• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Reach could have the greatest ranking system in human history, cheater-proof, 100% accurate skill matching, and I STILL wouldn't play that piece of shit game.

Well the situation exists with Halo 3.

amiright.gif
heyyoo.gif
shotsfired.gif

I think I might play some H3 right now, it's been a long time.

If we do some kind of league, I'm gonna request a 3-to-4-month sabbatical from Halo 4's release date. Wait until we're all bored of playing the same few maps and gametypes and we want to mix it up a bit.

Karl2177

rpaBy.png

Or because of the cat.
tumblr_mc0fkunmZA1ruwvo8o3_500.png

Ramirez

Amazingly, multiple people in this thread have stated that they would play more of a shit game with a ranking system, than an awesome game that doesn't have one, which absolutely blew my mind.

It's easy to say something stupid like that knowing you will never have to follow through with it.

Those cats are too awesome, and I hate cats!

Fracas

#fuckonami
It ended about six months after it started.

It wasn't that bad....like 2 and half.

Still pretty bad lol

edit: Depending on what we do for the next HaloGAF "event", is there anyone that just can't/won't do a league? I'm not going to exclude anyone that wants to play. I'm completely happy regardless of what we end up doing.

heckfu

Banned
It wasn't that bad....like 2 and half.

Still pretty bad lol

edit: Depending on what we do for the next HaloGAF "event", is there anyone that just can't/won't do a league? I'm not going to exclude anyone that wants to play. I'm completely happy regardless of what we end up doing.

I'd love to do a league but my schedule is about to turn wonky.

Swarmerr

Obviously it's hard, my point was that no one at the end of the day cares what rank you are. Once you reach max rank, how do you know who is the best from that point on? There's a ceiling online, I was a 50 in 3, but the highest I ever attained in MLG was 47, ranks mean little to nothing, because even if you reach max rank, there's always a multitude of people out there who will crap on you every time you play.

All I'm saying is, it's cool to want a ranking system (I want one!), but once you cross the line of saying "There's simply no way I could enjoy this game without a visual rank!", it just becomes silly.

I understand what your saying and I don't think it is as simple as "people can't enjoy the game without a visual rank". I feel its more along the lines of the game would be just that much more fun with visual ranks.

Granted, you have also stated that you want visual ranks. I think where I slightly disagree with your point is when you state that gameplay rules all. (even though I think gameplay is very very very important for a good game, kinda goes without saying) Games like counterstrike and unreal tournament have amazing gameplay but are lacking in how players get into games with each other. When I tried to get into counterstrike a year ago I found it impossible to try and get started. No matter what server I joined I seemed to always be facing players with much more experience than myself. After getting shafted for about 20 games I simply gave up on trying to play counterstrike. I consider myself a competitive player and not having the chance to even be competitive with other players was extremely frustrating.

Halo 4 doesn't need visual ranks to match players of equal skill together, but, I would have found it reassuring if they were included. As of right now we have been told that players will be matched based on skill but other than that we have very little details on the how. This concerns me. Wouldn't it make much more sense to give the halo community an in depth explanation of how players are matched together when the system is invisible to the player, than to give us an explanation of the progression system that lies in plain sight.

I could be worried for absolutely no reason about the matchamking system. It's just the lack of details so close to launch do not inspire confidence.

How about a FFA tournament? Top half of the players will continue to the next round.
And no, not Regicide.

We could do a GOLDEN SHOWERS reboot. Call it GOLDEN STALLS or SILVER LININGS.

No shields, everyone gets bottomless clip binary rifles, no radar, everyone gets good camo + Stealth and Dexterity packages, 300% jump height, 90% gravity, 150% movement speed.

Oh, and it's all Oddball on Abandon.

Ramirez

But that makes balancing teams impossible.

Balance shouldn't be a concern for a league, just like RL, there are power house teams, the chance of upsets and spoilers is what makes it interesting.

Swarmer, I agree with you mostly, thanks for the level headed response. One thing to note is that PC games can't really be compared to consoles because you're comparing servers to MM.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Making teams random hurts the pace of it, IMO. Let people team up with people they normally play with.

That's a problem though because the skill distribution is skewed. There are some good players here, and they all most likely end up on the same teams, which makes sense.

So you'll have what 2, maybe 3 top tier teams with the best players. The other teams would pretty much loose every game against the best teams, with their only competition being the other best teams. And having the majority of teams competing for, at best, third or forth overall place isn't that fun or motivating.

The best way to do it, in terms of balance, is arranging teams based on skill, but that's significantly less fun than playing with your buddies. Balance is important. No one wants to compete for something they know from the start they don't stand a chance of winning.

So damm awkward to organise these things.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Making teams random hurts the pace of it, IMO. Let people team up with people they normally play with.

But that makes balancing teams impossible.
Yeah, that's the main problem with letting people form their own teams. We'd have 3-4 superteams that would be the only contenders for the championship. There's nothing wrong with playing with guys you know, but having those superteams could really make the tournament not as enjoyable for many people.
I'd love to do a league but my schedule is about to turn wonky.
Ah balls. Noted.

Now let's see if I still have my old stats documents.

Noricart

We could do a GOLDEN SHOWERS reboot. Call it GOLDEN STALLS or SILVER LININGS.

No shields, everyone gets bottomless clip binary rifles, no radar, everyone gets good camo + Stealth and Dexterity packages, 300% jump height, 90% gravity, 150% movement speed.

Oh, and it's all Oddball on Abandon.

Just wait for the Sword Base remake.
Yeah, that's the main problem with letting people form their own teams. We'd have 3-4 superteams that would be the only contenders for the championship. There's nothing wrong with playing with guys you know, but having those superteams could really make the tournament not as enjoyable for many people.

