• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
I played Relay for the first time yesterday in the GAF league, wasn't too impressed with it. I didn't like how there didn't seem to be a quick way to get back up to the top outer rim if you were on the ground level. You had to either run to one of the mid points to take a ramp, or take one of the ramps from the middle structure. Seems like a few lift placements would have been a good thing for it.

If we were to put Relay into matchmaking, we'd definitely be making a few changes to the map.

JHall

Can't talk shit unless you list your own.

Also RIP Happy Birthday Tawpgun

1. Prisoner
2. Damnation (Halo CE version)
3. Chill out
4. Hang Em' High
5. Midship
6. Lockout
7 Sanc (H2 version)
8. Wizard
9 Battle Creak
10. Headlong (H2 version)

Ramirez

What kind of changes does it need?

Mainly what I just said, there were countless times where I was down low running like a chicken with its head cut off trying to find a way back to the top outer rim. I also witnessed Roche run into walls trying to escape as I killed him on the bottom, lol.

Also, I'm sorry for for the ninja Roche. <3

IHaveIce

Banned
I played Relay for the first time yesterday in the GAF league, wasn't too impressed with it. I didn't like how there didn't seem to be a quick way to get back up to the top outer rim if you were on the ground level. You had to either run to one of the mid points to take a ramp, or take one of the ramps from the middle structure. Seems like a few lift placements would have been a good thing for it.

yeah you're right, the jetpack advantage on the map is big. What did you play on it?
I really liked multi team oddball and 4 vs 4 CTF on it

Aggrotek

Mainly what I just said, there were countless times where I was down low running like a chicken with its head cut off trying to find a way back to the top outer rim. I also witnessed Roche run into walls trying to escape as I killed him on the bottom, lol.

Also, I'm sorry for for the ninja Roche. <3

I felt the same way. I kept feeling trapped every time I went down to help him.

TCKaos

Do the missions in Spartan Ops connect to the CGI in any way? I honestly can't tell.

Yes, very much so for the most part.

The CGI for the first episode introduces Majestic and has Sarah Palmer start briefing the SIVs on how there are still a great deal of Covenant squatters digging in to Requiem. The first mission is directly connected to the CGI and the rest are tangentially related missions dealing with securing areas so that the Infinity science team can take up positions on the planet to study it. Chapter 5 ends with Crimson discovering and securing a Forerunner artifact that is then prominently on display in the second CGI episode.

Episode 2 Chapter 5 is the only one that I think really connects with the CGI in any way, with Crimson resecuring a facility that Infinity science teams had been using to study Requiem to find clues as to what happened to Glassman and Gagarin. Unable to find any conclusive evidence of what exactly occurred the UNSC has no choice but to enlist Halsey in Episode 3. Chapters 3 and 4 of Episode 3 have you looking for more clues as to what could have happened to Glassman and what the artifact you recovered earlier actually does with the help of Halsey.

Episode 4 has Jul 'Mdama appear with Glassman captured, giving us a slight idea as to what it is the artifact actually does. The UNSC doesn't know that Glassman has been captured by the Storm Faction, but we already know that the UNSC has been trying to kill or capture Jul for some time. Palmer gets intel that Jul has been spotted on Requiem during Chapter 1 and you spend Chapters 2/3/4 chasing him down. He had some kind of artifact with him called "The Didact's Gift" which he dropped, and you take that back to Galileo Base, which then comes under attack.

The Episode 5 trailer shows that this new artifact is actually
a Forerunner AI based on a human brain

So that's the plot to SPARTAN-Ops thus far in brief, as well as how the CGI and the actual missions are connected.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

There is actually a little jump you can do to make it up there right by where the man cannons are.

MLG put a little crate there for Dallas so people can jump up into the flag more easily.

edit: Also, don't forget your league matches people!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44907515&postcount=139

Ramirez

There is actually a little jump you can do to make it up there right by where the man cannons are.

MLG put a little crate there for Dallas so people can jump up into the flag more easily.

But the man cannons are only at like 2 spots, right? It was my first time playing it, so I'm sure I'd get better at navigating, but that stuck out to me instantly.

I'm still kinda pissed how that their are only 4 4v4 maps and that we may nned to rely on forge (most likely shitty forge too) to give the playlist more diversity.

One thing I never understood, and hope that 343 reverses the trend. Why don't we see mlg maps in regular matchmaking.

Tashi

But the man cannons are only at like 2 spots, right? It was my first time playing it, so I'm sure I'd get better at navigating, but that stuck out to me instantly.

By like the giants forks and shit? Not sure now, I haven't played a match on it in a while.

Gazzawa

Also: teabagging is dead in this game.
Anyone who knows me knows that this a crucial part to my Halo game.
I kill someone : I'm gun tbag
You kill someone: I'm gun tbag

J10

Banned
Is anyone else surprised at the push BTB-style gameplay is getting in Halo 4? I never thought BTB was the flagship part of MP, I always considered 4v4 arena style gameplay to be the flagship.

I am. While I enjoy BTB, I only play Halo socially and it is impossible to get eight people together to play matchmaking with any regularity because my friends and associates have all grown up, established careers, had kids, and turned into bar-filling simpletons who now spend what little gaming time they have playing Call of Duty. Four people is almost always doable though, so I would rather stick to 4v4.

TCKaos

I always teabag when I know there's someone around a corner using PV. I'd like to think my Spartan is saying, "LOL do something!"

