• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

I still want to see this:

LjXpO.jpg

It would also be cool to see some sort of snow mobile mongoose replacement.

It's actually about 5% smaller than game scale, but Spartans make it look sort of normal in game. It is enormous. Lots of really amazing detail in it too.

So, who has dibs on the hog? Does it get to hang out at 343?

Ramirez

Ok so lets figure out a league for H4 launch.

How many teams do we need? Do we go by record in pools or have one open season? Go by points? 4v4? Who are the team captains blah blah blah

Yes, let's talk about something productive! All of this slurping has my jaws hurting.

Fracas

#fuckonami
kittens and I are currently planning for the next HaloGAF Tournament. Do you guys want to do a league instead? People seem to be interested in it, and I'd be fine with doing it if enough guys want to.

Redford

aka Cabbie
It is kind of annoying. I would really like to know if there will be an FFA playlist and not just Regicide. Regicide looks dumb so it would be a shame to have that be the only FFA mode in matchmaking. I really hope that what has been leaked are not the final launch playlists. Seems very strange for them to have KoTH as its own playlist. Also, no Extraction in matchmaking?

I'm also wondering when they are planning on officially revealing Extraction as a game type. 2 weeks from launch and they haven't said a word about it...

They will condense KotH into a standard FFA within a month I bet; just for launch etc.

kittens and I are currently planning for the next HaloGAF Tournament. Do you guys want to do a league instead? People seem to be interested in it, and I'd be fine with doing it if enough guys want to.

Which game? I'm guessing H4. If so, for sure.

Alright cool, thanks man. Just donated :D Very excited about this project and hopefully it works out well for you.

hopefully this game doesn't suck dick. I haven't played much Halo at all in the past year which isn't something I woud've expected during H3's reign. If this game blows I don't think I will keep playing it like I did Reach.

then again new consoles next year so if it sucks maybe we'll only have to play it for a year until we get H2 XBLA when the 720 launches

Actually thinking about it now.. With all the improvements made to Halo 4's Multiplayer, I don't think I could ever go back to any other Halo MP except for Halo 1.

Overdoziz

Banned
More 4v4 matches where half the people won't show up?
Count me in.

HaloGAF needs a 1v1 tournament or league.
Separate Euro and US ones of course.

Ramirez

Leeeeeeeeeague!

International players need to be on the same team though.

feel

What's the point of a tourney/league at launch? Everyone's gonna be too excited just getting into the game. Save it for when things get stale in a few months.

I didn't meant bullshit as in wrong. I meant the CoD talk was bullshit. I guess I should have just used shit. My bad.

Text over the screen is the most over talked about thing in Halo 4. I didn't even fucking notice it in the very first game I've played. I've actually never heard impressions from people saying they noticed the text or it even bothering them.

Killstreaks and Personal Ordnance are completely fucking different. I'm sure you know the ways so I don't have to explain them. If you need me to though, just ask.

No friendly fire. I don't know how I feel about this honestly. I don't think I noticed it while playing. Not something I characterize CoD with so in that regard, I don't think it makes it more or less like CoD. It just is what it is.

People have been complaining about grenade spam for years. Seems like a natural evolution. And honestly I was getting tired of all the grenades myself. It's one of my biggest complaints with Reach. Melee's being another one.

I don't like death cam. I wish it wasn't there. I prefer to rotate the camera around either my dead body or my teammates. However, I understand why it was put in, especially with Infinity Slayer. Sure CoD has it but the reasoning behind its implementation wasn't, "hey let's add this from CoD". That's for damn sure.

Armor Mods and perks are certainly similar and even some of the specific ones are the same. However, they don't effect gameplay enough to where it starts to not play like Halo.

Sprint was in Reach and I really liked it. Pretty sure CoD wasn't the first game to have sprint. And who knows, there may have been earlier iterations of Halo with sprint in it that just didn't make the final cut. I like Sprint because of what it does for jumps and just map movement in general. I also like Halo without sprint. I've been pleased with both.

Customizable loadouts is one of the best things to come to Halo. Since Halo 2 we've complained about getting stuck with weapons we didn't like. For example, SMG's and even AR. It just makes sense and honestly it probably took too long to come. They have essentially the best rifles from the entire series for you to choose as your starting weapon. I don't ever have to start with an AR again. That's huge to me.

When it comes down to describing and thinking about the base gameplay for both Halo and CoD, how much of those things you listed actually come into conversation? Halo still plays like Halo.

Sure, you can not like the settings and maybe even some of those things are just not your cup of tea. But you can't just say it's too much like CoD now just because of those things. When you're in a game and you're jumping around the map, getting into fights, teamshooting, backing down and letting your shields recharge and doing all these other things, you'll see that it's still Halo.

I appreciate the feedback. I still have my reservations. From my perspective all of these things have come from other games so I can't help but compare it.

Purplemage

Neo Member
I know all the cool kids here have played 4 and I'm sure I'd probably not want to go back after touching something so magical but anyone wanna jump on Reach for a bit?

