• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

FyreWulff

It seems weird that the DMR doesn't bleedthrough but the BR does. Unless the DMR is just set up to have the damage to pop shields then kill, not enough to kill through them. Sounds like the second revision of the Reach TU with the Pistol not popping shields and the DMR popping shields all over again.

Looks like I'll be getting my LE 4 days earlier, fucking yes!

Z6CeZEWQB0W9PnnXFvIg2g2.gif

Wat

edit: this is where I talk about how awesome it is I'm at the top of the page right?

Nah - no one really cares. It happens 400 times a thread.

It seems weird that the DMR doesn't bleedthrough but the BR does. Unless the DMR is just set up to have the damage to pop shields then kill, not enough to kill through them. Sounds like the second revision of the Reach TU with the Pistol not popping shields and the DMR popping shields all over again.

I dont think its weird they did it, and I kind of see why and like the idea behind it - but it will certainly give the BR a advantage in a LOT of situations - and im not sure I will like that kind of balance in the long term.

I think there might be something to the theory that with the BR's 3-round burst, the first or second bullet might pop someone's shields, then the remaining part of the burst does health damage.

It will be interesting to see this tested/clarified.

FyreWulff

I think there might be something to the theory that with the BR's 3-round burst, the first or second bullet might pop someone's shields, then the remaining part of the burst does health damage.

It will be interesting to see this tested/clarified.

Feels more to me like DMR is "Reach mode" while the BR is "Halo 3 mode", ie, the weapon works like it did in the last game it showed up.

edit: I'd prefer universal bleedthrough or no bleedthrough at all.

MrBig

If any of you guys find one of these forge streams please try to grab some screens so those who missed it can see dem colors!

Light selection and appearance (solid + flashing, light is an orb that has collision) is the same as reach as far as I could tell, but you can now place 4 lights. They do not cast shadows.

Object coloring works the same way as Reach; select a color or team color and it is applied to a small accent stripe. This option is available for most pieces now.

There are redundant gametype label options, allowing pieces to be used for multiple purposes. There is a "User Data" option, unsure as to what it is used for. Defining pieces as an area with a shape volume is still possible.

All of the Reach scenery such as crates, cones, barricades, etc are still there and haven't been expanded from what I could tell.

They re-used those terrible Reach rocks and just re-skinned them as far as I could tell.

Useable area on Impact seems to be about as big as the Gulch on Forge world. This will certainly be the premiere forge area, as building space is plentiful and the skybox is easy to use to orient players. Lighting on Erosion is dull/unhelpful and the terrain is too cluttered, don't really see much use for this map beyond the court; will spawn many basic infection maps and such. Ravine, I don't know the extents of the map, but nothing on it seems too interesting or able to be used effectively without fighting with the terrain.

Forge options on the non forge-specific maps are as limited as they were in Reach.

zlatko

Banned
So before I bail out of work today I'd like to get something figured out for the DEXP promotion:

The cheapest way to get the max amount if I read right is:

1 24 pack
1 2 oz liter bottle
1 Giant size bag of doriots

Correct?

Booties

Banned
I've always said no radar is better because it forces players to be a little creative and unpredictable in their movement. You use more of the map, or parts that aren't used when radar is in place. This also creates a lot more thought in movement instead of just running around. Finally, it's just more skillful in general.

I don't think it should be a MM wide setting, but there should definitely be the option between playlists. 343 finally got something dead right. I can play casually with radar to learn the maps and the way most people play, then I can hop into slayer pro and mix things up a bit.

bGanci

Banned
So before I bail out of work today I'd like to get something figured out for the DEXP promotion:

1 24 pack
1 2 oz liter bottle

Correct?
How many games does that get you?

nillapuddin

1 24 pack
1 2 oz liter bottle

Correct?

I dont even know what you mean by that, I live in FL

I did this comparison at Walmart

Product = Cost = # of DewXP games = Units -> 200 Matches = Cost of Units -> 200

Mountain Dew
24 Pack = $6.98 = 12 matches = 17 units = $125.78

12 Pack = $3.98 = 6 matches = 34 units = $143.44

Doritos
11.5 oz = $2.68 = 12 matches = 17 units = $48.29

*Above is using 6% tax

read:
CHIPS DUDE, BUY ALL THE CHIPS

To NYCC HaloGAF: Did Kevin Franklin say any juicy deets on MP during the dinner you guys had?