Ah balls. Noted.

Now let's see if I still have my old stats documents.
Gaming Age Invitational League?

Karl2177

That's a problem though because the skill distribution is skewed. There are some good players here, and they all most likely end up on the same teams, which makes sense.

So you'll have what 2, maybe 3 top tier teams with the best players. The other teams would pretty much loose every game against the best teams, with their only competition being the other best teams. And having the majority of teams competing for, at best, third or forth overall place isn't that fun or motivating.

The best way to do it, in terms of balance, is arranging teams based on skill, but that's significantly less fun than playing with your buddies.

How about pairs? You get to choose one other person to play with. Then the other pair that you are matched up with is based on skill. The biggest downside is that top-tier players might be dragged down by the other pair.

MrDaravon

Maybe do two different tournaments, one where people pick teams, and the other not? For the random one maybe it could be balanced by having everyone who wants to play participate in one FFA match full of GAFers, then make balanced teams based on those results if that makes sense.

Gui_PT

Hope Halo 4 has at least 8 hours of cutscenes. Some of them an hour long like MGS4

Will be a dark day for the series if not.

How about pairs? You get to choose one other person to play with. Then the other pair that you are matched up with is based on skill. The biggest downside is that top-tier players might be dragged down by the other pair.

I would say go in this route, except make it a mentor system. Have the pro pick their bk of choice and teach them the ways of Halo 4. Mentor + bk get matched up with another mentor + bk.

By this logic Dax would have to adopt me because of my pro pipe affinity, but then I'd offer to protect him with the Mantis and he would promptly disown me.

CyReN

I never got the whole "copy cod" thing, there will be certain elements that are always similar in games that are used for the common good or what a majority of the gaming community likes. People seem to forget that gaming isn't some taboo thing done by the hardcore crowd now but something that a big blockbuster and is casual. I can't say much about Halo 4 since I've only seen countless gameplay and impressions from various people but it does get kinda of old.

Props to those in the CoD community though that don't complain when they get features that Halo started (could be wrong in some, but made big by) on console first like: ranks, theater, online stats, etc. They seem to welcome them with open arms.

That my 2 cents on it.

Karl2177

I would say go in this route, except make it a mentor system. Have the pro pick their bk of choice and teach them the ways of Halo 4. Mentor + bk get matched up with another mentor + bk.

By this logic Dax would have to adopt me because of my pro pipe affinity, but then I'd offer to protect him with the Mantis and he would promptly disown me.

Mentor+BK isn't great. What Ram is trying to get at is that he likes playing with Captain Blood or Trasher. Those two are definitely not BKs and neither is Ram. It would be pretty unfair to say that he can't play with them because he has to be paired with Ryan or Shadow. That's why I say form your pair, rank your pair, and pair the pairs. When a "season" is over, reassign skills to the pairs, maybe switch up the pairs, and start over again.

Looking back at the old skill tiers...

Haha, I goofed hard on a few people.

I don't mean this to be offensive, but your system was very, very weak. I have quite a few players full stats, but it is nowhere near complete. Especially with all of the new juniors since April.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Mentor+BK isn't great. What Ram is trying to get at is that he likes playing with Captain Blood or Trasher. Those two are definitely not BKs and neither is Ram. It would be pretty unfair to say that he can't play with them because he has to be paired with Ryan or Shadow. That's why I say form your pair, rank your pair, and pair the pairs. When a "season" is over, reassign skills to the pairs, maybe switch up the pairs, and start over again.

I like this idea. I need to think and discuss everything with kittens.

I'm going to refrain from disclosing details in the thread for awhile. We had this problem last time; trying to hammer out details in a public forum doesn't work, you can't please everyone.

We'll post updates but for now it'd probably be best to quietly plan. We'll take all opinions/ideas/personal schedules into account when doing this though.
2v2
No random teams
Mix of Infinity Slayer and Slayer Pro, or just Infinity Slayer
Best of 3/5 per match
Separate North American and European Leagues
Solace, Haven, Abandon and maybe Relay
You have one week to complete your match and report back
8 match season
Top 8 teams make playoffs based on record. Any ties in record to go 1 game playoff.

This is just off the top of my head so feel free to pick it apart and offer suggestions. Figured someone would need to get it started.

I obviously haven't played it, but right now I'm definitely against Infinity Slayer for a tourney/league. I just don't see it as competitively viable for what we're wanting to do.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
2v2
No random teams
Best of 3/5 per match
8 match season
Top 8 teams make playoffs based on record. Any ties in record to go 1 game playoff.

This is just off the top of my head so feel free to pick it apart and offer suggestions. Figured someone would need to get it started.

Ramirez

Hmm, I dunno, I welcome the challenge. I would know going in that Tashi/Plywoods team would probably be better than mine, but that would just make me want to beat them more. No one on this forum is THAT much better than anyone else. *shrug*

Redford

aka Cabbie
2v2
No random teams
Best of 3/5 per match
8 match season

This part is brilliant.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hmm, I dunno, I welcome the challenge. I would know going in that Tashi/Plywoods team would probably be better than mine, but that would just make me want to beat them more. No one on this forum is THAT much better than anyone else. *shrug*

Exactly. You look at the schedule and you're like, "week 2 is easy, 3 is tough, we definitely gotta win this one". Would be fun.

Booties

Banned
why are you guys so against making your own teams? If you suck then why are trying so hard to win? if you're doing it for fun then who cares what team your on? I don't get it. just do a losers bracket if you want to keep playing after you get stomped out of the first 2 rounds.

Top Bottom