• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

MrDaravon

I took a quick look but couldn't find one, does anyone know of a detailed Commendation requirements breakdown anywhere? Most of the ones I found only had the requirements for the first few levels. Specifically though I'm looking for how many total Slayer victories are needed for the Slayer Victory - Master commendation. The ridiculous and absurd grind to get the only Helmet + attachment I wanted in Reach never happened and was one of the things that discouraged me from that game, so I'm curious if I'm similarly fucked here or not on the Gungnir helmet.

3KD?

I dunno sounds like Trueskill just needs some time, game just came out.

image.php

Just wanted to say I'm positive about Halo 4 and working on my own essay for those interested in reading a positive perspective...(inspired by sltPoison)

I'll post it late today or tomorrow morning, so 5-24 hours

Sordid

In the middle of a game my loadouts disappeared and I could only pick the AR/Hardlight Shield. I thought it was the loadout glitch people mention but after the game finished my loadouts were still there :/

Fuchsdh

The medals in this game are appalling and a disservice to the series. Original one's were beautifully iconic. Double is yellow with two stars, triple, green with three yellow stars etc. You don't mess with that shit when you're entrusted with the Halo franchise.

I like the medals. They recede back a bit in-game and as others have pointed out some are pretty similar, but considering the UI overflow in the game that's fine by me.

On the list of things that shouldn't be messed with in the Halo series, I would have rated the designs of the Covenant, the Chief, the Forward Unto Dawn, the music, and the Forerunners over some medals. You've got to pick your battles.

Really close matchups on the reg.

To do with a matchmaking update? The below latency/region fix update may have also updated parameters for skill matching too?

From Waypoint

Latency/lag issues when matchmaking with non-regional players
UPDATE: This issue has been resolved.
We are aware and investigating this issue.

Maybe the data is finally getting more accurate for players too? Seems weird they don't use data from previous games though? It would mean they could skill/latency match from data across Reach or Halo 3 AND Halo 4 for the same gamertags/xboxes...

Havok

I posted this over in the gaming side thread, but the topic seems to come up over here pretty regularly, so here goes. I wrote a bit about the effects of Global Ordnance over at my dumb blog, and 2600 words later, I still don't really care for it (or at least its current implementation). As with the impressions I posted there earlier in the month, the length is the only reason I'm linking it instead of posting it directly, as I know some folks don't like to scroll past big text blocks.

I posted this over in the gaming side thread, but the topic seems to come up over here pretty regularly, so here goes. I wrote a bit about the effects of Global Ordnance over at my dumb blog, and 2600 words later, I still don't really care for it (or at least its current implementation). As with the impressions I posted there earlier in the month, the length is the only reason I'm linking it instead of posting it directly, as I know some folks don't like to scroll past big text blocks.

"Armchair Designing

A wholly owned subsidiary of HaloGAF, Inc."

Nice lol

STOP VOTING FOR RAGNORAK YOU DUMB PIECES OF ONLINE SHIT

----------------------------------

Is there an online list of what all the commendations unlock?

trueskill is definitely better implemented then in reach. the problem is that we are playing in essence social slayer. people in general don't give it their all.

Overdoziz

Banned
So I was checking out Waypoint to see what my last Halo 4 game was and just...

...who got paid to design this? There's an animated background to top it all off.

And apparently I wasn't even in the last game that I played and gotten 16 kills in. :|

1-what difference does it make if its is global ordnance for a player to betray you for that weapon or yell at you because you took it? It can still happen. And i dont know where are you getting that a random power weapon placing helps teamwork, it only make a team work more as individuals and less as a team, because thats the onnly thing randomness promotes.

Also, people are moving on to other games regardless, so puting a static weapon spawn at fault is moot and is challenged by the fact that a lot of people didnt moved on in previous halo titles..

2-halo 4 only rewards chance: if you by chance got a sniper drop in front of you without moving, you didn't had to fight for it you just stumble upon it.
I guess I see it like this: Personal ordnance is great for raising the game's skill floor, providing players more time to experiment with weapons in combat scenarios earlier and more often, and makes griefing over weaponry less likely. This is a good thing.