I still want to see this:

LjXpO.jpg

It would also be cool to see some sort of snow mobile mongoose replacement.

So, who has dibs on the hog? Does it get to hang out at 343?

James Cameron gets a Mantis avatar mech in his front lawn. Frank and Kiki get it on alternate days. Anyone else notice Frank's shirt in that video looked suspiciously like the map Abandon?

I'd be cool with a launch league. I had Plywood and Cyren on my team so we were a guaranteed win, right? Nope, we had zoojoo too.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Just prepping for it and deciding on game modes would take a month or more.
Yeah, exactly. We hadn't discussed specific dates yet, but we were thinking early 2013. Probably January. After the madness of the holidays.

After watching a lot of multiplayer footage, I came to the conclusion that even tho I strongly dislike some changes (especially the abomination that is CTF, and the lack of friendly fire), most of the changes seem to be for the better, and I'd rather have them change a lot and have a few bad changes among them than do the same thing Bungie did for Halo 3/ODST and change too little.

Thank you for evolving Halo, 343i.

Yeah, just to be clear. I think Frankie is doing a stellar job especially on his own time. Yes I am being critical but I have an LE console and LE edition of the game on order and plan to support the DLC as long as it isn't a greed fest so I am planning on fully supporting this game.

Was it really abused? I feel like they're throwing the baby out with the bathwater on this issue.
Oh, grenades are spammed: make it so you can't pick them up!
People betray for power weapons: make betrayal impossible!
Ranks lead to cheating and boosting: remove any sort of visible rank possible!
Great/experienced players know how to time weapon drops and powerups: put that shit on a roulette wheel and give everyone a waypoint!
Spawn traps are frustrating for the the team getting donged: change the spawn to random all over the map!
It's hard to play as a team and push to get rockets/sniper/etc.: give everyone the opportunity to "earn" their own power weapon!
It's so boring to sit out for 3-5 seconds after being killed: just mash X to instantly get back into the battle!
Capture the flag is so confusing: no more dropping the flag, add waypoints, Steitzer should yell at you!

How these decisions sound fun to so many on HaloGAF is even harder to understand than the actual decision making process that has led to Halo 4 being COD.

This is how I feel. I don't understand how anyone can feel otherwise. You can say you are for it and that is fine but to intimate that Halo is now not unlike CoD, BF3 etc is not being honest. Yes, there may be legit reasons behind it but Halo was not like this, the other game was. After the fact now, Halo 4 has more in common with CoD than Halo 3.

No? The rewards, XP, FF, Killstreaks.

GhaleonEB

Reach grenade spam was a bunch of shit, this helps a lot with that problems actually.

Also you still start out with the grenades.

Reach grenade spam was a problem because of Reach grenades. Bring them back to Halo 3's nades, and I think the problem is largely solved.

Which is what I think they did; and then cut the grenade drop on kill on top of it. The result is a very gun-heavy game. Most will probably be okay with this.

Karl2177

Ok so lets figure out a league for H4 launch.

How many teams do we need? Do we go by record in pools or have one open season? Go by points? 4v4? Who are the team captains blah blah blah
For the initial league, you'll want to do it as an open league with random picks. This way you can get data on everyone and potentially even see who works well with who. I'd say 4v4.

I'd rather have another community tournament.

I'd like this too.

What am I slurping you ignoramus? I said I WANTED ranks, but it is not a deal breaker, and it is childish to be in that state of mind. At the end of the day, gameplay rules all, or at least it should. A game could have an amazing ranking system, but play like complete crap, and you're telling me you'd play it just because it caters to your desire to be the best on the internet?

If most of you truly strive to be the best, you'd be attending MLG events, no one cares that you're a level 50 in Halo MM.

Amazingly, multiple people in this thread have stated that they would play more of a shit game with a ranking system, than an awesome game that doesn't have one, which absolutely blew my mind.

Tawpgun

Solace and Haven are fine for 2 v 2. Adrift might have too many corridors despite it being a small map. Haven't played on abandon.

Is that something he did? No clue.
I think he's referring to this:

http://www.bungie.net/news/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=26366

...which I wrote because Brian Jarrard asked me to; I'm hardly going to trash Bungie's game at their request. Not that I really feel the need to trash Reach overall: I've had far more good times playing it than bad, and bloom is nowhere near the top of my list of bugbears. In fact, I think bloom is fine when everyone's ping is <50ms.

Amazingly, multiple people in this thread have stated that they would play more of a shit game with a ranking system, than an awesome game that doesn't have one, which absolutely blew my mind.

Reach could have the greatest ranking system in human history, cheater-proof, 100% accurate skill matching, and I STILL wouldn't play that piece of shit game.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
At my local Gamestop they take people up to the counter to print receipts or preorder before being sent back outside to form a line to get the game.
Eh, at my local one for the Reach launch, they asked who in the line had preordered and those that had simply went up and gave their receipts and got their copy, one and done.

Top Bottom