• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

JHall

WALSHY and TSQUARED of course.

If I had my way I'd say armor abilities have no place in Halo.

Same. I'm a CE elitist.

But, I also understand 343i wants to evolve Halo to keep up with today's games. I'm too old
for arguments about balance and such.

BigShow does an amazing job with his posts. I agree with him on everything he says, so I see no point regurgitating what he says.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Just watched Episodes 2 and 3 of FUD. God damn this shit is really good man. I really like it. Can't wait to see the next episode already.

BigShow36

BigShow does an amazing job with his posts. I agree with him on everything he says, so I see no point regurgitating what he says.

I appreciate that. Apparently though I'm a big jerk head who hates Halo; most people on here rage at me and some of them add me to the ignore list (Stinkles, Alienshogun and Karl at last count).

if you buy halo 4 from microsoft, can you use the $25 of credit for microsoft points?

I don't see why not.

If you have a MS store near you, go take the Bing Challenge. You get a 25 dollar giftcard for pretty much doing nothing. Use it on Halo 4, then you get another 25 dollar gift card for MS points, halo 4 map pack, or whatever.

Nowise10

Some other things I fogot to mention:

There is no Sniper Rifle Headshot medal if you get a headshot.
Snapshot is just getting a kill with the sniper not being scoped, doesnt require a headshot.

Thruster Pack is INCREDIBLY useless. Like you move slower then walking with it.

Overshield doesnt have an invincibility timer on it. Once you pick it up, and you get shot, its going down.

The maps play really good.

The hologram glitch where if you activate it and die at the sametime, and a random spartan comes out still works. Same with the no gun glitch with it.

Its true you cant change grenades if you have an ordnance drop ready.

Special effects effect Promethean vision.

To go to the opposite extreme and say, "You can't know anything because you haven't played" is equally disingenuous. I can tell you a lot about a game without having played it.
You're right, and I don't think he knows nothing about the game, nor do I doubt he has valid concerns on design choice, but what he doesn't have is any established argument on why Infinity Slayer will fail in a matchmaking environment. It's an unfounded assertion.

I never said the critcism came before the game was released. Also, the update was only to Slayer on Zealot, I believe the rest of the gameypes still had it.
My point was that the turnaround on a fix was damn quick.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Everything good gets nerfed. Everything good gets nerfed. Everything good gets nerfed. Everything good gets nerfed. Everything good gets nerfed. Everything good gets nerfed. Everything good gets nerfed. Everything good gets nerfed. Everything good gets nerfed. Everything good gets nerfed. Everything good gets nerfed. Everything good gets nerfed. Everything good gets nerfed. Everything good gets nerfed. Everything good gets nerfed. Everything good gets nerfed. Everything good gets nerfed. Everything good gets nerfed.

I appreciate that. Apparently though I'm a big jerk head who hates Halo; most people on here rage at me and some of them add me to the ignore list (Stinkles, Alienshogun and Karl at last count).

Quiet jerk.
<3

Sprint and Jetpack have no place in Halo, they break map control and flow.

The other AA's I've seen don't have nearly the same impact as those two do.

I disagree. Halo 4's Sprint would've worked wonders in Halo 1 because of the fast kill times. Just look at Murder Miners, that game has dodge and Sprint and it works well. Those Hang 'Em High catwalks and getting spawn-trapped at Red Base would've been more bearable.. not to mention hours-long CTF games B]

It's not clear in the game, but I think we are fighting the first didact, not bornstellar.

Also, I'm a bit disappointed, because the Didact is exactly what I do not want he to be, just a bad guy who want to destroy the humanity for some reasons.

But with the epilogue, I guess Master Chief will never be the same in the next game, and maybe (I hope) not the nice soldier he actually is. It would be cool to have bad Master Chief, fighting for revenge against everything, humanity, covenant and forerunner.

Reminds me of one old movie when the old marines were replaced with new genetic upgraded marines but in the end the old marines won because they were more experienced in battle.

Ken

Snapshot is just getting a kill with the sniper not being scoped, doesnt require a headshot.

Overshield doesnt have an invincibility timer on it. Once you pick it up, and you get shot, its going down.

The hologram glitch where if you activate it and die at the sametime, and a random spartan comes out still works. Same with the no gun glitch with it.

You forgot to preface with "my friend."

Apparently the price on the Halo 4 360 has dropped permanently to $349.99, and anyone who pre-ordered and paid in full (like me) is getting $50 back. Woo!

JHall

People don't like to hear the truth when it's about their baby.

FyreWulff

Yep, it's the one best example of the community telling a developer something, the developer ignoring it, and it came true.

Gears 3 is the first game I played the shit out of the beta for, bought it for a full 60$ when it came out.. and basically didn't play it.

My brother started a co-op run with me and his friends.. we got two-three missions in and never went further.

I played like one or two multiplayer matches, no Horde.. any achievements on my profile for Gears 3 multi was from my third brother using my gamertag to play online with my second brother.

I keep wanting to go back to it and actually play it, but I think "i don't want to buy the season pass to be relevant online and I don't want to go against all the experienced players rolling around with sawed offs. fuggit. throwing in reach
or rock band blitz
."

Some other things my friend fogot to mention:

There is no Sniper Rifle Headshot medal if my friend gets a headshot.

Thruster Pack is INCREDIBLY useless. Like my friend moves slower then walking with it.

Overshield doesnt have an invincibility timer on it. Once my friend picks it up, and he get shot, its going down.