Global Ordnance though, yeah, I can now understand where people are coming from but unlike many here I'd still like something different from static spawns, but also without the random/weighted ordnance system. Both static spawns and the current global ordnance reward team play in different ways and require a different dynamic, but one has a luck factor that the other does not, and I can see how that can get on people's nerves.

And apparently I wasn't even in the last game that I played and gotten 16 kills in. :|
And it didn't recordmy solo playthrough of mission 5 on launch day, nor the solo Forerunner mission I just wrapped up for the weekly. Got the challenge ticked off though. Fix this shit Guerilla!

DeadNames

Banned
Yeah they are in my experience. The Mantis, Scorpion, and Banshee fair alright, but the Warthog and even the Wraith are destroyed almost instantly every time.

I've destroyed a ghost with a magnum before... I think the ghost is extremely weak. Going after this green visor is hell...

I like the medals. They recede back a bit in-game and as others have pointed out some are pretty similar, but considering the UI overflow in the game that's fine by me.

On the list of things that shouldn't be messed with in the Halo series, I would have rated the designs of the Covenant, the Chief, the Forward Unto Dawn, the music, and the Forerunners over some medals. You've got to pick your battles.

None of the things you listed bother me in the slightest. I'm not a big campaign guy though. To me, the medals in multi are an integral part of Halo's identity and to see them sidelined to central white text is saddening. There's also far, far too many of them now, to the point they're basically devalued. Another problem is that they're buried two clicks behind the UI in the post game lobby and the 'top medals' list is conspicuously absent too. I just miss the jolt of awesome that was seeing the big bright multi-kill medals accompanying my massacring on the field.

Ideal world they'd patch the UI and integrate the old medals and lobby system to boot. Remove instant respawn from all non-infinity gametypes, implement fixed weapon spawns, add a visible in game ranking system and flush Active Camo down the shit chute and it might just be my favourite online Halo game. As it stands I'm enjoying my time with Halo 4 but it's missing that extra 5% that made Halo the greatest by a mile. It oftentimes feels mindless. Love the guns and thruster pack though.

Thermite

So I was checking out Waypoint to see what my last Halo 4 game was and just...

...who got paid to design this? There's an animated background to top it all off.

Waypoint literally has one of the worst website designs I've ever seen. Bungie laid out the perfect blueprint for accessing all your stats, just copy that shit pls.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Huh?

"You are playing with a newer version of Halo 4 than the party you tried to join"
The more and more I see this and how map exploits were fixed on the fly leads me to believe Halo 4 is using MS' new patching system. If that's the case, this is awesome :)

Can we get 2 Pulse grenades to start out with since nobody knows how to fucking use them right anyway?

Also, can we be allowed to combine grenade types in loadouts? 1 Plasma + 1 Frag, 2 Pulse + 1 Plasma with Grenadier, etc.

Fuchsdh

None of the things you listed bother me in the slightest. I'm not a big campaign guy though. To me, the medals in multi are an integral part of Halo's identity and to see them sidelined to central white text is saddening. There's also far, far too many of them now, to the point they're basically devalued. Another problem is that they're buried two clicks behind the UI in the post game lobby and the 'top medals' list is conspicuously absent too. I just miss the jolt of awesome that was seeing the big bright multi-kill medals accompanying my massacring on the field.

Ideal world they'd patch the UI and integrate the old medals and lobby system to boot. Remove instant respawn from all non-infinity gametypes, implement fixed weapon spawns, add a visible in game ranking system and flush Active Camo down the shit chute and it might just be my favourite online Halo game. As it stands I'm enjoying my time with Halo 4 but it's missing that extra 5% that made Halo the greatest by a mile. It oftentimes feels mindless. Love the guns and thruster pack though.

If they retcon their own retcon of the visual stuff I'll gladly give you your medals and Active Camo removal :p A glorious day when pigs fly!

Top Bottom