• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

kylej

Banned
yep it's definitely not Halo, which is disappointing because I come to Halo for Halo. Saddest part of Halo 4 to me is seeing the franchise switch from being an industry leader to following in the footsteps of others and gobbling up all their shitty mechanics. Sacrificed its identity for nothing. Right now it seems like good mindless fun but I don't see myself playing this months into the future unless some major, major patches happen.

I'm playing through Requiem at the moment, and not to be negative again, but I really need to get this off my back: The designs of the Forerunner structures in this game don't sit well with me. They look like Mass Effect's take on Forerunner architecture (I think a major part of that is the bloom), and they all seem like they're made out of putty.

Arnie

yep it's definitely not Halo, which is disappointing because I come to Halo for Halo. Saddest part of Halo 4 to me is seeing the franchise switch from being an industry leader to following in the footsteps of others and gobbling up all their shitty mechanics. Sacrificed its identity for nothing. Right now it seems like good mindless fun but I don't see myself playing this months into the future unless some major, major patches happen.

I'd echo these thoughts, sadly.

I'm playing through Requiem at the moment, and not to be negative again, but I really need to get this off my back: The designs of the Forerunner structures in this game don't sit well with me. They look like Mass Effect's take on Forerunner architecture (I think a major part of that is the bloom), and they all seem like they're made out of putty.
Finally, something I don't agree with from you. ;)

I loved the forerunner structures in that mission, stopped and gawped at them on multiple occasions.

It's the level and mission design that stopped the play experience matching the visuals, for me.

Omni

On the contrary, I actually liked the Forerunner structures in the game. Reminds me of Halo Wars.

Anyone want to do a Legendary Spartan Ops run?

On all five missions?

EDIT Whoa, look who's no longer a junior!

1tumblr_lgp6q5NhE21qcjtu8o1_500.gif

MrBig

This post is completely wrong.

ElRenoRaven

Yup. I was going to post thoughts but Campaign wise I really think Ghaleon has nailed it perfectly. It's like he's reading my mind and he puts it a hell of a lot more eloquently then I ever could. I agree with him almost 100 percent. I also agree with the multiplayer complaints of others I've seen be it map design, gametype settings, armor abilities, ordnance drops, etc. Then I think the one thing we can all agree on is that UI. It's simply one of the worst I've ever seen.

WJD

Nah, exteriors look great - especially juxtaposed against more natural environments.

Interiors however... Eh, still not the most interesting looking of places.

Tfw 3 killing frenzies, 2 running riots and a rampage in capture the flag on ragnarok. Went plus 50. Didn't touch the stinkin flag once!

Regicide is really good to boost your K/D and just mindlessly kill noobs who keep rushing at you. The waypoint just keeps delivering new players to kill. Plus I get an overshield just for staying alive.

Finally, something I don't agree with from you. ;)

I loved the forerunner structures in that mission, stopped and gawped at them on multiple occasions.

It's the level and mission design that stopped the play experience matching the visuals, for me.
I really like the Forerunner structures depicted in the skyboxes on "Requiem" because they give off that metallic quality of past Halo games. I think my main problem is that they feel like putty to me, which tells me that it has more to do with the engine than it does with the actual design. I want that more metallic feel back. Maybe they'll grow on me.

This post is completely wrong.
So I'm wrong about the Forerunner structures not sitting well with me? Okay.

Omni

Can someone explain the weapon spawning system to me?

I thought we were supposed to get indicators when weapons were being dropped off or something. I'm pretty sure that we don't, unless I'm missing it in the awful HUD. I feel like the only weapons on the maps are the ones at spawn... Plus can we go back to the old spawning system of previous Halos in Forge? Haven't used it yet.

Pop

Guess I'm just odd. I like the campaign so far, and mp is fun. Needs a few tweaks, but fun.

I agree.

The opinions you get from people that know in depth about Halo lore don't seem to match the people who just love a great Multiplayer. It's like the two can't exist because those lore nuts will nitpick until they convinced themselves this game is somehow "not halo" but continued to play Reach.

Willeth

You and me both. Just another for the quickly increasing bug list.

No, you don't get it! Because only a small percentage of people know how to do it and it means that a weapon becomes more powerful than was intended or designed, that means it requires more skill!

Why wouldn't I be?

"I played CTF and didn't even go for the flag at all. Man what is that even for?"

If you're playing a Slayer match, great. High kill streaks are impressive. If you're playing an objective gametype and not working toward the objective then what's the point?

mhi

Can someone explain the weapon spawning system to me?

I thought we were supposed to get indicators when weapons were being dropped off or something. I'm pretty sure that we don't, unless I'm missing it in the awful HUD. I feel like the only weapons on the maps are the ones at spawn... Plus can we go back to the old spawning system of previous Halos in Forge? Haven't used it yet.

I think you have to be in proximity to get the indicator the weapons are dropped.

FyreWulff

Something I just saw Godly point out that I didn't know yet:

When playing a film in Theater for a Forge map, lighting is not generated

Defect

Tons of shit that needs to be fixed/nerfed.

Picking up the flag when sprinting will not allow you to scope with the pistol and when you shoot, the rof messes up until you are shot at once.

Party splitting- I've been searching in FULL TEAMS and for some odd reason it splits my team up because of JIP. Fix that now!

Joining in Progress- Seriously! Give me a fucking toggle for this crap! There have been so many times when I'm searching alone/with a party and we join a session only to lose...by a lot.

