaf or NeoGaf. There's a balance to the word and how it looks. I'm looking at you Cyren! lol

complaining about the case size of certain letters in a word

ipJiUHrbBTCMw.gif

notice this one is spelled correctly

edit: GUI PLS

Dammit, I was multiplying, not adding. Quickest way to an even 200:

Buy a 24-pack Mountain Dew and a large bag of Doritos. This gives you 26 matches.

Do this 7 times for 182.
Then buy either a 24-pack or a large bag for 12 more EXP, and something for 6 EXP. You don't need the +2 match bonus for these last two items.

This gives you an even 200 matches.

Nah I don't live in NYC. I live an hour upstate from NYC. And honestly I don't know where I've been out. I'm usually too smashed to notice the name of the place hahaha. Sounds familiar though.

Oh ok cool the 1 time i went to that place the drinks were amazingly strong and inexpensive for top shelf liquor.

Gazzawa

Had a blue moon in Chicago last year.
It was ok. Beer with an orange on it.
Then I got kicked out of that bar for heckling the musician who was playing- he wouldn't play any Ye or Chris brown.

Sanjuro

I've decided to go 100% single EXP for this game.

My Dexp codes will be posted. No set times. Just keep an eye out.

I've never done any double-exp type things though. Trying to generate myself some hype for the game.

I probably took several years off my life with Halo 3 and that orange Mountain Dew nectar. I worked at a game store at the time and just kept getting it for free.

I might nibble on hot wing Doritos if they're good and make some sweet concoctions with the Game Fuel but otherwise I'm just making the family eat all of it. :lol

EDIT: Actually, I might make some ridiculous caffeine/sugary hybrid drink so I can stay up late on Halo 4 launch night/the day after, will post results here. Just an idea:

Orange Game Fuel + orange juice + rum. Slightly dilute water with lemon and lime juice make ice cubes (but don't mix the two). Bam, Incineration Cannon!

Part 3. I'll post the fourth and final part tomorrow midday.

----------------

Fall Damage and Vehicles

I don’t like fall damage. Everyone knows that. I’ve said this before, but I think fall damage does more to add verticality to the combat – in a way that doesn’t break maps, most importantly – than jetpack does.

There is fall damage in Halo 4. When I played on Ragnarok, I got a Banshee, flew it into the air, and jumped out. David said at one point that there are no jumps you can take in any map that would lead you to experience it, and from what I played, he does appear to be right. (There seems to be a couple of jumps on Complex that look like they might come close). I guess I shouldn’t be bothered by fall damage being in the game if there aren’t any jumps where I’ll experience it. I still rather not see it in there for crazy maneuvers like bailing out of a Banshee in midair and seeing 343 go crazy with some level designs like Avalanche’s bases.

From what I could tell, player health and vehicle are not tied together. I was in the Ghost on...Ragnarok I think, and it was very much damaged. I got hit a couple of times, bringing my shields down by a fourth, and then I exploded. I don’t like this. There’s no clear information telling me I’m about to die other than some vague physical damage. I’d probably be fine with decoupled vehicle and player health if there was some sort of indicator telling me how much health I had in my vehicle, but there isn’t, and I would much prefer linked health over that because it’s more streamlined. I’m worried the decoupling will have a Reach-like influence on the vehicle battles. And when it comes to vehicle battles, I’m more worried about campaign in this regard than multiplayer.

Vehicles handle well for what I was able to drive (Ghost, Warthog, and Mongoose). Probably a really stupid criticism, but I think the silver pipes on the Warthog look incredibly silly. Maybe if they were black?

Grenades

When it was first announced that we could no longer pick up grenades from dead bodies (or dead bodies wouldn’t drop grenades), and that grenade spawns would be limited to ordnance drops and the like, I was skeptical. After playing the game like this, I’m fully behind the decision. I remember remarking to myself in my head during one game that I was now using my grenades more tactically, and that is great.

As for the grenades themselves, I like ‘em. More like Halo 3’s grenades in that they’re more a tool to get a player’s shields down. No more Reach nuke grenades.

I was less than satisfied with the pulse grenades. Didn’t fine much situations in which they were useful. That could be a result of my limited play time, however.

Shield Feedback

Didn’t notice anything wrong here. I was able to tell when I was about to pop a player’s shields, but I think the system isn’t as pronounced as Reach’s.

Armor Abilities

My time with AAs was very short. The most use I got out of them was when I picked Auto Sentry as my AA for my first game at the convention center. Even with my willingness to try out a new AA, the only time I used it was when I hit the wrong button. For my next couple of games (one more at NYCC then a couple Saturday night), I switched to Regenerator to see if I could get some use out of that, but I barely used it.

Then while setting up for one game, I was scrolling through the armor abilities to see if there is any I would be inclined to use then I saw the option “none.” I selected that and from then on it was smooth sailing. I was having a discussion with Tashi about this, and he said I would have to use AAs for maps like Abandoned where the jetpack offers a huge advantage because of the level design. I never, however, felt the need to use jetpack on Swordbase, so I don’t foresee me using AAs because of map design in Halo 4.

The great thing about AAs in Halo 4? You don’t need one. For 85% of the games I played over the weekend I was running around without an AA and at no point did I feel like I was at a disadvantage or on shakier ground. It was positively lovely.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I had originally planned to buy a big enough diabetes starter kit to net me 200 matches of double XP (mainly because I thought it'd cost under $20), but I don't think it's worth it any more lol

They've really unified the pallet, so you have to do less finagling to get something to look right and can use simpler pieces to achieve cooler things since everything visually works together now. Unloading assets not in your FoV also seems to be more aggressive now, which can be taken advantage of when you're building your sightlines with performance in mind, but also leads to more noticeable pop-in. Being able to use shadows for player orientation will be pretty nice, but unfortunately the sun on Impact is fairly direct so you can't play with that too much.