The hologram glitch where if my friend activates it and die at the sametime, and a random spartan comes out still works. Same with the no gun glitch with it.

Its true my friend cant change grenades if you have an ordnance drop ready.

fixed

You said this was your friend playing? Did you leave out the "imaginary" in the sentence?

feel

Infinity slayer will be a broken mess when released from the confines of 343 playtests and convention center lans. Of that there is no doubt.
Hey man I got showered with swag and treated like a king while I played Halo 4 for the first time ever in a friendly LAN at a crowded event and I'm telling you, Infinity Slayer is the tops.

Fuchsdh

Dmiiu.jpg

I think I'd really like more of Halo 4's armor if the helmets weren't all tiny-visored. I think that's my main design gripe.

Can we use the skins on whatever armor we want or are they exclusive to an armor set? Hope I can change the helmet at least, I might as well run around looking like Spider-Man.

ElRenoRaven

No. I'm not going to sit here and have a new company redesign 11 years of character content. Honestly, its change for the sake of change and Most of you will disagree withm e on that

Gears 3 is the first game I played the shit out of the beta for, bought it for a full 60$ when it came out.. and basically didn't play it.

My brother started a co-op run with me and his friends.. we got two-three missions in and never went further.

I played like one or two multiplayer matches, no Horde.. any achievements on my profile for Gears 3 multi was from my third brother using my gamertag to play online with my second brother.

I keep wanting to go back to it and actually play it, but I think "i don't want to buy the season pass to be relevant online and I don't want to go against all the experienced players rolling around with sawed offs. fuggit. throwing in reach
or rock band blitz
."

That so reminds me. I need to finish that game. A friend bought Gears 3 for me for Christmas. Got like 2 missions in or so and just quit.

Hey just for giggles, I see everyone with a knowledge of the book canon and I am wondering which books specifically relate the the trailer and Halo 4? I don't imagine they borrowed from all of them but just in case, what is the proper reading order?

Moa

Can we use the skins on whatever armor we want or are they exclusive to an armor set? Hope I can change the helmet at least, I might as well run around looking like Spider-Man.

Good luck trying to figure that one out, it is one of the most asked questions since the announcement of skins.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Hey just for giggles, I see everyone with a knowledge of the book canon and I am wondering which books specifically relate the the trailer and Halo 4? I don't imagine they borrowed from all of them but just in case, what is the proper reading order?

Primarily Fall of Reach. (First book you should read anyways)

For halo 4 it's 4 books (6 in the end)

Glass lands - Thursday war
Cryptum - primordium

Tawpgun

if you buy halo 4 from microsoft, can you use the $25 of credit for microsoft points?

Wait is this legit? My friend told me if you buy it from the MS Store you get some insane deal.
I sort of noticed this at NYCC... The thing would stop your momentum when trying to jump + thrust with it. And I felt like I didn't go that far when using it.

Woorloog

Banned

For Halo 4, you might want to read Cryptum and Primordium, Glasslands and the Thursday war (for them, Ghosts of Onyx). Watch Halo Anniversary terminals too.
Oh and Fall of Reach explains the creation of Spartans, the launch trailer visualized this. This one first.

EDIT argh, beaten, partially. Also, the four books i listed go deeper and setup the story for Halo 4 but aren't required reading.

I actually really like the trailer that they have for Halo 4. I understand that people may dislike the general fact that it doesn't work too well for advertising to new fans, but as fan service its pretty cool.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Fall of reach is the main one.

JHall

Quiet jerk.
<3

I disagree. Halo 4's Sprint would've worked wonders in Halo 1 because of the fast kill times. Just look at Murder Miners, that game has dodge and Sprint and it works well. Those Hang 'Em High catwalks and getting spawn-trapped at Red Base would've been more bearable.. not to mention hours-long CTF games B]

With sprint. I know they put stopping power in Halo 4, but I haven't seen any videos were it actually comes into play. Now if they made the stopping power akin to Gears 3, where you essentially slow down to a crawl and walking is faster when being shot. I'd be slightly ok with it.

I just don't like sprint, at all.

Woorloog

Banned
Good luck trying to figure that one out, it is one of the most asked questions since the announcement of skins.

IIRC, based on the videos showing the armory (official ones, from PAX, IGN's i think), each piece has two variants (if the armor has a skin version), one without the skin and one with the skin. Mix and match.

Moa

Im actually serious >_<
I dont pirate games. Launch day is where its at.

Hes told all of this stuff to me on Xbox LIVE/MSN, I talk to him like everyday.

His nickname is Bobberson.

Yup, just casually posting a link to a Halo 4 stream in a topic where the 343i devs post and read.

Smart idea.

For Halo 4, you might want to read Cryptum and Primordium, Glasslands and the Thursday war (for them, Ghosts of Onyx). Watch Halo Anniversary terminals too.
Oh and Fall of Reach explains the creation of Spartans, the launch trailer visualized this. This one first.

EDIT argh, beaten, partially. Also, the four books i listed go deeper and setup the story for Halo 4 but aren't required reading.

So,

Fall Of Reach
Ghosts Of Onyx
Glasslands
Thursday War
Cryptum
Primordium

That order?

Woorloog

Banned
So,

Fall Of Reach
First Strike
Ghosts Of Onyx
Glasslands
Thursday War
Cryptum
Primordium

That order?

Fixed and yes.
EDIT First Strike sets up Ghost of Onyx and Halo 2, but is not really needed.
Fall of Reach is the base most of Halo's expanded fiction is built around. Kinda.

Top Bottom