Wall glitches- on Complex, Haven

Weapons Despawning in 12 seconds...you want weapon variety but you make every damn weapon vanish quickly...I don't even...

Bad hosts- Don't know if they could do anything about this but if they can, then fix.

Player feedback- The hitmarkers aren't doing anything. I need to see the players glow or something when I shoot at them. The last DMR shot's bloom has been terrible unless you scope on the head in the last few days. Was perfect on Day 1. It's like I'm doing nothing to the player.

Killcams- are terrible Fix them or just remove them completely.

Dat horrible UI/Searching- I don't know whether I'm searching or not with this UI. It's so glitchy. When searching for a match (mostly ctf playlist) it searches for like 15 seconds or so and then says "MATCHMAKING ABORTED". It's been saying that a lot.

Joining other people's lobby's- When the party leader is bringing the whole party or just joining alone, sometimes it glitches up and says "Joining Party" and doesn't go away or it flickers. It appears and disappears rapidly and I can't do anything but reset Halo 4.

Jetpack, prom vision, camo should die in a fire. Maybe even hardlight.

Am I missing anything?

Someone better read this :p

ElRenoRaven

No, you don't get it! Because only a small percentage of people know how to do it and it means that a weapon becomes more powerful than was intended or designed, that means it requires more skill!

Call me crazy but I like to play a game the way it was intended and I doubt they intended for that to happen. Keep in mind I do know you're joking. So this isn't aimed at you.

MrBig

What a productive discussion we're having here. Relax. It's just an opinion, dear.

To be clear, my response was meant to mirror your critique of the environments. The explanation you offered for your feelings, a vague unreasonable remark, was ridiculous and I felt the need to point it out. Nothing more.

Omni

I think you have to be in proximity to get the indicator the weapons are dropped.

So... it's luck then? They spawn in different locations each time, don't they?

Somewhat unrelated, but there needs to be some BR/DMR/LRs on the map at spawn, IMO. I find that I'm using a lot of ammo very quickly in this game. Seems like I'm burning through all the ammo after just killing a few dudes (Light Rifle is probably worst offender).

Schmitty

How I feel at the moment too. The classic BR being back feels great and is the reason I'm still playing, but I hate ordinances and no weapons at all being on the map. At least put the basic loadout weapons so I can pick up ammo.

"I played CTF and didn't even go for the flag at all. Man what is that even for?"

If you're playing a Slayer match, great. High kill streaks are impressive. If you're playing an objective gametype and not working toward the objective then what's the point?

One of the objectives in halo is to kill the enemy team. I did that 53 times and only died three times. I'm amazing and we won anyway. Stop being such a thoroughly furious bk.

WJD

Fuck ammo despawning:

I get a killing spree, activating a personal ordnance and I call in an Incineration Cannon. Seconds later I get toasted by a banshee but luckily I spawn very close to where I just died, take out the banshee with plasma pistol and grenades and proceed to run over to my body ready to take back the IC only for it to disappear.

Just what is the point?

To be clear, my response was meant to mirror your critique of the environments. The explanation you offered for your feelings, a vague unreasonable remark, was ridiculous and I felt the need to point it out. Nothing more.
Then if anything, you're being just as ridiculous. You're acting as if I personally insulted you or something. If you feel differently then respond and say so. Don't just post "WRONG!" and expect that to lead to a better discussion. If you thought I was being too vague, then respond and ask, "What do you mean by 'putty'?" Or ask for clarification. It's not helpful at all to do what you just did.

Striker

WelcometoHaloGAF.jpg

Though, let's be honest. The map is easy as hell to spawn camp, and you're also given a ton of strong vehicles to run amuck on your enemies. Stevie Wonder could see this happening a mile away.

Talents

Banned
Fuck ammo despawning:

I get a killing spree, activating a personal ordnance and I call in an Incineration Cannon. Seconds later I get toasted by a banshee but luckily I spawn very close to where I just died, take out the banshee with plasma pistol and grenades and proceed to run over to my body ready to take back the IC only for it to disappear.

Just what is the point?

I think it's to try and decrease the amount of power weapons on the map. If they didn't despawn quickly, there'd be power weapons everywhere.

MrBig

Then if anything, you're being just as ridiculous.

I was being purposely facetious. Move on from that.

If you want to have an actual discussion I'd be happy to oblige, but I just can't take any post seriously when they call something in to question and don't give any reasoning to go along with the complaints.

We really need campaign theater.

ElRenoRaven

I think it's to try and decrease the amount of power weapons on the map. If they didn't despawn quickly, there'd be power weapons everywhere.

Well then reduce the amount of power weapons you give out to begin with. That's a prime example of why the personal ordinance drops screw the game. Hell it's an example of why just ordinance drops in general suck.

WJD

WHY THE FUCK IS THERE A GAUSS HOG

A perfectly fun game of BTB was just completely and utterly ruined by it just then.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Do you eventually get more emblem backgrounds? Slim pickings for combinations right now.. I wouldn't mind if they had given us more of those instead of more and more emblem foregrounds.

MrBig

Do you eventually get more emblem backgrounds? Slim pickings for combinations right now.. I wouldn't mind if they had given us more of those instead of more and more emblem foregrounds.

Yes, the last emblem pack is unlocked somewhere in the SR30 range I believe.

Top Bottom