I've been working on blocking out a map. Somewhat inspired by the pit, based around the smaller asteroid on Impact.
Map looks interesting. I'm guessing that since it's inspired on The Pit that it's not complete, but I've always liked taking basic geometric shapes and using it as the core design for a map.

I was less than satisfied with the pulse grenades. Didn’t fine much situations in which they were useful. That could be a result of my limited play time, however.
Seems like they'd be incredibly useful for objective games; throwing it on top of a flag, in a doorway of a base for Dominion, or in the middle of a Hill. They seem to be very different than the regular grenades, but packaged in the same vein.

That picture is uncalled for.

Give me a break, this in the same thread as the words cocksucker and cunt are used liberally.

Again, my exact question:

So there is no radar in Slayer Pro?

Answer no. I didn't see where I went all nuts about it. If it was so offensive I would take it down.

edit: I took it down.

nillapuddin

It's not Double your matches. It's an extra 2 matches. Here's what it looks like.

GsLthl.png

Thats what I thought, so using that, to determine efficiency...

Product = Cost = # of DewXP games --> Cost per match

Mountain Dew
24 Pack = $6.98 = 12 matches --> 0.58 match

12 Pack = $3.98 = 6 matches --> 0.33 match

Doritos
11.5 oz = $2.68 = 12 matches --> 0.22 match

COMBOS

24+Doritos = 9.66 = 26 matches --> 0.37 match

12+Doritos = 6.66(!) = 20 matches --> 0.33 match

The best deal is still buying the chips outright

gillFTR

Was fortunate to get a 10 minute direct feed to a CTF exile.

Ill try to reupload it later to filesharing site, dont know if the person wants me using his site. Ninjas etc...

If you guys used NeoGAF Live Thread, there would be no tops of pages.

Amen! ;) Good stuff... I also use the quick reply extension.

Who is making the ForgeGAF OT? Looking forward to the time of rebirth!

Yep I volunteered, I'm rough drafting out a layout and what kind of information to fill in for it. Anybody want to through in types of information they would like to see in the Forge OT?

Definitely seeing the Pit inspiration... I'm liking it so far. I'm working on my blocking out in a mix of Sketchup and Unity for presentation. I'm in the process of rebuilding it right now based on feedback I've already received so hopefully I'll have a new version up soon. It is currently here:

http://think-again.comuf.com/

Looks like I'll be getting my LE 4 days earlier, fucking yes!

Totally jelly. One of these days I'll get my hands on an early copy. :|

Map looks interesting. I'm guessing that since it's inspired on The Pit that it's not complete, but I've always liked taking basic geometric shapes and using it as the core design for a map.

Agreed. I've found Pentagons and Hexagons to be fun to play with. I typically take one and duplicate/overlap/rotate in order to get some inspiration and start picking and choosing walls/paths based on the result. Loads of fun. :)

Seems like they'd be incredibly useful for objective games; throwing it on top of a flag, in a doorway of a base for Dominion, or in the middle of a Hill. They seem to be very different than the regular grenades, but packaged in the same vein.

Another use for them that I've seen is utilizing the fact that they pop instantly. They could be a great aggressive shield popper to give you a 2-3 shot lead in a single encounter. Could be very useful indeed if you have the jump on your opponent since it also has an instant AOE as well so there is little chance that you will miss.

MrBig

I turned off the top left section so that the bottom layer was visible; I've blocked it out as far as I want to before I actually get my hands on H4 and can solve the rest of the problems with H4's gameplay in mind. This is a Slayer/CTF Pro oriented map.

zlatko

Banned
Yea, if it was Hennessy that gave me double xp, I'd be all over it. Mountain Dookie and Dori's toes, no thanks.

I used to drink a lot of Mt. Dew, and I had my first the other day in over I'd say 6 months, and the taste was fuck awful. :/ Maybe I should try a code red, but the regular Dew was ass.

I'm sad we didn't get Gamer Fuel as part of this H4 promotion. From what my taste buds recall, Gamer Fuel is incredible tasting.

Raide

Yep I volunteered, I'm rough drafting out a layout and what kind of information to fill in for it. Anybody want to through in types of information they would like to see in the Forge OT?

Great to hear. I will look forward to seeing the OT.

Here is the old one just in case. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407389

Last time we tried to get the ForgeGAF people together to try and test out maps on a regular basis. It was great to do that and be able to get feedback and tweak the maps. Hopefully we can get it rolling for Halo4 as well.

The ForgeGAF Community was awesome and we had a great group of Forgers making some awesome maps.

As a slight tangent to this, any word on Halo Pro again for extra storage etc?

zlatko

Banned
Thats what I thought, so using that, to determine efficiency...

Product = Cost = # of DewXP games --> Cost per match

Mountain Dew
24 Pack = $6.98 = 12 matches --> 0.58 match

12 Pack = $3.98 = 6 matches --> 0.33 match

Doritos
11.5 oz = $2.68 = 12 matches --> 0.22 match

COMBOS

24+Doritos = 9.66 = 26 matches --> 0.37 match

12+Doritos = 6.66(!) = 20 matches --> 0.33 match

The best deal is still buying the chips outright

Thanks for doing the math for everyone. I think I'll just grab a 24 pack and a big ol bag of doriots and call it a day. I'll probably consume it all in my day and a half with the game. :p

Also, this pic of carter is awesome:

commander_carter_a259_by_ruspiee-d32nvw3.jpg

Top Bottom