I did this, but then I got Stealth. It's honestly a game changer and it won me a CTF match as Red Team on Complex. I was able to secure Blue's flag and at least move it to the center area where sword spawns three times. There were always two guys camping flag with PV, just waiting for someone to show up, so I made a slow approach with Camo and Stealth, hiding behind trees and then cloaking through small open areas to hide behind other pieces of the buildings so that they couldn't see me when they scanned.

It's amazing how easy it is to shit on kids when they don't have their crutch.

Tashi

I did this, but then I got Stealth. It's honestly a game changer and it won me a CTF match as Red Team on Complex. I was able to secure Blue's flag and at least move it to the center area where sword spawns three times. There were always two guys camping flag with PV, just waiting for someone to show up, so I made a slow approach with Camo and Stealth, hiding behind trees and then cloaking through small open areas to hide behind other pieces of the buildings so that they couldn't see me when they scanned.

It's amazing how easy it is to shit on kids when they don't have their crutch.

Stealth removes you from PV? Which Specialization is that?

The specializations are already changing the meta game. Pretty neat

rakka

I pretty much use either resupply+dexterity or mobility+stealth.

also, XP per match seems to max out at 2981XP, I can't seem to get any higher. can anyone confirm this is the most you can get not counting commendations per match?

not that it really matters, SR130 doesn't seem very far away anyway.

doesn't remove totally, but you don't appear red in PV, only a blue outline. sprint is also near dead silent and assassinations are slightly quicker. complete wetwork to unlock stealth.

TCKaos

The specializations are already changing the meta game. Pretty neat

Wetworks. It's a Support Upgrade, so you'll have to give up Ammo or Dexterity or one of those. If you're using it you show up as a piece of scenery when you're out in the open and you won't show up at all behind any kind of scenery, whereas without it you show up as a giant red blob in the open and a red outline behind walls.

It works similarly to how with the VISR Brute Stalkers would show up as a faint yellow line instead of red, which makes me wonder why it isn't part of the Stalker specialization which specifically uses technology reverse engineered from Brute Stalker armor...

EDIT: Figured this is handy info for the top of the page:
Wetwork-SU(Stealth)
Operator-TP(Wheelman)
Pioneer-TP( Fast Track)
Pathfinder-SU (Gunner)
Engineer-SU (Drop Recon)
Stalker-SU (Nemesis)
Rogue-SU (Stability)
Tracker-TP (Requisition)

http://halo4nation.com/specializations/

* TP = Tac package, SU = Support upgrade

Ramirez

I pretty much use either resupply+dexterity or mobility+stealth.

also, XP per match seems to max out at 2981XP, I can't seem to get any higher. can anyone confirm this is the most you can get not counting commendations per match?

not that it really matters, SR130 doesn't seem very far away anyway.

doesn't remove totally, but you don't appear red in PV, only a blue outline. sprint is also near dead silent and assassinations are slightly quicker. complete wetwork to unlock stealth.

Man, to read your posts I would think 130 is a long ways away.

Tashi

Ahh Wetworks, yes. Pretty cool

Finally got my specialization code.

Once I hit 50, stability here we come.

...Er, which specialization gives you stability?

Rogue I believe. I just enlisted in it.

Also, still pretty ridiculous that I have to Google the specializations and what they do instead of either having that information in game or worst case in the manual (LOL what manual)

Tunavi

Banned
Lets get some SYMMETRICAL SMALL SIMPLE 4v4 forge maps into matchmaking. Game needs em badly. Can't play haven and adrift one after the other forever

Ramirez

I mean honestly, how hard could it be for professional map designers to pump out simple remakes of Asylum/Lockout/Warlock in Forge? They probably have tools to help them make it quicker that aren't even available to us.

*shrug*

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I mean honestly, how hard could it be for professional map designers to pump out simple remakes of Asylum/Lockout/Warlock in Forge? They probably have tools to help them make it quicker that aren't even available to us.

*shrug*
Sounds like CA has a job ahead of them.

rakka

Man, to read your posts I would think 130 is a long ways away.

I don't have 2XP. 1-50 took a while. hit 50 about a week maybe two ago. been playing more often recently. almost SR70 now. each specialization is the same amount of XP. getting to SR130 will be nothing compared to hitting inheritor in reach.

am I missing something here?

and yes, I have many complaints about the game, but I haven't given up on it. I still try to have fun.

Karl2177

No offense but that's not that helpful. I'm thinking something like this:

Code:
Name:    Wetwork                Operator                         -->
Level 1:  DMR skin               BR skin                         ...
Level 2:  Wet gauntlets          Operation gauntlets             ...
Level 3:  Green visor            Purple visor                    ...
 |               ...                   ...                       ...
 |               ...                   ...                       ...
 v
And so on.

Tashi

If there is a wall between you and the opponent, you don't appear at all. Dude's testing out all the upgrades

Holy shit! That's huge!

I also was able to use Drop Recon (the Engineering mod that allows you to see Global Ordnance drops before they drop) and the Mod is decent. The way it works is that 5 seconds before the weapon drops, it essentially shows up on the HUD just like it normally would (as buggy as it is sometimes as well I've noticed) and then BAM 5 seconds later, the weapon is there. I can see being more useful on smaller maps rather than the larger ones just because you have a short window of time to get to the weapon before everyone else knows. I actually can't wait to use it on Abandon because of the sniper and rockets that drop on that map. Potentially a huge advantage given the way that Global Ordnance works.

*shrug*
Imagine if Microsoft released a pack of a few 4v4 remakes for free.
Ugh, that would be a game changer.

Edit: More realistically, purchase the pack with Dew XP points.

Top Bottom