Yes, we spent about an hour or so chilling at a bar discussing all sorts of Halo 4 tidbits. He was very friendly and openly talked about a lot of the game's mechanics. Nothing super secret, just neat insight into the development of a few features. Unfortunately, by letting Kevin/Kathy/Alison pay for our booze and appetizers we agreed to an informal NDA. We'd be jerks to break that.

(Don't let Hyper tease you about Invasion talk. We just briefly discussed one of the reasons it isn't in the game.)

Light selection and appearance (solid + flashing, light is an orb that has collision) is the same as reach as far as I could tell, but you can now place 4 lights. They do not cast shadows.

Object coloring works the same way as Reach; select a color or team color and it is applied to a small accent stripe. This option is available for most pieces now.

There are redundant gametype label options, allowing pieces to be used for multiple purposes. There is a "User Data" option, unsure as to what it is used for. Defining pieces as an area with a shape volume is still possible.

All of the Reach scenery such as crates, cones, barricades, etc are still there and have been expanded from what I could tell.

They re-used those terrible Reach rocks and just re-skinned them as far as I could tell.

Useable area on Impact seems to be about as big as the Gulch on Forge world. This will certainly be the premiere forge area, as building space is plentiful and the skybox is easy to use to orient players. Lighting on Erosion is dull/unhelpful and the terrain is too cluttered, don't really see much use for this map beyond the court; will spawn many basic infection maps and such. Ravine, I don't know the extents of the map, but nothing on it seems too interesting or able to be used effectively without fighting with the terrain.
Thanks for this. I'm very interested in the lights since we're still stuck with the accent team coloring on the pieces themselves. It would be great to properly use them for a change without having to sacrifice other design elements.

I really hope that the framerate of forge maps overall have an amazing improvement, especially since we're still working with the building block mentality of Halo 3. All I want to be able to build a relatively modest, aesthetically pleasing map that doesn't have to sacrifice anything to play well.

zlatko

Banned

Mountain Dew

Doritos

*Above is using 6% tax

read:

Isn't there some thing where if you redeem a chip code and a mt dew code it doubles it up or something?

Shit is confusing, but some GAFfer posted for 25 bucks you could max it out.

nillapuddin

Its not that confusing dude.

Chips = 12 games
12 pack = 6
24 pack = 12

25 bucks? yeah, right.
maybe if you steal the codes off of all the bags in the store, then buy 25 bucks worth of ice cream.

Isn't there some thing where if you redeem a chip code and a mt dew code it doubles it up or something?

if you put it a code for dew and chips at the same time, it adds to the total, but AFAIK it did not double the output. if it does someone needs to confirm that like right now, that changes everything

Yes, we spent about an hour or so chilling at a bar discussing all sorts of Halo 4 tidbits. He was very friendly and openly talked about a lot of the game's mechanics. Nothing super secret, just neat insight into the development of a few features. Unfortunately, by letting Kevin/Kathy/Alison pay for our booze and appetizers we agreed to an informal NDA. We'd be jerks to break that.
Actually, there's a question that's been rolling around in my head:
What was the beverage of choice? For HaloGAF and 343.

Nazgul's and Crispy's montage just reminds me how "beautiful" Halo 3 is.

willow ve

1 24 pack
1 2 oz liter bottle

Correct?

How many games does that get you?

Mountain Dew

Doritos

*Above is using 6% tax

read:

So the max double XP games you can bank is 200. Can you claim more after you've used the 200 in your bank? Can you gift people more even if they've already banked 200?

To add to the fun, here in the midwest, they only Doritos size I've see so far is the small single serving bags worth 3 matches each. Generally sold for around $1-$1.50. If those are all $1 where you are that might be the most effective (around $66).

Has anyone checked a Sam's or Costco to see if there are bundle/boxes of the small Doritos bags? that might bring the cost down considerably and they're very convenient to donate to a food pantry as they're individual serving sizes.

No idea if this has been confirmed, but that is a previous scheme Pepis Co and Frito Lay have run together. Buy separate = 1x points. Buy/enter codes together = 2x points.

Karl2177

Its not that confusing dude.

Chips = 12 games
12 pack = 6
24 pack = 12

25 bucks? yeah, right.
maybe if you steal the codes off of all the bags in the store, then buy 25 bucks worth of ice cream.
If you take into account what he said first, it could be around $25. I remember someone saying $25-$30 bucks to get max exp, but that was at least 2 or 3 days ago.

Top Bottom